Help with Count formula

I want to count the number of times two or more things appear in the same
row.  For instance:

Row___A_____B_____
1          10        A
2          12        A
3          14        B
4          10        A
5          11        B

For the above example, I would like to count the number of times "10" and
"A" appear in the same row.

So the desired output should read "2".

Any ideas on how to count based on multiple search variables?

Thanks.

=sumproduct((a2:a22=10)*(b2:b22="b"))

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
"Scott" <Scott@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to count the number of times two or more things appear in the same
> row.  For instance:
>
> Row___A_____B_____
> 1          10        A
> 2          12        A
> 3          14        B
> 4          10        A
> 5          11        B
>
> For the above example, I would like to count the number of times "10" and
> "A" appear in the same row.
>
> So the desired output should read "2".
>
> Any ideas on how to count based on multiple search variables?
>
> Thanks.

0
Don
2/8/2010 6:36:57 PM
As a guess you will be looking for the SumProduct Formula...

=sumproduct(--(A1:A5 = 10), --(B1:B5 = "A"))

Here is a link...
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Scott" wrote:

> I want to count the number of times two or more things appear in the same
> row.  For instance:
>
> Row___A_____B_____
> 1          10        A
> 2          12        A
> 3          14        B
> 4          10        A
> 5          11        B
>
> For the above example, I would like to count the number of times "10" and
> "A" appear in the same row.
>
> So the desired output should read "2".
>
> Any ideas on how to count based on multiple search variables?
>
> Thanks.

Event ID: 8270 ,LDAP Error--Need help to fix it..
Event Type: Error (win2000 Srv+exchange2000) Event Source: MSExchangeAL Event Category: LDAP Operations Event ID: 8270 Computer: Exchange_2000_Server_Name Description: LDAP returned the error [b] Administration Limit Exceeded. dn: "GUID=8F37136AFCEE0B41BDD353B78F8E6067" changetype: Modify mail:USER1@Domain_Name.Domain_Suffix proxyAddresses:MS:NET/PO/User1 : CCMAIL:User1, PO at NET : SMTP:USER1@EMAIL.Domain_Name.Domain_Suffix : X400:c=US;a= ;p=Exchange_Org_Name;o=Exchange_Site_Name;s=Last_Name;g=First_Name; : smtp:USER1@MAILLIST.Domain_Name.Domain_...

Excel and some disappeared sheets

OL2002 Problem : HELP, SOS, MAYDAY

Help With Margin Formula

GETPIVOTDATA data_field help

Help!!!!
I am running Exchange 5.5 on NT 4.0 sp6a. Norton Anti- virus deleted my edb.log file. I have done an on-line restore with Arcserve 2000 and now my directory service won't start. getting 1166 internal processing error. I have been to support and could find anything that helped. Thanks in advance You may want to run eseutil /mh <drive and path to your dir.edb and include the dir.edb > c:\edb.dmp. Find this file and see if your dir is also inconsistent. If so you will need to restore your dir. -- Nan Bennett (MSFT) Microsoft Exchange Support Please do not send e-mail...

Formula to display nearest following Thursday in mm/dd/yyyy format
Hello, I have been reading and trying different suggestions here to no avail. What I need is a formula to calculate the nearest following thursday, and display it in mm/dd/yyyy format. To be clear, I have a column of varying dates. I need a formula to return the next thursday for each of those dates. To illustrate, say I have 05/22/2010, 05/23/201, 05/24/2010, & 05/26/2010 in cells A1 through A4. In cells B1 through B4, I would like to see 05/27/2010, 05/27/2010, 05/27/2010, & 05/27/2010 representing the following thursday. Thank you for your help! BW T...

Bank One Download is not working

Find Highest Score In List Formula
Hello all, I'm looking to return the highest score for a users with multiple scores in a list of other users with multiple scores. Thank you, Ron Say the data is like: frank 56 joe 9 frank 74 frank 101 jim 143 jim 146 joe 200 frank 164 joe 135 joe 127 joe 177 jim 10 jim 135 jim 53 frank 190 joe 109 jim 193 jim 29 jim 8 jim 107 joe 93 joe 9 jim 153 jim 186 joe 36 jim 174 jim 141 frank 55 jim 92 frank 141 joe 15 frank 5 frank 34 joe 161 jim 103 joe 88 and we want the max score for frank: =MAX(IF(A1:A36="frank",B1:B36,""...

help #2

Simple Formula
I have a formula, bt4/37 (bt4 = 6) and it returns 5. However, my calculator and an Access database returns 16. Can someone tell me why Excel returns 5? thanks. -- Kat3n hi, Either I'm reading this post incorrectly or you have a broken calculator and are gettting results out of excel & access that are equally incorrect. 6/37= 0.162 recurring So if we assume that your result of 16 is a typo and you meant .16 there must be something your not telling us about the formula your using in Excel. How is the 6 derived in BT4 ? What is the format of BT4 ? Post the pr...

problem opening up program/file

Credit Card Downloading HELP!
I had 2005 and this worked ok but not on 2006. I download my 20 credit card transactions in QIF format. Money says it has 20 to review so I click that and they simply do not appear in the register! The the heck?!? I've tried quite a few things already to no avail. Deleted history and temp, deleted the statement and previous transactions/statements, repaired my money file a few times, tried to import in a different file but it just doesn't show up. Suggestions please...tia In microsoft.public.money, lucas.allen@gmail.com wrote: >I had 2005 and this worked ok but not on 2006....

Errror Help: character ' ', hexadecimal value 0x2 is illegal in xml documents
what does this error mean? how can i fix this? thanks, raj * raj wrote in microsoft.public.dotnet.xml: >what does this error mean? how can i fix this? You have an octet 0x02 or perhaps a character reference &#x02; in the document. This is not allowed in XML 1.0; the latter is allowed in XML 1.1 but your version of the .NET framework probably does not support that, and most likely you have not declared this version either. In other words, your document includes random binary data and is there- fore not an XML document. You have to correct the document before you can successfully...

How can I count unique values in a query in the report footer 12-16-07
I have a report that gives me the count of the status of individuals . This works fine as long is there is only one record in the query (in my query there is one record per month). When I query 12 months (individuals may appear in various months) it counts each record of an individual. For Example in a query considering 12 months for a widow Jones it may count her 12 times and for a survivor named Smith may count her 8 times: Widows 12 Survivors 8 I would like to add a count in the report footer that will tell me how many unique individuals I have in the report (Example widows: Tot...