Formating text in colums to copy to other applications

Hi,

any help would be greatly received.

What I am trying to achieve is to format text in order for me to cu
and paste into other applications.

The text contains the item description in one column and the price i
another column, however when I highlight and copy then paste into th
application in work the columns are not formatted correctly and th
price column is all over the place.

e..g how I want it to look

price of item code 1234 (spanner)	�63.00
price of item code 23 (hammer)	�29.00
price of item code 9 (o/s)		�26.13

e.g how it actually looks

price of item code 1234 (spanner)	�63.00
price of item code 23 (hammer)    �29.00
price of item code 9 (o/s)	�26.13

It is worth noting that if I copy into notepad or word the formattin
is fine but not when I paste into the application in work (whic
appears to be a plain text editor)

Is there a way of formatting the text or putting in a dummy field ?

Ro

Rob

if it's a plain text editor, it's doing what it says on the tin ... plain
text editing.  No formatting.

Perhaps you could tell us what it is called ?  Note that in Outlook Express,
your before and after look the same ... no formatting.

Regards

Trevor

"robertguy >" <<robertguy.11w1lm@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> any help would be greatly received.
>
> What I am trying to achieve is to format text in order for me to cut
> and paste into other applications.
>
> The text contains the item description in one column and the price in
> another column, however when I highlight and copy then paste into the
> application in work the columns are not formatted correctly and the
> price column is all over the place.
>
> e..g how I want it to look
>
> price of item code 1234 (spanner) �63.00
> price of item code 23 (hammer) �29.00
> price of item code 9 (o/s) �26.13
>

> e.g how it actually looks
>

> price of item code 1234 (spanner) �63.00
> price of item code 23 (hammer)    �29.00
> price of item code 9 (o/s) �26.13
>

> It is worth noting that if I copy into notepad or word the formatting
> is fine but not when I paste into the application in work (which
> appears to be a plain text editor)
>
> Is there a way of formatting the text or putting in a dummy field ?
>

> Rob
>

> ---

Trevor9259 (673)
2/19/2004 9:06:27 PM
I think OE displays plain text in a proportional font (unless you've changed it
to (say) Courier New.

I see differences when I view it in Netscape Messenger 4.78 (using Courier New).

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

You could use a helper cell and do some nice concatenation:

=LEFT(A1&REPT(" ",40),40)&TEXT(B1,"�#,###,##0.00")

Then copy from this helper column.

And if you format that cell to use Courier New, you can see how it will align in
NotePad or OE (if you use a non-proportional font.)

"robertguy <" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> any help would be greatly received.
>
> What I am trying to achieve is to format text in order for me to cut
> and paste into other applications.
>
> The text contains the item description in one column and the price in
> another column, however when I highlight and copy then paste into the
> application in work the columns are not formatted correctly and the
> price column is all over the place.
>
> e..g how I want it to look
>
> price of item code 1234 (spanner)       �63.00
> price of item code 23 (hammer)  �29.00
> price of item code 9 (o/s)              �26.13
>
> e.g how it actually looks
>
> price of item code 1234 (spanner)       �63.00
> price of item code 23 (hammer)    �29.00
> price of item code 9 (o/s)      �26.13
>
> It is worth noting that if I copy into notepad or word the formatting
> is fine but not when I paste into the application in work (which
> appears to be a plain text editor)
>
> Is there a way of formatting the text or putting in a dummy field ?
>
> Rob
>
> ---

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)

Missing "start application" rule
I have Outlook 2000. When I try to create a new rule, I don't have the "start application" rule option in the list of actions. How do I get it there? Thanks. -- Robert J. Grimes Architect of Computer Systems I found it buried in the rules wizard, but now how do I pass a argument? "Robert J. Grimes" <Robert.Grimes@85021.com> wrote in message news:uy27Om32DHA.2224@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I have Outlook 2000. When I try to create a new rule, I don't have the > "start application" rule option in the list of actions. How do I get it > the...

Strange behavior when copying formula.
Hi, Here is what I'm trying to do. I want to show the summation of the first two rows' number in the third row. I use the summation function to get the first result. Then, I copy and paste the result to the other two, but they show the same results as the first one. I check the formula of all three results, and they are all correct and referring to the right cells. Why is that? 1 2 3 1 2 3 2 2 2 Leo Do you have Tools/Options/Calculation set to Manual? If so, click the Automatic button. In article <eE#EeXFhDHA.2512@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, "Leo Leon...

Can't display all text in cell
I'm trying to display text in a cell. I've got Wrap Text on, and I hav several paragraphs of text. All of it appears in the formula bar, bu not in the cell displayed on the screen. And yes, I increased the ro height, but it still doesn't show. Any ideas? Thank -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com I am having the same problem. Apparantly there is a 1024 character limitation per cel in excel. The only advice I have received so far, which does work, is to press alt+enter to create a line break. If you find another work around, I would be interested. Hi besid...

MSCRM Reports Export format
Does anyone know if there is a way to export reports as Rich Text Format (*.rtf)? or exporting to a CSV? We have a customer that still uses Wordperfect, and exporting to an Excel or Word Doc may not be an option. ...

Soft copy of training material
Hi all, I have completed the class room training of CRM 3.0 Installatio and Customization. I also got the printed training material. But soetimes, searching something in the book becomes very difficult. Can I have the soft copy of these training manuals? Does Microsoft provides it? We are Gold certified partners btw. If anybody has some idea about this, please let me know. Thanks, -Imran https://dynamics.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning should find everything from your course in the eLearning Courses (or at least, I'd presume so). Either way, the online courses are a handy thing ...

Conditional Formatting
I have a row of cells that calculate the totals for their columns but I force to be blank via IF statements until certain conditions are met. Once these conditions are met, the total appears. I'd like to also highlight these total cells via conditional formatting. My conditional formatting input is simply "If Cell is Greater than 0, format". For some reason all the cells format as though they are all > 0 yet they don't display anything. Are there some internal rules that specifiy when a cell is really 0? Is there another way to do this that won't care what the for...

Excel document changes format
Hi, I have an Excel document that changes format unexpectedly. It seems to change the format of the document eventhough i saved it. I have to resize the windows of the bar graphs, etc. It just doesn't save it the way i want. I re-installed MSOffice and re-did the NT profile, but still persists. Any ideas? Thanks. Excel does seem to have problems if the screen zoom is anything othe than 100%. Usually changing to 100 and back resets he screen display -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com ...

Hotkeys for text & background coloring
Hi. Does anyone know the hotkeys for text coloring (font color) & background coloring (fill color)? Eg: First you need to select the font color & fill color in the related toolbar incons. - When I highlight "I am great", then press "Ctrl+O" for example, the text will be colored as what it's displayed in the "font color" toolbr icon. - The simliar way applies to background coloring If the above is not available, any workaround is still apreciated. -- Additional information: - I'm using Office XP - I'm using Windows XP You could use a sma...

Boot straight into my application
I have an application that i want windows to boot straight into rather than the windows desktop. I've found out that if i change HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT \CurrentVersion\Winlogon and change explorer.exe to MyExe.exe and then reboot it should wdo this. My question is how do i change it back so that it does boot into the windows desktop with the problem being that i cant access the registry editor as it will boot straight into my application, Thanks In Advance Macca Macca wrote: > I have an application that i want windows to boot straight into rather than th...

The format of the e-mail address is incorrect
Good Morning, I'm getting the following message when attempting to send mail to anyone with an apostrophe in the domain name (ie. john.smith@wendy's.com) The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'mark_eganhouse@wendy's.com' on 2/22/2005 2:13 PM The format of the e-mail address is incorrect. Check the address, look up the recipient in the Address Book, or contact the recipient directly to find out the correct address. Any help would greatly be apreciated get rid of the ' it is wendys.com "JZaragozaJr" <JZaragozaJr@discussi...

add external application icon on toolbarr in R8
Kindly have a external application icon (like Frx) on the toolbar available that when you click on the icon it opens up the external application automatically. Having the Shortcut menu added to the toolbar is close, but not exactly what we are looking for. If there is a way to add the actual shortcut, such as a Smartlist, or an external application as an icon to just click on to open it would be great. I think that capability went away with Release 8.0. 3rd parties who have full blown Dexterity apps can still do it, but I think when pallets went away, so did this. Alan "mult...

counting same text from different cells
Hi I was Trying to count text such as "p" for pass from different cell in excel but i am not sure what is the formula for that. It will be really helpful if u could send me the solution thank you om Hi =COUNTIF(A1:A100,"p") -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "om" <om@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:96B25715-6B88-40F8-8360-9602A05E3B30@microsoft.com... > Hi I was Trying to count text such as "p" for pass from different cell in > excel but i am not sure what is the formula for that. > > It will be rea...

Formatting Cells #13
If you want something from cell (A) to appear in cell (B) and change when the contents of cell A changes, how do I do that? Acurran, =A1 ??? -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 2003 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Acurran" <Acurran@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E800CB99-E6BA-4DF3-BCA0-445A89B2E8A8@microsoft.com... > If you want something from cell (A) to appear i...

Modify Protection Macro to allow formatting?
Option Explicit Sub UnprotectAll() dim wks as worksheet for each wks in activeworkbook.worksheets wks.unprotect password:="topsecret" next wks End Sub Sub ProtectAll() dim wks as worksheet for each wks in activeworkbook.worksheets wks.protect password:="topsecret" next wks End Sub How do I modify to allow users to format cells? Only been 4 minutes since your first post. Have a little patience. See reply at that post. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 11:14:02 -0800, Visakha <Visakha@discussions.microsoft...

Software copy-protection strategies involving unlock codes
I would like to learn about strategies for protecting my software against illicit copying, by supplying users with unlock codes which they have to use to unlock the program's full functionality. Does anyone know of any good books on this topic, or other sources of information on it. TIA Simon I don't, although I've done a bit of work in this area myself. The first issue you need to deal with is how to stop a customer that has the code from being able to give it to someone else. I simply have the code tied to the customers name and company, if any. This way, they can st...

conditional formatting colors
I need to somehow reflect drops in collections, but there is no set beginning amount to put in the formula bar. I need to highlight in bold or color decreases on a monthly basis and by quarter when drops of three consecutive months happen, I have tried everything, but nothing seems to be working. The spreadsheet is setup where as follows: a b c d e f g H name tume state desc rep month revenue collection it continues down with all of Jan. going down from column a4:a310 and then skips rows and begins Feb. stats a312:a624 and so on. I'...

Tasks - Monthly View
Outlook 2003, standalone computer. For some reason the rules don't function on my calendar view (month) of Tasks. Even the Default ones don't work. IE completed tasks should be strikethrough, and overdue ones in a different colour mine is supposed to be purple. But they all show as regular 8pt Tacoma. I did upgrade from Office XP a year or so ago. This is really frustrating because all my Tasks show up on the Calendar, even though I've completed some. Any suggestions? ...

Catalog & Excel formatting
I am using Excel as a data source for a catalog. One of the price fields in Excel is a 'currency' format and is the result of a formula. Publisher imports the field but only displays the figure as 45 instead of £45.00. Anyone know of a solution to this problem ? I can get around it by re-formatting the field as a 'number' format but as most catalogs will involve lists of products with prices I think the 'currency' format should work. Thanks. The best thing to do is do a SAVE AS in CSV (Comma Separated Values) and add a � to the figures and then copy and paste th...

Switchboard Format
How do you open switchboard pages (not the main page) in the design screen so you can edit the buttons, etc. Thanks in advance. -- S Afaik, you don't use design mode for the switchboard, other than making cosmetic changes. I believe all switchboard pages use the same form as a template, so each page will have the same "look-and-feel" as the others. The items placed on those pages are generated at runtime based on the table entries ("SwitchboardItems") that were created via the Switchboard Manager. Tools>DatabaseUtilities>SwitchboardManager. HTH, &qu...

Why my default number format changed
I am using Excel 2007. From time to time, I found the default number format changed when I open an exiting excel file. For example, originally its default format was "General", but when I open the file, found it changed to "Custom". How is it happened? How can I prevent? How can I fix it. Thanks in advance! ...

Copy Posts from one Public Folder to Another
I have an Exchange 2003 Public folder tree that has multiple levels. I have a need for users to Post to one public folder and then have a copy of that Post copied to another public folder automatically. I have set this up for emails (plain forwarding) and it works fine but I have yet been able to get the Posts to duplicate to the other folder. Does anyone have any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Glenn There are two ways to forward email out of a public folder: 1. Used a rule on the public folder. As owner of the public folder go to properties and to the folder assistant ...

convert .123 format to Excel?
Does anyone know how to convert Lotus files in .123 format to Excel? I'm working with Excel XP. Thanks Hi Doug- Open the file in Excel the same as any Excel file, although you may need to change the file type (bottom list in the Open File dialog box). If you don't know the specific Lotus version, just choose "All Files". Once you open the file in Excel go to File>Save As and open the bottom list for Save As Type. Pick the format you want. Hope this helps|:>) "Doug Rainville" wrote: > Does anyone know how to convert Lotus files in .123 format to E...

Text function multinational format
Hi In one of my spreadsheets I used a text function to retrieve year from a cell. It's important to point put that I use Polish version of Excel. The function (in my version) was as follows '=tekst(A1;"rrrr")' - value of A1 is "2009-01-23". The format "rrrr" is an equivalent of "yyyy". I than had to send it to someone with an English version of Excel. Unfortunately, the displayed value was "rrrr" and not "2009". Is it possible to use this function in both versions of Excel? Kind regards IgorM Ron de...

Bar Chart for Text Data
I am trying to construct a bar chart showing students on the x axis and letter grades on the y axis. The data won't graph unless I make another column assiging a numerical value to the letter grade and plot the number. Any ideas? I am using Excel2000. Thanks Why don't you assign numerical descriptions for the letter grades 0 = E/F 1 = D 2 = C 3 = B 4 = A You can create a bar chart using the numerical info. You can then use Ron Bovey's XY Chart Labeler to relable the Y axis. http://www.appspro.com/Utilities/ChartLabeler.htm Check out Jon Peltier's info on a Vertical...

Excel Application Warinings and Errors
Hi I'm trying to treat an Excel warning through VBA. Can this be done? Excel Application errors or warnings don't seem to raise error codes in VBA TIA Phil Most warnings can be suppressed by turning off alerts: Application.DisplayAlerts = False ' your code here Application.DisplayAlerts = True Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft Most Valuable Professional, Excel, 1998 - 2010 Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 08:57:09 -0700, "PPL" <pp1@shawRemoveThis.ca> wrote: >Hi I'm trying to treat an Ex...