Help with a formula..

I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one
sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two
together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded
type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our
quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following
specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold
type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already
tried it.. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
KK
0
KaseyKern (4)

You'd need to use an event macro instead of a formula. One way:

Put this in your worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab
and choose View Code):

    Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
        Const sPLEASED As String = "We are pleased to submit our " & _
            "quotation for # according to the following specifications."
        Dim nPos As Long
        Dim sRef As String

        nPos = InStr(sPLEASED, "#")
        sRef = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("J10").Text
        With Range("A1")
            .Font.Bold = False
            .Value = Application.Substitute(sPLEASED, "#", sRef)
            .Characters(nPos, Len(sRef)).Font.Bold = True
        End With
    End Sub

In article <00EE7882-66ED-48DA-9746-DC83FE1AD628@microsoft.com>,
 "Kasey Kern" <KaseyKern@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one
> sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two
> together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded
> type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our
> quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following
> specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold
> type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already
> tried it.. Any suggestions?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
8/31/2005 8:52:06 PM
I put that into the sheet and nothing happened.. Is there something that I
need to do to get that macro to run?

"JE McGimpsey" wrote:

> You'd need to use an event macro instead of a formula. One way:
>
> Put this in your worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab
> and choose View Code):
>
>     Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
>         Const sPLEASED As String = "We are pleased to submit our " & _
>             "quotation for # according to the following specifications."
>         Dim nPos As Long
>         Dim sRef As String
>
>         nPos = InStr(sPLEASED, "#")
>         sRef = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("J10").Text
>         With Range("A1")
>             .Font.Bold = False
>             .Value = Application.Substitute(sPLEASED, "#", sRef)
>             .Characters(nPos, Len(sRef)).Font.Bold = True
>         End With
>     End Sub
>

> In article <00EE7882-66ED-48DA-9746-DC83FE1AD628@microsoft.com>,
>  "Kasey Kern" <KaseyKern@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> > I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell on one
> > sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the two
> > together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be bolded
> > type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit our
> > quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following
> > specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be bold
> > type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell.. already
> > tried it.. Any suggestions?

0
KaseyKern (4)
8/31/2005 9:52:21 PM
How about?

"right-click the worksheet tab
 and choose View Code):"

Then paste it there

--
Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

(No private emails please)

"Kasey Kern" <KaseyKern@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I put that into the sheet and nothing happened.. Is there something that I
> need to do to get that macro to run?
>
> "JE McGimpsey" wrote:
>
>> You'd need to use an event macro instead of a formula. One way:
>>
>> Put this in your worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab
>> and choose View Code):
>>
>>     Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
>>         Const sPLEASED As String = "We are pleased to submit our " & _
>>             "quotation for # according to the following specifications."
>>         Dim nPos As Long
>>         Dim sRef As String
>>
>>         nPos = InStr(sPLEASED, "#")
>>         sRef = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("J10").Text
>>         With Range("A1")
>>             .Font.Bold = False
>>             .Value = Application.Substitute(sPLEASED, "#", sRef)
>>             .Characters(nPos, Len(sRef)).Font.Bold = True
>>         End With
>>     End Sub
>>

>> In article <00EE7882-66ED-48DA-9746-DC83FE1AD628@microsoft.com>,
>>  "Kasey Kern" <KaseyKern@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>
>> > I am trying to create a formula that will take information from a cell
>> > on one
>> > sheet and combine it with text on another sheet. I know how to get the
>> > two
>> > together. My problem is that I want the part that is brought in to be
>> > bolded
>> > type. Here is what I have in the formula. ="we are pleased to submit
>> > our
>> > quotation for "&(cell reference)&" according to the following
>> > specifications." What I want to do is have the cell reference part be
>> > bold
>> > type. Is there a way to do that? It doesnt work if I bold the cell..
>> > already
>> > tried it.. Any suggestions?

0
terre081 (3244)
8/31/2005 10:02:15 PM
That is what I did. I saved the sheet.. nothing happens.. I enabled the
macros too. anything else?

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

> How about?
>

> "right-click the worksheet tab
>  and choose View Code):"
>
> Then paste it there
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Peo Sjoblom
>
> (No private emails please)
>

> "Kasey Kern" <KaseyKern@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I put that into the sheet and nothing happened.. Is there something that I
> > need to do to get that macro to run?
> >
> > "JE McGimpsey" wrote:
> >
> >> You'd need to use an event macro instead of a formula. One way:
> >>
> >> Put this in your worksheet code module (right-click the worksheet tab
> >> and choose View Code):
> >>
> >>     Private Sub Worksheet_Calculate()
> >>         Const sPLEASED As String = "We are pleased to submit our " & _
> >>             "quotation for # according to the following specifications."
> >>         Dim nPos As Long
> >>         Dim sRef As String
> >>
> >>         nPos = InStr(sPLEASED, "#")
> >>         sRef = Sheets("Sheet2").Range("J10").Text
> >>         With Range("A1")
> >>             .Font.Bold = False
> >>             .Value = Application.Substitute(sPLEASED, "#", sRef)
> >>             .Characters(nPos, Len(sRef)).Font.Bold = True
> >>         End With
> >>     End Sub

0
KaseyKern (4)
9/1/2005 1:27:04 PM
Did you cause a calculation (F9)?

In article <56053AFB-637F-4E83-9B13-E15048CAE2C4@microsoft.com>,
 "Kasey Kern" <KaseyKern@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> That is what I did. I saved the sheet.. nothing happens.. I enabled the
> macros too. anything else?
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

help with formula please
new to this need help in a formula that will give me the percentage of two numbers. In other words a1=255 b1=8990.7c1=answer to question 255 is what percentage of 8990.7? =A1/B1 "TechnoGram" wrote: > new to this need help in a formula that will give me the percentage of > two numbers. In other words a1=255 b1=8990.7c1=answer to question 255 > is what percentage of 8990.7? > > How would you do it with plain ole math? -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "TechnoGram" <mumzee3@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1181411910....

Out of Office Help
I am unable to turn off my out of office rule. Here is the message: The Out of Office option button selection could not be set. The client operation failed. Any ideas on how to turn this off? Thanks! Sara Client operation failed usually indicates a corrupt mailbox . Are you using Microsoft Exchange ? >-----Original Message----- >I am unable to turn off my out of office rule. Here is >the message: The Out of Office option button selection >could not be set. The client operation failed. Any ideas >on how to turn this off? >Thanks! >Sara >. > ...

Help!!!!
Hi, I have sheet with the persons names and the papers they want to be delivered from a-h columns. Now I do calculate it manually and enter the weekly toltal in to column I. I have these papers and their prices. D. Express �0.35 D. Mail �0.40 D. Mirror �0.32 D. Telegraph �0.55 The Sentinel �0.30 and so on. Could you help to make formula like (D.Express+D. Mail +Sentinel)= �1.05 sometimes the paper price change so i have to change about 230 cells individually. thanks HI DAn, I use the secound case. ie Name | Papers | | Bill | D.Mirror | D.Telegraph | ...

HELP! Send Mail Fail, WHY??
One of my user was able to send and receive mail find when he is at home using his cable modem. When he is at his son's home at VA he was able to receive mail but not send. This happen to him in a couple other places but not all the places. Does anyone know what is going on with my exchange 5.5 server or is it the ISP at where he is at is the problem? Thanks YH Yieng Him <yhim@mail.med.upenn.edu> wrote in news:BBDE50BB.545F%yhim@mail.med.upenn.edu: > One of my user was able to send and receive mail find when he is at > home using his cable modem. When he is at his son...

RPC over HTTP setup help. RPC DIag returns no results.
I have been trying for several weeks to get RPC over HTTP workign in our environment. I refuse to put an ISA in place and am currently behing a Pix 520 ( which is not the issue, all logs show no denied traffic) I also see no error logs in either of my Exchange servers. Please any help is appreciated. From my Front end Server I see the followign when running RPCDIAG ** Microsoft Windows [Version 5.2.3790] (C) Copyright 1985-2003 Microsoft Corp. C:\Program Files\Windows Resource Kits\Tools>rpcdump /p ncacn_http Querying Endpoint Mapper Database... RpcMgmtEpEltInqNext:(Access is denied....

'OR' formula error
I have this formula that produces an error in a column: =IF(OR((ROUND(N3,2)=ROUND(H3,2)), TRIM(H3)="$-"),"OK","ERROR!") Columns H and N are both currency. If they're equal it's supposed to display ok. If there is no value in H it's also supposed to show ok, otherwise create an error. The auditing steps look like this: =IF(OR((26.8=ROUND("$- ",2)), TRIM(H3)="$-"),"OK","ERROR!") =IF(OR((26.8=#VALUE!), TRIM(H3)="$-"),"OK","ERROR!") =IF(OR((#VALUE!), TRIM(H3)="$-"),"OK&q...

FORMULA USING MASTER QTY
have a 12 month period where i enter a master qty per month not to exceed 6 (ie 1.3 = 9 units) how do i sum the period and have excel calculate the formula. ns what would that formula be? todd, I don't know about anyone else but I don't follow what it is you are asking. Can you give more details and possibly a (text) example. -- Regards Sandy sandymann@mailinator.com Replace@mailinator with @tiscali.co.uk "todd" <todd@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A1450E1A-1C25-48EA-A125-45AA529222C0@microsoft.com... > have a 12 month period where i enter...

Office update screwup
Word (Office OSX) has been getting buggy, so I went to MS site and downloaded the update. When I installed, it wants me to re-enter my CD key, which I have lost(along with the CD a couple of moves ago- the life of a student!) I never thought about this as I had a registered version and I thought it would just recognize that and just install the update. If I would have known, I could have jotted down the serial number before the upgrade. Is there some way I can access the serial number off my computer? (Is it still there?) I have lots of projects in the next little bit, and while I can ope...

Error opening excel!!...help needed.
A colleague is having a problem opening a particular excel file. She gets the following error message: Excel.exe has generated errors and will be closed by windows. You will need to restart the program. An error log is being created. It is only happening with this file and she is able to open all other excel files successfully. Any ides as to why this is happening and more importantly is there a way that we can recover the file? Chip Pearson has some notes to help diagnose startup problems at: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/StartupErrors.htm A couple of guesses. 1. Clean up the win...

Formula to copy related information from sheet 1 to sheet 2
Hello guys, I hope you'll can help me. i have the information below in sheet 1. i need the information to be filtered, copy and paste in sheet 2 according to the month. example. if october, i need all information for the month of october to be copy and past from column A, B, C sheet 1 to column A, B, C sheet 2 please help. A B C Serial Number Quantities (Kilos) Date 8.1122 539,470 22/10/2009 8.1122 403,697 22/10/2009 8.1122 643,710 05/11/2009 8.1122...

Outlook 97 help please
I know it is old, but the company I work for uses Outlook 97 for email. My problem is that even when someone sends me the simplest of emails with nothing but text in the body, 90%of the time it arrives as an attached text document that I have to open in notepad. If I want to reply, I have to copy their message from notepad and paste it back into the reply window. My computer at work is the only one that appears to do this, but nobody here can see where my options are set any different than theirs. I would love it if someone could tell me how to fix this problem. I have the the latest serv...

Outlook 2003 help please..
I have a Samsung i830 and had some phone numbers transferred from an older phone into it and sync-ed it to my computer with Active-Sync 3.7.1... It seems to have overridden all of my contacts stored in Outlook 2003 and replaced them with my phonebook contacts. Did I just loose over 2 years of email contacts or is there any way to retrieve them? Matt <mttmrrsn.nospamme@gmail.com> wrote: > I have a Samsung i830 and had some phone numbers transferred from an > older phone into it and sync-ed it to my computer with Active-Sync > 3.7.1... It seems to have overridden all of m...

Excel 2000 insists on typing a formula
I was sent a spreadsheet by a coworker that I want to edit. Specifically, I want to have two date columns, and a third that calculates the number of days between two dates. On a sheet I created from scratch, everything worked fine (format the dates, the "# of days" column formatted as a number). In this sheet nothing works. Every time I try to type a date, i.e. any number with a slash, it assumes I want to type a formula and adds an = sign and then calculates the date a 1/0/1900. It shows my most recently used formulas in the Name Box, which my other sheet doesn't do ...

Time formulae
Hi I use these formulae to insert the date and time in separate cells on a worksheet : A14 =TODAY() B14 =NOW()-TODAY() They update automatically when I open the sheet. It would be better however if they didn't do this until I use the Refresh All function. Is it possible to stop these functions updating until I need them to do so? I know I can switch global options off in the Options section of the program , but I'm loathe to do this for the sake of this one sheet. Grateful for any advice. ...

Implement Help function
Hello, I have a MFC dlg-based application where I want to implement a help function. For example, in Windows XP, going to the 'Properties' of 'My Computer' will show you a window with a question button on the titlebar. Is it possible to have this in dlg-based application?? thx "Wes" <saruman@pandora.be> wrote in message news:uiWUxx5sEHA.4040@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a MFC dlg-based application where I want to implement a help > function. > For example, in Windows XP, going to the 'Properties' of 'My Computer'...

Help exporting the resulting of a sort by Group
HI, I would like to export into excel from MS Project 2007 the result of a sort by Group value within my project. I have created a custom field called area for my project and have assigned an 'area' for each task. If I sort by the group 'area' I get the exact results that I would like to export - the sum of values (such as work, % work complete, etc) for each of my areas. HOWEVER I can not seem to export this into excel. I am not able to figure out how to create a filter that will give me the group by area with the sum totals. Can you help please - is there a...

Please Help! Outlook Task list as HTML?
I urgently need help figuring out a way to convert, publish, export, etc., my Outlook task list as a HTML web page. I need to be able to retain all of the view characteristics of the original task list, i.e., colors, columns, sort, etc.. Really would appreciate any suggestions as I need this for an online meeting Monday night for people outside of our organization who do not have access to our Exchange Server. THANKS!!!! Why not use Outlook Web Access??? You could do screen captures and/or print to PDF files? Do you have the ability to make PDFs? If all else fails, use PRINTSCR...

Help Needed
Good morning: This is an example what I am trying to achieve Col-A Col-C Row 1: Name Address Col-A Col-C Row 4: Name Search Address Search Note: The names & address will be hidden below the respective search Col's. I need to search by name (R-4 / C-A) or by address (R-4 / C-C) and have the corresponding name & address populate R-1 respectively AND THEN CLEAR THE SEARCH CELLS LEAVING THE RESULTS IN R-1. Please keep in mind I am not a programmer. Thank you in adv...

Need help formatting a cell.
Can such a request be done using Excel? I need to enter a time in Cell B18 of 2325 or 11:25pm from that time i need it to calculate that cell B17 is 15 minutes prior to B18 (2310 or 11:10pm) B16 is 20 minutes prior to B18 (2305 or 11:05pm) B15 is 45 minutes prior to B18 (2240 or 10:40pm) B14 is 1 hour prior to B18 (2225 or 10:25pm) B13 is 1 hour 10 minutes prior to B18 (2215 or 10:15pm) and so one...... When i will need to change cell b18 to another time.... I need all my cells to still have the same minutes prior to be calculated and deducted. Sorry if questions is compliacted and conf...

formulae for dates
below formulae =TODAY()-(LEFT(C1,2)*365.25)-((MID(C1,7+FIND("",MID(C1,7,99)),2))*365.25/12) gives an output is mm/dd/yy on entering 0 years x months but if I enter 0 years 10 months or 11 months it gives me wrong date e.g if entered 0 years 10 months it gives 31 april 2006 plz advise thanks Hi Gerald You are missing the space between the quotes in your formula Try =TODAY()-(LEFT(C1,2)*365.25)-((MID(C1,7+FIND(" ",MID(C1,7,99)),2))*365.25/12) -- Regards Roger Govier "Gerald" <Gerald@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8CF4029E-2BAA...

Two identical formulas for a different result?
Hello everyone, :) A very quick question, but nonetheless very intriguing to me (I jus lost 4h on that :( ) I don't understand why my first formula works, and the second and thir don't. {=SUM(IF(FiscYear="2003",IF(IncomeFeeID="RB",Amount,0),0))} =SUMPRODUCT((FiscYear="2003")*(IncomeFeeID="RB")*Amount) (result is #value) =SUMPRODUCT((FiscYear="2003")*(IncomeFeeID="RB"),Amount) (this one could work too I thought, but result in a 0) I am simply trying to sum (amount) when the fiscal year is 2003 an IncomeFeeId is RB......

How do i select different cells to be use in a formula.
Hi I need to know how to select different cells to be used in a formula, but i don't know what is the separator that i need to use to this, see the example bellow Cells that i need to include on my formula: A1 C5 BH32 Thanks. Hi you didn't mention what formula but here's a starting point: =AVERAGE(A1,C5,BH32) or depending on your regional settings =AVERAGE(A1;C5;BH32) hope this helps Cheers JulieD "Manuel" <Manuel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A855A562-725C-4B10-B111-A88F7A767122@microsoft.com... > Hi > > I need to know ho...

Draging Formula
hi Please Please help me!!!!! I have a formula that relates to different sheets and cells in a sumary sheet. what i want to do is drag the cells and instead of the cell reference increasing i want the sheet reference to increase i.e. =Sheet2!A2 draged to; =Sheet3!A2 =Sheet4!A2 et thank you Daniel Daniel Entered in row 2 of a column. =INDIRECT("Sheet" & (ROW()) & "!A2") Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Sat, 31 Jan 2004 12:56:07 -0800, "Daniel Morgan" <Daniel1morgan@aol.com> wrote: >hi > >Please Please help me!!!!!! >I have a formula ...

Help with formula please.
Hi, I have the following formula set up on a sheet called 'Wow' =IF(Wow!A1="90 / 63 reducer", Wow!B1) What I would like to add (in plain speak) is if on Wow sheet, cell A1 says 90 / 75 reducer, enter B1 into sheet 4 cell A4. At the end of the day, what im after is the following: If on Wow sheet, cell A1 says '90 / 75 reducer', enter Wow sheet B1 figure into sheet 4 cell A20, but if on Wow sheet, cell A1 says 'sleeve', enter B1 figure into sheet 4 cell A50, but if on Wow sheet, cell A1 says 'outlet', enter B1 figure into sheet 4 cell A100. I hope ...

Help files...
Hi guys, Has anyone seen a good tutorials on making help files in VS2003? HTML is perfered. AliR. "AliR" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message news:44ef41a2$0$15172$a8266bb1@reader.corenews.com... > Hi guys, > > Has anyone seen a good tutorials on making help files in VS2003? HTML is > perfered. > Can you download a trial copy of RoboHelp or some other help tool? I use ForeHelp, but they went out of business several years ago. -- David Thanks David, I'll look into RoboHelp. Just to clarify I was looking for a tutorial on using the VStudio Help ...