Formula to make Negative Values Positive & Positive Values Negative?

I would like to know if there is any way to have a formula/function that
takes a value from another cell (I know how to do that part) and then
makes the number negative if the original is positive - or else makes
the number positive if the original is negative.  Any ideas?

--
mustard
mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20017

Just multiply it by -1

example:

=-1*A1

"mustard" wrote:

> I would like to know if there is any way to have a formula/function that
> takes a value from another cell (I know how to do that part) and then
> makes the number negative if the original is positive - or else makes
> the number positive if the original is negative.  Any ideas?
>

> --
> mustard
> mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20017
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470855

0
Sloth (218)
9/26/2005 7:16:07 PM
You can:
- put '-1' in an empty cell and copy this cell
- select your data
- goto 'Edit - Paste Special' and choose 'Multiply'

or

create a helper column and use this formula:

=-A1 (aussmuing your numnber is in A1) and drag down the formula.

"mustard" wrote:

> I would like to know if there is any way to have a formula/function that
> takes a value from another cell (I know how to do that part) and then
> makes the number negative if the original is positive - or else makes
> the number positive if the original is negative.  Any ideas?
>

> --
> mustard
> mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20017
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470855

That worked great.  Thank you.

--
mustard
mustard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=20017
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=470855

mustard

By formula in A1 enter  =b1*-1

where b1 is negative or positive.

Without a formula enter -1 in any empty cell then copy and select cells to
change then Paste Special>Multiply>Ok>Esc on all selected cells.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 13:52:43 -0500, mustard
<mustard.1vzcqc_1127761505.9649@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

>I would like to know if there is any way to have a formula/function that
>takes a value from another cell (I know how to do that part) and then
>makes the number negative if the original is positive - or else makes
>the number positive if the original is negative.  Any ideas?

0
Gord

Auto change formula in cells when source is changed
Good day experts; If specific cells have the same formula for example: C1 = Product( A1;B1) C16 = Product(A16;B16) C17= Product(A17;B17) And so on ... What formula should i write in C16, C17, ... so that: when the formula in the source cell, C1, is changed the formulas in C16, C17, ... would automatically change accordingly. I tried "=C1" it does not work Thanks in advance Carlo carlo wrote: > Good day experts; > > If specific cells have the same formula for example: > C1 = Product( A1;B1) > C16 = Product(A16;B16) > C17= Product(A17;B17) > And so on ... ...

Sumif returning incorrect value

How to make autostart programs in USB stick memory
Hi. Some said, when USB memory stick putting on PC, it can start autostart programs, like Autorun.inf of CD-R. Does any know how to do it? Thanks, M.M. M.Miura wrote: > Some said, when USB memory stick putting on PC, it can start > autostart programs, like Autorun.inf of CD-R. Does any know > how to do it? Same way. Most systems these days have autorun disabled. ;-) (for good reason.) -- Shenan Stanley MS-MVP -- How To Ask Questions The Smart Way http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html M.Miura wrote: > Hi. > > Some ...

How to bold daily max values
I have one year of hourly data in one column and the date in another column. I'd like to write some excel functions to bold the daily max values. Any help is greatly appreciated! Ginger Conditional formatting would do this, but I don't understand the data. Can you post some sample data? -- HTH Bob Phillips "Ginger" <Ginger@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:34230977-525A-476E-A29F-AA27144E1E10@microsoft.com... > I have one year of hourly data in one column and the date in another column. > I'd like to write some excel functions to bold t...

why do i get #### in my formula cell?
I don't really know much about Excel, and my formula (it's just simple arithmetic formulas) returns with ##### displayed on the cell, with a tooltip showing the cell's correct value when I hover over it. airn, make the column wider and see if that helps -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2002 & 2003 "airn" <airn@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C6F4DD7C-3D7D-475C-894D-0F7745735666@microso...

how i can make the numbers
hi i am fatih fistly sorry my english is not good my trouble is haw can i will write the number of the contribution for example 1.000.000.000 =yaziyla(b42) (one milyar) and tahan my office version is turkish version thank you so your company will interesting my problem Fatih, If I understand you correctly, you want a formula to translate numbers to words (in Turkish). Laurent Longre has a language version of an function which offers this capability. It is at http://longre.free.fr/english/ I don't know if it supports Turkish, but if not, send me the Turkish words for all...

Formula #16
I need to have a formula that can add a row of cells with a variable number of colmns. Columns will be added and deleted everyday, so the formula needs to have a variable range. I hope this is clear. Thanks, Bernie ...

Excel formula copied down
Is there a way to copy down a column this formula =F3*A2 and have the A2 stay the same all the way down? The F3 would change on each row, F4, F5 etc. but the A2 would stay 'constant'. Thanks in advance for any help! =F3*A$2 -- Ian -- "Pat" <Pat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:73505B29-538A-48C7-8F2F-F6126EF2126B@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to copy down a column this formula =F3*A2 and have the A2 > stay > the same all the way down? The F3 would change on each row, F4, F5 etc. > but > the A2 would stay 'constant'...

polynomial formula for a line graph...
Hi. I haven't looked at this feature in a couple of years. Excel can give you the formula for a charted function... what I mean is, given a few data points, it can create a best fit curve, and display the function that it used to do that... Would someone remind me where, please? Thanks. Hi, Right click the data series and pick Add Trendline. From the dialog you can choose the type of trend line and whether to display the formula. Cheers Andy mark wrote: > Hi. > > I haven't looked at this feature in a couple of years. > > Excel can give you the formula for ...

simple? pasting simple formula, error on copy
I have some store buying spreadsheets I made up. Very very basic, one of the columns has a total at the bottom or end as you may call it for total $ amount bought. that final number is in c33. c1, c2, c3 etc is a amount from each vendor. I want to have a column telling me the percentage being spent on each, simple enough so I make a column with the following formula =c33/c5. I get a number, change it to percentage and BAM I have exactly what I want. I pasted that formula and pasted it into all the other rows of that certain column, but I keep getting the #div/0 error, cause the new formulas...

Can you make a crossword puzzle by putting the words in?
I have to make a crossword puzzle for one of my classes, and was wondering if there is a program on my computer that will show me how to make the crossword puzzles. If you can help that would be great. Perhaps this MS link would be of interest: http://www.microsoft.com/education/Crossword.aspx "Design a Crossword Puzzle in Microsoft Excel" -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1° 22' N 103° 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "Kat" wrote: > I have to make a crossword puzzle for one of my classes, and was wondering if > there is ...

Help with creating a formula
Hello! I am trying to create a formula that will sum up certain criteria from one column as it relates to criteria in the same row in another column. For example, I want to sum up all the entries that begin with the letter "H" in column A as it relates to an entry of "2" from column B that is in the same row as the "H" entry from column A. COLUMN A COLUMN B H10 2 G01 2 H09 3 H15 2 H12 2 If there is such a formula...

Excel does not calculate my formulas
This is very strange...Excel does not calculate any formula. I can do a simple =A1+A2, and it just return a zero value. I made sure of the following: - Cell is set to General (tried it with different cell settings too) - Autocalc is on in settings (even a manual F9 calc doesn't work) -- Martin Verville We might need a few more clues: What is in A1? What is in A2? -- David Biddulph "Martin" <Martin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9A25385-5BE8-4D38-A7A7-15E523C69DD9@microsoft.com... > This is very strange...Excel does not calculat...

excel chart showing movable graph at what point we make a profit
in a business would like to make a chart based on accumulated Earnings & Profit/Loss for year to date, perhaps movable showing our break even point and by moving chart to a another earnings figure what profit we should make. For example put in earnings for YTD Profit/Loss YTD then I can move the earnings part of the chart to show what our profit would be for a given earnings figure. Alternatively If For example if we earn $200 for year so far and profit is $0 but any amount over that is 18% profit so I can move chart line to say $240 and it will say what profit I will make. Hope ...

need to allow negative quantitys on purchase orders
because our vendors list returns and exchanges on invoice i need the abillity to enter negative quantitys when recieving manually. any ideas? ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions/Community/NewsGroups/dgbrowser/en-us...

Statment of changes in financial position
i will be a demo of GP 10 on Weds for a customer who has a requirement for a statement of changes in financial position. Is there any reason that this would be a problem in FRx as long as i know what GL accounts make up each row? Their sales and receivables are going to be maintained in another systmer - with that system providing a journal entry either weekly or monthly. THanks! Andrea: How did this come out for you, also have you done a Schedule of Changes Report?? Pretty standard non-profit reports. "Andrea Smiley" wrote: > i will be a demo of GP 10 on Weds for a cus...

how do you make pictures your slide background
iam am trying to make a map of the hundred years war my actual background not tryng to make a picture slideshow in ppt. 2003, in the same way you can change the back ground fill or make a whole new slide design also how do you make i template in ppt. i kinda forgot This should get you started: Design efficiently with masters: http://office.microsoft.com/training/training.aspx?AssetID=RC011536491033 Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "ppthelp" <ppthelp@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Outlook keeps making itself Default
Hi, Everytime I start Outlook it takes over as default for email and addresses even though I have that option unchecked in outlook, and in IE I set OE Express as default, yet each time I launch outlook it takes over as Default, any ideas TIA Wayne ...

can I make cell "yes" equal 1, "no" equal 0
in another cell? =IF(AND(A1<>"yes",A1<>"no"),"",(A1="yes")*1+(A1="no")*0) -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "can I make cell yes equal 1, no equa" <can I make cell "yes" equal 1, "no" equa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8E222344-E390-4D39-B82D-39586CC55A64@microsoft.com... > Picky but I don't think that you need the " +(A1="no")*0 " Just =IF(AND(A1<>"yes",A1<>"no"),"&quo...

HOWTO Make CDialog's with ActiveX in a LIB.
HOWTO Make CDialog's with ActiveX in a LIB. Please help, I'm having a heck of a time trying to get a CDialog derrived class host a single ActiveX control (the CWebBrowser control), from a static LIB. When the OnInitDialog for the class call's CDialog::OnInitDialog it bombs inside the DoDataExchange for the DDX_Control of the control. Specifically at dlgdata.cpp line 43, with the following ASSERT: TRACE(traceAppMsg, 0, "Error: no data exchange control with ID 0x%04X.\n", nIDC); The reason why this ASSERT fails is because the CDialog's "m_pCtrlCont" i...

How do I make this formula?
I have an Excel worksheet to track my 401k performance. I have a row for Date, the Balance corresponding to each date, Contributions, a formula to calculate my Total Contributions, and a formula to calculate my Total Gain/Loss. My question is, how to I get my Gain/Loss formula to update corresponding to a new Date/Balance? Is there a formula function to make the formula ignore Column data in the previous Rows? Thanks! There will be, just add/subtract items from that row. Can you show us an example with data. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) &...

Find a value in cells
Hi, all, I have something like this : a 1 b 4 c 5 d 3 I'm doing a max function in the number column and it returns me '5' But, after that, I want to know the letter which corresponds to the max number How can I do that? Thanks Nic -- nicgendron ------------------------------------------------------------------------ nicgendron's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25151 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386417 Let's say that...

POS is making me angry!!!
This program has not seemes to work correctly since the day I bought it. The problem I am having recently is NOTHING will apply. For example: I want to make a buy X get Y discount to apply automatically during a transaction. I set up the discount apply all the items I want to it, and edit it in the item properties, but it won't apply during the transaction. I need 2 receipts to print automatically on a sales transaction. I change that in the receipt format in Manager, but POS still won't print 2 receipts. It's very irritating, I've restarted all the programs and even r...

Logical Filtering based on Value
I've been using this formula to sort some values and return results if( or( and( b9<>"", isnumber( find( Left(b9,1 ,"AWFUY") ) ), isnumber( find("SHORT",g9 ) ), sum( countif(c9,{"BOG","BLM","CMO"}) ) ) ) ) ,i9-0.01,j9 ) --I used ALT-ENTER between each formula so as to see thing clearly Column A values can be "B01" Column B values can be "BRN" Columns I & J are values, one being lowest the other being highest allowed. On another sheet I...

Copying values from place to place
Hello community: Is it possible say, to type a value in a textbox in one form (Form A), automatically copy that value, then open another form( Form B) and automatically paste that value into another textbox in Form B? Is this possible? Thank you for your help. -Gabriel M. If you open Form B from Form A you can use the OpenArgs of the OpenForm command line to pass a value to Form B. docmd.OpenForm "FormName",,,,,,Me.TextBoxName On the OnLoad event of the Form B you can use set the value in the text box If not IsNull(Me.OpenArgs) Then Me.TextBox = Me.OpenArgs End If -- ...