Help! Import text file cannot be found

My Excel 2002 spreadsheet must import about 20 text files located in th
same folder as the spreadsheet file and then does a bunch o
calculations, etc., to generate a report.

When I initially set it up, it works great. BUT when I take the folde
containing the spreadsheet and the 20 text files to another computer,
get the message "Excel cannot find the text file..." and I have to red
all of the import text files again, and then it works fne again.

I need to send this excel file to numerous students and colleagues, an
it is a pain in the behind for everyone to have to fix the error.

Why can't excel find these text files inside the folder when I copy th
folder to another computer? It seems to me that an excel file should b
able to find a text file that is sitting in the same floder as it is.

I hope this is a simple fix. I've been reading help files and interne
tips, and can't find the solution. I really appreciate any help anyon
can give, either the fix or at least the reason why?

...Ro

Are you using a macro that imports the text files?

Any chance that the network share is mapped to a different letter?

If you are using a mapped drive, maybe you could replace it with the UNC (use
\\Sharename\foldername instead of x:\foldername)?

If this isn't close, you may want to post back with more details--and if you are
using a macro a little snippet of the code.

"Roy <" wrote:

> My Excel 2002 spreadsheet must import about 20 text files located in the
> same folder as the spreadsheet file and then does a bunch of
> calculations, etc., to generate a report.
>
> When I initially set it up, it works great. BUT when I take the folder
> containing the spreadsheet and the 20 text files to another computer, I
> get the message "Excel cannot find the text file..." and I have to redo
> all of the import text files again, and then it works fne again.
>
> I need to send this excel file to numerous students and colleagues, and
> it is a pain in the behind for everyone to have to fix the error.
>
> Why can't excel find these text files inside the folder when I copy the
> folder to another computer? It seems to me that an excel file should be
> able to find a text file that is sitting in the same floder as it is.
>
> I hope this is a simple fix. I've been reading help files and internet
> tips, and can't find the solution. I really appreciate any help anyone
> can give, either the fix or at least the reason why?
>
> ..Roy
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Maximum file sizes

Looking for Excel Help

New to excel

find action on log file

File size #11

Linking files 2 ways

Need Help, Task Start Date is wrong

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

RMS V2 and QSC Import
I have successfully imported several of my customers products using the QSC Import tool as a test but am unable to import the items with any association with sales tax? The default Sales Tax is TAX which is what I plan on using but once imported it creates a new item code TAX so now I have two? I plan on importing several hundred products and any help would be much appreciated. -Jess Reference- https://mbs.microsoft.com/partnersource/products/rms/downloads/releases/rms_so_importutility.htm i use the same tool but i dont tell the import utility anything about tax. import the items witho...

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Please help #8

How to import images from Publisher into Picture Manager?
I have images in Publisher that I need to import in to Microsoft office picture manager. How do I do this? Find the source of those images and save them. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Heatherwithaheadache" <Heatherwithaheadache@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B1B1DFC9-0639-49BA-8614-A5AC0DDB596D@microsoft.com... >I have images in Publisher that I need to import in to Microsoft office > picture manager. How do I do this? Right-click the picture, save as picture, or copy/paste to a folder. The Picture Manager will search for al...

Help with importing data

Trouble in Save existing file
Hi there, I am using GetSaveFileName(), OnSaveDocument() to save configuration file of my application. Trouble is when I open existing file, edit, and try to save it as the same name, it compains like "Access to file was denied" and I can't save it. But it can be saved as a new name by SaveAs menu. One other thing is this trouble is happening only in Window2000 PCs. It just works well in Window 98. The application is developed in Windows 2000 and I am using Flags like OFN_PATHMUSTEXIST | OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST; Please help. Bob NZ >Hi there, I am using GetSaveFileName(), OnSaveD...

Any way to open an excel file directly to a worksheet?
I am building an application with an icon that launches an excel file when clicked. Is there any way I can open the file directly to a specified worksheet? The names of the worksheet are fixed and so is the file, so I am guessing adding some parameter after the filename should do the trick. Any help will be appreciated. Regards Sid -- skiddyrow ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skiddyrow's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386335 Hey...

Search media files
I have WMP 11 on Windows XP SP3. I have recently move all my music on an external hard disk. Now that I want to search the media files so that it changes the file path and I can listen to my music, it seems that there is no search media files in my Tools menu. What am I doing wrong? On Sun, 14 Mar 2010 14:22:01 -0700, newsy <newsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have WMP 11 on Windows XP SP3. I have recently move all my music on an >external hard disk. Now that I want to search the media files so that it >changes the file path and I can listen to my music, i...

Please Help with Multiple Field Primary Keys
I have two tables in a database that have to use four fields for a unique identifier and primary key. How do I set up a query to set a relationship between those four fields together as one? When I add the tables to the query I see the fields, but I am not having any success properly setting the relationships. The upper half of the query design window is where the 2 tables appear. Drag Field1 from Table1, and drop it into Field1 from Table2. Access displays a join line from one table to the other. Drag Field2 from Table1, and drop it into Field2 from Table2. Repeat for the other 3 f...