Formatting a footer with a top border-line

I am using Excel 2002, but this seems to be a problem for me with Word 2002
as well. I want to format my footer with a top border (i.e., there should be
a border-line just over the footer and between it and the rest of the page.

I seem to remember being able to do this. With Word, I can format the footer
with a box around it, but that looks awful. I just want a nice descrete line
over the footer to separate it from the body of the page.

Clicking the Text Format Tool while in headers/footers only formats the
font, its size, underline/bold/italics, etc. No border lines are available as
options.

I've checked Help and the various FAQs but can't find anything on this
subject, although it would seem to me to be a common request.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

In Excel, you can't add a top border to the footer.

In Word, in the footer, click somewhere in the first line
In the Formatting toolbar, click the arrow at the right of the Border button
Click on the Top Border button, to apply a top border to the first
paragraph in the footer.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

0
dsd1 (5911)
12/19/2004 1:41:54 PM
Thank you very much for your prompt and helpful response.

Too bad about the lack of a footer top-border. It is useful when you have
multiple pages of material and want to set off the footer from the data. I
have been using a different font at a smaller size but the top border
solution would be better.

It is strange that these Office products, which pride themselves on having
as much of  a unified interface as possible, are different in this seemingly
minor aspect.

I would love to look at your book but being disabled I have a hard time
affording buying books unless they are very cheap, and even then I need $25
at a time to avoid shipping costs at Amazon. There is no sense buying a $10
book and then paying $4 for shipping, a 40% increase in the price.

Thanks again.

Ed

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote:

> In Excel, you can't add a top border to the footer.
>
> In Word, in the footer, click somewhere in the first line
> In the Formatting toolbar, click the arrow at the right of the Border button
> Click on the Top Border button, to apply a top border to the first
> paragraph in the footer.

Hi Ed,

One thing you could try in Excel --

In Paint, or another graphics program, create a drawing of a line,
that's about 7" wide. Shrink the image size so it's only the height of
the line, and the width of the line.

Save the graphics file.

In Excel, choose View>Header and Footer
Click the Custom Footer button
Click in the Centre section
Click the Insert picture button
Locate and select your line picture, and click Insert
Press the Enter key, and enter the footer text
If you want text in the Left or Right footer section, press the Enter
key, and enter the text on the second line of the section.
When finished, click OK, click OK.

And I don't have a book, just a web site. One of the pages has a list of
Excel books, by a wide variety of authors, that visitors can print, and
take to the book store with them.

Debra

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

0
dsd1 (5911)

more than 3 conditional formats #3
I'm trying to produce a spreadsheet whereby a date is entered when an activity should be completed by. I want it to produce the following outcomes: 1) when activity is selected and cell is orange and shows date to be completed by 2) when completed before due date, date is entered and cell turns green 3) when due date has passed cell turns red I can't seem to fit all this into conditional formatting and don't know how to carry all this out using IF. Help!! ...

copying formatting
I have a numbe of tables of differnt sizes all in the same document. I would like to make all the tables the same size and the same autoformat. Is there any way to do this quickly rather than one at a time. Thanks Liz Liz If the tables are on separate worksheets, you can group the sheets by selecting first sheet tab and "select all sheets". Do your formatting on sheet one and other sheets will be formatted the same. If tables are on the same worksheet, it gets more complicated. Post back with your layout. Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 17:07:26 -0700, "liz&...

Headers & Footers
Is there an easy way of copying headers and footers between sheets, other than writing VB code. Thanks Alec Hi, Group the sheets by clicking their tabs whilst holding the control key. Make sure the sheet with the headers and footers is the active sheet (name is Bold). Now "change" the header/footer info. Ungroup the sheets (righclick a tab, choose ungroup). Regards, Jan Karel Pieterse Excel TA/MVP >-----Original Message----- >Is there an easy way of copying headers and footers >between sheets, other than writing VB code. > >Thanks >Alec >. > When ...

Line-- Column charts
Hi, i have a line--column chart with 8 data sources on it, 4 are columns and 4 are lines with markers on, the markers i have removed to make them just a plain line...4 of the data sources are positive numbers, 4 are negative numbers....simple. If i was to add another data source to this chart by pressing add in the Source Data box, then using the values box etc, i end up with a another column on the chart, how can i change this to a line or from a line to a column, i don't know if i have control over what i get on the chart. Thanks for any advice, Shane. Hi, You can select the ...

Question about different versions of Outlook/express as indicated in the X-mailer line
I've been identifying some spam based on what appears on the X-mailer line. I don't use Outlook or OE as an e-mail client. I'm focusing on spammers who construct (forge) e-mail headers to make the e-mails appear legit, which frequently means that they construct spams that appear to have been sent by Outlook or OE. For example, I'm seeing this in some recent spam: X-Mailer: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4922.1500 Of my entire e-mail inventory (about 60k e-mails going back to 1998 - most of it being spam) I have about 2 dozen e-mails (all of them spam) with the above X-Mail...

Watermark behind text in the footer?
Hello Excel experts! I'm working on a spreadsheet of about 50 pages in Excel 2003. Ideally, the client would like each page to have a footer with a number 1, 2, 3, etc... in the bottom right hand corner...identifying his content. These are not page numbers he wants, just a simple numbering sequence. I can handle THAT part! LOL What he'd also like is a watermark type of graphic to sit *behind* each number. For example, let's say that he'd like each number super-imposed onto a maple leaf background. I've managed to get the maple leaf background (graphic) to sit on eit...

Signature formatting problem
I have a HTML file that I include in my WLM signature file. When I open the file in IE8, everything looks perfect. But, when I make that file my signature file, all the text lines are double spaced. My contact data normally measures about 1" in height (when viewed with IE) but when it gets plugged into my Signature file, it's 2" and double spaced. Any help appreciated, Tom Are you using <p> tags? Can you post the code? x out private information. -- Ron Sommer MS MVP- Windows Live Mail "Tom Brown" <Burner2_DELETE_NOSPAM@att.net> ...

Adding Values According to Formatting
I would like to create a formula to sum the values in a column but only include those values which have the cell formatting of yellow. This way I can fomat the cells yellow which I want included in the summation without having to manually adjust the formula in the cell after I have formatted a new cell in the column. Is this possible? (This formula does not necessarily need to include the entire column but maybe J1-J50 if that is easier.) Thanks in advance for any help. Check out this page. Look about halfway down it: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm tj "Brandt"...

out line fonts (and text) isn't there a way to outline fonts?
Isn't there a way to put a another color outline around fonts? I've made the fonts red and I'd like to have a thin line of black around them.... using publisher 2003 WordArt. Or a draw program. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Wednesday336" <Wednesday336@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4B80DFD4-28B1-4F43-B6F0-08BC694B5C90@microsoft.com... > Isn't there a way to put a another color outline around fonts? > I've made the fonts red and I'd like to have a thi...

date difference in mm/yyyy format
I have two date colums StartDate ReadDate I want to find all the readdates that are in months prior to the startdate Eg if(readdate<startdate,"yes","no") the problem is that if the readdate is in the same month (or any later date) as the startdate I want a "no' returned. Is there any way to compare to dates in a mm/yyyy format? Hi Ian =if(Month(readdate)<month(startdate),"yes","no") -- Regards Roger Govier Ian wrote: > I have two date colums > StartDate > ReadDate > > I want to find all t...

formatting combo boxes
hello! I am trying to use combo boxes for a class assignment and I am having some trouble. I first draw the box and right click to format control to get to the format control dialog box. When I get to this dialog box, my only choices are Size, properties, protection, and web- -no Control which means I effectively can't use the combo box. Any suggestions? Thanks! katie I think you used comboboxes from the control toolbox. You can get to a lot of it's formatting properties by choosing Properties when you right click on it. Or you could replace it with a dropdown (aka combobox) ...

cannot change line spacing
in word 2003 sometimes when I copy and paste small bits of text from elsewhere, choosing text only, it appears double spaced, and no matter what i try, i cannot change it to single spaced. what am I doing wrong? If the Line Spacing is correct, verify that the Spacing Before and After (Format | Paragraph) is set to zero (or whatever you prefer). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Jo Foster" <JoFoster@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CAE096BF-0426-442B-A28E-FD9678AD81FC@microsoft.com... > in word 2003 > sometimes when I copy and pas...

In "Line-Column on 2 Axis," why does not a series change to colum.
I am trying to plot a 6-column, 1-line chart. However, EXCEL decides that it will be a 4-columns and 3-lines charts. When I change the axis for series 5 and 6 to "primary," both series still carry line attributes. The chart description says that all series on the primary axis will be pltted as column. I have not been able to show series 5 and 6 as columns. How do I change them to columns? Try this: Create a column chart for all the data. Select the series of data for the line chart and change the chart type for that series only to LINE. If necessary, plot the line series ...

Retaining Formats from VLOOKUP
I have a Vlookup formula in worksheet1 that looks up values from worksheet2. These values in worksheet2 can either be percentages or currency amounts. Is it possible to have vlookup (or via code) to have return value from the lookup to retain the format from worksheet2? Thanks Mike Formulas can return values--not formatting. Any chance you can use Format|conditional formatting to duplicate the formatting? (Use the same rules in both spots.) Squid wrote: > > I have a Vlookup formula in worksheet1 that looks up > values from worksheet2. These values in worksheet2 can > e...

Conditional Format Cell
I have excel 200 and am having issues doing this. I need to create a cell that when empty would be yellow but when its typed in I need it the backgroud to change to white. I tried a conditional format from the menu (IF Cell Value equals "" then yellow).How can I do this? Am I messing something up on the Conditional FOrmat or do I need to try something else. Please Advise. Thanks Hi in the conditional format dialog chosse "Formula" in the listbox. Then enter the following formula (assuming that your taget cell is A1): =A15="" and set the background to yell...

The EFT for Payables module should also use the CCD format.
Hi Paul, Unfortunately the EFT for Payables module is only designed to use the PPD format. I do not have any indication if a change in the file is planned for future releases. I did some checking on Customer Source and did not find a post related to the CCD format request. I do know that other customers have addressed this concern with support, but without requests on product suggestion it will not be a priority for development to change. I have listed the direct link to the product suggestion site below. Please create a suggestion and have any other customers that you know of add...

Conditional Formatting #30
Am using Excel 2000 and want to have Conditional Formatting in cells. I want cells that are greater than a number to turn green. The cell I am Conditional Formatting also contains an 'IF' formula and turns green whether there is any number in it or not. Is there any way I can get it to Conditional Format only when a number appears in the cell? Hope I have made myself clear Nikwak I used A1 for my cell. Format|conditional formatting: formula is: =AND(ISNUMBER(A1),A1>5) Change 5 to what you want. Nick Wakeham wrote: > > Am using Excel 2000 and want to have Conditio...

How do I put multiple lines on a scatter chart?
I'm trying to plot up to 7 lines on a scatter chart, but am having trouble getting it to work. I'm a bit of a beginner with excel, and have worked out basic scatter charts, but I now need one that presents multiple lines for each 'item'. I'm not explaining this every well.. but does anyone know what I mean? The chart I have to work from and duplicate is in JPEG form so I can't just adjust the figures and re-plot.. it sort of looks like a rainbow with all the different lines curving, one higher than the other... Put your X data in column A, starting in A2 and ru...

Empty Cell-conditional formatting
I have a column where I enter a date when a document arrives. If it is left blank for more than 7 days I need an alert. I also have a start date in A1 to refer to. It would be 7 days from the start date, I would need the cell red or "ALERT". Thanks! SMack You want something like: =today()>$a$1+7 Color the cell red. Displaying "ALERT" would require a macro. Regards, Fred "smack" <smack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:549FC643-C7D3-483B-A8E5-04521FCD6F59@microsoft.com... >I have a column where I enter a dat...

How do you to keep formatting in emailed spreadsheet?
I had a spreadsheet emailed to me (not as an attachment) and would like to keep the formatting. If I copy and paste into a new spreadsheet from the email it does not keep the formatting. Any suggestions? What are you using for your browser. Only Internet Explorer is compatible with Excel and other Office Products. Does not keep the formatting of what IE or previous formatting of Excel cells. Are these dates, fractions or something of that nature. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel...

Shading between two lines
Hello, I have a line graph over time that jumps up and down (data 1). I also have another horizontal line that is the maximum of Data 1 and another horizontal line that is the minimum of Data 1. Does anyone know how to shade the area between the minimum and the maximum lines? I've tried a few things with Area Graphs but nothing seems to work. Thanks for all your help in advance. Hi, This can be done with area charts. One way, add 2 series based on Min and Max values. Change chart type to Area. Change series order so the Min appears in front of Max. Format Min to be same colour as pl...

Formatting a table
hello The detail section of my report has vertical and horizontal lines so that my values are printed in a table. This works fine. But, I want to always print a few blank table rows at the end of each report. If there are 20 lines of actual data, I'd like my table to show 22 rows. Is there an easy way to do this? -- cinnie cinnie, Since your grid is in the Detail Section, you should be able to "hardwire" 2 more blank grid rows into the next Footer section. For example... let's say the 22 rows are values from 2007. If you add a group footer for Year, it wi...

Best format to share Publisher Created Documents
I have created publisher documents and need to share them so others can print them from their e-mail. What is the best format to do this? pdf, jpeg and how do I convert them? I am running Publisher 2000 and neither of these are options in my Save as drop down. Thanks--Susan Susan R wrote: > I have created publisher documents and need to share them so others > can print them from their e-mail. What is the best format to do > this? pdf, jpeg and how do I convert them? I am running Publisher > 2000 and neither of these are options in my Save as drop down. > Thanks--Susan ...

Top margin shifts when viewed in print preview
This happened in Pub 97. Just installed Pub 2003, same thing. An 8.5 x 11 landscape page with margin guides all set at .2 inches (for Minolta 3300), also vertical and horizontal ruler guides and grid guides set at 2 columns and rows spaced at .4 inches. The same graphic is in each quadrant filling the bordered area. (Four postcards with an even border when the page is cut into quarters). Looks great until I view the print preview or print it, then it views and prints with a top margin of 6mm or about .25 inch. I don't think it's my printer properties, as I have printed it ...

Repeat Rows at Top Problem
I developed an application for Excel that uses "Rows to repeat at top" (for the header in a table) in the event the report being printed has multiple pages. It has worked fine. However, a user recently reported she has a report with just one page and is getting the header (the "row to repeat at top") printed over the footer on page one. Any ideas why? Is there something in an Excel setting that must be changed? TIA Jim Kobzeff Their program might be resetting the "page margins" (her default page margins might be .75 Inches while yours are set at .5 inche...