help sorting with commas

I am trying to sort data in a column in the following manner and have n
idea how.

An example of the current data in a cell  is 1 a, 2 b, 1 c, 4 d, 7 e
every cell is different.

I would like it to sort the data so that the commonalities are goupe
together.

For example.  All the cells that contain 1 a, 2 b, 1 c, 4 d, 7 e woul
be together and
then 1 a, 2 b, 1 c, 4 d would be together.

My boss called it comma delimited, but in looking around on this sit
that doesn't seem to be it.

Any help is greatly appreciated

--
arku
arkum's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1648

Hi
is this data all in ONE single cell?

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=16488
> View this thread:

frank.kabel (11126)

Help Files not working
Whenever I go to Help (either just hitting F1 or clicking the Question Mark) I can see the index but if I click to go to an article it does nothing. I am using offline content. I have Office 2007 on a Windows 7 x64 machine ...

Excel Date Help
I am trying to write a formula that will change the date format. Here is what I am trying to do. Can anyone help? I would like the date to be in this format in cell F1, 19971219. This field needs to have 8 digits for the complete date. Cell A1 Contains the year, 1977 Cell B1 Contains the month, 12 Cell C1 Contains the day, 19 In this example we would have to append a leading zero on the month so it is 05 instead of just the 5. The same with the day it needs to have a leading 0 also. Cell A1 Contains the year, 1977 Cell B1 Contains the month, 9 Cell C1 Contains the day, 5 I would like...

Problem with Sorting Data
Hi - I have looked over this site and others, and I have not been able to find the answer to this problem. I am currently using Excel as a database. Here are the basics of my problem. The first row of cells have names and business location. Below the first business location, if the party has another office, I have put the other office in the cell immediately below the first office. For example - Cell 1A - Smith, Bob Cell 1B - Toledo Cell 2A - blank Cell 2B - Dallas When I sort alphabetically, Smith, Bob and Toledo are sorted, but Dallas ends up at the bottom of the page. Is there a wa...

HELP with formula #9
I am building a house, acting as my own general contractor. I am setting up an Excel spreadsheet to track actual cost versus estimate so I'll know when I'm running out of money. I need to set up the spreadsheet with each cost item -- grading, fill, footers, framing lumber, shingles, etc., etc. I then need to put an entry for ESTIMATE, ACTUAL, DIFFERENCE. The DIFFERENCE column should conform to these rules: -- If ESTIMATE and ACTUAL are equal, nothing should appear in the DIFFERENCE cell. -- If ESTIMATE is greater than ACTUAL (that is, if I budgeted more than it cost), then a positi...

newbie needs help
Hey my child elements look like this: <MessageElement> <User value="Tadek" /> <Message value="hello helo" /> </MessageElement><MessageElement> <User value="Tadek" /> <Message value="ryby byby " /> </MessageElement> My problem is I don't know how to write another elements ( nodes ) to file so they are between <MessageRoot> </MessageRoot>. Let's file file has 10MB it won't be efficient to read whole add to elements and then save it again. Show me how to append another <...

IIS removed and Added again.. Please Help
Hi , In MY CRM deployment we removed IIS from the server by mistake. We have added the IIS again. There was no bakcup of IIS. We lost crm web sites and applicaion pool settings. Then We copied the the application pool and Web sites from another crm deployment. then repaired the crm server. But CRM is not working. In deployment manger is showing crmserver as disabled. It is not able to enable. We changes application pool, credential from domain user to network service We are getting this error. [ earlier it was domain name] The SELECT permission was denied on the object 'Config...

Please help
Hi. 1.5*5.5 = 8.25 In Access forms and tables 1.5*5.5 = 8.20 (which is not correct) How can I fix it? Many thanks for any help... It equals 8.25 in my forms as well. What is in your control on your form? Are you multiplying a field by a field, or are you asking the user to enter one or both values into unbound controls? If using data from a table, what type of field is it? More details please. -- Hope that helps! RBear3 .. "Art Vandaley" <kestafir@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23xleUHJmHHA.4868@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > Hi. > > 1.5*5.5 = 8.25 ...

last email crashes Outlook
The very last email I received now crashes Outlook (2000). Unfortunatelly preview of email is turned on. All this means that whenever I now start outlook it activates that last email and crashes straight away before I could change any of the settings. Is there any way to delete an individual email without opening outlook (that may be a silly question) or change some setting so that the default folder isn't the Inbox (again this needs to be done without having to open Outlook)? Any other way to get rid of the culprit email? many thanks, Ollyvya ---------------------------------------...

Help downloading the 2nd page of online Publisher templates
How do I download the second page of a 2 page Publisher newsletter template from the Microsoft website? When you download a template from the Office web site all the pages download. Are you getting the template from the Office web site? Maybe your temp cache is full... In IE, tools, Internet Options, delete files. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "CraftyWiz" <CraftyWiz@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:019E41DE-C734-4C85-B2F4-4D5F915E30FC@microsoft.com... > How do I download the seco...

Messy Formuula Needs Clean up Help: Part 2 (Clarification Please)!
I posted the question below earlier for Biff, however, given that I previously said that the question was resolved (clicking thank you on the feedback request option), when it turned out I was still having difficulty, I was not certain whether or not my additional clarification request got seen. For that reason I am reposting as a new question. Please see “Messy Formula Needs Clean up Help” comments for the original postings and responses that I received (which now include the clarification I was asking Biff for). Thanks everyone! Dan -----------------------------------------...

Help Journal Names
I use the Journal all the time to help track what I'm doing For journaling items such as excel files, and word documents, it would preferable to show just the name of the document rather than the full path to the document (which appears on mouse-hover anyway). My paths tend to be long, so the only way I can find the name of the document is to mouse over. Anybody know if there is a way to just display the document name - without the path information? Thanks for any advice. -- Dab Cut off: yourhead to respond ...

help with email
i am tring to get my email address sorted out, i have just got an email address through outlook and when i try to send an email it comes back with "please vertify the email address with your account properties" dont know what this means or what to do to fix it can anyone please help with this question? You don't get email addresses from Outlook. You get them from your service provider and set up the account in Outlook according to the server settings they give you. Look up 'Add email account' in Help. "lionpeach" wrote: > i am tring to get my ema...

Help, I have some transactions that I cannot accept
I have a Christmas club that is funded automatically by my paychecks. Whenever I accept my paychecks, the money is automatically transferred from my main account. I know whenever I accept new paycheck transactions or do an online update that has paycheck transactions in it, I'll also have some transactions to verify in my Christmas Club account. For whatever reason, laziness I guess, I've not verified my downloaded CC transactions for a few months. Now when I go into that account, I have nine transactions, about four months worth that are waiting to be accepted. However these tr...

need some basic help
I have a basic daily sales sheet that has a number value in column one for the day of the month from 1 to 31, column 2 has the daily sales that I put in manually and column 3 has the total sales for the month =SUM(B2+C1). At the bottom on row 31 I calculate daily average sales with a basic =C3/C1 and I have to change on a daily basis by hand... all extremely basic stuff. But I'm looking for a way to calculate the daily average sales automatically as I put in the daily sales each day without having to edit the row 31 formula every day. I tried googling for daily average sales but th...

Can't get data into a report -- help!
Hi all, I'm using Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe. I want to print a simple report of my charitable contributions for last year. I selected Charity as the category but the report had no line items at all. Ditto even after I clicked on the Payee tab and selected every charity I made a contribution to. When I issued the checks I faithfully selected Charity as the category. My thanks in advance to anyone who can tell me what I'm doing wrong. In microsoft.public.money, whitesmith wrote: > >I'm using Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe. I want to print a simple report >of my charitabl...

random sort #2
I have a list of teams a1:a50.I want to randomly sort 25 teams into b1:b25 and randomly sort the remaining teams into c1:c25 for a knockout tournament.Any help would be appreciated. Paul, Add a helper column, and input this formula, and then copy down =INT(RAND()*50+1) Sort both columns with the latter column as the key column. -- HTH Bob Phillips ... looking out across Poole Harbour to the Purbecks (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "paul" <slates69@btinternet.com> wrote in message news:A8E4F858-E0A5-478E-8852-78F11AE6C856@microsoft.com... &g...

Please help me on an excel spreadsheet for work
So I have this spreadsheet. In COLUMN A, there is a list of cells containing numeric & tex information. For example: Column A/Row 1 = 123456 Keyboards, Black Column A/Row 2 = 1234 Mice, Black Column A/Row 3 = 12345 Monitors, Gray In COLUMN B, there is a repeated list of text all the way down th column. For example: Column B/Row 1 = Text""Text Column B/Row 2 = Text""Text Column B/Row 3 = Text""Text My goal here is to take the numeric portion from each cell in Column and place that numeric portion in between the Quotation Marks ("") i the corresp...

Sharing Calendars! HELP!!
Hi I WILL NOT BUY A PC no matter how much my work partners hate on my mac. I need to view my co-workers calendars. I also need to archive my mail regularly. All of these things are terribly difficult. My office uses Exchange 2003, and I have web mail access. I pull it into Entourage then over to my MAC Mail. I have all kinds of problems and the Microsoft help desk is a joke. I would get more help from Applebees. Any guidance would be helpful. Thanks! Beth On 12/8/09 3:15 PM, in article C744484D.1421%beth@mobilecause.com, "Beth Eisenberg" <beth@mobilecause.com&...

Help PLease! Third Post Still No Responses
I am using a form subform combo to allow users to edit certain fields in the a table. The problem is when changing from one period to the next and or back again the form assigns a new period number to an old record. This field in the subform is locked for editing by the users. I am not sure what is happening. -- Thanks, Scott Well, I'm not surprised nobody has yet answered - you haven't really given enough information about your tables/fields and your form design. People in this newsgroup are not psychic, and cannot see your database. That said, and in the absence of any d...

How to sort my mail as Gmail does?
How to sort my email in 2003 as Gmail does? (They are grouped into 'conversations' so that all follow-ups and responses appear together in my inbox.) It is not the simple sort by subject by alphabet. thanks. Click on the Arrange by header in a view and choose 'Conversation' to get the closest approximation "Enchanter" <ensoul.magazine@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1174373837.332802.281480@o5g2000hsb.googlegroups.com... > How to sort my email in 2003 as Gmail does? (They are grouped into > 'conversations' so that all follow-ups and response...

need help ASAP
hey all, I'm having a problem and dont know exactly how to do this... I have one column of data (2000 lines worth) all are numerical and all are different, this is column A in column B I have another list of numerical data, most of this data will match the data in column A, but not all. what I'm trying to do is to pull out of column A all the numbers that have a match in column B, How do I do this? thanks Ryan -- pike188 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ pike188's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&useri...

help with adding names
can i add a word before a sum from a different sheet. ie: i have a total on sheet 1, and on sheet 2 in a cell i place =then i click on the cell that i want from shhet 1. but what i want to see on sheet 2 is the word TOTAL in front of the number that comes from the sheet 1 cell. if anyone could help that would be great. thank you Format the cell on sheet2 as CUSTOM Total 0 or use this formula on sheet2 instead, ="Total " & Sheet1!A1 Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "CHAD" wrote: > can i add a word before a sum from a different sheet. &g...

Need help with find and calculate
Ok, scratching a bald spot on my head, and still nothing. I have 5 sheets on a work book. I need to find all values that =2575 in colum A. When it finds the values if they exist, sum the specified cell fro all pages. To better explain, 2575 is a billing number, the sheets ar timesheets. I want to find everyone who listed 2575 as a billin number. If it is listed, have the formula go across about 12 cells an find total hours for that billing number. I will have a summary shee at the end to list specific billing numbers, 2575, 3123,3124, and s on, with sum of all hours beside it. Can some please ...

Need help with Schema design
Hello all, I'm trying to design a schema from which I can generate a typed dataset class. I'm having problems incorporating choice and enumerations in the schema and getting the xml results that I want. In the following example I want the TopElement to contain either a Car element *or* a Truck element, but not both. So I tried to use a Choice tag to accomplish this. However, The Car element is of type CarType which is a simpleType that contains an enumeration. I used the enumeration so I could control the valid values in the element. When I generate a typed dataset using ...

help: transfer email accounts from unbootable windows system..
hello and thanks for reading this. my windows os has died and now have a new shiny windows os. i have entire backup of my old os file system. i reinstalled msoffice including outlook. i was able to use my 'old' .pst file. i have about 10 email accounts and i cannot figure out to transfer those account settings into my new outlook program... i have googled, used mskb and slipstick... please, anybody have any ideas. i was also hoping to salvage my old rule wizards but that is __much__ less improtant.. thanks so much... dave asdffdsa wrote: > hello and thanks for reading this. ...