Have MSExcel spreadsheet with 1420 rows - want column with row num

Hi,

I have a MSExcel spradsheet with some 1420 rows.  I want to number each of
the rows and have those numbers within the first column.  Certainly I do not
want to do this by hand but want some function to do this.  How can I do this?

Thanks,
Brian
0
Vilkas1 (1)

Hi Brian,
You could try putting in Row(), which would change if you insert or delete
rows, or you could simply use the Edit Fill function, or you could put 1 in
A1, in A2 put =A1+1 and copy down.

"Brian (Vilkas1@hotmail.com)" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a MSExcel spradsheet with some 1420 rows.  I want to number each of
> the rows and have those numbers within the first column.  Certainly I do not
> want to do this by hand but want some function to do this.  How can I do this?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian
0
mzehr1 (59)
10/26/2004 5:23:03 PM
Hi
- in A1 enter 1 and in A2 enter 2
- select both cells and copy them down

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Brian (Vilkas1@hotmail.com)" <Brian
(Vilkas1@hotmail.com)@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hi,
>
> I have a MSExcel spradsheet with some 1420 rows.  I want to number
each of
> the rows and have those numbers within the first column.  Certainly I
do not
> want to do this by hand but want some function to do this.  How can I
do this?

> Thanks,
> Brian

0
frank.kabel (11126)
10/26/2004 5:26:41 PM
Hi, Frank:

Not just a simple copy, though. I did just what you said, and I got 1, 2, 1,
2, 1, 2, .....?

Did you mean to use the fill handle?

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:26:41 +0200, "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de>
wrote:

>Hi
>- in A1 enter 1 and in A2 enter 2
>- select both cells and copy them down

0
anonymous (74722)
10/26/2004 6:01:59 PM
In addition to the suggestions re using formulas, you could put the starting
number in A1, then use Edit/Fill/Series to fill the rest of the numbers. Check
it out in Help.

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 10:13:10 -0700, Brian (Vilkas1@hotmail.com) <Brian
(Vilkas1@hotmail.com)@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I have a MSExcel spradsheet with some 1420 rows.  I want to number each of
>the rows and have those numbers within the first column.  Certainly I do not
>want to do this by hand but want some function to do this.  How can I do
this?

>Thanks,
>Brian

0
anonymous (74722)
10/26/2004 6:02:31 PM
Hi Myrna
:-)
yes I meant the fill handle :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"Myrna Larson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:164tn0hj58cdkvm6raa1ba0j6fqae1nm94@4ax.com...
> Hi, Frank:
>
> Not just a simple copy, though. I did just what you said, and I got
1, 2, 1,
> 2, 1, 2, .....?
>
> Did you mean to use the fill handle?
>
> On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 19:26:41 +0200, "Frank Kabel"
<frank.kabel@freenet.de>
> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >- in A1 enter 1 and in A2 enter 2
> >- select both cells and copy them down

0
frank.kabel (11126)

Dynamicly Hiding Rows or Columns
Does anyone know how to hide a row or column based on what its content is? E.G. If I have a sheet with multiple client's information on it; how do I hide the rows that do not deal with the client I'm interested in at the moment. I need to have them all in the single sheet. This is a lot of information, so the brute force method is undesirable. If you have some sort of client identifier in (a name or number) in each row, you can use AutoFilter. That will hide only rows, however. This may be the long way to solve this, but if your clients stay in thi file, then the work could...

Expand/Contract grouped columns in protected sheet
I�m trying to protect a sheet that has a pivottable with grouped columns. The problem is , after protecting the sheet , I can�t expand/contract the table. I get an error saying that I can�t use that command because it�s a protected sheet. Is there anyway around this? I.E. How can I protect a sheet, and still expand/contract a pivottable? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ...

series of sums in a long spreadsheet
I am trying to create a series of sums for a rather long spreadsheet with mulitple variables. I have several rows on my spread sheet, each categorized in genres such as "apple", "orange", and "pear." There is also a numerical value in a separate column for each of my rows that I want to associate with the categories I mentioned. I want to be able to get the total sum of each category. It is a very long spreadsheet, and it is not sorted by these categories because there are other variables involved. Because the spreadsheet is so long, I don't...

Input from Form
Good Day All, Here is my situation. I have a form with a drop-down box. The drop down box's control source is a query that displays all of the date's that a client participated in a event. Currently I cannot input new information into this drop-down. Is it possible to input data via that drop-down or can I not because it is based on a query not a table. Thanks for any assistance - Rich Probably, you can't add data to the combo box (dropdown) because the LimitToList property is set to "Yes". However, it may not be a good idea to set it to "No". A lo...

If Statement: want user to be able to enter text in cell if FALSE
Hi I have the following formula in cell F16 =IF($M$1 =3, "149028","") However, what I would really like is for the user to be able to input a value in F16 is M1 does NOT equal 3. Is there a way to do this. The current formula leaves F16 blank if M1 does not equal 3, but when the user types another value, the formula is erased. what am i missing? Many thanks Could you use another cell for the user input? =IF($M$1 =3, "149028",$M$2) And in M2 you might insert a "Comment", or a data validation "input Message", giving directions on what ...

Total a column (or row0 by highlighting cells
Isn't there a way to total a column of numbers without using the AutoSum function. I seem to remember that I could just highlight a series of cells and the total would be shown in the fx box. I can count the number of rows by just highlighting them. Can't I do the same thing to total by simply highlighting a group of cells? Thanks Right click on the box in lower right of XL (not sure what its exact name is, its in the status bar to the left of where "EXT" appears when you strike the F8 key...) Change this to display the operation your prefer. -- Best Re...

How do I enter text above rows repeated at top?
I have a worksheet that I have rows repeating at top of each page; however, I need to add separate text (a Title) above each page of repeating rows. Can anyone help with this one??? I'm in a real bind for time... Thanks! Barb. Hi, If you go to File -> Page Setup -> Header/Footer -> Custom Header, yo can put header information which will go on all pages (not sheets). I you want all sheets, it may be easier to do a quick macro ... Code ------------------- Sub SetAllHeaders() Dim ws As Worksheet For Each ws In ThisWorkbook.Worksheets ws.PageSetup.CenterHeader = ...

excel spreadsheet #12
I am used to my own computer. Working on someone elses today. all the columns are numbered as are the rows. can i set it up to have the columns as letters and rows as numbers Pull-down Tools > Options > General and clear the R1C1 checkbox -- Gary''s Student "montana hogs" wrote: > I am used to my own computer. Working on someone elses today. all the columns > are numbered as are the rows. can i set it up to have the columns as letters > and rows as numbers ...

Code to save info to another column?
I've got a sheet, in which column "D" is just numbers, fed real-time by mulitple other sheets in the same workbook. Is there a way so that at say 5am every day, it saves what is in column D to column E. Then the next day, it saves it to F, then G, and so on? What it is, is an inventory checkout sheet for our bar at work. Each page is a different type of booze (whiskey, rum, vodka, etc) and they have a touchscreen on the register comp. So I built a bunch of sheets with buttons to keep track of all the bottles they get out of the storage room. I plan on leaving this sheet ...

Add font capability to Report Columns in Active Reports
I have had customers request the ability to be able to change the fonts and font sizes within the columns of active reports. Currently this capability does not exist. The font can be changed in the title lines but not in report columns. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in...

show day in column B for Date in column A
I want the Excel to show the day of the week in column B for whatever date is entered in column A. Please advise. -- NYBoy ------------------------------------------------------------------------ NYBoy's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=8360 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=530201 Here are 2 options: For a date in A1 B1: =TEXT(A1,"DDD") OR B1: =A1 Custom Format B1 to only show the day <Format><Cells><Number tab> Category: Custom Type: DDD Note: DDD shows the 3 letter day (Mon...

column with emails
hello,please tell me how to convert one column with email adreses to one continuous sequence which I could put into outlook to send my message to all people who adresses I have (its not any spam!) Regards S dont use difficult to understand technical words if you can, I'm not well in english ;) Say your names are in A1:A25 Insert a new column B in A2, type this formula: =a1&";"&a2 Then in B3, type this formula: =B2&";"&A3 Drag it down through B25 Check your email program to see what separator you use. (I used a semicolon.) Then copy B25 and pas...

Out of Office set-up with an exchage server help wanted
Hi I am trying to configure the Out of Office Assistant in Outlook 2000 & 2002. i don't use an exchnage server. Does anyone have any links to sites with step-by-step details on setting this up and creating an oft template? Sean Did you start this quest by reading http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;248830? -- Neo [MVP Outlook] Due to the Swen virus, all e-mails sent to this account will be deleted w/out reading. "Sean" <fake@fake.com.au> wrote in message news:hmcb10h0ia7adv4f5v2u07aaaqa3o0gjbq@4ax.com... > > Hi > > I am trying to...

Macro from cell specific to whole column
Hello All, I have recorded the following macro... ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=RIGHT(RC[-3],1)" Range("O286").Select ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = "=IF(RC[-1]=""-"",(LEFT(RC[-4],15)*-1),RC[-4])" that basically takes a text stored number such as 100.54- to -100.54. What I want to do is make this auto fill for the entire column. How should rewrite it? -- Thanks for all of the help. It is much appreciated!!!! On May 26, 5:06=A0am, Bean Counter <BeanCoun...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello All, > ...

How do I chage/eliminate the names of the columns and rows
How do I chage/eliminate the names of the columns and rows If I understand you correctly: To remove headers: Tools |Options; open View tab; look in lower Window section and uncheck "Row & Column Headers" The column headers can be changed to numbers (but then you must type formulas differently) with Tools |Options; open General tab and check the box "RC reference style" You cannot give headers custom names -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "Diader" <Diader@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7A...

Excel 2007 SP2 changed look of spreadsheets pasted into AutoCAD
Hi, Prior to Office 2007 SP2, when I copied an area of a spreadsheet, and within AutoCAD, did a Paste Special > Picture (Enhanced Metafile), I would end up with a black & white image of the spreadsheet. Now with SP2, I end up with a coloured grid image, coloured text and it includes the green 'error' triangles. Is there a way to get the previous paste results, short of uninstalling SP2? BTW, I'm aware I can turn off the background error checking issue. Thanks in advance. Bob ...

Find Next Row With No Value In It
I've got this nextrow = Cells.Find(what:="*", searchdirection:=xlPrevious, searchorder:=xlByRows).Row + 1 Cells(nextrow, 1).Select which will find nextrow with nothing in it and select cell in Col A, but now I've got formulas in the cells, so instead of finding the next row with nothing in it, I want to find the next row with no value - even if it's got a formula in it. Can I do this by amending what's in the what:="*" part of this code? It's always better to include all the parms for .find(). If you don't, then you're at ...

formatting columns #3
This is the first time I've posted to this group. I have some how managed to get by using Excel while never having any training with it. With that said here's my question/problem. I also use Access and I'm exporting a query from Access to Excel. The query has many dimensional entries. An example would be; Part # 1 Hole Size 1 Hole Size 2 Hole Size 3 2.000 2.001 2.004 Part # 2 Hole Size 1 Hole Size 2 Hole Size 3 2.001 1.999 2.002 Part # 3 Hole Size 1 Hole Size 2 Hole Size 3 2.002 2.001 2.003 ...

Charting based on a specific month in a column
Hi all, I would like to plot a bar chart that plots the bar based on the sum of a column for a particular month. For example: A1 Date A2 1/5/09 A3 2/5/09 A4 1/6/09 B1 Qty B2 10 B3 10 B4 5 I would like to plot a bar chart that on the bottom axis has the months i.e. May, June and then sums up column B and plots the sum of the figures against the months i.e. May - Qty 20, June - Qty 5 etc. I appreciate any assistance you can give me. In D1 enter text "date" in E1 enter text "Qty" In D2 enter date for Jan 1 (1/1/2009) and in D3 date for 1 Feb 2009 (looks like you woul...

exporting spreadsheet from excel
For whatever reason, when I save in a delimited text file, the other programs can not open the file. This problem exists when trying to save from excel to outlook format. Outlook can't open the file. Is ther a fix or is the program (excel) faulty? Try opening the text file in Notepad. If that works, then maybe it's the other program (Outlook) that's having trouble. I don't know enough about Outlook, so when I do this for contacts, I'll go into Outlook and save my contacts to a .csv file. Then I open it up and look at it and try to make my output from Excel match ...

Autofilter blue indicator arrow showing on wrong column
Hi, I have an Excel 2002 SP3 spreadsheet containing a status report with 25 columns and less than 100 rows. The status report table has an autofilter applied to it. Normally when you apply a filter using the autofilter drop down for any column, the indicator arrow for the column that is filtered turns blue. However, in my spreadsheet it doesn't - the autofilter arrow two columns to the left turns blue, which is really confusing if you then want to show all rows again! This happens periodically and the only way to reset it is to remove and re-apply the autofilter to...

insert into
I have two tables - EMAIL and PUBLISH. I use the access import feature to import all emails into the table EMAIL. I then created a query to move "new" records from EMAIL into PUBLISH so that I can modify the contents and flag the emails with categories, etc. My query is missing records but I can't figure out why. I have three tables involved in this query: ADDRESS - contains the person's email address and a people ID EMAIL - contains the original email fields including email address and contents of email, each email is assigned a unique ID PUBLISH - want to c...

We want to make it so internal read reciepts cannot be refused
We are running Outlook 2003 with an Exchange server. We want to set it up so that if a message is sent with the a read reciept request that the reader can't say no. This would be for internal network users only. Is this possible? Our old system, Groupwise, showed you who had read your e-mail, who had deleted it (with or without reading). This is very helpful when you need to prove that someone did read a message that you sent them. Any help would be appreciated. Third Party software suggestions are welcome. Thanks! On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:24:02 -1000, ConnieN <ConnieN@discuss...

Hiding Rows of Filtered Data
Using xl2007 here.. I have set an Autofilter on my data A3:J350 (Row 3 is Header) Rows 4 thru 243 are hidden AND Must REMAIN Hidden, but when I select a single choice front he AF drow-down (turn off Select all, and choose only one) the single choice is filtered BUT the Rows 4-243 are Now Visible. How can I over come this programatically? ...

Exel Spreadsheets
Hi I have multiple exel spreadsheets containing data on staff and their competency with in specific areas of their work which requires me to update their skills on a 6monthly basis. Is there a way to programme exel to automaticly display those staff requiring reassessment in a particular month rather than me trawling through the spread sheets individually Thanks for your hel Denise Denise, Use conditional formatting. Assuming the dates are in A1:An, select all of those cells. Goto Format>Conditional Formatting Change Condition1 to Formula Is Add this formula =A1<=DATE(YEAR(TODAY()),M...