hairpulling-trouble with pasting a chart into word

Hi there, I do hope someone can help me - I'm going nuts.
When I do this job at work, there is no problem at all, so am confuse
why my laptop at home won't play ball. I have made sure (at least
think I have) that all the settings are the same.
I have a word document open and an excel sheet with the chart I want t
copy into word, I uncheck the 'size with window' box (from tools>option
- chart tab), yet, the second I paste into word it - sizes with th
window, into a squished chart.  What am I doing wrong?
any help would be appreciated,
Flos

--
flos
floss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2567

Once pasted into word have you tried re-sizing, click on it and drag t
the size you want suing the corner handle

--
Paul Sheppar
Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2478

Hi Bonnie.  Once you paste the chart into Word you should also right click
the chart, go to format picture - layout and select any layout except "in
line with text".  The resize handles will turn white and the chart will be
much easier to move and locate on the page.  HTH
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"floss" wrote:

> Hi there, I do hope someone can help me - I'm going nuts.
> When I do this job at work, there is no problem at all, so am confused
> why my laptop at home won't play ball. I have made sure (at least I
> think I have) that all the settings are the same.
> I have a word document open and an excel sheet with the chart I want to
> copy into word, I uncheck the 'size with window' box (from tools>options
> - chart tab), yet, the second I paste into word it - sizes with the
> window, into a squished chart.  What am I doing wrong?
> any help would be appreciated,
> Floss
>

> --
> floss
> floss's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25675
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=390930

0
Michael5492 (655)

Embedded word doc changed to image-need to change back to word.
I have an embedded word document that misteriously changed into an image. This image is not a word doc converted into a picture (i.e. like I convert an embedded word doc by right clicking and selecting 'image object', 'covert', and then select to activate as a word doc.) but an actual image as if I inserted a picture. Need to turn the image back into a word doc so I can recover my work. It would also be nice to figure out how I am changing to an image, amost seems like a bug since it has randomly happened twice. ...

Copy html table to word not keeping settings
I want to copy a html table to a word programatically. I have manage to get to a point where the table is pasted. But the paste is not the same as if i would use Ctrl+V or Edit/Paste. For merged cells the font settings are not kept. Is there a way to keep the settings for merged cells? Or a way to paste the html table in a word like the Ctrl+C/Ctrl+V does? ...

Gantt Chart and Critical Path
I have a spreadsheet where I enter time line data in the cells and from that information generate a Gantt chart. What I would like is a way to have symbols on my chart to show milestones, and end points. Anybody have any ideas as to how I could add those symbols on a chart? Thanks. Royce - That's a page I haven't added to my web site yet. Your gantt chart is a stacked (or floating) bar chart. To add symbols, you need to add additional series, using time as your X values, and a normalized Y value corresponding to the bar that needs the marker. Use 1 for your topmost bar, and N...

soften jagged edges of pie charts
I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document Instructions said go to format, click selected data series and click patterns tab then select smoothed line. But the box Smoothed line doesn't exist. Have you tried copying as picture (Shift-Edit-copy as picture)? "zen" wrote: > I am trying to smooth the angles in pie chart which prints okay from an excel > but not when I copy and paste it on a microsoft word document > > Instructions said go to format, click selected...

How do I add a secondary axis to a pivot table chart?
Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a way to add the 2nd axis? Hi, This is chart type dependent. Suppose you have a line chart, right click the series and choose Format Series, the Axis radio button should be available. What type of chart are you using? Cheers, Shane Devenshire "dangelor" <dangelor@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2610028F-5FAF-4400-A3E3-B7D0CCEFB443@microsoft.com... > Using XL2007 - the secondary axis radio buttons are greyed out. Is there a > way to add the 2nd axis? ...

Excel should default to autoformat for chart text boxes
Excel in (Office 2003 and as far as I can tell all previous versions of Excel) should default to autoformat for chart text boxes - it currently selects "none" for outline and background options ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.micr...

Line spacing

AutoFormat not working in Word 2007 in Windows 7
I have just installed the Office 2007 suite on Windows 7 Professional, 64-bit edition. Almost everything works well, but I noticed that when I type quotes, Word 2007 is not automatically converting them from straight quotes to curly quotes. I have went into the Word Options and tried the setting both ways, but it makes no difference. I have made absolutely no changes to this installation, and this problem does not occur on my Windows Vista and Windows XP machines. The computer is virus-free (I have an antivirus solution running, I don't go to shady sites to begin with...

Spell Check in Microsoft Office Word 2007
When trying to use the spell checker function I get the following message: "Cannot find proofing tools for English (United States). If you have the proofing tools, try installing or re-installing them. Contact your local reseller to obtain Office Proofing Tools. For more information see Microsoft Office Site." I had to change to OS to Vista Business and have been getting this since I made the change. Any help would be appreciated. What language is your Office Suite? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ...

global address missing when sending word document as email attachment
Hi All, Im having trouble with my email, Im just wondering if you guys could help me... I use Outlook 2000 as my email browser. It started recently when you create a ms word document and go to: File - send to mail receipient or mail receipient as an attachement outlook does open ok except when I select the TO button I do not get my global address book (company address book), I get nothing. Any help I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance... .. What do you show when you press the TO: button? Does the GAL appear in the dropdown list at all? What does show there? --� Milly ...

why can't I edit a document I created two days ago with same Word
Started using Windows 7 about two weeks ago. Now I can't edit files I just created within the last week using the Word 2007. Why? Hi, I am really sorry that you are experiencing that. I am not quite sure yet thatI fully understand your problem but from what I see it seems taht you are trying to modify a read only file. Make sure taht when you save in word you are not saving the document as "read only." Let me know if this helps and if you have any additional info I would be glad to help you . -- Vicente Tulliano "veteranpoet" wrote: > ...

Excel
Excel is the only application that I use in Windows that wipes out the clipboard after I paste. I often need to past the same information multiple times and I wishthere was an option box that allowed me to keep the clipboard after every past ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree&quo...

Delete embedded chart, how?
I have 2, (Gnatt), charts on the wrksht. How do I del one? -- Boswell Select the chart, hit the delete button. -- David Biddulph "Boswell" <boswell6@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:C439A52B-E430-4B40-95DB-1563E22939AF@microsoft.com... >I have 2, (Gnatt), charts on the wrksht. How do I del one? > -- > Boswell ...

copy/paste
I used to be able to right click to copy paste highlited cells, now nothing comes up when right clicking See your other thread -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Michael Garland" <MichaelGarland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1F256097-EB66-4C95-A42A-EF567E30143E@microsoft.com... >I used to be able to right click to copy paste highlited cells, now nothing > comes up when right clicking ...

Pie Chart color
Hi, Excel 2003. I have a 3 series pie-chart, I simply want to change the color of ONE of the 3 slices in the way I want. Thanks for help. Click the slice; pause; click the slice again, it should now have 'handles' around it. Use Format | Data POINT in menu (if it say Data SERIES, try again) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme remove caps from email "Freightliner" <freightliner2006@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:87a8c3a5-2d6e-43d2-a0ec-7aa1b25c1296@8g2000hse.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > > Excel 2003. I...

How to only "paste values" of cells that are not "hidden"?
Hello, In my document, many columns are hidden. Say column B is hidden, and I need to copy columns A and C and paste values into another Excel document. How can I do that? When I select columns A and C, copy and paste values, the other document contains columns A,B and C, instead of just columns A and C. Thank you! Don't drag-select, control-click A and then C, for scattered-selection. Danny On Sun, 17 Jul 2005 16:33:01 -0700, Sam <Sam@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > In my document, many columns are hidden. Say column B is hidden, &g...

MAPI Failure message using 2007 word
-- JOHN HASKINS I keep getting this error message when I try to send a document from Word 2007 to my Outlook Email Client, which is my default email setup. I followed the recommended steps that help feature suggested, but that did not work by saving the document then closing and also closing Outlook, which was when word would restart it would start a new MAPI Session. No Go! What much I do. All other applications and software allow me to send to my email client except Office. ...

move axes and axis labels behind data points on scatter chart
I'm working with a series of XY scatter charts that all pull data from the same worksheet. They are all copied from the "original" scatter chart and then just have the cell references changed so that the formatting stays consistent across the series. (The charts will be shown sequentially and I don't want anything changing other than the location of the data points.) However, on some of the charts, the axis and/ or the axis label appers on top/ in front of some of the data points and behind/ under other data points (which is what I want - the axes and labels behind th...

Problem with copying and pasting tasks and keeping predecessors in
I am doing a consulting project for an organization that has a bit of an unusual request. We are doing a conversion from an old mail system to Microsoft Exchange 2007. We have developed a checklist for the technicians to follow with about 50 detailed tasks (things like, "Open up Exchange Management Console", "Assure the 'Forward' Button is unchecked", etc.). The CIO expects me to enter each of the tasks from the checklist into the project plan. Instead of having a line on the project plan with a task, "Covert Leroy Smith's Mailbox" wi...

Hide Quck Parts in Word 2007
Hi, Is it possible to hide empty quick parts in word 2007? I am populating quick parts from a sharepoint list (wss 3.0) and some of the fields in this list are not rquired and the field names are showing when the metadata is empty. http://www.moss2007.be/blogs/vandest/archive/2009/12/03/configure-word-2007-content-controls-with-empty-placeholder-text.aspx ...

Formatting Chart Category Labels
I'm creating a fairly complex chart - a spider graph "dashboard" report that addresses 4 major areas of an organization's performance - finance, quality, efficiency and customer satisfaction. Each category has 4-7 data elements, so that there are a total of 22 data elements on the chart. There will be 2 sections of the report, a chart showing YTD, LYTD and Goal values for the data elements and the graph itself. I envision this as a relatively easy way for management or board to get a snapshot of comparative key performance indicators. So far so good - input form, c...

Charting Problem #2
I have a problem with charting a Dynamic chart. I goes ok to set up the dynamic function as a range. It also shows the correct series. The range is as follows: =OFFSET(Sheet3!$A$1;1;Sheet3!$P$2-1;COUNTA(INDIRECT("C"&Sheet3!$P$2;FALSE));1) Where P2 is an input from a listbox, and the name of the range is: Sheet3!Dato. When I try to change the reference for the series i get the following message: "Your formula contains an invalid external reference to a worksheet. Verify the path, workbook, and range name or cell reference are correct, and try again." The serie...

Which 'event' to run pivot chart formatting code on file open?
Greetings I have code to change my pivot chart type to a mix of line and column also to refomat colours I need to run the code so that the user sees the changes when the file is opened Ive tried the 'workbook open' event and the chart activate event but noy joy so far. (Once the file is open, manualy triggering the code works perfectly) Any ideas? Thanks I don't know why workbook_open doesn't work. You could use Application.OnTime to run your code a short time (like 2 sec) after the workbook opens. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Peltier Technical Services, Inc. http://Peltier...

can't find word document
I opened an email with a word document attachment, made changes to it and clicked the save icon on the tool bar. The changes did not save. Can you help find the modifed version? Doesn't work that way. You must save the attachment into a folder on your hard drive before opening it and working on it. "HELP!!!!!" <HELP!!!!!@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A5546C5C-7D6C-460B-84C4-79EA32CD5A41@microsoft.com... :I opened an email with a word document attachment, made changes to it and : clicked the save icon on the tool bar. The changes did not sav...