Functions & Tab Names

My question is simple.

Does anyone out here know of a function that returns the name of a specific
TAB in a workbook?

I only know of a trick formula that will return the value of the sheet the
formula is entered into:

=MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,256)

What did you have in mind? How would you envision this function working?
What are your requirements?

--
"Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
(www.MadRocketScientist.com)

Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.

"HpyTrvlr69" wrote:

> My question is simple.
>
> Does anyone out here know of a function that returns the name of a specific
> TAB in a workbook?
Thank you for your reply RocketSci. I think that will work for what I am doing.

p.s. Im not a Rocket Scientist.....no ..really.

"JBeaucaire" wrote:

> I only know of a trick formula that will return the value of the sheet the
> formula is entered into:
>
> =MID(CELL("filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("filename",A1))+1,256)
>
> What did you have in mind? How would you envision this function working?
> What are your requirements?
>
> --
> "Actually, I *am* a rocket scientist." -- JB
> (www.MadRocketScientist.com)
>
> Your feedback is appreciated, click YES if this post helped you.
>

> "HpyTrvlr69" wrote:
>
> > My question is simple.
> >
> > Does anyone out here know of a function that returns the name of a specific
> > TAB in a workbook?
=MID(CELL("Filename",A1),FIND("]",CELL("Filename",A1))+1,255)

Entered in a cell exactly as above will return the name of the sheet.

Note:  workbook must have been saved at least once.

Couple more using VBA

Sub getname()
  MsgBox ThisWorkbook.ActiveSheet.Name
End Sub

Sub get_Sheetname()
    Dim num As Long
    num = InputBox("Type a number")
    MsgBox "Sheet" & num & "'s name is " & Sheets(num).Name
End Sub

Gord Dibben  MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 15:09:02 -0800, HpyTrvlr69
<HpyTrvlr69@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>My question is simple.
>
>Does anyone out here know of a function that returns the name of a specific
>TAB in a workbook?

0
Gord

Naming Ranges #4
Hi, When I name a Range on Sheet1, then make a Copy of Sheet1 to say Sheet2, then access the Define Names dialogbox, I can see the named Range listed twice. One is noted as belonging specifically to Sheet2 and the other appears without a sheet reference. When assiging a name to a Range, can I specify that it belongs to a certain sheet? Also, how would I change this code to assign the sheet name aswell? ActiveWorkbook.Names.Add Name:="myRange", RefersToR1C1:="=Sheet1!R1C1:R10C1" I am trying to assign a the name 'Column_Header_Range' to each sheet in my work...

suggest names (outlook 2002)
in the autocomplete function, is there a way to access the database? I've got old addresses in there that I used once a year ago causing a drop-down list when I've only got one matching entry in my address book... so what I'd like to do is either clear it out completely or at least delete the obsolete entries, I've looked in the registry and it isn't there... any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks! --John Remove individual addresses from the autocompletion cache by highlighting the entry when presented in the suggested names list (use your arrow key to migrate to...

Corporate Name Change
How does one change the name of a stock (and symbol) when a company (such as AOL) decides to do so Wade: Select AOL from your portfolio, right click and choose "see details" You can rename it and change the symbol there. Kevin "Wade" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:023701c395d4$c6129da0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > How does one change the name of a stock (and symbol) when > a company (such as AOL) decides to do so Thanks ... I get an error stating the ticker is already in use. How can I get around this (is there a global ticker li...

What's the function of folder subscription in MS Outlook 2003
Hi, I would like my MS Outlook to show all imap folders in my account, but to run routine updating only on my inbox folder. I would like each of my folders to be updated only when I choose a folder. I checked my folder list and identified a distinction between "all" folders and "subscribed folders". For some reason, all my folders were already subscribed. I've unsubscribed from my folders, but the complete list keeps showing up. Is there anything wrong with my folder list routine, or is my logic erronous? Please suggest a solution? Ran ...

Tab Control #7
Hi, I'm using a basic tab control, how to place a bitmap image onto it ? Can a bitmap image be inserted only on the tab strips. (what i mean by tab strips is the part of tab, which holds name for that tab). Also, how to get the 3D effect for the tab ? (Like XP tabs) Hi You can bitblt for each tab clicks. I mean when you change the tab just repaint the dialog with new bitmap. Best regards, Amal Quote raj: Can a bitmap image be inserted only on the tab strips. (what i mean by tab strips is the part of tab, which holds name for that tab). ------------------------------------- Y...

get network login name
I have the following code to get the network login name: Private Declare Function apiGetUserName Lib "advapi32.dll" Alias _ "GetUserNameA" (ByVal lpBuffer As String, nSize As Long) As Long Function fOSUserName() As String ' Returns the network login name Dim lngLen As Long, lngX As Long Dim strUserName As String strUserName = String$(254, 0) lngLen = 255 lngX = apiGetUserName(strUserName, lngLen) If lngX <> 0 Then fOSUserName = Left$(strUserName, lngLen - 1) Else fOSUserName = vbNullString End If E...

named ranges in other workbooks
i have a range of cells whose values are validated from a list determined by a name the name is determined by a formula which references a range of cells in a different workbook (i'm on a office network...) the problem is: if the other workbook is open (on my desktop?) the name is o.k. and the validation is fine... but: if the other workbook is not open, the name results in an error i didn't think that this is the way it's suppose to work... AURGHH Mark, Do you use a full reference such as ='C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\Book1.xls'!profit Bernar...

on tab out
hi, got a rather easy one, but i am not able to figure out meself. i am using 2 text boxes and a command button (control, not form) on sheet. i would like tab out to activate / focus on the next box and then th command button, as and when data entry is perfomed and tab button i hit. any ideas? thanks, mac -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 01:23:46 -0600, icestationzbra <<icestationzbra.10iyxk@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote: >got a rather easy one, but i am not able to figure out meself. > >i am using 2 text boxes and a command b...

how do I find a list of databases with correpsponding company name
Hello, I need to know how in GP to pull up a list of our companies with their corresponding SQL database names. I've done this a long time ago and remember it being easy but cannot remember where to do this. SELECT INTERID, CMPNYNAM FROM DYNAMICS..SY01500 "Tim Quiggle" <Tim Quiggle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D0ECF5C5-74F9-494E-8C2E-B37EE12C8D0C@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I need to know how in GP to pull up a list of our companies with their > corresponding SQL database names. I've done this a long time ago and > rem...

Tab Index
Hello, I'm faced with a weird problem that I have never seen before and was hoping someone could enlighten me as to the fix. I am trying to set the Tab Index in a form (access 2000). The form/page contains 15 controls. I am simply trying set them sequentially. 0.1.2.3.4... not a complicated thing (normally). However, I can't get the values to stick. I will enter a value move on and come back and it has been changed? I will enter a value goto another property and the value changes in front of me? Anyone have any ideas what the heck is going on? Thank you, Daniel P If yo...

is there any way to STACK the page tabs?
I have a worksheet with lots of sheets (pages?) each one of which naturally has its own tab. Is there any way these tabs can be "Stacked" so to be all visible at the bottom of the page, rather than have to scroll sideways in order to see the tabs? TIA Excel 2002 This is not possible. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "Mighty Magpie" <mighty.magpie@home> wrote in message news:LAPVb.2214$vo1.1147@newsfep4-winn.server.ntli.net... > I have a worksheet with lots of sheets (pages?) each one of whic...

How to control what tabs are displayed in Active Directory Users and Computers
I do not see the value to allow the delegate to change the City, State, Country, Office. What am I doing wrong. (see info below) Also is there a way to limit the view of what is shown in Active Directory users and computers, so the Delegate only sees the General, Address, Telephone and Organization tabs? I know the step below lock them out of the other tabs, but there would be less confusion..even if it is registry hack on that local pc. Here are the steps I have done so far: Step 1. Create a Security Group Called 'XYZ' (call it what ever you want Step 2. Open Active Directory User...

MATCH function; comparing letter grades in columns
I am currently comparing the contents on two cells in columns H & I (for example, cells H10 and I10). The contents are letter grades (i.e., A, A-, B+, B, etc., through E). I have my function tell me if there is any difference between the two columns and report the result (i.e., =93no change,=94 rating decrease,=94 or =93rating increase=94) in th= e adjoining column, J10. I use the MATCH function, and since it can=92t distinguish between the letter grades, I have placed the letter grades in cells M2 through M13. My function is as follows: =3DIF(MATCH(H10,M$2:M$13,0)=3DMATCH(I10,M$2:M$1...

Outlook does not recognize one or more names
When trying to send mail with outlook this is what my response is, "oultlook does not recognize one or more names. I can send mail when using my verizon mail program but not with outlook. Any ideas? have you verified that both you imcomming and outgoing mail servers are set correctly? I believe that verizon has several outgoing servers. You may want to contact their technical support to get the correct configuration for your account. You also did not note if you are using a router or firewall program on your computer. This can also create additional issues with your configurat...

Entering a company name on the tab
Hi I am trying to create a tab that when I open Excel and click File New I will be able to see / General / Spreadsheet Solutions / Ashfield / I am using Excel 2000 - I know I did this before on 97 but can't remember how. I find it useful for customers who would like to store their own templates in their own area. Thanks a million for any help in advance Ann Ann What do you consider to be the "Tab"? A worksheet Tab name or the Caption you see in the Title Bar? For the former, just create a workbook with that sheet name and save as a Template. For the latter, you...

Names of workbooks
One thing that drives me crazy is that I want to work on files at home, but when I bring them from the office to home and work on them, when I get back to the office, the full path names of the sheets I've worked on are saved. For example, if I have a workbook Houston.xls, and I refer to cells in the another file called Scorecard.xls, all references are to the full paths, and I have to spend time deleting all the full pathnames that were valid at home to the full path at work (on a server naturally, so the path names are really long. This is in Excel '97 (ancient I know, but the co...

Re: Suggest Name Now Not Working
"Karl Burrows" <kfb1@spambellsouth.net> wrote in message news:... > My bad, it's the automatic name checking I use, not the suggest name. I get > confused between the two. Name checking is the one you get the red or green > underline squiggle to right-click and complete the email address. > > It's been a long week! > > PS Just got your Outlook Programming book. > > "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]" <suemvp@outlookcode.com> wrote in message > news:OIBsc8XgEHA.3864@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > > Did you check your setting in T...

Can I use solver functions in a protected (locked) worksheet?
I am using the solver function to optimize a blend of products. I want to lock (protect) some areas of the worksheet, but when doing so the solver function will not work and the following translated message arrives: The active document is not a worksheet, is protected or shared. Hope someone can help me. Thank you. Niels ...

get cell of function
Hi Can I somehow determine, in which column (A,B,C,...) a selfmade function is called? Or: Can I tell the function, placed f.e. in cell C1, to loop through the column left (in this example B) of it? thanks lot for help materphilch Dim rng as Range set rng = Application.Caller to see the value: MsgBox(rng.address) Gary's Student "masterphilch" wrote: > Hi > > Can I somehow determine, in which column (A,B,C,...) a selfmade function > is called? > Or: Can I tell the function, placed f.e. in cell C1, to loop through the > column left (in this example ...

Named Ranges
I have a file with over 100 named ranges. I would like to expand the range of the name on all of these names. Is there a way to use the replace command or is manually the only way to do this? [This followup was posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting with an email copy to keith. Please use the newsgroup for further discussion.] If the names refer to hardcoded ranges, i.e., Name1 =Sheet1!$A$2:$A$5 then you will have to either fix them by hand or write a VBA program that will make the change(s) you need. Alternatively, you use named formulas that adjust as needed. Suppose you have ...

Get Report Name
I have a report selection form that allows the user to select multiple reports to preview. They have the ability to check a box that automatically sends each report to a separate pdf with a predefined name and path, using the CreateReportToPDF code by Stephen Lebans. What I want to do now is allow the user to preview multiple reports but selectively send reports to pdf. I have a custom reports tool bar, I’ve added a button but can’t figure out how to determine the name of the report the user is viewing. Thanks for your help, Jim Not sure but, I imagine you could loop through the R...

One of the System Attendant's task is blocked. Function: CMonitoringTask::Work
Hi All, Any help on this is very much appreciated!! Right, here goes! I have two exchange servers which are both running on Win 2k3 SP1. Exchange is 2003 SP1. One of my exchange servers comes to a halt and the only way to get it back up and running is by hard resetting the server! When this has been rebooted the server works fine and reports no errors in the logs after the reboot. However, I am getting the following event logs showing errors prior to reboot: Event Type: Error Event Source: MSExchangeSA Event Category: General Event ID: 1031 Date: 16/10/2006 Time: 1:35:46 AM User: N/A Com...

Variable Functions
I have a spreadsheet that contains a column of numbers. Sometimes I want to know the max of the numbers in the column, sometimes the min, sometimes the average, etc. Is there a way for me to type the word MAX or MIN or AVERAGE or . . . into a cell and have the appropriate value appear right below the word I typed? That would mean that the function would have to be set by the words I type in the cell above where the function is located. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks. Why not just assign 6 cells to provide this info for you. Enter MAX, MIN, and AVG in 3 cells, and under ea...

Duplicate Computer name
I am getting an Event log error, indicating that I have a duplicate computer name on the LAN THE COMPUTER NAMES ARE SIMPLE - LIKE NCS1234. MOST DO NOT HAVE A DESCRIPTION - WISH I HAD! Short of going around to each computer, how can I search for it on the lan? North Coast Sea Foods wrote: > I am getting an Event log error, indicating that I have a duplicate > computer name on the LAN > > > THE COMPUTER NAMES ARE SIMPLE - LIKE NCS1234. > > MOST DO NOT HAVE A DESCRIPTION - WISH I HAD! > > > Short of going around to each computer, how ...

Help requested in formulating Functions and script to create a mat
Visual Studio.net 2003, SQL Server Report Designer, SQL Query Analyser. I have a table of milestones with data such as project, miletone name, baseline date, planned date and actual date. My task is to produce a chart that has months in the columns and for each month a set of blocks of data, made by concatenating fileds form the table, for milestones due in that month. I can extract the 'blocks' of data easily enough but when I put them in columns each successive month starts on a new line below those of the previous month. I need it so that the first milestone of each ...