Formula not calculating total

Hi

I'm doing a report in excel and when I try to use autosum to add up my columns, it doesn't add up the columns requested. Instead, it just types the formula in the cell destination.

Hope someone can help, otherwise I've got to get my calculator out!

Thanks

Debbie
0
anonymous (74722)

"Debsy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> I'm doing a report in excel and when I try to use autosum to add up my
columns, it doesn't add up the columns requested. Instead, it just types the
formula in the cell destination.

> Hope someone can help, otherwise I've got to get my calculator out!
>
> Thanks
>
> Debbie

Tools > Options > view tab, under Window options
Check that "Formulas" is NOT checked.

If that's OK, check that the cell(s) you are putting the autosum in are NOT
formatted as text.

0
Paul
12/19/2003 11:56:16 AM
Thanks Paul- I've tried all those things and it's still not working. None of the cells are formatted as text, have checked every one

Any more ideas?????
Thanks.
0
anonymous (74722)
12/19/2003 1:36:22 PM
> Thanks Paul- I've tried all those things and it's still not working. None
of the cells are formatted as text, have checked every one!

> Any more ideas?????
> Thanks

What happens if you type in a simple formula directly?
Try something such as
=SUM(A1:A5)
where that range has some numbers in it.

0
Paul
12/19/2003 1:47:14 PM
Exactly the same thing happens- it just comes up with the formula in the cell.
0
anonymous (74722)
12/19/2003 2:36:16 PM
Hi Debsy,

First format the cell as General, Then enter the formula. Formatting
afterwards has no effect.

--

Kind Regards,

Niek Otten

Microsoft MVP - Excel

> Exactly the same thing happens- it just comes up with the formula in the
cell.

0
nicolaus (2022)
12/19/2003 2:48:25 PM
Debsy,

another thing to try that has helped me off and on

first make sure all the cells with formulas are not text, then do
edit>replace, replace what put an equal sign =
in the replace with box also put an equal sign =, so replace an equal sign
with an equal sign. Click OK
Sometimes that will trigger a calculation of the formulas

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"Debsy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Exactly the same thing happens- it just comes up with the formula in the
cell.

0
terre08 (1112)
12/19/2003 2:48:28 PM
Debsy

If you delete your formula, then set you format to General, then retype your
formula, do you get the same result? I'm just wondering if the cell was
formatted to TEXT before you entered the formula, and changing it after the
event is too late.

Andy.

"Debsy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Exactly the same thing happens- it just comes up with the formula in the
cell.

0
andy1646 (82)
12/19/2003 2:52:06 PM
It is quite likely that the data in your spreadsheet comes from a
external data source i.e. either you or the person that sent you th
data queried a database.

To find out select a cell within the data and click on the arrow nex
to the Name box on the formula bar, and then click the external dat
range name.

Then Edit, Copy, Edit Paste Special Formulas and all will be fine

Cheers

Den Hewit

It could be that you have inserted a column. When this is done the
inserted column inherits the formatting from the column to its left. If
this column is formatted as text then delete the formulae in the
problem column, select the whole column and Edit Clear Format. The
column should now be formatted as general and everything should be OK.

---

Identifing total hours as a whole number
I have set up a little spreadsheet using "start time" and "end time". The resulting difference is expressed in hours and minutes. I would like to use this figure to calculate pay. It is not doing that because of the formating. Is there a way? since one hour in Excel - 1/24 do as follows =total_time*24*hourly_rate format as currency or else you'll get a weird time value -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Bob Morrison" <morrib@chartermi.net> wrote in message news:k5vni.12$b_7.11@newsfe12.lga... >I have set up a little spreadsheet using "...

Tricky formatting and Date Formula
I need to calculate the difference in ages for a school tracking program. The problem is in the fact that the ages are recorded as follows: 6.1 is a child 6 years and 1 month 6.2 is a child 6 years and 2 months etc 6.10 is a child 6 years and 10 months 6.11 is a child 6 years and 11 months The formatting cannot differentiate between 6.1 and 6.10. Is it possible to get around these problems so that I can a) record the ages so that they mean something in the spread sheet B) create a formula that will work out the age differences between a chronological age of, for example, 8.1 (8 years an...

Calculate Field In Query
I am trying to create a third calculated field that will add two values: Referral To Consult: Nz((DateDiff("d",[MO Referral],[C1S])),0) and Consult To Treat: Nz((DateDiff("d",[C1S],[MO Tx])),0) I do get values for the above two fields but when I attempt to add them using: Total Wait: [Referral To Consult]+[Consult To Treat] criteria <100 I get prompted to enter parameter values for [Referral to Consult] and [Consult To Treat]. Christine Unfortunately, you need to repeat the entire calculation for each item TotalWait: Nz((DateDiff("d",[MO Referral],[C1S]...

Req: Formula Array.....
Hi all, Have an XLS and trying to generate stats from it. On one Worksheet I would like to break up stats in the following manne (for example).. Code ------------------- Ongoing Closed July Client Praises ?? ?? Complaints ?? ?? Vendor Praises ?? ?? Complaints ?? ?? Partner Praises ?? ?? Complaints ?? ?? The data contained on another Worksheet is in the following format: Col#01 - Date (Format: `dd - mmm - yy`) Col#02 - T...

Formula Help 01-04-10
I am trying to do the following and can't figure out the formula. I have cells across a column that have one of the following numbers: 0,1,2,3,4. I want to get the number of cells that have a 1 or a 2. For example, lets say A3 is a 1, C3 is a 3, E3 is a 4 and G3 is 2. I want the forumala to give me 2 (1 in A3 and 2 in G3). I am sure it is fairly simple, but I can't figure it out. Thanks Try: =COUNTIF(A3:Z3,1)+COUNTIF(A3:Z3,2) -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200909 "Casey" wrote: > I am trying to do the following and can't figure out t...

Conditional Formatting Formula
I have a spreadsheet that I check for valid data. I have created an add-in workbook that has the valid data (named ranges) which is updated from an Access database query. On the spreadsheet I am checking for valid data, I created a named reference to the named ranges in the add-in workbook so I can use conditional formatting to flag invalid data with a red background. This works perfectly for account numbers, security numbers, and the like, but when it comes to text entries such as usernames, it flags it as red whether the data is valid or not. I use VBA code from the add-in workbook e...

hide formulas
Excel 2002 SP3 Win XP HE Hi, I have a spreadsheet that has quite a few formulas that I want to function BUT hide--so that when one clicks on the cells where the formula is, the formula itself does not show. How can I achieve that? You can select the whole sheet, do format>protection and deselect locked, then you select the cells with the formulas (F5, special>formulas enter), then repeat but select hidden. Then finally you protect the sheet under tools>protection. That way only the result of the formula is showing and you can still select and edit other cells -- Regards, ...

financial formula
I need some equation help... This is correct.... SP = Sell Price C = Cost GP = Gross Profit GPP = Gross Profit Percentage SP = 109 C = 77 GP = 32 GPP = 29% (SP - C) / SP = GPP (109 - 77) / 109 = 29% ....now, suppose you know the cost and GPP. How do I find SP? (x - 77) / x = 29% How do I get x= ????? My algebra days are long gone and never did like financials. thanks > (SP - C) / SP = GPP > How do I find SP? Hi. SP = C/(1 - GPP) -- HTH :>) Dana DeLouis Windows XP & Office 2007 "shank" <shank@tampabay.rr.com> wrote in message news:%23z7gTgubHHA.20...

Calculate Days Elapsed in Weekdays
I have a [ProposalDate] field and an [ApprovalDate] field. I need to find out how much time elaspsed between the two dates. If I enter: [approvaldate]-[proposaldate] it give me the number of days, but how to I restrict this to count only weekdays? thanks. What about holidays? Here is a function that returns the number of working days between two dates. The count includes both the beginning date and the end date. If you dont want to exclude holidays in the count, see comments in the code on what to take out. To exclude holidays from the count, create a holidays table with the date...

Strange Calculation Error in Excel
Hi. I have a table of numbers, and I do some simple Math based on this data. Eg: 4.1 4.1 3.97 4.03 4.15 4.15 4.1 4.1 For the formula "=A4-B4", the answer given is "-0.069999999999999400000000000000" It should be just -0.07. Then I checked the value for A4 & B4, the values are: 4.030000000000000000000000000000 4.100000000000000000000000000000 What's wrong with Excel? How can I correct this error? PS: If anyone wishes to see the original Excel file, please leave your email address here. Thanks! -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - ...

Combining Formulas #2
I have two columns that get data from two different formulas. The reason I have two columns is becasue I couldn't figure out how to combine the two formulas. I worked on it for a while, but I had to give up and divide it in half. I'll post the two formulas. Maybe someone can figure out an easy way to combine them. If you need more info, let me know. Thanks. =IF(C3="","",IF(B2="",IF(C3<=0,IF(D3<C3,B4,IF(B5="",IF(C3<=0,IF(D3<C3,B3,IF(B2="",IF(C3<=0,IF(D3>C3,B3,IF(B5="",IF(C3<=0,IF(D3>C3,B3))))))))...

Excel Formulas using "IF"
If I enter the word "bounced in one cell can I trigger a value ($500.00) to become a negative number (-$500.00)? Regrads, Corey Brock Maybe you could use a helper cell with a formula: =if(a1="bounced",-b1,b1) Corey Brock wrote: > > If I enter the word "bounced in one cell can I trigger a > value ($500.00) to become a negative number (-$500.00)? > > Regrads, > Corey Brock -- Dave Peterson See your other post! -- Regards, RD -------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the Group, ...

formula to move a scored number to a score sheet
i run a race team. we have 20 teams competeing. we select 7 riders each to compete in various age and skill levels. we sort the riders by age and skill level. as we score the races, i need a formula that will send the results back to the team score card. for example i have 20 score card, one for each team. each card has 3colums with 7 cells. after we sort the riders they are no longer grouped by teams. the formula would have to know to send the score of a rider from team (a) to the correct score card and if the first cell has a score in it, to place it in the next cell in the column a...

Formula wont calculate???
My excel will not do simple calculations anymore if they reference another sheet, like =sheet1b1 + sheet1c1. It will do a =b1+c1, if calc. is on same sheet. I think my options are messed up somehow, then again it could be anything. Its never done this before Any help would be GREATLY appreciated by my grade in accounting!!! ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Scott You need a ! in between the sheet name and the reference. Andy. "Scott" <...

Anyway to replace absolute file path in formula with relative or use Info(directory)?
Hi, I have a workbook that looks summarizes data that is in multiple (60) other workbooks, and want to know if there is someway to craft my look such that the folder structure doesn't manner --I want to be able to share this workbook with a teammate and not have the lookups fail, so long as the folder structure at the file level is the same. Here is the setup: Summary file C:\xxx\xxx\xxx\summary file.xls Data files C:\xxx\xxx\xxx\data files\folder1\data.xls C:\xxx\xxx\xxx\data files\folder2\data.xls .... C:\xxx\xxx\xxx\data files\folder60\data.xls I want to somehow craft my lookup -- r...

Calculating hours on a timeclock form
I am trying to calculate the number of hours worked utilizing the "TimeIn" and "TimeOut" fileds on a subform that will calculate the total number of hours per week. The expression that I am utilizing is: =HoursAndMinutes([TimeOut]-[TimeIn]) I have also created an HoursandMinutes which is: ublic Function HoursAndMinutes(interval As Variant) As String '*********************************************************************** ' Function HoursAndMinutes(interval As Variant) As String ' Returns time interval formatted as a hours:minutes string '***...

Help with Formula Please 02-19-10

Excel Do not calculate
Sometimes (not every time) Excel do not calculate different formulas when recalculating worksheets manually. Moreover it can calculate them in some sells and donot calculate in others. All formulas are correct, when you enter a cell and press "Enter" the needed result is given. WorkBook is configured to be recalculated manually. Thanks. Try forcing a complete recalc: This is from xl2002's help: Calculate a worksheet or workbook now Press F9 Calculates formulas that have changed since the last calculation, and formulas dependent on them, in all open workbooks. If a wo...

XL 2K7
Entered numeric values in columns A-C and rows 1-5. In column E, entered numeric values 1-5. In column F, entered formula to add values in columns A-C: =A1+B1+C1 then copied it down through row 5. Selected range E1:F5, clicked Sort, selected Column F from drop down, left Sort On set to Values, and selected Largest to Smallest in the Order drop down. Only column E got sorted! After a half dozen sanity checks, copied the values from column F, clicked in G1 and selected Paste Special - Values and clicked OK. Selected range E1:G5 and sorted on column G (Largest to Smallest) and the sort wo...

Grand totals for summed time don't show >24:00
I have a pivot table that sums time values. For the data items everything is correct, but the grans totalt don't show time values above 24 hours. I have the cell format [h]:mm, but it still doesn't work. What can be wrong? I'm using Excel 2003. // Johan ...

How to create a field in a table whose value will be calculated
I could use some help in creating a field in a table the value of which would be the continuing balance of simple arithmetic operations such as: T(n) = T(n-1) A(n) - S(n) where T=Total, A=value in a field to be added, S=value in a field to be subtracted, and n=record number Does this make sense? Slipperyrock, If I understand you correctly you want a calculated field in a table... that would be a no can do BUT you can do it in a query. Now, you can simulate a table view using a query and a form. -- Gina Whipp 2010 Microsoft MVP (Access) "I feel I have been den...

calculate land area
will excell calculate square footage of an odd shaped lot. (not a square) Yes. The simplest way to to divide the area into rectangle and triangles. -- Gary''s Student "Darrell" wrote: > will excell calculate square footage of an odd shaped lot. (not a square) ...

Creating formula for timeline
I am trying to find a formula in Excel that will help me manage the following report: I have 2 columns...the first gives a list of months...ex. Jan, Feb, March, etc. I want a formula that will automatically populate the second column with a month that is 3 months past the first column...ex. 1st column is Jan 2nd is April. 1st column is Feb 2nd is May... Is this possible. I don't want specific dates in the month...just the month itself. Lynne This should do the trick for you. 'Borrowed' from a post a month or so back Remember they are text so no date calculations can be...

MATCH and OFFSET with dynamic range
Hello, I would like to do the following with excel Formula. these are the information Sheet 2 A M 01/12/2001 24 01/06/2002 23 01/12/2002 25 01/06/2003 52 01/12/2003 53 there are already 2 range define in sheet 2 rngDate, rgnValues How to obtain something like this with Excel formula and not VBA Sheet1 Jun Dec tot 2003 52 53 105 2002 23 25 48 2001 24 24 I tried to use Match and Offset (but I have a problem with the offset) Any help will be really apreciate :D Ina I noticed that ...

Copy formula between workbooks
I have a number of workbooks which are identical in form. Each uses multiple sheets. If a make a formula change in one and then copy the formula to a different workbook the new formula references the original workbook and sheet. How can I turn off this "feature" so that the copied formula will not make any reference to the workbook, only the sheet? Thanks -----= Posted via Newsfeeds.Com, Uncensored Usenet News =----- http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 100,000 Newsgroups - 19 Different Servers! =----- Hi Ken, To enter the same formula i...