Formula - Adjustable Column Reference

There isa command to allow a formula to refer to a number in a cell to
adjust the column that is used in the formula.  BUT I CAN"T FIND IT!

If I want the formula to be using cell A11, I want to have 11 in a cell
and have it refer to whatever to A11.  If I have 12 in the cell then I
want it to refer to A12 instead.  Sorry, I am not explaining the
scenario very well.

Help.

MD

--
mdalby
mdalby's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7055

=INDIRECT("A"&A1)

--

HTH

RP

"mdalby" <mdalby.1f5s1d@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message

> There isa command to allow a formula to refer to a number in a cell to
> adjust the column that is used in the formula.  BUT I CAN"T FIND IT!
>
> If I want the formula to be using cell A11, I want to have 11 in a cell
> and have it refer to whatever to A11.  If I have 12 in the cell then I
> want it to refer to A12 instead.  Sorry, I am not explaining the
> scenario very well.
>
> Help.
>
> MD
>

> --
> mdalby
> mdalby's Profile:
http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=7055
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=274988

0
bob.phillips1 (6510)

formula is in C6
How do I put the results of a formula into a different cell from the formula? Thanks, Bob Type =C6 in cell F12. Bob wrote: > How do I put the results of a formula into a different cell from the formula? > Thanks, Bob Of course. I don't know what I was thinking. Except, I thought I'd read that the cell that contains the formula can contain a statement telling where to redirect the results. But I suppose having one cell equal the formula cell would be enough. Thanks, Bob "garfield-n-odie" wrote: > Type =C6 in cell F12. > > Bob wrote: > > Ho...

pivottable formula
I have the below daily data grouped by month. I have the actual total transmitted and suppressed records. Using the same fields I have the daily avg transmitted and suppressed records. Days is the count of day in each month (excludeing weekends). See data below: Avg Dly Avg Dly Date Trnsmttd Suppressed Trnsmttd Suppressed Days Jul 97,282 65,811 6,080 5,062 16 Aug 125,339 126,538 6,267 6,327 20 Sep 129,856 109,692 6,184 5,223 21 Oct 136,805 151...

Indirect cell reference
Hello How do I indirectly reference a cell in another worksheet in the same workbook using the Row() & Column() functions.. Every variation of any formula I have tried results in a formula error. Thanks Tony McGee To refer to a cell in the same row and column on sheet2: =INDIRECT("Sheet2!"&ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN())) -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html "Tony McGee" wrote: > Hello > > How do I indirectly reference a cell in another worksheet in the same > workbook using the Row() & Col...

Format Column
I have a column with inmate id numbers in it. I imported them from a text based program. I made a custom formatting for the column because all the id numbers begin with zero. IE 00112356 or 01555666 etc... The format I used was 00000000 under custom. The problem now is that I want to import them into access but access doesn't see the zero at the beginning. How can I make it show the literal number including the zeros? I tried adding the '01222555 before the number, but I would have to manually append 2000 records. Is there a faster way? Morph. Hi you could use a helper column...

Path in formula
Hello, I discovered something quite disturbing about the way Excel handles paths in formulas. I have a few directories/sub-directories with Excel files in them, with external links in formulas between them. If I move them to another place : - the "external links" remain correct for the formulas containing paths that go "down" (= pointing to sub-directories) - all external links pointing "up" (to the directory above the file) are broken !!! How can I fix that ?!? Thanks ! "myname" <lslfkjs@sdfmsflmk.com> wrote in message news:43cbf3cf$0$196...

Data to transfer from column to row #2
Dear All, I have a cell that contains like: PM-1234, PM-2345, PM-5689, PM-9999. I want to segregate these 4 tag into rows. i.e., PM-1234 PM-2345 PM-5689 PM-9999 Is there any excel guru out there to help in my problem??? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, qwerty7 -- qwerty7 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- qwerty70's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3267 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=52474 If you highlight the four cells containing the data, then click <...

Need to add range reference to existing formulas
I have two formulas I need to add range references to. An Array {=SUM(IF(H7:H42=R53,P7:P42))} A Formula =IF(ISERROR(MATCH(R53,H7:H42,0)),"",INDEX(G7:G42,MATCH(R53,H7:H42,0))) In the first, I need the ranges to be H7:H42 and AQ7:AQ45, P7:P42 and AY7:AY45. In the second, I need the ranges to be H7:H42 and AQ7:AQ45, G7:G42 and AP7:AP4 Any help would be appreciated, JSJenn --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Ranges in arrays have to be the same number of cells. 7 to 42 AND 7 TO 45 do not meet this critiera. -- Regards, Tom Ogilvy jsjenn > <<jsjenn.10...

what is the correct syntax for an allowable circular reference?
I am trying to add the values of two cells and return an updated total to one of the original two cells. Such as a weekly income update. See J.E. McGimpsey's website on how to do this: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/accumulator.html Scroll to the bottom of the page and look for: "Worksheet Function Accumulator (using Circular References)" HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >I am trying to add the values of two cells and return an updated total to one >of the original two cells. Such as a weekly income update. >. > ...

How do I split a column of information into two?
I have a column of information that I would like to split into two columns. As follows Mr John Smith (johnsmith@hotmail.com) Mrs Katie Brown (katiebrown@hotmail.com) I need to put everything in the bracket into a new column! Can anyone help? One way, assuming data as posted in A2 down In B2: =LEFT(A2,SEARCH("(",A2)-1) In C2: =RIGHT(A2,LEN(A2)-SEARCH("(",A2)+1) Select B2:C2, copy down as far as required -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- "Nigel" <Nigel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:64C2A4BD-CCF9-439...

using the value in a cell as part of another cell reference
I want to use the value in one cell as part of the reference for another. eg. A(K10). is there an easy or any way. Pretty new to this, if I'm asking the obvious. As I can't find a function or other method. Steve Stephen, =INDIRECT("A1") refers to A1, and returns what's in A1 =INDIRECT(A1) refers to whatever A1 points to (if A1 contains "A2" then you'd get what's in A2) Your question: =INDIRECT("A" & K10) (if K10 contains 5, then you'd get what's in A5) You can also use =OFFSET(A1,K10-1,0,1,1) This one isn't confounded b...

Link row to Column
I have a spreadsheet that has multiple tabs. I want to have a row of data be linked to a column on the other tab. For example: A1 linked to A1 B1 linked to A2 C1 linked to A3 D1 linked to A4 Is there an easy way to transpose the link so that I don't have to manually create the link for each one? I have about 70 or so and growing. Try: Cell A1: =INDIRECT("Sheet2!A" & COLUMN(A1)) and drag across the columns Regards Trevor "Aaronous" <Aaronous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8EA38615-6B24-402B-8C2A-78E4189A4C45@microsoft.co...

Copy the last cell in an Excel column to another cell
I am a novice excel user. I have a spread sheet that continually changes, rows and columns add or subtract up to a total. The total column contiunues to grow in length as new entries are made. Can this last cell with an entry be copied to another cell, for example in a header back at the top of the spread sheet? I have tried to find a function to no avail...MAX wont work becasue the number can get smaller. Thanks in advance. Assuming that Column C contains the 'Total', try... =LOOKUP(9.99999999999999E+307,C:C) Hope this helps! In article <79AF897E-5359-4786-9E60-6A2884...

Align receipt column to the left
Hi All, I have the following XML code from my a4 receipt. All I am trying to do is make the row <ROW> "||Discount||" Entry.ReasonDiscount.Code "|" align left so that it appears under my lookup code or description (i'm using entry.comment) I cannot seem to get this to work and I am very confused by the alignment command. Can anyone please help? It's an full page receipt using Opos drivers. I have included the code concerned below; <TABLE> <TOP> HeaderHeight + MarginTop </TOP> <FONT> "Small"...

Column-Line Chart w/ Dates
I have a chart that is using columns for category "A" on the primary x-axis (a $ amount). This category is broken down first by person, then by month. So essentially from left to right the columns will be person "1" and month "1", person "1" and month "2", person "1" and month "3", person "2" and month "1", and so on.... The chart is also using lines to mark category "B" on the secondary x-axis (a $ amount that is a portion of category "A", but not a percentage. Essentially c...

Error message when hiding columns
Has anyone seen this error message before when trying to hide columns? "Cannot shift objects off sheet." -- valenj ------------------------------------------------------------------------ valenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24087 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=376912 maybe this'll help: XL: "Cannot Shift Objects Off Sheet" Error Hiding Columns http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-ca;211769 valenj wrote: > > Has anyone seen this error message before whe...

Need help with formula!!!!
A B 9 Right ear % =VLOOKUP($F$4,Sheet2!A2:B65,2) 10 Left ear % =VLOOKUP($F$5,Sheet2!A3:B66,2) 11 Enter lesser %: =IF(B9>B10,B10,B9) 12 Enter greater %: =IF(B10>B9,B10,B9) 13 Bilateral Hearing Loss: =(((B12*5)+B13)/6)/100 This formula calcualtes the % of hearing loss in the right ear and the left ear then uses a formula to calculate the % of total bilatearl hearing loss. The formula in B13 multiplies the lesser % of the...

Using formatted cells in formulas
I have been provided a worksheet with a list of 5-digit part numbers that the creator of the worksheet formatted as zip code to preserve leading zeros. I need to use these cells in a formula which uses the "&" operator to tack on a suffix. For example: Original part number cell A1 = 2345 (with zip code formatting displays as 02345) I need cell A2 to be 02345XX, so I'm using the following formula: A1&"XX". Problem is, when I do this, Excel drops the leading zero and displays 2345XX. Is there a way to have Excel use the formatted display string for cell A1 inst...

formula for a column #2
I'm working on a daily worksheet where all the values for a column will be the same ex. L2/C2, L3/C3, L4/C4 How do I set it up? Assuming the column you want to compute the values is in say, col M Put in M2: =IF(C2=0,"",L2/C2) and press ENTER Point the cursor to the bottom right corner of M2 (cursor will turn into a "black cross") Drag to fill as far down as required .. -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- Singapore, GMT+8 xdemechanik http://savefile.com/projects/236895 -- "msdobe" <msdobe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:529B3703-9D9A-4560-80D...

Hiding Columns #2
I have a spreadsheet where 5 identical sheets feed into a summary sheet. The columns are dates where people enter the time that they have spent on a certain job. In the summary sheet I have a formula adding the corresponding cell in each of the sheets. I was wondering if anybody knew how I could hide a column on the summary sheet only if the formula result is zero from the data coming from the 5 other sheets. Thanks, Jane And if you really meant columns, you could use a macro: Option Explicit Sub testme01() Dim iCol As Long Dim wks As Worksheet Set wks = Worksheets(...

RemoveStar on mouse, using Excel draging Formula etc.
When I point to a cell to drag it or add a list of consecutive numbers or drag my formula to adjacent cells this *&^@^ star appears instead of the usual pointer. It messes up everything , Please tell me how to get rid of it. ----------an octegenarion amateur! P.S. I'm using Excel in Office 2003 A star generally has 5 points. I cannot think of any Excel pointer that has 5 points. Perhaps a better description of the figure and what it does to mess things up. Does it prevent dragging cells or formulas? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:08:01 -0700, robo9763 &l...

How do I set up a formula to flag up a future expiry date say 60 d
excel 2003 How do I set up a formula to flag up a future expiry date of say 60 days Conditional formatting. Select the cells, say A1:A10 Menu Format>Conditional Formatting Change Condition1 to Formula Is Add a formula of =A1=TODAY()+60 Select the pattern tab, choose a colour exit out -- HTH RP "Terrano2" <Terrano2@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:88511434-A400-45C7-A25C-5F5BFF06816E@microsoft.com... > excel 2003 > How do I set up a formula to flag up a future expiry date of say 60 days ...

Formula for increasing a result to the next highest 1000
A certain tax formula requires increasing the result of a subtraction of two numbers to the next highest 1000 For example, when subtracting 2250 from 5000, the result of 2750 must be increased by 250, which is the next highest 1000; this would also be the case if 2250 is subtracted from 4300, which results in 2050 - you would increase it to 2100. If cell A1 is the higher number, Cell A2 is the lower number, and the result is in Cell A3, what would be the formula in Cell A3 for increasing the result to the next highest 1000? The formula needs to be part of an "If" f...

divide all cells in column by 1000000
What is the fastest way to convert ALL the cells in a column by a number (1000000 in this case)? I have too many rows to even think about doing it manually. Would really appreciate any input! Thanks! KF, put 1000000 in a cell then click on it and copy, then select the range you want to change and right click and paste special, under operations pick divide click OK. -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Using Excel 2000 & 97 Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** &qu...

View column position or line number in Word 2007?
Ugh. I used to be ablet o see my horizontal column position in Word 2003 and I used to be ble to see the line I was on as well. Both were on the Status Bar. Did those features go away in Word 2007? I can find nothing in Help. Help seems to be very lacking in Word 2007. I am using Windows Xp. Thanks, Natelle Bracken San Diego Right click in the status bar to find those options. Pam Natelle wrote: >Ugh. I used to be ablet o see my horizontal column position in Word 2003 and >I used to be ble to see the line I was on as well. Both were on the Status >Bar. Did ...

Excact row and column size
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_00BC_01C42BA3.B7323100 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable In Publisher 2002, using calendar templates, it is easy to resize with = the mouse. However, this is a course change. There are instances when = I need to change a row or column size to an exact amount. . The Format = Table>Size seems like it would be the place to make an exact setting, = but it is inoperative and I do not see any way of making an exact size = in the Table drop down menu. =20 Is ...