Formatting numbers within combined links

I have a formula which is combining text with linked values from anothe
sheet, and I want to format those numbers with bold texting and
different font size so they stand out from the other text.  How can
do this?

Jonatha

--
Joniben
Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1704

As a formula (vs straight text), I don't believe it can be done...at least
thru v2000 (you didn't tell us what version you're working under), BUT I'm
putting a 'Notify me of replies' on this in case someone does know of a way
around this because, just as you see a need for this, I can too.
Good Luck,
--
Gary Brown
gary.DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail.Brown@kinneson.com

"Jonibenj" wrote:

> I have a formula which is combining text with linked values from another
> sheet, and I want to format those numbers with bold texting and a
> different font size so they stand out from the other text.  How can I
> do this?
>
> Jonathan
>

> --
> Jonibenj
> Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17048
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=397424

You are correct, sir.

Formulas can't use this kind of formatting--and neither can numeric values (only
text supports this).

Gary Brown wrote:

> As a formula (vs straight text), I don't believe it can be done...at least
> thru v2000 (you didn't tell us what version you're working under), BUT I'm
> putting a 'Notify me of replies' on this in case someone does know of a way
> around this because, just as you see a need for this, I can too.
> Good Luck,
> --
> Gary Brown
> gary.DeleteThis2SendMeAnEmail.Brown@kinneson.com
>
> "Jonibenj" wrote:
>

> > I have a formula which is combining text with linked values from another
> > sheet, and I want to format those numbers with bold texting and a
> > different font size so they stand out from the other text.  How can I
> > do this?
> >
> > Jonathan
> >

> > --
> > Jonibenj
> > Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=17048
> > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=397424

--

Dave Peterson
0

--
Joniben
Jonibenj's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1704
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=39742

Why Can't I Access Internet Links
I use Windows XP and IE 7 and suddenly one day I was unable to access internet links that were sent to me thru regular emails to my Microsoft Outlook. Any idea how to fix it? Thanks. What happens when you try? Any error messages? Hal -- Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-Print/Imaging -- WA7BGX http://www.kvoa.com -- "When News breaks, we fix it!" KVOA Television, Tucson, AZ. NBC Channel 4 Live at Hot Licks - www.badnewsbluesband.com "amirstal" <amirstal@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d7decb35-157c-4438-82bd-24a2536d347f@m36g2...

Conditional Formatting for a certain month
Having a bit of an issue at the moment, ive got the Cell for instance A1 Which contains 04-Jan-06 Basically Im after some conditional formatting to say if the month is January, then make the cell blue. Which will then lead to me making the other cells different colours depending on their month, but again, it has to be in this format (DD-MM-YY) Thanks for any help, muchly apreciated Assuming a properly formatted date, formula is =if(month(a1)=1) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Advo" <max_mischief@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1158151582....

Rich Text control formatted as bold??
I have a control field on my form that is setup as textformat = rich text. In the memo field on the form I need specific parts of the text to show up as bold. Upon form load I am populating the field with string data such as: Me.MyTextBox = "This is a test string generation." I need to set bold only one or two words of this string. The way I understood it was that if I was using Rich Text format it would convert the formatting to HTML style. But I don't see and havent found examples HTML formatting like [b] [/b] working in VBA. What is the correct way I can do t...

Linking Time-varying charts
Hi all, Here's my problem. I've got a set of Excel files with monthly data which is updated every month. So in January I only have Jan data. In February I have Jan and Feb data, and so on. The chart I have for this data always displays a full 18 months data from October 2003 to March 2005, and as more data is added, the line on the chart snakes its way from left to right. These files are submitted to me from various sources. As a central data collector, I now want to link these Excel files into a single Excel file which will display all the charts in one place for convenience. Ho...

conditional formating #4
I have an annual report spreadsheet comprised of 15 rows (1 - 15) and 5 columns (A - E). In columns "B" and "D" I add numbers from the current year, leaving future year cells blank. I highlight in yellow the blank future cells in columns "B" and "D" by a conditional format "formula is = ISBLANK(B9)". I leave past year cells in "B" and "D" with numbers but no highlight colors. I wish to highlight in green the current year numbers in columns "B" and "D", which will always be a cell above the firs...

Combining 2 Text Strings in Body of E-Mail Q
I am trying to create a string of text to place in the message body of an e-mail. Using Ron De Bruins code I've run in to the "Too many line continuations". I've a requirement for 31 lines, but it hits this error on line 24. How can I combine 2 text strings to appear in the message body of the reports. My code with only the first stringbody is:- Sub Mail_New_Version() Dim FileExtStr As String Dim FileFormatNum As Long Dim Sourcewb As Workbook Dim Destwb As Workbook Dim TempFilePath As String Dim TempFileName As String Dim OutApp As O...

formatting of txt file
Hi, Can anybody can help me in in formatting the below data for me The below data is coming in a txt file and i need the data in a excel file However when i put in excel i am not getting any structured form I need the Reference mentioned against the numeric value in the separate column as heading and the data below should come below the heading. I have tried, but i have to a lot of manual edit after formatting. 1.Emplyoee name bsdcbasdb hbvabfvas 2.Date 12-12-09 3.Address Dettails 12/2 main street City - bvauisdbc Pin code- 1100154 4. Department snbvsivnsvn oihbvis...

How do I link multiple excel documents?
I need to link three Excel Documents into a master document that will reflect the data inputted into the others. as of right now they are all one document but that allows only one person at a time to enter the data, we need to have multiple people entering the data. Let's try for the easy solution first... Are people entering data on different worksheets, which are then captured on a 'master' sheet via equations? If so, open the file (make a backup copy first!), click on one of the input sheet tabs and select Move or Copy, then move the sheet into a New Workbook. Save th...

Open Spreadsheet--Formatting Changed to Date??
I opened my spreadsheet and some, but not all of the columns on every sheet in the workbook has changed to a date format. I opened other spreadsheets and there was no change. Can anyone explain this. It's a real pain to deal with. ...

Linked Servers / OLE DB Jet4.0 request fails!
Hello I tried to execute an sql statement throught SQL OLEDB command It fails since I moved my configuration on 64 bits Windows 2008 Server System and migrate Sql Server 2005 to 2008. I want to execute an SQL Statement into an Excel file with Sql Linked Servers OleDbConnection sq = new OleDbConnection(); sq.ConnectionString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=xxx;user id=xxx;password=xxx;"; [...] sql = "insert into openquery(... FROM [Export$]) ... OleDbCommand c = new OleDbCommand(sql, sq); c.ExecuteNonQuery(); Returns : can't execute the query, prov...

Serial Number while printing.
Guys, could you please help me on my problem? i just want to use the serial number on my report but the problem is, i did'nt know how to use it properly. here is my problem goes: i have 1 page of report, and i want to print it for 100 copies (meaning the 100copies had only one content). i want to have a serial number for 100 copies. for example the first printout will have serial number 1, the second is 2, the 3rd print out is 3 and for last printout will have of course serial number 100. hope to hear from you guys. thanks. So the first record in the report is printed 100 times, with th...

Display lists in an arbitrary number of columns
I have written and posted the following articles which will prove useful = to some: Display Lists in Columns Horizontally Using One Cell per Column http://www.braintrove.com/default.aspx?p=3D3&s=3D1&i=3D34 Display Lists in Columns Horizontally Using Individual Cells http://www.braintrove.com/default.aspx?p=3D3&s=3D1&i=3D33 Display Lists in Columns Vertically Using One Cells per Column http://www.braintrove.com/default.aspx?p=3D3&s=3D1&i=3D32 Display Lists in Columns Vertically Using Individual Cells http://www.braintrove.com/default.aspx?p=3D3&s=3D1&i=3D31 ...

How to Insert brackets within string
In my worksheet, I have two columns, Col A for users to enter projects numbers while Col B for work description and Col C for cost spent. The project numbers and cost are then collected into pivot table in another workbook for other calculation. The problem now is some of the project numbers are like this 1100, 1100(A), 1307(E), 1611(A), 1611(B), 1612(C), 1612(D), 10303(1) and etc. So, if the users enter 1100A instead of 1100(A), then I cannot do the caluculation correctly. If the user enter 1100A mistakenly, Can we do some code to change it to 1100(A) ? using IF-else maybe or ?? Please ad...

how do i set up to auto detect duplicated numbers in an excel fiel
I use excel spreadsheets to generate joblists and invoices. I need to ensure that job numbers are not duplicated. I enter my clients numbers here and have had double entry problems. Help!!!! Hi see: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/NoDupEntry.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Peabody wrote: > I use excel spreadsheets to generate joblists and invoices. I need to > ensure that job numbers are not duplicated. I enter my clients > numbers here and have had double entry problems. Help!!!! ...

COUNTIF using formatting?
Here is a basic example of what I'm trying to do: I have a list of football teams. Each week, I format the football teams that won with red font. Is there a way to find a count of those teams formatting in red and display that number in my worksheet? I know an alternate way around this would be to have a win/loss column and do a COUNTIF based on the values there. But I'm wondering if there's a way to do it based on the formatting instead of the values. Nicolle K. wrote: > Here is a basic example of what I'm trying to do: > > I have a list of football team...

Transform a Cell from Formula to Number
Is there a way to turn a cell from a formula to the number the formula outputs? Copy it to the clipboard, then do Edit>PasteSpceial, click Values -- HTH Bob Phillips "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:76DA206E-CFC3-4E63-9789-69735538E1A7@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to turn a cell from a formula to the number the formula outputs? Copy the cell. Edit/Paste Special/Values. In article <76DA206E-CFC3-4E63-9789-69735538E1A7@microsoft.com>, "Sloth" <Sloth@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Is there a way to...

Stop Excel Changing Format
In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the cell to use the General format. Any idea how I get Excel to show the number as I want? Format as dd/mm -- David Biddulph "Chris762" <Chris762@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D028B2CD-5096-4EB5-8FFF-249AD6839774@microsoft.com... > In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter > this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the > cell > to...

How to split numbers and decimal in 2 columns
One column for the dollars and the other for the cents? If so, use the Text to Columns, Use Delimited as the split option (Step 1) and select Other, type in the decimal point in the blank to the right of the Other option in step 2. This is good, but how do i keep it in the colums is i introduce new data and how do i sum it up (the colums) to get a final number with decimals in there corresponding colums? Dollars in in B, cents in C, Data shown Dollars Cents Cu Sum 7 56 7.56 3 44 11.00 2 24 13.24 45 23 58.47 C2: =SUM($B$2:B2)+SUM($C$2:C2)/100 and copy down Regards Peter A "...

finding the second largest number in a list

Numbering add-in
I'm opening an older Excel file in Office 2000. When I open it, it gives me an error that says: "The numbering add-in must be loaded for optimal numbering and toolabr behavior. Please load this add-in into your Library directory." I think I can load the add-in correctly IF I could only find somewhere to download it from. Any suggestions? I assume it has an XLA or XLL extension, but what is it called? I've loaded it onto my other machine, but I can't remember what it's called. Thanks for your help. ...kerri Kerri, Try looking for TMPLTNUM.XLA from the Office\L...

Qoutation Sequencial Numbering
I have a quote template "Quote Sheet11" that I have made up and would like cell "H4" to increase by 1 each time it is saved/opened... Please help!!! hi, Private Sub Workbook_Open() Sheets("yoursheet").select Range("H4").value = Range("H4").value + 1 end sub this will add 1 to h4 each time the wb is open. put the code in This Workbook in the vb editor. tool>macro>vb editor or alt+F11 Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) Sheets("yoursheet").select Range("H4").value = Range(&qu...

Font format of rich edit ctrl in dialogs, Help!
Hi, I have used a lot of rich edit ctrl in my dialogs (I am sorry that I haven't use edit ctrl instead) and I found one problem now. The text displayed initially in the ctrl (set by DoDataExchange()) has different font format with the text which users type in later. Any experienced people can tell me the functions to make these two font same? Otherwise I think I will have to change about 100 rich edit ctrl to edit ctrl besides a lot of codes. Thank you a lot. -- Best regards, Kelvin ...

Help with Date format
I want to enter dates into a worksheet like this: January 25, 2001 And i want to get excel to display the date with the following format: 1/25/01 I have tried using a date format from the format menu but it wont display the date like i want! It will only display the date as I typed it in. Thanks to anyone who can help. :) It appears you're typing the date into a cell formatted as something other than General. 1. Delete the current contents of the cell. 2. Format > Cell > Number tab. Choose a date format. 3. Now key in the date into the cell. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Or...

Format Cell (Number Custom)
I want the user to only be allowed to enter the Char type 'A' or 'D' in this particular cell. Does any know how to accomplish this? Does Char type 'A' or 'D' mean the characters A or D? If yes, take a look at Data|Validation. It isn't foolproof (users can paste over the cell), but it works nicely for most. barryderay wrote: > > I want the user to only be allowed to enter the Char type 'A' or 'D' in this > particular cell. > Does any know how to accomplish this? -- Dave Peterson ...

%s in XL entered as ".5" OR "50" reads as 50% if format is %age.
I have a spreadsheet I work with every day and I use fractional percentages, between 0-1%. If the field is formatted as Percentage, and I type in ".5", it reads it as 50%, which it would be if it weren't a percentage. But it is. It's a half percent. By typing in "50", I also get 50%, which doesn't make sense. If I type in "5" I get 5%, if I type in ".5", I should get .5%. Is there a way to make this happen, or is this just a glitch in Excel? Please help me figure this out. Thanks. abuzzmaster@yahoo.com Try this, Buzz: http://www.office...