Gremlin in Excel 97 running on Windows XP Home edition

When transferring Excel files to Excel 97 installed on
Windows XP Home Ed. from Excel 97 installed on Windows 95
or 98, the "Save as" window shows only the first letter
of the file's name and will not accept the full name of
the file even when completed manually by typing it in.
The file saves only as "(First letter).xls".

The file name must be completed in Excel once the file
has been saved by going into the "Open file" menu window
and right-clicking on the file name, then typing in the
full name. However, it then automatically adds in
the ".xls" suffix a second time.

Excel 97 appears to be working normally otherwise. I have
also installed Office service packs 1 and 2 since this
problem was noticed, but to no avail.

Any ideas anyone?

Tks in advance

MatthieuR
04.09.16
0
MatthieuR (1)

Check to see if Excel is running in Windows 95 compatibility mode.

There was a post that said:
When I disabled compatibility mode the file name problem went away.
http://google.com/groups?threadm=020101c30916%2442320250%24a501280a%40phx.gbl

And maybe this will help:

HOW TO: Use Windows Program Compatibility Mode in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;292533

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Access 97 can't resize database window

How do I create a sample in Excel?

Excel 97 Win XP calc problem?

Running Money 2003 in Vista

Date display in Excel

Excel and some disappeared sheets

Accessing Windows Office Templates
There are some very nice templates at the Windows Office Template Gallery. I would like to download (mostly Word, but a few Excel) some of these templates, but the format comes out with a ".cab" extension that Office v.X doesn't understand. Is there any way to get these templates? Unfortunately, they make the Mac template archive look very weak. TIA Len Hi Len, Microsoft has a Mac template download page: http://www.microsoft.com/mac/resources/templates.aspx?pid=templates There's a link to the on-line gallery on that page. It looks like a newly re-designed gallery to m...

Access 97/2000/2003 comparisons

Here is fix for Windows file problems

About Exit and close window.
Group, I have a dialogue base application. There's an Exit button in it. Eachtime when exit the program by clicking Exit button, fun() and OnOK() executed, but if the window is close by clicking (x) on the upper-right coner, fun() will not be executed. How to make this function--fun()--executed when click (x) button on the upper-right coner? Thanks. Rather than calling your fun() from the Exit event handler, call it from the dialog closing event handler, so that no matter how it is shut down, that method is called, and so is fun(). hope that helps. Dan. "sxy7711" <sxy771...

Office installation and Windows 7

Why XP style not appeared?
I write a IE Band ( A DLL. )like googlebar. I set the RT_MANIFEST and rewrite the resource ID = 2. #define IDR_RT_MANIFEST1 2 Why XP style not appeared? but googlebar has. // this is my stdafx.h #ifndef WINVER // #define WINVER 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINNT // #define _WIN32_WINNT 0x0400 // #endif #ifndef _WIN32_WINDOWS // #define _WIN32_WINDOWS 0x0410 #endif #ifndef _WIN32_IE // #define _WIN32_IE 0x0501 // #endif build environment: VS2003 + XP SP2 + IE6 thanks ! ...

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Money 04 runs very slow
file size is 17,480 kb, about 5 years data. Machine is a P4 2.2 GHz, 512 mb ram. Money runs very slow, processing downloaded statements, switching screens, etc. I switched from Quicken about a year ago. That didn't run nearly this slow. Any ideas? Will trimming the file size help at all or much? Thanks Ideas? See http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=4. Trimming? Most people haven't had great luck trying this through means like File|Archive--which, by the way, I'd discourage for any number of reasons. "Tom Orlando" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote i...