Getting Excel Data from One Sheet to Another....

Hey Guys,

I have the following Excel problem at work and I am not sure how to
solve it.  Here is the low down:

Excel Sheet #1 Data (First line is the header - [Person and Job])
Person 		Job
---------------------------------------
Fred		?
Fred		?
Sam		?
Kevin		?
Kevin		?
Julie		?

Excel Sheet #2 Data (First line is the Header - [Person and Job])
Person 		Job
---------------------------------------
Fred		Mop Boy
Julie		Hostess
Sam		Burger Man
Kevin		Manager

Now here is the situation that I have.  Based on the how the "Person"
Column corresponds to the "Job" Column in Excel Sheet #2, I want to
populate the "Job" column in Excel Sheet #1.  I am unsure about how to
go about this automatically.  I have a large amount of data that I
need to do this for and it would be a lot of work to do this manually
by hand.  Can anyone help me out?

After I am done populating the "Job" Column in Excel Sheet #1 it
should look like this:

Excel Sheet #1 Data (First line is the header - [Person and Job])
Person 		Job
---------------------------------------
Fred		Mop Boy
Fred		Mop Boy
Sam		Burger Man
Kevin		Manager
Kevin		Manager
Julie		Hostess

Thanks,
Robin

On sheet 1, cell B2, use this formula

=VLOOKUP(A2,Sheet2!$a$2:$b$50,2,false)

"Robin" wrote:

> Hey Guys,
>
> I have the following Excel problem at work and I am not sure how to
> solve it.  Here is the low down:
>
> Excel Sheet #1 Data (First line is the header - [Person and Job])
> Person 		Job
> ---------------------------------------
> Fred		?
> Fred		?
> Sam		?
> Kevin		?
> Kevin		?
> Julie		?
>
> Excel Sheet #2 Data (First line is the Header - [Person and Job])
> Person 		Job
> ---------------------------------------
> Fred		Mop Boy
> Julie		Hostess
> Sam		Burger Man
> Kevin		Manager
>
> Now here is the situation that I have.  Based on the how the "Person"
> Column corresponds to the "Job" Column in Excel Sheet #2, I want to
> populate the "Job" column in Excel Sheet #1.  I am unsure about how to
> go about this automatically.  I have a large amount of data that I
> need to do this for and it would be a lot of work to do this manually
> by hand.  Can anyone help me out?
>
> After I am done populating the "Job" Column in Excel Sheet #1 it
> should look like this:
>
> Excel Sheet #1 Data (First line is the header - [Person and Job])
> Person 		Job
> ---------------------------------------
> Fred		Mop Boy
> Fred		Mop Boy
> Sam		Burger Man
> Kevin		Manager
> Kevin		Manager
> Julie		Hostess
>
> Thanks,
> Robin

0
DukeCarey (494)
4/21/2005 12:03:02 PM
Check the Vlookup() function in Help;
That should do ya,
HTH

"Robin" <robins.ebox@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hey Guys,
>
> I have the following Excel problem at work and I am not sure how to
> solve it.  Here is the low down:
>
> Excel Sheet #1 Data (First line is the header - [Person and Job])
> Person Job
> ---------------------------------------
> Fred ?
> Fred ?
> Sam ?
> Kevin ?
> Kevin ?
> Julie ?
>
> Excel Sheet #2 Data (First line is the Header - [Person and Job])
> Person Job
> ---------------------------------------
> Fred Mop Boy
> Julie Hostess
> Sam Burger Man
> Kevin Manager
>
> Now here is the situation that I have.  Based on the how the "Person"
> Column corresponds to the "Job" Column in Excel Sheet #2, I want to
> populate the "Job" column in Excel Sheet #1.  I am unsure about how to
> go about this automatically.  I have a large amount of data that I
> need to do this for and it would be a lot of work to do this manually
> by hand.  Can anyone help me out?
>
> After I am done populating the "Job" Column in Excel Sheet #1 it
> should look like this:
>
> Excel Sheet #1 Data (First line is the header - [Person and Job])
> Person Job
> ---------------------------------------
> Fred Mop Boy
> Fred Mop Boy
> Sam Burger Man
> Kevin Manager
> Kevin Manager
> Julie Hostess
>
> Thanks,
> Robin

0
jmay (696)

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

MS Money 95 data files

Excel not Access

Excel 2007

data input in text box

How do I use traffic lights in excel

"Save" preferences getting lost
List members: I work on long documents and want to save my work frequently. Every time I set the "Save" preference to a brief interval like five or ten minutes, the preferences seemingly resets itself to a default of thirty minutes. I'm using Word 2008 for the Mac on an Intel running 10.6.2. Thanks in advance for any thoughts. - Mark Pavlick Hi Mark: That indicates that your user ID does not have permission to write to the preference file that Word is using, or that something is replacing the preference file. With the help of your System...

Sorting Data #5

help with simple maths in excel

Opening Excel Workbooks

Excel DNS query

outputting values to a range from one formula
I wish to generate a table automatically by means of a single formula that applies an iteration on a starting given value with a given step, and the computed values are posted/entered automtically into cells from a given cell onwards, say below it, until the computed value reaches a certain given limt. This is somehow the inverse of INDIRECT or of OFFSET. These can pull values from a variable addresses of cells. What I need is to push values into a variable addresses of cells. Can anyone help me on that?? Thanks. :confused -- Shafe ---------------------------------------------------------...