Help to import data from reference workbook

I wasn't sure if  this would require VB or not so I've put this in the
General Question group.
I have 2 workbooks where the first 3 columns of each row (after a title row)
consist of an ID number, a North coordinate and an East Coordinate.  Workbook
A is complete in that every ID for our system is included along with the
coresponding North and East coords.
Workbook B includes a subset of the IDs and only some of the IDs have their
coords in columns B and C.  How do I import the coords into Workbook B
without having to copy/paste a  thousand or more times. Thanks in advance for
any help.
0
JackSpam (2)

Hi!

With both workbooks open you could use a Vlookup formula to get the data
from fileA to fileB. Then after that was completed you could convert the
formulas to constants.

Assume data in fileA is on Sheet1 in the range A2:C100

ID's in fileB are on Sheet1 in the range A2:A50

In B2 of fileB use a formula like this:

=VLOOKUP($A2,[fileA.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$C$100,COLUMN(B$1),0)

Copy across to C2 then down as needed.

Once all the data is returned and you're satisfied, select fileB columns B
and C and then do copy/paste special/values.

Biff

"JackSpam" <JackSpam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I wasn't sure if  this would require VB or not so I've put this in the
> General Question group.
> I have 2 workbooks where the first 3 columns of each row (after a title
> row)
> consist of an ID number, a North coordinate and an East Coordinate.
> Workbook
> A is complete in that every ID for our system is included along with the
> coresponding North and East coords.
> Workbook B includes a subset of the IDs and only some of the IDs have
> their
> coords in columns B and C.  How do I import the coords into Workbook B
> without having to copy/paste a  thousand or more times. Thanks in advance
> for
> any help.

0
biffinpitt (3172)
7/19/2005 5:47:37 AM
Thanks so much for the help. In hind sight it was so simple.  I ended up
expanding the vlookup function  to integrate 3 columns and still had time for
a morning bike ride before temps hit 100. Take care.

"Biff" wrote:

> Hi!
>
> With both workbooks open you could use a Vlookup formula to get the data
> from fileA to fileB. Then after that was completed you could convert the
> formulas to constants.
>
> Assume data in fileA is on Sheet1 in the range A2:C100
>
> ID's in fileB are on Sheet1 in the range A2:A50
>
> In B2 of fileB use a formula like this:
>
> =VLOOKUP($A2,[fileA.xls]Sheet1!$A$2:$C$100,COLUMN(B$1),0)
>
> Copy across to C2 then down as needed.
>
> Once all the data is returned and you're satisfied, select fileB columns B
> and C and then do copy/paste special/values.
>
> Biff
>
> "JackSpam" <JackSpam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I wasn't sure if  this would require VB or not so I've put this in the
> > General Question group.
> > I have 2 workbooks where the first 3 columns of each row (after a title
> > row)
> > consist of an ID number, a North coordinate and an East Coordinate.
> > Workbook
> > A is complete in that every ID for our system is included along with the
> > coresponding North and East coords.
> > Workbook B includes a subset of the IDs and only some of the IDs have
> > their
> > coords in columns B and C.  How do I import the coords into Workbook B
> > without having to copy/paste a  thousand or more times. Thanks in advance
> > for
> > any help.

0
JackSpam (2)

error in importing data
Sorry the error is 0x8004032d ...

If you do not like scripting, you can try GAL Exporter or Fast User Manager & Reports from IMIBO - http://www.imibo.com > > "Ringholz, Blake" <bringholz@nospam.com> wrote in message > news:76AEFC2F-85A7-4666-8262-27FB0737D09A@microsoft.com... >> Hello All - >> >> I need to get an Excel Spreadsheet that lists everyone first name, last >> name, email address, job title, etc pulled from Active Directory. Is >> there an easy way to do this? >> >> Thanks, >> Blake > > > > > ...

Macro help #12
Hi, I am working on a macro in Excel 2003 Pro, and everytime I go to sort a column of data. There are about 10 rows of data in about 200+ columns. I can only get the macro to sort the column that I edited it with. How can I create the macro, so each time I click on the first row of each column, click the macro button I will assign to the toolbar, then that row will be sorted, and do this for each column? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated, Jeff Garrett (user_jeff@hotmail.com) Hi Jeff please post your current code and then we can suggest changes to it. Cheers JulieD "...

How do I prevent "Help" from opening when I open Excel?
Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. How do I pevent this? I only want Excel to open with a new sheet. -- Lee P Lee Help or TaskPane. For Help, you should be able to close it using the "x" and next time open Excel should not display. If TaskPane, go to Tools>Options>View and uncheck "Startup Task Pane" Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:29 -0800, "Lee P" <LeeP@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Whenever I open Excel 2003 the Help feature opens on the right. >How do I pevent this? I only want Exce...

Doing Analysis from large amounts of DATA
Hi all, I have an attachment that's apart of this message & within it I have 3 tabs 1) Revenue 2) Expenses & 3) Net Position. I would like to do some Analysis on the above three thou a way where I can manipulate the Data. How would I go about doing this? I've tried a Pivot Table thou it didn�t work out in the sense that it was messy & just failed in calculating stuff, not sure if I did it right thou.. Would really appreciate all the help as I actually have about 20 of these sheets which from that fall into 4 groups being 5 sheets per group. I hope this all makes sense, wo...

lost data when opening excel workbooks ; text import wizard popup
When opening many of my excel files ,which all have the same modification date, I come across the text import wizard which states that my text in these files is 'delimited'. All of the files ,including a few word doc.s have had their data changed to show all " y " with two dots above the letter for as far as the eye can see. No import or export has been done with the files and no modifications were done on that date, as far as I know. Is this a corruption problem or is their some 'fix' that I am overlooking. Thanks for any ideas. ...

Convert Column to row with variable data
Hi I'm using Excel 2k and I have a spreadsheet that looks like this Name Address Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 and need it to look like this Name Address 1 Address2 Address3 Fred 21 Blah St London Sue Tower 50 London EC2 I have a macro that can convert from column to row but only for a set number of columns. Is there any way to account for the variable amount of data for each address ? Any help much appreciated Thanks David David: I suggest the following formulae - copied down as necessary: C2: =IF(...

Date Range Formula Question
Hello, I'm having trouble with a formula and I'm hoping someone can help. :confused: Sample Data Includes the following: Pay Period Start Pay Period End Pay Period # 12/16/01 12/29/01 26 12/30/01 01/12/02 25 01/13/01 01/26/02 24 01/27/02 02/09/02 23 02/10/02 02/23/02 22 The pay periods continue until there are 26 pay periods for the entire year....

how can I drag formulas with other cell references
example cell A1 contains formula "=stdev(a2:a7) cell a2 contains formula "=stdev(a8:a13) Is it possible to drag the formula down so that cell a3 contains "=stdev(a14:19) and cell a4 contains "=stdev(a20:a25) and so on for cells a5, a6, a7 etc. etc. Hi Bram, See http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/snakecol.htm#snkAddr B1: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) B2: =stdev(OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW()-5,0):OFFSET($A$1,6*ROW(),0)) It was easier to test and verify using SUM instead of stdev, but the formula is same NOTE the formulas are in a different colu...

Importing data into Outlook #2
Is there a process or program with which I can transfer my ACT! data into Outlook contacts? Thanks! ...

Not able to open imported accounts 4.0
We have a situation where we've updated a client from 3.0 to CRM 4.0 and have an import that brings in new Accounts. Unfortunately, we can open accounts that don't have a parent account but can't open the parent account itself. In essence, we have two accounts with another one the parent - we can open ones that show the parent, but again, we get an error - see yor administrator. Is there a rights issue or relational setup we're missing. ...

HELP!!! 08-30-03
please elp me. my mom is a medical transcriber and she has a dictionary she uses through windows 98. and her comp has no memory, so we need to update her operating system inoder to put more memory on there. she needs her dictionary and i was wandering how to access it and if possible how to save it on to a cd. thank you for ur time Dear jason you have to have a dictornary corect i have one i could email you if you like just email me back i mean i use this dictornary really well and it works for 95-Xp so if you want give me a hollar ok peace out danny "jason" <jasonr_206@hotm...

help with installation isue
Hope this is correct NG When I try to run `Karens replicator` (for external backup) My PC automatically runs an installation for publisher 2003 and then gives error message........... Istallation error require file SKU019.CAB then asks for original CD to be inserted. Publisher still works ok I can`t see what the relationship between the 2 are, how do I stop this trying to install? thanks -- Rent a villa in Turkey http://www.freewebs.com/turkeyrent/ I would suggest aksing the folks over at karenware.com. http://www.karenware.com/powertools/troubl...

Using paste in macro but with variable references.
Hi all, I am trying to use the paste function in a macro but it needs to be variable. I have split a list of data (team workloads) into the seperate teams and by days of the week. I now need the macro to compile one book with all the data in order. The headings for each team are already set on a worksheet so the data needs to be entered under each heading For example: Team A Day 1 under the heading "Team A Day 1", Team B Day 1 under the next heading on the same sheet "Team B Day 1". I hit problems as the workload ammount will alter from week to week. So of course asking...

HR Help menu
The Help menu is not available in the Employee file screen. Also there is not at this time any french version help menu available with HR. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/de...

How do I show a data table with legend keys in a line chart?
I am having trouble inserting a data table with legend keys into a line chart that contains a horizontal target line. Can anyone help me? Hi, I tried it in both 2007 and 2003 and had no problems. We need more infomation, can you post a sample of the chart somewhere. The only issue I have is that the target line is displayed on the data table, which I would prefer that it not be. -- Thanks, Shane Devenshire "excelbanker" wrote: > I am having trouble inserting a data table with legend keys into a line chart > that contains a horizontal target line. Can anyone he...

When I open a workbook, another one called Book1 is also opened. W
This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbook, then closing that one. The next time I open my workbook, Book1 has disappeared. Do you mean two different sheets within the same workbook? "Ian@MarlandLtd" wrote: > This Book1 becomes the current book. If I go to Window on the toolbar I can > switch to my correct workbook. Why is this Book1 being opened? I can cure it > by closing Book1, then saving my correct workbo...

Output the list of frequent data
Dear all, Here comes two problems. Problem 1: I have a list of strings (say, in the column A1:A100). How can I find the "mode" (i.e. the string appearing most frequently in the list? For example, if the list is APPLE APPLE BANANA APPLE CREAM CREAM BANANA CREAM APPLE DONUT then I want the result is APPLE. It seems that the MODE function does not suppot data type other than numbers. Is there any canned UDF for it? Problem 2: Following Problem 1, I want to generate a list of the 3 most frequent data in the list. If the list is the one in the example, I want to list to be...

Barcodes Code
I am trying to print a barcode in the 128 code. Though it seems the public domain/GPL ones of the truetype do not print a scanable barcode. Is there any suggestions... Or if anyone can point me into the right direction on how to do this or point me in direction of one that will work with access or excel 2000 or 2003. Much appreciated. Or help me figure out WHY it isnt producing a readable one in 128.. Hi Lester, Perhaps the problem is with the resolution on your printer. Try printing the barcode larger. Perhaps even turn off print to fit under print, page setup. --- HTH, David McRi...

Data Validation #47
kshave multiple identacle sheets in a workbook(31 sheets). I am trying to allow users to only enter whole numbers in some of these cells. I know I can do it through Data /Validation/Allow - but, I want to do it on all 31 sheets at once. When I select all sheets - Validation is greyed out. Should I be using a different method? Thanks, Tom Apply the data validation on Sheet1 Copy the cell(s) in which you applied data validation Select Sheet2 Scroll to see sheet31 Hold the Shift key, and click on Sheet31 tab Select the cell where you want to paste the data validation Choose Edit>Paste Cl...

Modifing data to show up better in chart.
My Y1 axis is from 0-250 my Y2 axis is from 0-9000 When graphing percentages the line shows up at the very bottom since 99% < 1 is there a way I can multiply these percentages by 100 to show them as 9900% = 99 Normally you would just make then a 2nd axis but as you can see I already have a second axis of 0-9000 In article <A9E6F75B-7307-4291-BC7D-729F9DF88D50@microsoft.com>, MikePunko@discussions.microsoft.com says... > My Y1 axis is from 0-250 my Y2 axis is from 0-9000 > When graphing percentages the line shows up at the very bottom since 99% < 1 > is there a way I...

Access Outlook Add-in for Data Collection & Publishing won't load
I am trying to utilize the Collect Data via e-mail function and keep receiving the following error: "The Microsoft Office Access Outlook Add-in is disabled in Microsoft Office Outlook 2007. To collect data by using e-mail messages in Microsoft Access 2007, verify that this add-in is installed and enabled from within Office Outlook 2007." I have tried to remediate via the Trust Center/Add-in area in Outlook and don't see an add-in for Access (even though the error message says it is "disabled" it is nowhere to be found). I have tried to add it (I believe it is...

Help please #8
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0016_01C6D1D3.B9AB1720 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I'm having this error message. Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeAL Event Category: Service Control=20 Event ID: 8231 Date: 9/6/2006 Time: 4:39:10 PM User: N/A Computer: MAIL Description: Permanent failure reported by policy group provider for 'CN=3DSystem = Policies,CN=3DDOMAIN,CN=3DMicrosoft = Exchange,CN=3DServices,CN=3DConfiguration,DC=3DDOMAIN,DC=3Dcom':'MAD.EXE'= ,...

Re:Help with verifying the signature of enveloped -message using x509 certificates.
Re:Help with verifying the signature of enveloped -message using x509 certificates. Hey Friends, I have an xml given by our partner trying to integrating with us and i have their certificate with public key installed in both personal and trusted people folders. when i am using the following code to check the signature of message signed by my certificate i am able to verify the signature but when i am trying to check the signature of the message of our partner using the same following code i am not able to verify the message. the message sent by our partner is right below the code.I wou...