Grouping dates in pivot table

I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table.
Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date.  This is a field I
would like to group by in the pivottable.  I am aware of all the
techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an
answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly
from a sql query.

I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent
formats with no success.

Any insights into this would be appreciated.
0
Marc

Probably coming in as text and yuo may only need to copy an unused cell and
paste special values + "Add" to convert them to all real dates that yuo can
then group

"Marc" wrote:

> I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table.
> Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date.  This is a field I
> would like to group by in the pivottable.  I am aware of all the
> techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an
> answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly
> from a sql query.
>
> I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent
> formats with no success.
>
> Any insights into this would be appreciated.
> .

Search criteria:
OLAP Pivot Table date 2007
Herbert
11/18/2009 6:23:21 PM
On Nov 18, 11:23=A0am, Bob Umlas, Excel MVP
<BobUmlasExcel...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Probably coming in as text and yuo may only need to copy an unused cell a=
nd
> paste special values + "Add" to convert them to all real dates that yuo c=
an
> then group
>

> "Marc" wrote:
> > I am pulling data from a SQL Server database to create a pivot table.
> > Excel (07) is not recognizing the field as a date. =A0This is a field I
> > would like to group by in the pivottable. =A0I am aware of all the
> > techniques to convert this to a date field, but I am searching for an
> > answer as to why XL pivot tables cannot consume the dates directly
> > from a sql query.
>
> > I have played with bringing the dates back in a number of differenent
> > formats with no success.
>
> > Any insights into this would be appreciated.

This is true.  The trick is consuming the data directly from the query
which should be possible.
0
Marc

Date Formatting when Concantenating

Show a date 30 days out
I have a feild that I would like to show what the date would be in 30 days for a feild with a date in it [Sold Date]. Sold Date feild would be 1 Jan 07 so the feild would show 30 Days later 31 Jan 07. I did =[Sold date]+30 and it did not work Thanks how about dateadd: dateadd("d", 30, [Sold Date]) -- steve. "KAnoe" <KAnoe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE9BDDAE-5C84-4A52-8185-DAB6C3167E7A@microsoft.com... >I have a feild that I would like to show what the date would be in 30 days > for a feild with a date in it [Sold Date]. > ...

Dates in fomula showing as whole number

Domian Local into Domain Admins Group
How do I make a 'Domain Local' security group which contains a Universal group from another domain, a member of the Global 'Domain Admins' group? DL's can't become a member of GG's Cosmo, you can not. Domain global groups can contain only users and global groups from the same domain... If you need to grant Domain Admins equivalent privileges to accounts from other domains, add them to the domain local Administrators group and local Administrators groups on all domain member computers... hth Marcin "Cosmo" <Cosmo@discussions.microso...

Auto Forward mail to a group of External addresses
Can someone please tell me how I create an Auto Forward to a group of external email addresses. I want to setup an auto forward on my exchange so that all mail sent to forward@mydomain.com is then forwarded to a group of email accounts such as me@hotmail.com, me@yahoo.com, user@mail.com. Can someone please tell me how I set this up on an exchange server. I know how to do it for an individual but I can't work out how I create an auto forward for a group of people. Thanks for any advice! what version Exchange? only the terminology is different...create custom recipients/contacts ...

How to install Exchange in an "Administrative Group"
I am running Windows 2003 and Exchange 2003 on a DC in my lab. Exchange is installed in the "First Administrative Group". Now I want to install a second Exchange 2003 Server in another "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". This is what I did: 1. Installed the second Exchange 2003 server in the "First Administrative Group". 2. Created the second "Administrative Group" called "Midwest". 3. Tried to move the second Exchange 2003 server into the "Midwest" Administrative Group. The problem was that I was not able to &q...

groups detail section totals access 2003
Hi all, I know this can be done, but haven't figured out how yet. I have what basically is a summary report that my sql comes up with for the detail rows. I want to total these rows in the report and display immediately below the detail section. I don't really want to group anything, but want to treat the whole detail section as a group. That being said, how can I get a "group footer" on the designer so I can add my total columns. If I use "sorting and grouping", it starts grouping things and that is not what I want. I don't want to use the "page foo...

Creating a table
There's probably an easier way to do it but... I have a series of numbers in column A (150 in all) and a series of letters in column B (22 in all). In total there are 4800 rows. What I am trying to do is create a table with the number down the left hand side and the letters across the top. In each cell within the table I need to count how many times the combination of number/letter appears. Eg: A B C 201 0 2 2 202 3 0 1 203 3 6 4 I tried combining the number/letter into a single text field using the CONCATENATE function then filtering ...

date/time formatting

FP: Couldnt close table
We have been receiving this error on two separate PCs after a recent upgrade to 7.5. Our version is 7.50g43 (service pack 5). At first we thought it was isolated to one PC now a second PC is having the same error. On the first PC, I ran new network cable, installed a different network card with no help. This PC is Win98, 64MB RAM, 600Mhz. The second PC has 128MB RAM also Win98. I don't believe switching to XP is an option right now. This message has appeared in the payables module on both machines. But it has also appeared in receivables as well. Not in GL or Payroll. I...

Update one table from another

Same Table cannot be the child table in two nexted relations...
I've been setting up a schema with the XML Designer in VS .NET 2003. The designer lets me set up a lot of things including a complex type that contains an unnamed complex type called modified. When I try to preview the dataset, I get an error described as "The same table (modified) cannot be the child table in two nested relations. I've run into this before with a different complex type, and I've changed the name of the instance of the type in the various elements it's used, and the problem goes away. In this case, problem is an unnamed complex type, so it only a...

Pivot tables and Macros
I was looking to be able to manipulate (ie change selections from the drop downs, not change the fields in the table or anything)and print from a pivot table using a macro. So how do I go about doing that? When I set up a macro by recording the actions that I want to do, I always get an error message when I try to run it as a macro. What specific steps are you recording, and what error message do you get? Can you click the Debug button, and see the line of code that is causing the problem? Dust For Eyes wrote: > I was looking to be able to manipulate (ie change selections from the >...

How to copy aQuery to a new Table?
I have a database in a Table, a report based on that same Table and a Query based on that Report. After two months or so I like, after some new data input, to save the Table into a new Object Table. What is the best way for the Report and Query to follow the new Table whitout recreating the original Report & Query? Thankyou for your comments. I use MS Office Access 2007. Joe T >>I have a database in a Table, a report based on that same Table and a Query based on that Report. Your phrasing is wrong when it comes to the elements of an Access database. A dat...

Finding all queries which use a table

Count Age Grouping
I have an access 2k database in which I need to count groups of records of individuals by that age groups such as 14- 20 no of individuals 21-30 no of individuals 31-40 no of individuals 41-50 no of individuals 51-60 no of individuals 61-70 no of individuals 71-80 no of individuals 80+ no of individuals I have both DOB and Age fields in the table I have tried several queries but with no luck and ideas On 19 Mar 2007 16:51:49 -0700, "Nemesis_uk" <nemesis_uk@ntlworld.com> wrote: >I have an access 2k ...

Calculate Subreport totals in a main report Group footer
Hi all Apologies if this has been answered before but I can’t find it. I have a main Report with a Group called “Product_Category” which lists a number of “Products” in the Detail I have a Subreport named “product_costs” which has a record for each date and Text Boxes named “materials” and “fuel” (there are more but I’ll keep it simple). The Subreport sums all costs and has Text Boxes named “summaterials” and “sumfuel” in the footer (all with a height of 0.1cm) The Subreport is embedded in the Detail of the Categories and linked by Product_id In the Detail of the Main Rep...

Pivot Table in Excel
hi, I have a problem using the pivot Table in excel 2000. Earlier the location of the pivot table in excel was pointing to say c:\sales.mdb. Now the location has changed to D:\Sales.mdb. someone please tell me the place to change in the excel to reflect the same. So that upon refreshing the document i can see the latest data. Currently i am getting a error message when i try to refresh, but its not prompting to change to alternative location. If i edit the excel file in a notepad...i can see the location pointing to c:\sales.mdb. Thanks in advance for any help regarding this..expect...