Help - Loosing my settings and my mind.

I keep loosing my settings in Excel. Periodically, my toolbars reset back to
defaults and my custom toolbars are gone. Also, my custom colors I set in
Tools|Options often resort back to defaults.

What could be causing this and what can I do to prevent it?

What's the easiest and cleanest way to back up these settings and then
reapply them when needed?

What file keeps the color settings?

Thanks.

0
noone1 (387)

I have had this happen to me.  In my case it was caused by opening up files
with the defferent settings for all of the options.  I got around it by
setting one master file with all of the settings I prefered, and being
completely out of EXCEL and opening that file to reinitiate all of my
preffered setting

"OhMizerWord" wrote:

> I keep loosing my settings in Excel. Periodically, my toolbars reset back to
> defaults and my custom toolbars are gone. Also, my custom colors I set in
> Tools|Options often resort back to defaults.
>
> What could be causing this and what can I do to prevent it?
>
> What's the easiest and cleanest way to back up these settings and then
> reapply them when needed?
>
> What file keeps the color settings?
>
> Thanks.

0
BJ (832)
3/28/2005 8:07:03 PM
I don't have a good guess why your toolbars are being reset, but I know that I
fiddle around enough with mine that I always keep a backup copy of the file that
holds those customized changes.

The file is named *.xlb (name and location vary with versions of windows and
excel).

Mine (xl2003/winXP) is in:
C:\Documents and Settings\David Peterson\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
(it's named EXCEL11.xlb)

When I make changes that I know I want to keep, I close excel and backup that
*.xlb to a nice safe spot.

When I screw it up (or if it disappears for you), just close excel and copy my
backup to the correct location.

Until you find the reason why you're losing your customizations, you may want to
try the same thing--even after you find the reason, too!

===
Custom colors are kept with the workbook.  So you can have lots of different
custom colors.

One way to make new workbooks have your custom colors is to create a workbook
template (named book.xlt) and store it in your XLStart folder.  (Use windows
start button|search to find that location.)

Each time you click that New Icon, your new workbook will inherit all the
settings (including custom colors) from that book.xlt template workbook.

You may want to add more stuff--headers/footers/page layout???

--

Dave Peterson
0

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
>I don't have a good guess why your toolbars are being reset, but I know
>that I
> fiddle around enough with mine that I always keep a backup copy of the
> file that
> holds those customized changes.
>
> The file is named *.xlb (name and location vary with versions of windows
> and
> excel).
>
> Mine (xl2003/winXP) is in:
> C:\Documents and Settings\David Peterson\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
> (it's named EXCEL11.xlb)
>
> When I make changes that I know I want to keep, I close excel and backup
> that
> *.xlb to a nice safe spot.
>
> When I screw it up (or if it disappears for you), just close excel and
> copy my
> backup to the correct location.
>
> Until you find the reason why you're losing your customizations, you may
> want to
> try the same thing--even after you find the reason, too!
>
> ===
> Custom colors are kept with the workbook.  So you can have lots of
> different
> custom colors.
>
> One way to make new workbooks have your custom colors is to create a
> workbook
> template (named book.xlt) and store it in your XLStart folder.  (Use
> windows
> start button|search to find that location.)
>
> Each time you click that New Icon, your new workbook will inherit all the
> settings (including custom colors) from that book.xlt template workbook.
>
> You may want to add more stuff--headers/footers/page layout???
>

> OhMizerWord wrote:
>>
>> I keep loosing my settings in Excel. Periodically, my toolbars reset back
>> defaults and my custom toolbars are gone. Also, my custom colors I set in
>> Tools|Options often resort back to defaults.
>>
>> What could be causing this and what can I do to prevent it?
>>
>> What's the easiest and cleanest way to back up these settings and then
>> reapply them when needed?
>>
>> What file keeps the color settings?
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
noone1 (387)
3/29/2005 2:58:40 PM
Thanks, BJ.

"bj" <bj@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have had this happen to me.  In my case it was caused by opening up files
> with the defferent settings for all of the options.  I got around it by
> setting one master file with all of the settings I prefered, and being
> completely out of EXCEL and opening that file to reinitiate all of my
> preffered setting
>
> "OhMizerWord" wrote:
>
>> I keep loosing my settings in Excel. Periodically, my toolbars reset back
>> defaults and my custom toolbars are gone. Also, my custom colors I set in
>> Tools|Options often resort back to defaults.
>>
>> What could be causing this and what can I do to prevent it?
>>
>> What's the easiest and cleanest way to back up these settings and then
>> reapply them when needed?
>>
>> What file keeps the color settings?
>>
>> Thanks.

0
noone1 (387)

HELP WITH FORMULA #15
I have 3 columns. C -I=J These columns are continuous and I keep adding amounts to cells in column C and deducting amounts from I column and need to end up with a total in column J. Could someone please help me with a formula that will continually give me a total to column J as I enter information into column C and deducting from column I. -- Thank you in advance for your assistance HankL =SUM(J1:J100) Adjust range of cells to your need....... Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "Hank Laskin" wrote: > I have 3 columns. > C -I=J > These columns are continuous and I ...

How zoom/increase font size of Office 2004 "Help" text?
Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components´┐Ż documents. How does one do this with the small-font text in Help? Respectfully, Norm On 9/14/04 1:36 AM, in article BD6BFBA9.49F3%nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu, "Norman R. Nager, Ph.D." <nnager@vnoxsxpxaxmv.fullerton.edu> wrote: > Font sizes can be set for Word, Excel and Entourage. You also can zoom in > to enlarge the View of text in Office 2004 components´┐Ż documents. > > How does one do this with the small-font text in Help...

Excel Linear Regression by set slope (not intercept)
Hi Guys is there a way in excel to get the linear regression function to specify a function based on a set intercept (say =1), instead of a set intercept. I believe this ability should have been included in excel from day 1. Answered under you post to microsoft.public.excel.misc. Please do not separately post the same question to multiple newsgroups. Jerry "Ben" wrote: > Hi Guys > is there a way in excel to get the linear regression function to > specify a function based on a set intercept (say =1), instead of a set > intercept. > > I believe this ability s...

Lookup/Find help
Windows XP Professional Office 2000 Hypothetical, but hopefully you'll get the gist of it: I have two worksheets. On worksheet #1, I have two columns. First column is a list of entire workgroup by name and 2nd column is the hours worked. On the second worksheet I simply have an list of names that is a subgroup of those on the first page. These indicate a target group. EXAMPLE Worksheet #1 Sam 35 Joe 37 Mary 20 Beth 41 Ted 38 Worksheet #2 Joe Beth Now, on the first worksheet, I want to add a third column for summing only the target workgroup. Basically, I need a function...

Help Please- How to offset Date to correct column for Ageing
Hi All, I have a stock ageing sheet for finished goods, which uses a vlookup table, on entry of the Product code (last 3 Digits), this populates the next three columns with description, FG cost and Quantity of product. the quantity of product is entered again manually into the appropriate column, there are five columns these are banded <3 Months 0%, 3 to 6 Months 25%, 6 to 9 months 50%, 9 to 12 Months 75% and > 1 Year 100%, the percentage is liability provision. What I would like to do is on entry of the product code as above the quantity is automatically inserted into the correc...

In role Form\insertAction\sendEmail\description(please help)
hi add date field to this section ,but when I recieve this Email I cant see datefield ...

Help with auto height of rows
Hello, I've got Excel 2002. Spreadsheet has over 3400 rows and 6 columns. No merged cells. All fonts are Arial size 10. The first 1809 rows are set to a height of '15.00 (20 pixels)' and the remaining rows are set to '12.75 (17 pixels)'. I've tried selecting all rows and then double clicking on a divider bar to get them all to adjust to auto height, but they stay at the heights listed. I want them all to be at the 12.75 (17 pixels) height when you do the auto height adjustment. Why won't this work on this spreadsheet? Thanks. Mark Nevermind - I fig...

Macro HELP!
I am trying to build a macro that will check for the day of the week in cell A1. "Mon", "Tue etc.., if true, it will copy the contents of another cell and paste to another cell. Hope this is discriptive enough. Help the newbie ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements Cycle, I think you should ask a more specific question. Maybe this is a first step...

DCount?? not working. Pls help
My data is orgnaised as follows: A B C D E David 2245 abcd efgh ijk Susan 2249 xyz etc etc Mickey 1234 etc 123 etc Arnold 4321 etc.... David 1441 Mickey abcd etc etc I want to count the number of non blank cells in B for each "David", "Susan" etc in A, and have the value returned in another sheet. I tried DCount, but it doesnt seem to be working. -- KDDXB I mocked up your data as you provided it, with names in A1:A6 etc. I entered "David" in A8 and this formul...

Criteria help
The following sql query returns a good result except some of the enteries do have a business address and I will be using the query to produce labels. What I would like to do is if the BusinessAddress1, BusinessCity, BusinessState and BusinessPostalCode are blank then use the Home Address, HomeCity, HomeState and HomePostalCode. So will I be able to do this using the criteria or do I have to write a sql query. Either way would someone give some help to acheive a good result? Thanks, Richard SELECT [Main Directory].[Sr Pastor], [Main Directory].NoPastorChurch, [Main Directory].[Colle...

Please help with Conditional Formatting
Hi all, I am trying to get a cell to change color when: D5 contains "/" in the form of for example: CM/F/CM or C/C I tried different variations of: Formula Is------------------$D$5= "*/*" but it does not work, any ideas? Thanks for nay help, Emilio Hi! Try this: Formula Is: =ISNUMBER(SEARCH("/",A1)) Biff >-----Original Message----- >Hi all, > >I am trying to get a cell to change color when: > D5 contains "/" in the form of for example: > >CM/F/CM or C/C > >I tried different variations of: > >Formula Is...

HELP! Viewing/opening messages crashes Outlook 2007
I have Outlook 2007 running on a new Dell Dimension 9200 PC with Windows Vista Ultimate. It was all working fine for past two weeks when I closed down my PC last night, and I had not installed any new software or updates since. I now find I can forward or reply to messages OK, but if I try to just read them them in the reading pane, Outlook immediately says it has stopped working and restarts. It then opens without the reading pane enabled, but if I double-click a message to read it (without the reading pane enabled), it again crashes and restarts. I have spent all morning on the phone...

Newbie
I have installed Exchange 2003 (new install) on a new install of Windows Server 2003. When I went to add info for the SMTP server (using Exchange Management System - EMS) I navigated to Servers - Exchange1 - Protocols - SMTP There's no default SMTP server listed in there. How can I get one in there? -Fran- Did you have IIS installed already? <Fran> wrote in message news:vmrpu1h04d06lpot07kbqu78lnsflpqcaa@4ax.com... >I have installed Exchange 2003 (new install) on a new install of > Windows Server 2003. > > When I went to add info for the SMTP server (using Exch...

Logo will print in black & white but not colour
I really need some help with this urgently! check your options either in the software you are using or the printer setup to see if color is selected vrs black only. "Amanda K" <Amanda K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:543569FB-DC77-426F-8BEE-124A9C4D7539@microsoft.com... >I really need some help with this urgently! ...

Can I set up a calendar lookup for date selection
Is it possible to lookup a calendar for date selection on a cell. I cannot find any reference to it in the help. try this url http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut07.htm ================= "Tangoxray" <Tangoxray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72D4DB63-1D7F-477A-93C7-2F767A207B26@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to lookup a calendar for date selection on a cell. I cannot > find any reference to it in the help. ...

How do I set a Word doc to always print manual feed?
In Word 2003, you'd go to page setup, paper source. I can't find anything comparable in 2007. I print a lot of labels & letterhead & need this. The dialog is the same - click the arrow bottom right of the Page Setup Group on the Page Layout tab. -- <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>><<> Graham Mayor - Word MVP My web site www.gmayor.com Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org <>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>&...

Help...Need to modify data within a column in a .csv file
I have been given a .csv file of several thousand rows, and I need to change column A of each. The brief cutout below shows column A of the first two rows. (I need to skip the first row, which is the headers.) Kinda clumsy to have such a wide column, but the application this file is to be fed after I change the contents requires all the data separated by double-quotes to be in the one column. Cell A2: 09/12/0509/25/05"1417385"121"307"111-11-1111"09/30/05"LASTNAME1 Cell A3: 09/12/0509/25/05"1417386"101"900000005"222-22-2222"09/30/05"...

security setting for PO comments
Using GP 9.0 i am trying to allow my purchasing people to add comments to the PO. Apparently they do not have security access to the comment area and I can not figure out specifically where in advanced security this clearance is granted. Typically, they should be able to select from pre-written comments on the PO form. To create new comments, they need access to the Create New Comment window. Sorry, I dont have a copy of 9 on my laptop to give you the exact window location in AS but this might get you headed in the right direction. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 200...

Reporting Sevices help!!!
Hi Guys, I need to know if there is a way to change the Reporting Services Reports in CRM to swith the est. Revenue field used to a seperate field. I'm doing a multi currency customisation all my user will be using different currency price lists e.g. euro price list, yen price list etc. I'm then doing a calculation to take each account opportunities etc est. revenue and put it in usd which is the reporting currency. the usd est revenue is stored in a seperate field calle new_estrevenueusd and i want this field to be used for all reports instead of the original est. revenue fiel...

vlookup help linking data between worksheet
hi, I have a master list of students (about 200+ )in one worksheet. On the succeeding worksheets are the attendance for seminars. We have more than 20 seminars in a year. Because of the large no of attendees per seminar, I usually type out a list of the students who came for each seminar, so there will be 20 +attendance worksheets. Not all students will come every time and there are new ones for each session. To update on master list, I will sort each sheet by surname, print it out and type in separate column (date) for each session and typed "P" for present and &quo...

Help:Trouble with budget and deposit every other week
There seems to be a problem when I try to put into the bidget that I am getting paid every other week. The amount for the first one shows up, but the other one does not. This causes the budget to always be off and there seems to be no way to correct it. Do you have any suggestions, I could sure use it. Thanks ...

Unbound Text Box Help
I have an unbound text box called TYPE, that I want to display the name of a transaction type. See below code. I have added this to the BeforeUpdate and the AfterUpdate and the TYPE remains blank. This is DSform and the infromation is for display purposes only. Does anyone have any suggestions on why this is not working and what I can do to correct my ways. Matt Private Sub TYPE_BeforeUpdate() If Me.TRANS_TYP = "S" Then Me.TYPE = "SALES FORECAST" End If If Me.TRANS_TYP = "I" Then Me.TYPE = "INVOICE" End If ...

Help with copying formula
Hi I run Excel 2K I have typed the following formulas in three consecutive cells. =SUM('DRO BY SHIFT'!Z10:Z12)+BP10 =SUM('DRO BY SHIFT'!Z13:Z15)+BP11 =SUM('DRO BY SHIFT'!Z16:Z18)+BP12 You will note that the Z colum ranges take in 3 cells each time. The problem is that when I drag or copy these formulas down the column I dont get the reltive ranges that I need. That is the next one down should read =SUM('DRO BY SHIFT'!Z19:Z21)+BP13 However I get =SUM('DRO BY SHIFT'!Z17:Z19)+BP13 How can I write the formula so that when I drag it down it maintai...

Help with a report to see all payments
Hi, I want to create a report that lists all payments from an account All I want it to show is Num, Date, Payee, Payment Amount But I want it to show all payments not just checks. I don't even need a grand total or anything for each month or the whole date range (previous year) I just want to see every payment. And I want to compare it to my hand written ledger. Using 2007 Deluxe. I tried customizing an income and spending report but it only showed me a monthly total and not a transaction list. In microsoft.public.money, Robbie wrote: >Hi, >I want to create a report that ...

All outbound e-mails keep getting assigned to a campaign
I created a quick campaign and performed a successful mail-merge, then sent the e-mail. A response came back and I promoted it to a campaign response. Now when I send a normal email to a different user, CRM automatically assigns that email to the campaign history! It's not targeted to a user that was in the campaign. Even my personal email is getting loaded into that campaign in CRM, in fact all my outbound email is funneling into that campaign. Is this a bug? Can someone who has encountered this issue please help? Thanks, Ken Davis You are not alone! This happened to a user of...