Formatting help

I have an existing spreadsheet that I want to enter a date
in a cell. I formatted the cell for dates. When I enter
e.g. 1/26, the result is 01/00/00 and at the top it shows
=1/26. It appears that no matter which cell I use when I
enter the date as stated it does a calculation rather than
give a date. How do I stop the cells from doing a
calculation and just give me the date?

You have to enter the date in a format that Excel will
recognize, or pre-format the entry cells as text.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jason.morin (561)
1/26/2004 9:15:57 PM
Hi Walt!

I think that with your problem all you need to do is use:

Tools > Options > Transition
Remove check from Transition Formula Entry
OK

In Lotus 1/26 is evaluated as 1/26
With a date format this is represented as 0-Jan-1900 00:55:23 and
shown in the formula bar as =1/26

--
Regards
Norman Harker MVP (Excel)

0
njharker (1646)
1/26/2004 9:33:46 PM
Walt

Tools>Options>Transition.  Uncheck "transition formula entry".

That is a Lotus setting and produces the =1/26 in the formula bar.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 26 Jan 2004 13:05:57 -0800, "Walt Schroeder"
<wschroeder@na.cokecce.com> wrote:

>I have an existing spreadsheet that I want to enter a date
>in a cell. I formatted the cell for dates. When I enter
>e.g. 1/26, the result is 01/00/00 and at the top it shows
>=1/26. It appears that no matter which cell I use when I
>enter the date as stated it does a calculation rather than
>give a date. How do I stop the cells from doing a
>calculation and just give me the date?

0
Gord

Help with Advanced Budget
I am currently trying to setup an advanced budget. I go thru all the motions in setting up my paycheck and all of the categories in which I am budgeting for and the amount for which I am allocating. The problem I have is wheni go over to the bills tab and enter a bill, the amount on that particular category in the budget goes up throwing the budget off. I have tried everything i know and nothing is working. Can anyone help me with this please? Here's the deal: AB by design and code makes the assumption that everything in Bills is part of your budget. You need to enter the bills...

Format Chart based on data
I have built a chart from a simple spreadsheet of data. Here is an example of the data: Group1 13.77 Group2 15.86 Group3 12.11 I want the chart (bar style) to show each bar in Blue that corresponds to a value greater than 13. All other bars (<13) should be red. Is that possible? Also, I want to draw a line across the chart at 13 to show the "benchmark". http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/ConditionalChart1.html http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AddLine.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTe...

Formula Help #26
How do I enter a formula that counts based on two different criteria. I column A I have names and in column B I have dates or blank cells. need a formula that counts if there is a date in a specified cell i column B. The formula I have now is =SUMPRODUCT(A1:A12="Scratch")*(B1:B12="?????")) What would I put in the ????? to make it count if the cell has a date -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com The only thing I can think of would be a two step process. In C1, us the formula = if(and(isnumber(B1),A1="Scratch"),1,0), and so on dow the column. Th...

Workflow Rule
Hi there, I'm new to Microsoft CRM. We've just installed v3.0 and I'm trying to create my first workflow rule using the Workflow Manager. When a new account is created I want an email notification to be sent to the account owner. Here's what I've done: In the Entity Type list, I selected Account In the view list, I selected Rule On the file menu, I selected New In the Event list, I selected Create To insert a condition, I chose Check Conditions, then I selected Check Entity Condition Then I selected: If Account <owner> not null then e-mail to <owner> ...

Reconfigured tab key help
I have a user who performed some unknown key combination and reconfigured her tab key function. Instead of moving 1 cell at a time to the left hers moves 1 screen to the left. I have been unable to determine what combination she performed and can not return the tab key to the orginal state. If anyone knows what I would need to do to return her to her original state please let me know. Hi Try Tools / Options / Transition / Transition Navigation Keys check box. Andy. "Gary Dennis" <gdenni@acxiom.com> wrote in message news:1e4501c3ff95$ba3c4d70$a601280a@phx.gbl... > I...

Help Please
High I have one report showing Patients data like "country"diagnosis,etc" the report will order records by country and there is a header for the country. at the buttom of the report i want to put a summary like this country No of Patients country 1 10 country 2 2 etc how can I do this , do I need to generate a subreport, and if so , where i should place it , in the report footer or in the details section. actully , I have tried putting a subreport in the rpt footer , but un...

can anyone help me on directshow filters
can anyone help me on directshow filters Hi goru, >can anyone help me on directshow filters Yes, there are a lot of tutorials out there in the www and the MSDN Library with DirectX Reference can help you: http://www.google.de/search?num=30&hl=de&newwindow=1&safe=off&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=DirectShow+Filter+tutorial&spell=1 Download SDK with Reference: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/directx/default.aspx Direct Show 9.0: http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms783323(VS.85).aspx DevMasters.NET: Great List of Engines and Tuto...

The form required to view this message cannot be displayed. Contact your help ad
I'm trying to open email that contains forwarded email's. I'm using Outlook 2002 w/SP-2 and XP Pro on clean installs. I can save the attachments but would like to just display them if possible. ...

Help-import from win98-outlook express 4
I hope someone can help. Situation: Sector failure on an old HD, win98 installed. New HD for boot with WinXP Pro installed. I can read parts of the old HD and would like to import the mail and address book into either outlook or outlook express. No matter what I try with the file->import selection in either Outlook or Outlook express on XP, I cannot import these important files. I have looked through the KB files and followed all suggestions. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks, B0b ...

Help!, Adding Custom Forms in CRM
HI Mike, I guess, you have very good exposure to the forms customization in CRM. Could u please help me with this issue. I have a list of products in a seperate database outside CRM. The quantity on hand field in that database is real. Now what I really need is to have a button or toolbar item on the OrderProducts form to Check for availability of the product. I do have the product GUID in the external table. I will have get the currently selected product's guid from orderproduct screen and pass this to a custom aspx page. This custom aspx page will find the available qty and sh...

Lost formatting in e-mails composed in Outlook
When I compose e-mails using Outlook--either in Word or not in Word--the recipient receives the e-mail with all formatting stripped from it. I can't use color, different fonts, italics, etc., because all disappear between "Send" and "Receive" even when I send it to myself. I finally found and chose the option of NOT removing formatting when sending, no matter what program it is sent to, but it removes all formatting anyway. Anybody know how to make it leave all the formatting in e-mails, either in Word or not in Word, when sent? Also, anybody know how to turn off AL...

JET dB Newbie Needs Help
Hello all, I'm haveing a bit of a problem with writing to a jet dB and looking for a little help. The problem is that for some reason data is sudenly being written to the end of the new data which is appearing BEFORE the older data. It is as though JET does not recognize the fact that the older data even exists. Each time a record is added it writes it to the end of the more recent data and pushes down all the previously existing data. This is how I open the dB and recordset: (please excuse word wraping) Set eScalperDB = OpenDatabase("C:\Documents and Settings\My Databases\eScal...

formating issue
Hello, I use excel 07. I have an excel sheet. On the sheet I have tables spread vertically and not horizontally. That is, I have three tables placed beneath each other. Now, If i play around with the width of a column, of course the width of the cells on the same column chnage accordingly. This is what i dont want it to happen. I want to arrange cells widths independent from each other, while at the same time the keep other tables' cell widths fixed. Now you will suggest to put tables horizontally and change widths then. The problem is that I copy and paste the tables to word. in the...

Indent formatted cell
I would like cells that are formatted with comma (no decimals) to be indented. I can do it to non-formatted cells, but once I apply the currency or comma style, I can no longer indent the cells. I wish to do this to line them up closer to the centre and thus under the heading at the top. Thank you Deborah Hi, Deborah- You don't specify what your comma format cells look like so I don't know if this will work. How about if you leave the cell unformatted, and achieve the comma formatting with the TEXT() function. Then you can apply the indent to the cell. Hope this does it for you...

Help with DLL's & CALLBACKS
Hello group, I'm trying to write an app that uses regular DLL's as plug-in's; everything was progressing OK until I needed a way for the plug-in to callback to the client program; I just can't seem to figure out how to do it? What I have: //In the DLL .h #define PLUG1_API __declspec(dllexport) // Type definition for the callback function. typedef bool CALLBACK CallbackFunc(int, DWORD); extern "C" PLUG1_API void CalcResults(CallbackFunc* Callback, DWORD ...

help! what is Error Number: 0x800CCC18?
Account: 'wonderland207/mail', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18 "kmh" <kmh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:33D840F0-4173-48AD-8154-13557DEB09B2@microsoft.com... > Account: 'wonderland207/mail', Server: 'pop3.live.com', Protocol: POP3, > Server Response: '-ERR command not implemented', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): > Yes, > Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Num...

Six conditional formatting possible?
Is there any alternative way to create six or more conditional formatting and how can I save my formats? User is on self study and would appreciate step by step method on how to create if there's any. Thanks As an example, tinker with this sheet sub* which conditionally colors (both fill colors and font colors) in cols A to T (20 cols) based on the numeric values -- between 1-30, inclusive -- in col U (within U2:U100) *from a Mike H posting To install: Copy the sub Right-click on the sheet tab > View Code Paste the sub into the code window on the right Press Alt + Q to get back to...

Help with DSUM
I have the following in a unbound text box. =DSum("[Amount]", "YourTable", "[TransactionType] = ""Credit""") - DSum("[Amount]", "YourTable", "[Status] = ""Cleared""") This works however not until I put cleared in the status in the field. If I have 10 credit transactions nothing will show however as soon as I enter 1 cleared it will show that transaction. What I need to do is show all the transactions however if cleared is entered then it will remove that total from the sum. TIA Hi, this look...

Help Gurus! Pivot Table Text as Data
Is there a way to output a Text value in the Data area of a Pivot Table? For example, the pivot table I want is something like this: 5/1 5/2 5/3 5/4 5/5 5/6 task1 brad jeff task2 ann tony mike john task3 clint nick lori task4 tina pat Thanks in advance to everyone. Rafael Rafael, This isn't the purpose of a pivot table. It groups things, and does a calculation for each group (sum, average, etc.). You need to make the table you need yourself. How that's done depen...

I need help with a table formula/mass editting
I have a spreadsheet (.csv) with 1600 products/rows and several columns. One of the columns that has the product descriptions also contains 1600 rows. In each row under that 'description' column is a formula/code to input a chart/table with product details to our web site in a chart form. I have many new products that I need to place on the web site with this layout. I need to know how to optimize that particular column to add specific details to the chart formula for the 1600 products. For instance, I need the chart to be the same on each product but with different ...

HELP! how do I recover a deleted e-mail from Sent folder
Hi all, Can anyone tell me how to recover an important e-mail that I accidentally deleted out of my own sent items folder? It is not in my deleted items folder. Ack! Please help! Thanks pst-file or Exchange? In the case of a pst-file take a look here; http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/restoredeleteditemsfromanoutlookpst.htm In the case of an Exchange mailbox contact your admin for back-up/restore possibilities -- Roady [MVP] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Lucy" ...

32 bit format
I'm blocked from existing publisher documents on my computer. box comes up saying it's not a valid 32 bit format??? This had not been a problem in the past?? any help is appreciated After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Jim <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I'm blocked from existing publisher documents on my > computer. box comes up saying it's not a valid 32 bit > format??? Can you open Publisher OK? What version of Windows/Publisher are you running? Are you running a firewall/AV software? Have you chkdsk/scan...

Help finding employment
Hi, I used to be part of this newsgroup years ago. My work using MFC was of pure interest to me. I had money from my previous employer and pretty much did a few things on my own for a couple of years. I participated in the Questions/Answers in this newsgroup and really did enjoy programming using MFC. I got really good at implementing MFC and made a few programs. I never sold anything. It was just a hobby. I seem to be more into the OpenSource way of doing things, but I have no idea of how they make money from open source. I never made any money on the newsgroup. I was happy learning a...

50,000 msgs stuck in queue. HELP! (Exchange 2003)
Help I got over 50,000 files in my smtp virtual server queue. I have been trying to use microsoft's method of removing the files but it is not working. (using the Find Messages tool System Manager, deleteing 1000 at a time) I think there are just too many messages and my server locks up everytime I start the SMTP virtual server. (the inetsrvr.exe memory goes up too high Is there a manual way to remove all of these quickly? Can I delete the messages manually from the queue directory from the command line? If so should i stop smtp then delete them (ps I might be open relay or maybe virus w...

Displaying All Contact Names In The Same Format
When displaying contact names in Outlook 2003 you are given the option of either First Last or Last, First. I want mine to always be displayed the same. I don't care which one, as long as they are all the same, but since my contacts are enter by synchronizing with 2 different sources, Hotmail and PocketPC 2003, some of my contacts are displayed as Last, First and some are displayed as First Last. Does Outlook 2003 have a place where I can tell it to always display all contacts as one or the other? Thanks. -- Nathan Sokalski njsokalski@hotmail.com http://www.nathansokalski.com/ I...