formula for check book

Writing a checkbook and need to take the balance in the worksheet and either
add or subtract a cell value from the balance depending on if it is a Debit
or credit whech will both be on the same line. Thanks in advance.
0
MikeBusch (23)

To explain better, in one cell I need a formula that will add or subtract,
depending which cell is filled in. Hope this helps.

"Mike Busch" wrote:

> Writing a checkbook and need to take the balance in the worksheet and either
> add or subtract a cell value from the balance depending on if it is a Debit
> or credit whech will both be on the same line. Thanks in advance.
0
MikeBusch (23)
8/18/2005 6:52:33 PM
=C2+a3-B3

where C2 is the previous balance, credits in A3, debits in B3

--

HTH

RP

"Mike Busch" <MikeBusch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> To explain better, in one cell I need a formula that will add or subtract,
> depending which cell is filled in. Hope this helps.
>
> "Mike Busch" wrote:
>
> > Writing a checkbook and need to take the balance in the worksheet and
either
> > add or subtract a cell value from the balance depending on if it is a
Debit
> > or credit whech will both be on the same line. Thanks in advance.

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)
8/18/2005 7:32:38 PM
Hi Mike, and Bob,
If you actually write the formula like that you will not be able to insert
rows or delete rows (or for that matter sort rows),    so ...

Would suggest using OFFSET in your formula,  but see
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/insrtrow.htm
    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/offset.htm
for some additional aspects that you might want to consider
for a checkbook balance.

--
---
HTH,

"Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretiscali.co.uk> wrote in message news:eDXKVuCpFHA.616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl...
> =C2+a3-B3
>
> where C2 is the previous balance, credits in A3, debits in B3
>
> --
>
> HTH
>
> RP
>

> "Mike Busch" <MikeBusch@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > To explain better, in one cell I need a formula that will add or subtract,
> > depending which cell is filled in. Hope this helps.
> >
> > "Mike Busch" wrote:
> >
> > > Writing a checkbook and need to take the balance in the worksheet and
> either
> > > add or subtract a cell value from the balance depending on if it is a
> Debit
> > > or credit whech will both be on the same line. Thanks in advance.

Click in cell w/ formula and get colors in referenced cells
Hi, When you click in a cell with a formula, Excel will then put color around the cells that are referenced. Somehow I turned that feature off. Now I do not get colors in th other cells. Where is that option to turn it back on???? I've looke and looked but I just can't find that option. Thanks for the help -- albea ----------------------------------------------------------------------- albean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2875 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=48436 ...

monthly budget/check registry spreadsheet formula
I'm working on a monthly budget/check registry spreadsheet. What I want to do is have the check register link to the allowed balances in the monthly budget. I have two fields in my monthly budget for each item. A projected cost and actual cost. I want to link entries in the check registry to the actual cost of the fields in the monthly budget. I plan to use account numbers to link these fields to each other. For example . . . Say I buy groceries for $50. When I enter this into the check registry I enter all the necessary information along with an account number that links this tra...

macro for comparing fields in two work books
Hello, I have two excel spread sheets (say A1 & A2). A1- is the master sprea sheet and A2 is smaller spread sheet with very few details. Suppose Column B in A2 has 100 partnumbers and Column C in A1 has th superset of partumbers (1000) and corresponding details for each par number, I need to: 1. Check if all the 100 part numbers in A2 has a corresponding match i A1 2. Extract the info for the matched partnumbers from A1 and list in seprate sheet. 3. Even if there in no match A1, let's say for 40 of them, it shoul still list those parts in the new sheet. Can anybody help me with t...

Help Creating A Formula #2
I need to make a formula for alook up. The first spreadsheet i inventory, the second one is pg 103 strapping. I want to enter the fee and inches for pg 103 on the inventory and have it look up the feet an inches on strapping chart and enter the appropriate gallons in column Attachment filename: p & g 101 strapping.zip Download attachment: http://www.excelforum.com/attachment.php?postid=50210 -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Time duration formula
I would like to know the formula to work out my employees employment duration, from a given start date to the current day. many thanks Take a look at DATEDIF. Explained at http://www.cpearson.com/excel/datedif.htm -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "Ska" <Ska@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B10818AE-1CAD-4CE5-BDED-BC0DDC96C876@microsoft.com... > I would like to know the formula to work out my employees employment > duration, from a given start date to the current day. > > many thanks Thanks Bob, I have us...

Excel formula help #4
Hello! Can somone help me with this formula 2004:21-0-1-1-11 in this cell i wan't to get out "21" 2005:2-0-0-0-1 in this cell i wan't to get out "2" My result from the formula is "-21" and ":2-" is there a formula that i can use on both and get the result "21" and "2"? I want to add the together at the end and get the result "23" but with : and - i only get error. -- johhny ------------------------------------------------------------------------ johhny's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?act...

RE: Check this correction update
--wnmfhdyuimbuoogb Content-Type: multipart/related; boundary="grtwgjbbz"; type="multipart/alternative" --grtwgjbbz Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="mrihmqcdiuwpmb" --mrihmqcdiuwpmb Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Microsoft User this is the latest version of security update, the "October 2003, Cumulative Patch" update which eliminates all known security vulnerabilities affecting MS Internet Explorer, MS Outlook and MS Outlook Express as well as three new vulnerabilities. Install now to protect your c...

CONCATENATE text to create a formula to be evaluated
Hi, I am wanting to concatenate a set of text to create a formula. I have done so below. =CONCATENATE("=MAX('",O1,"'!A3:A65536)") The result is: =MAX('2009'!A3:A65536) ....but it treats this as a text string when I try to use INDIRECT Cell O1 contains the year minus 1. In this case O1 = 2009. All of my worksheets are named as a year e.g. 2007....2008....2009...2010. I am entering this on sheet 2010. Now the real question: How do I make another cell evaluate this string as an actual formula and spit out the highest number for ...

text in formula
Help!!! Is there a way to have a formula where a cell with text is in it, but it is not included in the formula. Like I have a random cell that appears sometimes within the range but because it is text and I do not want to include it in the formula. Is there a certain "symbol" that could be used? HELP!! Hi maureen, It depends on what the actual formula is, but *some* functions ignore text entries. You could use the ISNUMBER function to include only those entries that are numbers. Post your formula for a more detailed reply. Biff >-----Original Message----- >Help...

need formula help
I'm trying to have a formula do 3 scenerios in one cell and have a partial formula working: IF(AND(G39>30, G39<=7),3000) which equates to if cell G39 is greater than 0 and less than or equal to 7 use 3000. I would like to continue the formula that if G39 is greater than 7 and less than 14 use 5000 and if G39 is greater than 14 use 7500. How can I do this? Hi, =IF(AND(G39>0, G39<=7),3000,IF(AND(G39>7, G39<=14),5000,if(G39>14,7500))) "tom" wrote: > I'm trying to have a formula do 3 scenerios in one cell and have a partial > form...

Formula Help #66
I need help with a formula. I can't figure out how to calculate for missing number. '05 we sold x units, I know we had a X% increase over '04 so what wa the '04 sales? Column A = '05 Columb B = '04 Column C = % increas -- bab ----------------------------------------------------------------------- babz's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2781 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=49307 '04 sales = '05 sales / 1.X% increase Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "babz" wrote: >...

Copying formulas to another worksheet
Can anyone please help me, I am trying to copy a formula =(sump1:p3) from one worksheet into a new worksheet. When I go to paste the formula the only thing that comes up is =SUM(#REF!). Can I even copy and paste a formula from one worksheet into a new worksheet? and if so how? Thanks When you paste a formula it relatively changes the cell references to suit where you have pasted it to. EG. If you pasted =sum(P1:P3) from cell P4 to cell B4 it would change to =sum(B1:B3). However, if you pasted it to cell B2 it could not reasonably change the references. If you are pasting because you...

Creating Formula with Embedded Variable ID
I need to create a single formula for my workbook that references cells from various tabs (over 20) in another workbook. I want to copy this formula into multiple tabs within my workbook. My workbook and the external workbook have the same number of and identically named tabs. I want to embed a variable into the formula that will take on the name of the tab that the formula is copied to. I imagine the formula would look something like this: ='K:\Sales Reports\[Ohio Team, Mar-21-2004.xls]variable_identifying_the_tab_goes_here'!D1 I know I can use the following formula to derive th...

Formula to reference another worksheet, locate data, then record i
Hi All, It has been over 10 years since I did my Excel studies and I've unfortunately forgotten everything I haven't used regularly. My office has recently upgraded to Office 2007 (upgrade not being the descriptor I'd have chosen!) and I'm struggling with Excel. I've found my way around most issues, but I'm REALLY stuck now and suffering Friday-itis on top of it all! Essentially I have a multi-sheet workbook for my debtors ledger. Each page has separate columns for the customer numbers, names, total debts in each age range (7 days, 14 days etc), totals and lastl...

Amount in Words Complete Right Formula
give me complete formula See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace xxxx in the email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Naveed" <Naveed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:29B7C0D6-1DED-4321-B1EB-CA6DDCE73852@microsoft.com... > give me complete formula > ...

checking for existance of file before running macro
I have a macro that opens a source file to retrieve information. I want to be able to check to see if it's there first and if it's not send a msg to the user stating that the file isn't there. When the user clicks okay on the box I want the macro to end without error. Can anyone help? thx, Jim You can use the Dir() function: dim myFilename as string myfilename = "C:\autoexec.bat" if dir(myfilename) = "" then 'it's not there else 'yes, it is end if Jim wrote: > > I have a macro that opens a source file to retrieve information. I wan...

How to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula?
In order to simplify the maintenance of workbook formulas I need to reference workbook name in hyperlink formula =[myWorkbok.xls]mySheet!$E4 in this way =[A1]mySheet!$E4 given the file name stored in cell A1 Cell A1 : myWorkbook How do I write the formula to make it work? Will it work even if the referenced workbook is closed? Regards Frank Krogh The function you'd want to use is =indirect(). But =indirect() won't work if the sending file is closed. Laurent Longre has an addin (morefunc.xll) at: http://xcell05.free.fr/ or http://xcell05.free.fr/morefunc/english/index.htm ...

spell check in office basic or office Pro?
which ms office program do I need to purchase to get spell check in ms word? office basic or office professional? Thanks so much. Not sure why this put me in the excel user group..sorry barb Barb All of the office suite have Spellcheck. Take your pick, MS Works, Office Standard, Office Student, Office Pro. HTH Michael "barb" wrote: > which ms office program do I need to purchase to get spell check in ms word? > office basic or office professional? Thanks so much. Not sure why this put > me in the excel user group..sorry > barb ...

check boxes
I downloaded and worked on a template on someone elses computer using check boxes. I sent that template to my laptop to complete working on the template and the check boxes now show up like this: {form check box} How do I get this to go back to a check box? Hi JOLOJO58, Simple: Press Alt-F9 to toggle the field code view. -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "JOLOJO58" <JOLOJO58@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C83A55C-B768-43BE-A171-762EEA78DEAC@microsoft.com... >I downloaded and worked on a template on someone elses computer...

extracting numbers from a text field and applying formula
here's my question... i have a cell that has a text field of this type: '9-19' (a-b) I want to create a formula that will subtract 19-9 (b-a) and return the result as a number// can anyone help?! is this even doable? I'd really appreciate it! PS also, i'm very fairly new at excel so a detailed response with th formula would really help! ALe ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try: =MID(A1,FIND("-",A1)+1,99)-LEFT(A1,FIND("...

Formula Not Working Properly
I have the formula below and have tried copying it down column in macro. It will calculate the first cell "Q2" properly, but copies the same calculation from Q2 to all other cells. If I click in the formula and then the check mark to the left of formula, it calculates properly in the cell. How can I make it calculate properly from the macro? Also the range will change with each import to the worksheet the macro is applied to. How can I write the macro to apply to all cells in column Q where there is data in other columns in formula? Range("Q2").Sel...

What is the best way to Write this Formula
THank you to all that have helped and to who will help, i greatly appreciate it. Here is my question. I have four columns of data:b is OPEN, C is HIGH, D is LOW and D is CLOSE. I then wrote an =if(and)) statement with about six logical steps to come up with the words "BUY" and "SELL" in columns f and g respectfully. Then in column H I wrote a buy stop formula which is =if(f2="BUY",e2-6.00,""). Worked great got my new number now what I need to write is and this is the hard part IF at any time that the LOW(column d) from that period on until th...

Pivot Table VBA Reference Book & Blank Cells
Hi Everyone, I have a Pivot Table in Access 2003 and need the blank/null cells on the data axis to display "0". This is easy to do in Excel but I have searched through all of the options in Access and cannot find it. What is the VBA code required to set this option? Can anyone suggest a good reference book or website for coding Pivot Tables with VBA? Many thanks, David ...

formula for visible cells
Can I copy a worksheet so that the new worksheet looks exactly like the visible portion of the old worksheet. For example, if I filter and sort, I only want what is left visible to appear in my new worksheet, and I want it to do it automatically without my having to copy and paste. Automatic means VBA code. See Ron de Bruin's site for copying filtered results. http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 4 May 2010 11:32:01 -0700, jpstormy <jpstormy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Can I copy a worksheet so that the new workshee...

Conditional formatting formula with multiple criteria
Hi all, Have been puzzling over this for a while now, and can't get it right! Using conditional formatting, I want to: If any of the cells in Column B are blank, and the cells in Column C are blank, and the date in Column D is less than todays date - 3 days, turn the cell bold and red Can someone please help? I have tried all different variations and just can't get it! Thanks, Kirstie Kirstie Your questions sound like you wish to pick up whether there is a blank ANYWHERE in column B AND (not or) ALL cells in column C are blank AND that the date in a single cell in colum...