Grand Totals without subtotals

Hi,

I am preparing a number of tables, all of different sizes.  I woul
like to record a command in a macro that will calculate the Grand Tota
of a specific column even though the number of rows in that column wil
vary for each table I prepare.  The 'subtotals' command is perfect fo
this, except I do not require to subtotal any column at a specifi
change, only Grand Total the entire column.  I have tried using
simple 'sum' forumla, however this doesn't seem to work in tables wit
a larger/smaller number of rows as it selects the exact cell I recorde
in the macro.

Does anyone know a way round this??

Cheers folks,

Mel

Put this in a Non-"D" Column Cell
 =SUM(D:D)

"melvin" <melvin.xux4a@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> Hi,
>
> I am preparing a number of tables, all of different sizes.  I would
> like to record a command in a macro that will calculate the Grand Total
> of a specific column even though the number of rows in that column will
> vary for each table I prepare.  The 'subtotals' command is perfect for
> this, except I do not require to subtotal any column at a specific
> change, only Grand Total the entire column.  I have tried using a
> simple 'sum' forumla, however this doesn't seem to work in tables with
> a larger/smaller number of rows as it selects the exact cell I recorded
> in the macro.
>
> Does anyone know a way round this??
>
> Cheers folks,
>
> Melv

> ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to
creating financial statements

0
jmay (696)

Representing times in excel without dates
Excel experts I need your help!! I am using Office XP excel and am trying to represent time in the format: AM/PM without seconds. When I put in the time [I have the cell number format set to time/"1:30PM"/Locale is English (United States)], it comes up with the date preceding the time. I have tried varying settings of time but they all come up with the date. So if I try to put in 1:00PM it would represent this as a date and leave the rest of the time as 12am. I am doing a time sheet that subtracts the hours from between two times and then adds the differences up. I want it to ...

total repeating subreport
Hi, thanks in advance for any help... I have main / sub report setup to produce and invoice. the main form provides the "project detail" for an invoice the subreport gathers, presents and then totals all of the line item charges, the total is recored in the filed sumTask. the subreport repeast for as many task as there are associated for a particular project, so a project can have 1...n tasks, and each task can have 1...n line items (the actualy charge for the material labor, etc) this all works perfectly. Now I need to calculate the grand total from the re...

Report based on Record Totals
I need to create a report based on the total amount of records there are in about 8 different queries. I don't need any of the information except the total amount of records that there are. Any help would be appreciated. -Anthony Morano SELECT COUNT(*) As countInQ1, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM q2) As countInQ2, (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM q3) As countInQ3, ... (SELECT COUNT(*) FROM q8) As countInQ8 FROM q1 where I assume the queries name are q1, q2, ... q8 If you want 8 rows, rather than one, try: SELECT COUNT(*) As myCount, 1 as queryNumber FROM q1 UNION ALL SELECT COUN...

Outlook workgroup synchronization (without Exchange?)
Hi, I'm trying to organize synchronization between Outlook data (tasks and contacts not emails) between 5 workstations. Can it be done with the Outlook only, or do I need the MS Exchange? We have Win2000 + MS Office 2000. Thanks in advence for the answer , best regards, Lech ...

Set Y-Axis max value to cell value without VBA?
I'm working on a home-grown pareto chart in my workbook; the data will change and I'd like to dynamically have the (primary) Y-Axis max match the sum of all values so that that it will synch with the secondary Y-axis which will always have my 0-100% of the total (line). Is there an easy way to force the primary Y-axis to have a maximum value matching a cell in my worksheet? Thanks, Keith You need VBA, but it's not terribly hard. Here's how (my site): http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html and here's a utility that handles the heavy lifting for yo...

Error in Subtotal Wizard (Grouping and Outlining)
I'm having trouble with Excel 2003 and the Subtotals Wizard. When I perform a three-level grouping on the data listed below, it appears that some groups are missing and outline levels 3, 4, and 5 are messed up. Given the following list of data: Region columnb Office Employee columne Issue NW SEA 123 Salary NW PDX 234 Benefits NW PDX 244 Salary NW PDX 212 Salary NW BOI 232 Benefits SW LAX 673 Salary SW LAX 34 Benefits SW LAX 654 Benefits SW PHX 556 Salary SW DEN 322 Benefits SW DEN 65 Salary ...

Summing results of other totals
I run a query and a report that gives me totals of my fields by specific dates I enter. For example I can run my query and report by entering; between 1/1/2008 and 1/5/2008. I will get a summary for each individual date where my specific fields are totalled, and I get a grand total for each date. I am trying to figure out a way I can add a field to either my query or report that will give me a total of the grand total for all the dates selected. I tried adding something like =sum(date) but that was just adding how many days there were. As always any help is always appreciated! -- ...

Setting up columns to show total
I am attempting to do the following in column 1, I want to include an expense and continue adding to the column additonal expenses in column 2 I would like it to show a continuous total of each entry I put into column 1 Could someone please help me setup the proper formula for doing this. -- Thank you in advance for your assistance HankL =SUM(A$1:A1) copy down HTH -- AP "Hank Laskin" <hlaskin@bendnet.com> a �crit dans le message de news: %23V3q7YhlGHA.2304@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... >I am attempting to do the following > in column 1, I want to include an expense...

inserting totals on a column chart
hi i have this spreadsheet that tracks indicators for a project and i display the results in a column char there are 3 columns, but within each column it is made up of 3 groups i.e. for the hours worked column it is made up of the U.S, Europe and Africa showing the number of hours for each continent i'm wondering if it is possible to insert the total above or below the column to show the total number of hours worked by all the contents, which is the data changes it is automatically updated like the rest of the char please hel joan Answered in the Charting newsgroup. - Jon ------- Jo...

reports by total sale qty of item and on hand qty with specific s
Report that shows total qty sold for item. qty on hand and in a specific date range ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us/default.mspx?mid=13763723-9122-4a67-be7f-d7478401437d&...

Adding up weekly totals
Hi I'm new to excel and was wondering how to add up the total for each week, automatically so for example: Week Number Date Total For Day 42 18/10/2003 31.72 42 17/10/2003 148.64 42 16/10/2003 229.13 42 15/10/2003 276.12 42 14/10/2003 336.01 42 13/10/2003 224.44 41 11/10/2003 58.76 41 10/10/2003 186.23 41 09/10/2003 353.67 41 08/10/2003 210.32 41 07/10/2003 297.26 41 06/10/2003 205.04 40 04/10/2003 103.4 40 03/10/2003 162.73 40 02/10/2003 273.17 40 01/10/2003 205.62 40 30/09/2003 348.14 40 29/09/2003 348.39 ... ... ... That would be part of the ta...

Formatting Subtotals #2
When using Data, Subtotals to create subtotals in a detailed spreadsheet, how do I set the format so that all subtotal lines are bolded and are followed by a specified number of blank rows? One option - Collapse the sheet to show only the subtotals, then select visible cells only (F5>Special>Visible Cells only) Then Bold those cells and, instead of adding empty rows, make the subtotal rows taller and format them with the vertical alignment at the top "slh" wrote: > When using Data, Subtotals to create subtotals in a detailed spreadsheet, > how do I set the f...

Pivot table -Show Q3 and Q4 with non-filtered Total
Hi guys, Need help with the question detailed below. In my Pivot Table: Field "Qty" is xlDataField. Field "Quarter" is xlColumnField. The report shows the quantities for each quarter, like: Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Total 2 5 4 5 16 I need to show only Q3 and Q4, but live the "Total" with the whole quantity, like: Q3 Q4 Total 4 5 16 How can I achieve that? Thanks in advance, Aldo. ...

Attach mdf file without ndf
Hi, I have a database with one mdf file for the primary file group and one ndf file por a secondary file group. I wasn't using the ndf file, so all my data is in the mdf file. Last night I lost the ndf file and I tried to attach the mdf file, but sql is looking for the ndf file. I even tried to use an ndf file from a backup, but I received a message error that said the file doesn't match with the primary file. Is there a way to attach an mdf file ignoring this ndf file? "Ricardo Cortes" <RicardoCortes@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BAD...

Don't see total of account in account listing
Hello. This should be quick -- I just added an investment account and filled it with investments . . . but I can not see the total on the right. I don't understand why I am not able to see the total in the accounts page when all my other accounts show their total. Anything really silly I am doing? I am using MSMoney 04 with windows xp . . .. Thanks, Tim In microsoft.public.money, TBB wrote: >Hello. This should be quick -- I just added an investment account and filled >it with investments . . . but I can not see the total on the right. I don't >understand why I am not ab...

How to view outlook archive (pst) without using outlook
Is there any way to archive all your built up messages in outlook and then view them using some other viewer. I would like to have all my messages accessible without using outlook. On Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:41:28 -1000, <jonswaino@hotmail.com> wrote: > Is there any way to archive all your built up messages in outlook and > then view them using some other viewer. I would like to have all my > messages accessible without using outlook. Not as far as I know - the PST is a closed format. Why don't you want to use Outlook? -- -Ben- Ben M. Schorr, MVP-OneNote/Outlook Oper...

want liks to work when convert ppt to html without showing the out
I would like to convert a ppt 2007 file to html. I want to require that viewers click through each slide so I don't want to show the outline. However, when I do this there is a problem. When a hypertext link is clicked on and then closed it brings you to the beginning of the presentation. In article <AFFCE372-344A-4707-B544-A64BD5B57FAA@microsoft.com>, Lvk2000 wrote: > I would like to convert a ppt 2007 file to html. I want to require that > viewers click through each slide so I don't want to show the outline. > However, when I do this there is a proble...

Can I automatically resize all controls in a Dialog without adding user codes
Dear All, Can I design a Dialog that automatically resizes all controls when the Dialog is being resized? Many thanks, Yes. You can resize or move them as you wish by handling OnSize of the dialog. SetWindowPos can be used to change the size and/or position. Here is a helpful link: http://www.codeproject.com/dialog/resizabledialog.asp --- Ajay No. You must explicitly take action on the OnSize handler to resize them. Sometimes, there are packages called "geometry managers" that make this fairly straightforward (check www.codeproject.com and www.codeguru.com for examples)...

Combination equalling total
I have one large number. I also have numerous other numbers. I know that some combination of the numerous numbers equals the large number. Is there formula/function that would tell me which of the numbers this is? The only code I'm aware of that does this is here: http://www.mrexcel.com/pc09.shtml ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "S. Mac" <S. Mac@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:250B7E09-33BF-4C2E-9371-C165CA7325B4@microsoft.com... > I have one large number. I also have numerous other numbers. I know that > some combination...

Multithreading: Safe to have two readers on data without locks?
I'm still trying to fully grasp locking / multi-threading issues. I know locks are required whenever reader and writers interact with the same data on different threads. However, if you have two seperate threads reading a piece of data, but the data is not being written to by anything while those threads are processing, is a lock required if the threads have a chance of executing the read at the same time, or is it safe to have multiple read-only attempts to a piece of data? Thanks, Josh McFarlane If you KNOW that nothing will ever write to them while your reader threads are active th...

Total VPN Access for SFO
Have been going through this forum and am wondering whether anyone has completely configured SFO over VPN. I'll be shortly visiting our States Sites with a view to installing SFO on their laptops. All access to our UK CRM Server will be over HighSpeed VPN Access. So has anyone installed, configured, accessed, sync'd SFO over VPN? Yes I have configured the SFO totally over VPN. I have to say though that even on a high speed DSL line (2-3mbit) it was not quick. Microsoft always recommends doing the initial install and go-offline of the sfo client while on a corporate network. There a...

Showing Grand Totals in Pivot Charts
I have created a pivot table which contains a Grand Total column. This grand total column displays the sum of the counts for all the columns correctly. This number does not seem to be available to me when I generate a pivot chart. How can I make the grand total from the pivot table display in the pivot chart? Hi Nikki - Unfortunately pivot charts aren't as flexible as regular charts. But you can make a regular chart from pivot table data. Select a blank cell that isn't near the pivot table. In step 2, click on the Series tab, then one by one add the series and the data range ...

Cannot change criteria on copied chart without changing original c
I have a chart that I created from a pivot table. Instead of creating 40 plus charts individually, I tried to copy the original chart and change the location for each chart. When I change the facility location for one chart it changes all others. How can I get around this? Steve You'll need to make independent pivot tables for each chart. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services 774-275-0064 208-485-0691 fax jon@peltiertech.com http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ "Steve" <Steve@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07FF39D...

Selecting a cell without cell referance
Hello. Im trying to find a way to select a cell without the cell ref. Fo example i have created a macro that searches for a particular word When it find that word i want it to move across and clear the content of the 5 cells next to it. When i try to record this it find th correct cell but then when i movre accross it inserts cell refs. Thank you -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Use the Offset function. Example fro VBA help: ActiveCell.Offset(rowOffset:=3, columnOffset:=3).Activate Best wishes -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address...

Sorting without moving column labels
How do I sort on a specific column without having the column labels which are in the first row of each column sorted into the list? Thanks for any help. Ted on the data sort form, specify that there is a header row. -doodle This did allow me to sort, but every sort I must go back and place the dot in front of "header_row". How do I get it to stay there? I know it can be set that way, because I opened some other Excel files I had previously created, and the dot was in front of "head_row" without my doing anything. Thanks for your help. "doodle" wrote: ...