Formula text count #2

I Have a list in a column that has a lot of tank numbers on a ship
listed as the following:

1-1-2-V
1-1-3-V
1-1-2-F
1-1-2-F
1-1-2-J
1-1-2-F

In another column, I have a list to identify whether the tank has been
opened noted with a date if it has and blank if it hasn't. I'm trying
to count the amount of V tanks that have been opened, J tanks that have
been opened and so on. I need an if, ifcount, or vlookup formula that
can do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

0
darrelll (5)

Darrell,

You can probably use a Pivot Table.  Have it summarize the data in
column A and the column in which the date is entered.  Then you can
format it so that it hides the blanks and subtotals so all you see is
tank # (1-1-2-f. etc..) the date opened and the grand total.  Use the
Pivot Table wizard and it takes about just a few seconds.

Cheers,

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7571

if you want to count the number of cells with J's or V's in that range, you
could use:

=countif(a1:a4,"*J*")

1-1-2-v
1-j-j-j
j-j-j-j
j-j-j-j

would return 3 (three cells with at least a single J in them).

If your data could have multiple J's and you want to count all of them:

=SUM((LEN(A1:A4)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1:A4,"j","")))/LEN("j"))

This is an array formula.  Hit ctrl-shift-enter instead of enter.  If you do it
correctly, excel will wrap curly brackets {} around your formula.  (don't type
them yourself.)

Adjust the range to match--but you can't use the whole column.

Ps.  That formula returned 11 with my test data.

darrelll@earl-ind.com wrote:

> I Have a list in a column that has a lot of tank numbers on a ship
> listed as the following:
>
> 1-1-2-V
> 1-1-3-V
> 1-1-2-F
> 1-1-2-F
> 1-1-2-J
> 1-1-2-F
>
> In another column, I have a list to identify whether the tank has been
> opened noted with a date if it has and blank if it hasn't. I'm trying
> to count the amount of V tanks that have been opened, J tanks that have
> been opened and so on. I need an if, ifcount, or vlookup formula that
> can do this. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Problems with creating a newsletter

Meeting updates #2

Changing SQL Server for CRM 1.2

printing 2 charts on single page

Offline folder problems #2

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Receiving Transaction Entry #2

Extending formulas
Subject: Extending formulas Hi, For my application that uses Excel for calculations. I need to be able to extend the forula base of Excell with complex scientifc functions. Is there a way to add new functions to the Excel function base? Thanks Spx. MS has provided Visual Basic for Applications (VBA) to customize Excel with new functions, commands, forms, menus, etc. Tools|Macro|Visual Basic Editor From the VBA editor Insert Module Then write your functions in VBA. Details of writting functions in VBA is a very big topic, http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut01.htm may help y...

VCard issue #2

parameter for text

2 Domains, 1 Exchange Server

Creating a Macro to Delete Commas #2

Money 2004 Debt Planner #2

80070005 error #2

HQ Licensing question V.2
I have a client running HQ client at 8 stores + HQ server at the warehouse. They would like to be able to use transfers from the warehouse to the stores, so I would have to setup a new PC running Store Ops and a new database, however, in order for the transfers to take place, I need a HQ Client License correct? Do I also need a POS key? I appreciate any insights you may have. Thanks in advance Hi Phil yes - you'll need an HQ Client license so it can exchange with your headquarters - "export" the wh database as you would any store from HQ no - you won't need a PO...