Formatting cells from internet

I have copied and pasted a chart from a website.  (The website will not let me import)  The cells are showing numbered values, but when i go to put the formula in it is giving me a zero like it cannot read the numbers in the cell.  That is on 3 seperate columns.  On the very last column it is reading the numbers

I cannot make it recognize that those columns are numbers to be used in formulas

Thanks for your help!
0
anonymous (74722)

Use Dave McRitchie's Trimall macro to clean up the data.  Then copy an empty
cell, select all your data and do Edit / PasteSpecial / Add and it will coerce
all data back to numeric.

Regards
                  Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 00/02/03

"A. S." <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have copied and pasted a chart from a website.  (The website will not let me
import)  The cells are showing numbered values, but when i go to put the formula
in it is giving me a zero like it cannot read the numbers in the cell.  That is
on 3 seperate columns.  On the very last column it is reading the numbers.

> I cannot make it recognize that those columns are numbers to be used in
formulas.

> Thanks for your help!

---

ken.wright (2489)

Linking cells containing text from one worksheet to a cell with text in another worksheet
I have a workbook with two pages, the first page has cells that contain the main description heading of the cells on the second page. The second page has the heading in one cell and then the breakdown of each section under that, and repeated as there are about 11 sections. When I paste a link or use a hyperlink on the first page, it does take you to the heading cell on the second page, however I was wondering if there is a way to force the cells on the bottom of the page to the top for easier viewing. Right now it just pulls those cells up enough to see them at the bottom of the screen, and ...

Formula to lookup in a range, find duplicates, and then total the data in the applicable duplicate cells in another column
Need to know if the following is possible? I have a worksheet with several columns. One of those columns has some duplicate entries. What I need a formula to do is locate all the duplicates in this column. Then, based upon the values found in the cells (currency) of a different column in those duplicate rows, total the dollar amounts of these other cells. I don't know if it would be possible to insert a blank row to show the total dollar value of the dups, or perhaps "paste" (for lack of a better term) the resulting dollar total into one of the duped cells. Hi Ryn: I'm no...

Copying non-contiguos cells.
How can I copy and paste data in non contiguos cells? I tried to copy using the CTRL + mouse but when I try to copy doesn't appear... Any suggestions? Thanks a lot. Alex P.S. I wouldn't use macros. Axl, You can copy in the usual way, but when you paste, all the cells will be brought together, so you can't paste data in non-contiguous cells. -- HTH, Bernie MS Excel MVP "Axl" <axl_mac@libero.it> wrote in message news:40b2a2a1.0402030646.417330b5@posting.google.com... > How can I copy and paste data in non contiguos cells? > > I tried to copy using t...

Excel format conversion
Hi guys, is there a way to convert the following 123456789 to 123-456-789 or abcdefghi to abc-def-ghi I need to convert a long list of serial numbers so I can look for them, but doing it one by one will take me an eternity. Thanks Hi, you can get the numbers but the text, a solution is to use text to columns and then insert columns everyt three other "Aaron H" wrote: > Hi guys, is there a way to convert the following > 123456789 to 123-456-789 > or > abcdefghi to abc-def-ghi > I need to convert a long list of serial numbers so I can look for the...

Special date format
I'm trying to display the month in capital letters like this: JUL 21. I've tried to custom format using MMM dd but it displays as Jul 21. Is there a way? I guess it is not possible. As a work around you can store your date in some other place then use this formula on any cell you want =UPPER(TEXT(A1,"mmm dd")) This is assuming you input your date in A1 "Pencil" <pencil@unlisted.com> wrote in message news:Xns98089D7D8A6F1pencilunlistedcom@208.49.80.60... > I'm trying to display the month in capital letters like this: JUL 21. I've > t...

formating numbers #2
Hi, For some reason when I type 6.00 in my cells, excel formats my cell as 6 and removes the zeros of the fractional part. How can I overcome this problem ? Thx "Sam" <samuel.berthelot@voila.fr> wrote in message news:1112818136.718308.323460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > For some reason when I type 6.00 in my cells, excel formats my cell as > 6 and removes the zeros of the fractional part. How can I overcome this > problem ? > > Thx > Select the cell, column or row where you want two decimals. Select Format|Cells and click on Numbers. Make su...

Best chart format to use?
Hi, I am using Excel 2003. Let's say we want to implement a new system, and to get an idea of what to buy, we survey a number of like organisations to see what they are using, whether or not they recommend the system and if they have had any problems. Eg: Response Recommend Problems WSBS 5 4 1 ABC 2 0 2 DEF 1 1 1 GHI 0 0 0 XYZ 2 1 1 The left column shows hthe system. The Response column shows how many organisations use each system. The Recommend column shows how many organisations recommend the system (out of the original response) and the last column shows how many organisati...

change cell from negative to positive
I am trying to change the polarity of a cell with a signal funtion, i.e. change a negative number to a positive and visa versa. I have a spreadsheet which I have imported from an accounting software and I need the numbers which are positive to be negative and numbers which are negative to be positive. I know that I can multiply the cell by a -1 but I have more than 1700 cells to do this to. Terry, If this is a one-time change, do this. Put -1 in a cell, select it, and Copy. Now select the 1700 or so cells, Edit - Paste Special - Multiply. -- Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com "...

CSV Import File format
Hi Can someone give me comma, tab seperated file format that MSCRM imports to Contacts, Accounts and Leads . Thanks in advance Hi Can you not just create one in Excel (using the save as type option)?? Its what i did, but you may only be able to import Leads and Contacts Ben Can you please create one for leads and contacts and mail to me and( remove underscores for my correct mail id). I need just column headers to do comparision. laks_shmi_@e_grabber.c_om "bsmallwo@gmail.com" wrote: > Hi > > Can you not just create one in Excel (using the save as type option)??...

Split Cells #2
I have a spreadsheet where I want to show 2 values in 1 cell and I want there to be a diagonal line splitting the 2 values within the 1 cell. I want one value in the upper right corner of the cell and I want the other value in the lower left hand corner of the same cell. I went to format cell and put a diagonal line in the cell, but it does not allow me to enter 2 values the way I want to. please help, any suggestions welcome! Thanks. Mariah For appearance only. Data cannot be used for calculations. With Wrap Text checked.......... Enter 8 spaces followed by a number. Hit ALT...

how to create conditional format linked to date
I wish to create a conditional format linked to date, for example if info. in cell is less than 2 months old, the cell is green, if info. is more than 2 months old the cell turns red. one way: Format the cell to green. The Format>Conditional Formating>change cell is to formula is =if(today()-60=a1,true,false) and set the format to red HTH "nicko68" wrote: > I wish to create a conditional format linked to date, for example if info. in > cell is less than 2 months old, the cell is green, if info. is more than 2 > months old the cell turns red. I don't beli...

How to detect merged cells with C#
Hi, I do Excel programming first time, and I create a program to detect merged cells , by this way: 1.Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application excelApp = new Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.Application(); 2.Get every cells in the worksheet, and check it is merged cell, or not. ※There is one worksheet in the Excel only. but the worksheet has 60 columns and 10000 rows. and it take long time to finish detecting a worksheet. Is there any better way to do it? Best, Mars What version of excel are you supporting? xl2002 (it's there in xl2003 for sure!) added an op...

Exclude a cell
Excel 2002 Any one know how I can sum all the cell values in a column except the value of the last cell to be entered which could be say half-way down the column? Is there a function to exclude a particular cell from "sum" ? I know a lot of ppl are far more advanced than I am but we all start somewhere lol Thanks for your help Dale To exclude cell A16: =SUM(A:A)-A16 Not very elegant, but effcient! Cheers, -- AP "DF2507" <nospamthx@blueyonder.co.uk> a �crit dans le message de news: xB6sg.51172$181.12831@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk... > Excel 2002 > &...

Only 2 options in a cell
Hi I have a cell in which the only options are "Work" and "Home". How do I do this? Thanks Robert -- RobertLees ------------------------------------------------------------------------ RobertLees's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=26580 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=398526 somewhere far in the sheet enter the 2 options in lets say AA1 and AA2 Now in the cell where you want the option, select the cell, go to Data > Validation > List, and select the range AA1:AA2. Mangesh "...

Cell formats #3
Is it possible to customise a cell in excel that will display a negative number within parenthesis rather than the entered value preceeded by a minus sign? e.g Value entry "-1500" displays as "-1500" Required display "(1500)" Regards Steve Steve, Yes. Format - Cells - Number. In Category, choose Number or Currency, and you'll have a box to choose the display format of negative numbers. For more control, see Custom. -- Earl Kiosterud mvpearl omitthisword at verizon period net ------------------------------------------- "steve" <anonymo...

Maximum characters per cell
What is the maximum characters per cell in an Excel spreadsheet? Straight out of help:- Length of cell contents (text) 32,767 characters. Only 1,024 display in a cell; all 32,767 display in the formula bar. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "Judy" <anonymous@discussi...

Remove highlight background in cell
Hello- Is there an easy way to remove the "highlighted yellow background" in all cells in all worksheets of a workbook, but leave the data in the cell? So, change "yellow highlight" to "no fill" - but leave the cell contents? Thank you so much! Dttodgg, Ctrl+A to select all cells in the sheet, then click the drop down arrow next to fill color button and select no fill -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2...

adding in time formats
Hi, Can anyone help me? I am trying to add a column of hrs worked... To start- column b has the time started. It is formated as time 13:30. Column c has the end time. It is formated as 13:30. Column D is the total hrs worked. The formula used to calculate is =12-B1+C1. This gives me the hrs worked for that day. Column D is also formated as time 13:30 Now I would like to add the column d to give me a total of hrs worked. I have tried various formulas as well as formating the cell as time [hh]:mm. Can anyone help? Thanks -- rvnwdr -------------------------------------------------...

1 entered in cell comes up as 0.0000000001
I have checked the cell format properties and set it to general and then number w/ 2 decimal, the only way i can get 1 to stay as a 1 is to change the cell properties to text. Why is it doing this? it just started today and i dont know what i did. thansk! have a look at .......tools.... options....edit......and uncheck fixed decimal places -- Greetings from New Zealand "Breezy" <Breezy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:67941FBC-13BE-4CA5-8207-236ABA319506@microsoft.com... >I have checked the cell format properties and set it to general and then > ...

How to delete characters after a value in a cell?
I've got a list of url's in excel that I need to delete everything after the .com could someone tell me how to do this? I'm running excel 2007 One way, in say B1, copied down: =LEFT(A1,SEARCH(".com",A1)-1) -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 Downloads:27,000 Files:200 Subscribers:70 xdemechanik --- "mkabwilliams" <mkabwilliams@gmail.com> wrote in message news:bbcc9a6b-8ac3-4848-b389-e66ab6d8a117@x5g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I've got a list of url's in excel that I need to delete everything > after the .com could someo...

new publisher format troubles
Hello All, I currently have our church bulletin in Publisher 2000. It is run on 8.5 x 11 with 4 pages and book fold, so there are two pages on each side of the paper (using duplex printing with lazer printer). I want to keep this exact format, but I want to switch to 8.5 x 14, and use the extra three inches for 2 separate pages (one front and one back). So, in essence, everything would stay the same except for the new few inches that are gained. The document is setup to print in landscape form with book fold. The pages are obviously 8.5 inches tall, and 5.5 inches wide. I can change ...

Date Format 06-29-06
I've a problem with dates in a Microsoft CRM system. We checked the configuration, the personal options, the Windows configuration settings etc. and still we get US date formats (mm-dd-yy), instead of European date formats (dd-mm-yy). Does anybody know what's wrong? -- Maarten Dominicus CRM Consultant @work Management Associates You can change the date format for the applicaiton via the System Settings. However, there is a known issue related to the security that sometimes results in this setting not saving. Refere to the various hints about getting the SRS reporting worki...

formula to return certain cell
I have column A with names subtotal lines then in the column B $ values I want to create a forumula in column C that searches and return only $'s that are on the lines that contain total in the text string. any suggestions? Seems to me you ought to just learn how to use Data-->Subtotals. However, you should be able to use SUMIF: http://www.officearticles.com/excel/index.htm ******************* ~Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com www.MyExpertsOnline.com "jerry" <jerry@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A8DB40C9-B028-4ACC-825E-FEF59D0778A2@microsoft....

Clearing or Deleting cells with formulas returning ""
I need a macro line that will delete the contents of cells in a range that have formulas that return a blank cell. the if formulas in the cells return "" or some number. i need to empty the cells that do not return a number. TIA Fred R. Select your range to fix Edit|goto|special Select Formulas But uncheck Numbers Leave Text, Logical, Errors checked Click Ok Now hit the delete key. If you record a macro when you do it, you'll have your code. scaryboy wrote: > > I need a macro line that will delete the contents of cells in a range > that have formulas that return a ...

Printing Reports: Force A4 Format
hello! i am having trouble forcing a report to be in the A4 format when sending to the printer. it happens all the time that the report get send with the format 'letter' which causes the printer to stop and request for paper in letter format. the report i generate totally fits in the A4 format but it won't work the way i want it to! this is pretty annoying because i always have to manually push a button on the printer so that the report can be printed. is there a way through any preferences or vba code to make this work ? maybe someone can help me or give me a hint. thanks in adv...