Get row values into column

I have a row (A:BI) with text or numbers in each cell.  However, there are
some cells that are blank.  B,D,F,H,J,... are the number cells (unless they
are blank) and A,C,E,G,I,K,... are the text cells (unless they are blank).

I would like to have all the cells that have text in them to be entered into
cell A5 and down.  Same thing with the number cells except in cell B5 down.

Example:
        A       B         C         D          E          F
1     PHI     2.3                             OTT      3.6

I would like the following:
A5 = PHI     B5 = 2.3
A6= OTT    B6 = 3.6

Anyone know how to do this?  Thanks

0
Jambruins (119)

One play, using non-array formulas

Using 2 empty rows, say rows 2 & 3
Put in A2: =IF(A1="","",IF(ISTEXT(A1),COLUMN(),""))
Put in A3: =IF(A1="","",IF(ISNUMBER(A1),COLUMN(),""))
Select A2:A3, copy across as many cols as required,
say to IV3 (the max extent)

Then

Put in A5:
=IF(ISERROR(SMALL($2:$2,ROW(A1))),"",
INDEX($1:$1,MATCH(SMALL($2:$2,ROW(A1)),$2:$2,0)))

Put in B5:
=IF(ISERROR(SMALL($3:$3,ROW(A1))),"",
INDEX($1:$1,MATCH(SMALL($3:$3,ROW(A1)),$3:$3,0)))

Select A5:B5, and copy down 256 rows to B260

A5:B260 will return the desired results,
all neatly bunched at the top
--
Rgds
Max
"Jambruins" <Jambruins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have a row (A:BI) with text or numbers in each cell.  However, there are
> some cells that are blank.  B,D,F,H,J,... are the number cells (unless
they
> are blank) and A,C,E,G,I,K,... are the text cells (unless they are blank).
>
> I would like to have all the cells that have text in them to be entered
into
> cell A5 and down.  Same thing with the number cells except in cell B5
down.

> Example:
>         A       B         C         D          E          F
> 1     PHI     2.3                             OTT      3.6
>
> I would like the following:
> A5 = PHI     B5 = 2.3
> A6= OTT    B6 = 3.6
>
> Anyone know how to do this?  Thanks

0
demechanik (4694)
11/17/2005 2:38:25 AM
thanks a lot Max, it works perfectly.

"Max" wrote:

> One play, using non-array formulas
>
> Using 2 empty rows, say rows 2 & 3
> Put in A2: =IF(A1="","",IF(ISTEXT(A1),COLUMN(),""))
> Put in A3: =IF(A1="","",IF(ISNUMBER(A1),COLUMN(),""))
> Select A2:A3, copy across as many cols as required,
> say to IV3 (the max extent)
>
> Then
>
> Put in A5:
> =IF(ISERROR(SMALL($2:$2,ROW(A1))),"",
> INDEX($1:$1,MATCH(SMALL($2:$2,ROW(A1)),$2:$2,0)))
>
> Put in B5:
> =IF(ISERROR(SMALL($3:$3,ROW(A1))),"",
> INDEX($1:$1,MATCH(SMALL($3:$3,ROW(A1)),$3:$3,0)))
>
> Select A5:B5, and copy down 256 rows to B260
>
> A5:B260 will return the desired results,
> all neatly bunched at the top
> --
> Rgds
> Max
> xl 97
> ---
> Singapore, GMT+8
> xdemechanik
> http://savefile.com/projects/236895
> --
> "Jambruins" <Jambruins@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I have a row (A:BI) with text or numbers in each cell.  However, there are
> > some cells that are blank.  B,D,F,H,J,... are the number cells (unless
> they
> > are blank) and A,C,E,G,I,K,... are the text cells (unless they are blank).
> >
> > I would like to have all the cells that have text in them to be entered
> into
> > cell A5 and down.  Same thing with the number cells except in cell B5
> down.
> >
> > Example:
> >         A       B         C         D          E          F
> > 1     PHI     2.3                             OTT      3.6
> >
> > I would like the following:
> > A5 = PHI     B5 = 2.3
> > A6= OTT    B6 = 3.6
> >
> > Anyone know how to do this?  Thanks

0
Jambruins (119)
11/17/2005 3:34:09 PM
You're welcome !
Thanks for the feedback
--
Rgds
Max
> thanks a lot Max, it works perfectly.

0
demechanik (4694)

update column

Summing Alternate Rows
We have spreadsheets with many rows and need to sum alternate rows. Is there a way to do this without entering a formula using the number of each row? -- KarenQ ------------------------------------------------------------------------ KarenQ's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=19608 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=395115 Try this: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18),2)=1),$A$1:$A$18) That formula sums odd-row values in the range A1:A18. To sum even-row values the formula is: =SUMPRODUCT(--(MOD(ROW($A$1:$A$18...

visual basic

Global Column Row Preview Font Size

IsOutLookClient() returns wrong value

Getting the BCC field by default.

Getting rid of selection

Workplace Queues

Value is BLANK

Get info from Fidelity
I use money's portfolio manager to retrieve info from my Fidelity accounts. However, it only retrieve stock and bond informations. It did not retrieve the money market fund information. How can I make it download money market fund info? In microsoft.public.money, Peter Tso wrote: >I use money's portfolio manager to retrieve info from my >Fidelity accounts. However, it only retrieve stock and >bond informations. It did not retrieve the money market >fund information. How can I make it download money market >fund info? Fidelity does things a differently th...

Get Xml from web .
This is a link to an address where I would like to access xml. http://setiathome2.ssl.berkeley.edu/fcgi-bin/fcgi?cmd=user_xml&email=XXXX The XXXX is the email address of a user. All I want to do is access the xml and view it in a datagrid. I have read several tuturials and articles and have not been able to find something that would explain how to do this. Does anyone know of a sample code or something close I could use as a reference. I am using visualstudio.net. and visual basic. THX Take a look at using the following classes on your app: HttpWebRequest HttpWebResponse DataSe...

How to place a stable title row?
Hi there! For a scientific analyse I need to create an Excel table with more than 1.000 rows content. Now, how can I create a title row that doesn't scroll with the rest of the content, so one that is always visible at the top, while you scroll up and down the rest of the content. I hope that's possible like this! Otherwise, it will be pretty difficult to enter the data into the correct (of about 15) column. Thanks for your help in advance! One way: Assuming headers are in row1, Select A2. Click Window > Freeze pane This freezes the 1st row, so it always remains in view w...

y value vs x
In an xy scatter plot one can choose the type of line connecting the data points (smooth, straight, etc.). Once this is done, Is there a simple way of determining the y value of graph for a specific x value without doing successive approximations with 0 shifts. I'd rather not purchase a graphing program just for this simple task. You could find an equation that fits the data (see trendline) best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "ralph" <ralph@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:284B39DE-20C6-40CB-AB60-39B...

Column searching problem
I have a worksheet called "net" containing the following: NETWORK AVG MIN MAX STD SAMPLES ABC 17.17 16.26 17.71 0.4469 19 CBS 12.99 11.69 14.56 0.6524 30 NBC 15.39 14.08 16.70 0.7323 38 NBC* 15.12 14.08 15.99 0.4910 31 Fox 10.63 9.07 12.09 0.9374 8 HBO 10.94 9.07 13.22 1.2507 19 Showtime 11.52 6.84 13.23 1.9017 11 HDNet 18.14 14.22 18.85 1.1619 14 HDNet* 18.45 18.13 18.85 0.2847 13 HDNet-Movies 1...