Graph Data Values

I am trying to create a pick and mix graph that shows forecast spen
against actual spend by a selected business area.

I somehow want to create a graph on the fly based on the selections fo
example:

If I choose company one and want to see the contracted data I want th
graph to pick up the forcasted contracted Labour, Passthru and Othe
and show the combined contracted actuals;  See attached;

and if i then choose company 2 then graph will pick up the releven
ranges?

HELP!!

                 Attachment filename: help.zip
Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=55959

You could select the relevant data for all three companies, and create a
chart from that.
Then, select a cell in the table, and choose Data>Filter>Autofilter
 From the dropdown list in the first column heading, choose Custom
 From the first dropdown in the Custom dialog box, choose 'Begins with'
In the Text box, type Comp1
Click OK, and the chart will display the data for Company 1

To make the selection easier, you could add a column to your table, and
extract the company name from column J, e.g.: =LEFT(J6,5)
Then, filter on that for the company name.

mark curtis < wrote:
> I am trying to create a pick and mix graph that shows forecast spend
> against actual spend by a selected business area.
>
> I somehow want to create a graph on the fly based on the selections for
> example:
>
> If I choose company one and want to see the contracted data I want the
> graph to pick up the forcasted contracted Labour, Passthru and Other
> and show the combined contracted actuals;  See attached;
>
> and if i then choose company 2 then graph will pick up the relevent
> ranges?
>
> HELP!!!
>
>                  Attachment filename: help.zip
> Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=559594
> ---

Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)
5/28/2004 12:31:14 PM
but how do i split the graph to show actuals and forecast combinatio
graph

If you stagger your data, you can create side-by-side stacked columns.

Bernard Liengme has an example and instructions on his site:
        http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Columns.htm

and the following MSKB article has an example:
        XL2000: Creating Charts with Multiple Groups of Stacked Bars
         http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=214119

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

customizing contact data where is the master?
somehow i have a "1" in the area code master field but can't get it to hold the real area code. any idea where i go in the program to change the basic of the contact record? sometime i get soooo tired... *sigh* thanks ...

no data in "To" column, IMAP sent email folder
There is no data displayed in the "To" column until the email has been re-opened and then it appears. We are using IMAP folders & this applies to the Sent Email folder. Does anyone know a fix for this? In message <<056b01c3aa37$c305b440$a101280a@phx.gbl>> "Tim" <tpienaar@bigpond.com> did ramble: >There is no data displayed in the "To" column until the >email has been re-opened and then it appears. We are using >IMAP folders & this applies to the Sent Email folder. >Does anyone know a fix for this? If you set Outlook to down...

formatting cells for radar graph
Is there a way to format cells so that when you type in a whole number, it is converted to a decimal? (EX: If I type in 150, I want the cell to format this whole number as .150) I have a radar graph that I have set up to graph product thickness, when the thickness is less than a whole number. Thanks Hi Debbie, Yes: use Tools|Options and open Edit tab; locate Fixed Decimals and set it to 3 However, I think this is "global" and will apply to all workbooks you subsequently open; so do remember to set it off. Alternative: enter the three digit numbers; type 1000 in an empty ce...

Multiple line charts on the same graph
Let's say that I have 10 columns of data. Column A represents "origination" dates and Column B represents "total revenue" for those dates in Column A. Column C represents other origination dates and Column D represents total revenue for each of those dates in Column C. Etc for Columns E/F, G/H, and I/J. I know how to create a Line Graph for A/B. But how do I create FIVE lines (graphs), each representing A/B, C/D, E/F, G/H, and I/J, respectively, and all appearing on the SAME chart? Thanks! Use a scatter XY chart with lines and setup your data like this (sh...

Macro/keyboard shortcut to increment a cell value
I would like to set up a keyboard shortcut (e.g., Ctrl+I) that would increment the value of the selected cell by 1. Can someone get me started by pointing me in the right direction? I have some experience creating simple macros in Word, if that is what's needed. Thanks -- PC: HP Omnibook 6000 OS: Win 2K SP-4 (5.00.2195) LAN: P2P with an HP Vectra workstation Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com (11/03/04) One way is to make a macro and assign the shortcut key to it: Option Explicit Sub AddOneToActiveCell() With ActiveCell If IsNumeric(.Value) Then .Value = .Val...

Line Chart values appearing at wrong place
Hi, I have some values as below. The max scale is 10. But values for H, G are showing at point 10, though the values are 2.4 & 0.3 etc. What is the problem. Apr May Jun Jul Aug Sep A 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 0.7 B 0.4 0.4 0.4 0.4 0.4 0.4 C 0.0 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 D 4.4 4.4 4.4 4.6 4.6 4.6 E 0.2 0.2 0.2 0.0 0.0 0.0 F 2.0 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5 1.5 G 0.0 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 0.3 H 2.4 2.4 2.4 2.4 2.4 2.4 It seems to be working for me. My data range is =Sheet1!$A$1:$G$9 and the series is organized in rows. For each series the name is in column A and the values are in columns B through G. The Category (X)...

Excel 2007 texture fill of chart data series columns
I need a way to use fill type to distinguish columns in a column chart for a black and white publication. Ideally, this would be the traditional horizontal, vertical or diagonal stripes or dots or checks. The only fill options I seem to get in 2007 Excel are shading, colors, or "textures", none of which really fulfill my needs. Is there any way to access the traditional stripes or dots from previous versions of Excel? Hi, The UI for that feature was removed in xl2007 but this addin provides a method of doing pattern fills. http://www.andypope.info/charts/patternfills.htm ...

XmlSerializer, problem mixing attributes and element values

Cond format based on if field value is valid
Hello all, I have a combo box whos control source is a filed on a form,its Row Source type is a query and its row source is a record from the query. Basically the field on the form is a category ID number. The query compares that category number to the list of category numbers and the end result is that the category descritpion text is displayed on the form. I need that descritpion combo box to change colors if the category code is not on the list of available category codes. How can I accomplish this? Thanks for your advice.... ...

How to Trap Rogue Data ?
I have an application that generates hourly system performance logfiles which I graph to look for long term trending. The metric I use gradually varies from 1% to about 15% depending on various external factors - such as time of day and day of week. My problem is that the logfiles sometime hiccup and generate bad data resulting is huge spikes in my curve. I have trapped for the big ones > 20% in my source data but I need something smarter so I can catch large deviations from the curve. Unfortunately I do not have the option to fix the application that generated the bad data. Are ther...

Regular data file imports
We have a General Ledger file that is beining imported by Users on dialy basis into excel from a text file. The column widths are identical every day. Currently the Import wizard is used on a daily basis to split the dat into the selected columns. How can I have the file automatically complete the format when the fil is opened or after the file is opened. The file will have a different name each day. Is there an easy way or will a macro have to be written. Thanks ca -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I receive a 4,000+ line bank statement each month in text format and h...

Cleaning all data from Money 2002
I want to "start over" using Money 2002 or clean all the data infomration from Money. I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it but all the old data is "saved" and reloads. How can I completely remove all the data that was previously installed so I can make a fresh start using Money 2002? The data is held in typically My Money.mny. Anyway look for a file *.mny and delete it. Alternatively to keep it for reference, rename the *.mny file and in Money use File > New. -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For UK tips & fixes see http://support....

Search through Data
I have created a drop down list for my data. Is there a way i can make it so i can search through the data in the drop down list without scrolling Try Debra's nice coverage on "autocomplete" for data validation at her: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal10.html Data Validation -- Combo box -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "adz" wrote: > I have created a drop down list for my data. Is there a way i can make it so > i can search through the data in the drop down list without scrolling ...

set excel cell value
i'm no expert at vba and have been having a hard time trying to send a value from an open access form to a specific cell in excel. I've been writing a module in Ac2000 that opens excel, names the sheet, and sends some Access table data over. Thanks to Bob Larsons code I was able to do most of this. After a week of trial and error i'm now also able to format the sheet the way it needs to be, plus some conditional formatting that seems to be working out great- now i'm very badly stuck on trying to send a value from an open access form to a particular cell in the shee...

is it possible to change print ink color based on cell value?
Is it possible to change print ink color based on value in a cell for a spreadsheet application? Example: If a cell's value is over 250, can I have it print the number in red ink to draw my attention to it?? You can use Conditional Formatting (Format>Conditional Formatting) to test the value and set the font colour accordingly. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Dave The Mechanic" <Dave The Mechanic@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0B63AB99-5824-4AFB-A206-D4CDF1BB9D48@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to chang...

Axis Values Keep changing
I have a scientific table of values containing time increments as column entries (0, .5, 1.0, 1.5, 2.0, etc.). There is a corresponding record entry for each of these time increments. When I attempt to create a CHART, however, that range of values changes to 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.). I've played with changing the increment values to number format, and I can't seem to get beyond what excel's chart wizard insists upon doing to this range of values. Any suggestions? You have been making a LINE chart when you need an XY chart best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP htt...

Pivot Table -Want to display field rather than preform claculation in Data box
Is there a way in a pivot table to simply display a value of a field in the Data box rather than perform a calculation on that value. I don't want to count it, sum it. I just want it displayed. Thanks! Hi if you only have one filed for a row/column item SUM would display that value. So I'm not sure what you're exactly trying to do. A pivot table is used for the aggregation of values -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Vincent wrote: > Is there a way in a pivot table to simply display a value of a field > in the Data box rather than perform a calculation on that v...

count values
Hi everibody In column 1 are cells with different values (some cells have 10, other have 100 other have 500 etc); How can excel say "there are X cells with value 10, Y cells with value 100, Z cells with value 500 etc."? Thanks a lot Look in the help index for COUNTIF -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "neerav" <neerav@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F40046DB-74B3-4F06-BC99-0853F0ECFCAB@microsoft.com... > > Hi everibody > In column 1 are cells with different values (some cells have 10, other ...

Getting Data from Web pages
Hi All I have a task involving getting house council tax information from a web page. Basically it involves entering a postcode followed by the pricing band then council. The data is presented within the page and I copy and paste the relevant part to notepad before importing into Excel.Is it possible to automate this, I am looking for someone to point me in the right direction and I will hopefully research the rest. TIA Karen Karen What is the web address?....this should help us see if there is anything that can be automated -- HTH Nick Hodge Microsoft MVP - Excel Southampton, England n...

How do I copy data (word) into respective cells when the data bei.
I have word data in 2 or more collums (not cells). When I copy and paste that data into a cell (word or excel) all that data goes into one cell. How do I get the data into the respective cells without going back and cut from one cell to another? Hi one method that i've used before to do this may work for you, in Word, select the columns then click on the INSERT TABLE icon on the toolbar - if you're lucky the columns will convert to two tables side by side then select the left hand side table (it might also select the right it doesn't matter) then click on the split cells ico...

external data & excel
Hello everybody. I have database in excel and in linked with access table via getexternal data|linlk. I works well. My problem is when i copy the two files into another system it is giving some error. saying that link fine is missed. Thanks to all for the suggestions in advance. Regards Sridhar In the client database try clicking Tools/Database Utilities/Linked Table Manager. Then click Select All to select all tables and put a tick in "Always prompt for new location". Then click OK and navigate to the database containing your tables. It may refresh all in one go or ...

Data aggregation with multiple workbooks
I am currently setting up a workbook. In this workbook I have a data input sheet where people would fill out information. Multiple people will be filling out this worksheet. What is the best way to aggregate the data among multiple workbooks. -- Kad On May 10, 2:39=A0pm, Kadco <Ka...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am currently setting up a workbook. In this workbook I have a data inpu= t > sheet where people would fill out information. Multiple people will be > filling out this worksheet. What is the best way to aggregate the data am= ong > multiple w...

DMM Duplicate List Values
well, this is my first real cut at trying to use the 4.0 DMM, and I have to say it sucks. I want to go back to the 3.0 version. (at least I could manipulate the data in the DM tables if I needed to). And I can't get it to install on the SQL Server box either. anywho, all I want to do is assign different input values to a one picklist value - if its ON, on, Ont, Ontario,,,,, I want the picklist value to be 'Ontario' - just a little light data cleansing. I can't do it in the Mapping tool in CRM - I can do it using the 'sample' mapping editor, but then the DMM thr...

Filter data based on multiple columns
I would like to see the unique values from column A, where Column B is a max() for that value in A. For example, in Column A there are several 1's, I would like to see the max of column B, where column A is a 1, and the same thing repeated for all the other unique values in column A. INPUT: A B 1 07/22/05 1 08/26/05 1 10/11/05 2 11/04/05 2 01/04/06 2 07/22/05 3 08/26/05 4 10/11/05 4 11/04/05 The output I'm looking for would look like this: A B 1 10/11/05 2 01/04/06 3 08/26/05 4 11/04/05 Try a Pivot Table: First, make sure your table has column headings (exampe: A1: MyNumber, B...

Disguising data entries
I am using MS Excel 2000 and Windows 2000. My spreadsheet requires users to enter an ID before they can access the info it holds. But when they type the ID in, it is visible to to client they are working with, which is not very secure. I thought I could format the cell as a password so that when the ID is typed in only asterisks would show, but this does not seem to be possible. Is there a solution to my problem please? HTH Wicked Wizard AFAIK it's not possible to do it directly in a worksheet cell, but it is possible to do this with a textbox on a userform. Set the textbox p...