format numbers in hexadecimal

I'd like to display numbers in hexadecimal and still be able t
calculate with them.

DEC2HEX() and HEX2DEC() are available as functions (I think they're i
the Analysis ToolPak) but I'd rather avoid adding these to ever
calculation.

That is, for example, I don't want to have to change every formula
"=A1+A2"  to  "=dec2hex(hex2dec(A1)+hex2dex(A2))".

Any idea how to add "Hex" as another numeric format choice, so tha
numbers are displayed directly in hex

stan_shepherd wrote...
>I'd like to display numbers in hexadecimal and still be able to
>calculate with them.
>That is, for example, I don't want to have to change every >formula
"=A1+A2"  to  "=dec2hex(hex2dec(A1)+hex2dex(A2))".

Just plain not possible. Your second formula above is the *ONLY* way t
calculate with hexadecimal numbers in Excel. If this doesn't work fo
you, you're going to have to find different software to use, but n
spreadsheet I'm aware of provides hexadecimal (or octal or binary
number formatting

Resequence figure numbers
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Using automated figure numbers in captions - have deleted a few, and the remaining ones do not automatically renumber. <br><br>How do I force the figure numbers to resequence? In Word 2007 on a Windows computer, it's just the F9 key. What works for Word 2008 on the Mac? Actually, it's F9 in Mac Word as well � or at least it *was* until Apple decided to expropriate that keystroke for Expose :-) You have several options available to you: 1- In System Preferences> Expose & Spaces...

Macro to fill down automatically the number of rows in a spreadsheet
I have a download file in excel that varies in size each week. When I run the macro I have inserted new columns that have formulas. I know how to insert the formulas into the cells on row 2 and know how to make it fill down the sheet by pre-selecting a range but I end up with many extra rows of data after I fill the formula down. How to I count the number of rows and fill down that amount. Column E is the field that is populated all the time so I would want to use that to be the counter. I have formulas is Column A, B, C, J, K, L, M that I would like to copy down from row 2. Any suggesti...

conditional formatting
Is there a way to set conditional formatting to just highlight the Capital letters and not the lower case Ie A not a? Thanks If you mean where there is more in the cell than just the capital letter, no. If the cell would just contain say A, then use =AND(A1<>"",EXACT(A1,UPPER(A1))) -- HTH Bob "elaine1" <elaine1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C2B4DD6A-8E72-4F16-B9C7-4761D85F40E3@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to set conditional formatting to just highlight the Capital > letters and not the lower case Ie A...

Restart Slide Numbers?
Is it possible to restart slide numbers in the middle of a presentation? I am using PowerPoint 2007 on Windows XP. In article <60518E92-9906-4816-8CE7-C9721B0D1933@microsoft.com>, Nina wrote: > Is it possible to restart slide numbers in the middle of a presentation? > > I am using PowerPoint 2007 on Windows XP. Other than removing the automatic numbers and manually adding your own (or writing macro code to do the job), no. ============================== PPT Frequently Asked Questions http://www.pptfaq.com/ PPTools add-ins for PowerPoint http://www.pptool...

How: Setting UTF8 as an application wide text encoding format
XmlTextReader myXmlReader = new XmlTextReader(args[0]); string en = myXmlReader.Encoding.EncodingName; //Console.WriteLine(x); Error: Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object. HOW CAN I GET THE ENCODING NAME ? Basically determine the encoding type. Also How can I "set" an application wide Encoding ? I want all modules and everything to stick to and conform to UTF- 8. But somehow some methods automatically go to UTF-16 xmlguy, 1) What's args[0] in your example? Does it contain any Xml? In that case you first...

formula help
I am working on a spreadsheet and need help developiung a formula (my excel knolwedge is very basic).... In y2, I want a formula that subtracts w2 from x2 but if x2 is > w2 I want y2 to reflect the number in w2. Can anyone help me with that? I will be eternally grateful! I THINK I JUST FIGURED IT OUT!! THE FORMULA I ARRIVED AT IS =IF(X2>W2, W2,SUM(W2,-X2)) DOES THIS SEEM CORRECT? I USED CSE WHEN I ENTERED THE FORMULA You sure that's what you want? You will always get a zero or negative number in Y2 if X2<=W2 =IF(X2>W2,W2,X2-W2) Gord Dibben MS Exc...

cell formatting in excel
all cells in excel 2003 are now accepting only 1 character, alpha or numeric when I go to type 2003 , for instance, the 2 shows, but then when I try to add the 0, the 2 disappears. ...

number of installations/
Sorry for posing a question whose answer may be readily available -- = I've=20 searched all over the MS site and found nothing. . . Anyway, my mom has a copy of MS Office X that she uses at home and and=20 work (i.e. installed from the same CD). I would like to install it on = my=20 computer, too, but she seems to think that the program can only be = legally=20 installed onto two computers; I tried to look into how one can get a = license=20 to install on a third computer, but was only able to find info on volume = licenseing, which seems to be for installation on 5+ computers. I can&...

Format 8.3568 into: 8 years, 4 months, 8 days, 10 hours, 45 minute
Hello, How can I format the number 8.3568 into: 8 years, 4 months, 8 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes and 7 seconds? Thank you! On Feb 11, 3:56=A0pm, igorin <igo...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > > How can I format the number 8.3568 into: > > 8 years, 4 months, 8 days, 10 hours, 45 minutes and 7 seconds? > > Thank you! How does that number relate to the details you've specified? BW Matt http://teachr.blogspot.com To further explain, what follows is the logic behind it: original number: 3,050.232 which equals to: years: 3,0...

Problem with form serial number
I have a table with 3 fields :- ID, Class and FName, My continuous form (which has Fname and Class fields) is bound to a query “qryTblNameClass” The SQL for the query is SELECT tblNameClass.Class, tblNameClass.FName FROM tblNameClass GROUP BY tblNameClass.Class, tblNameClass.SName ORDER BY tblNameClass.Class, tblNameClass.FName; What I would like to do is to group the same class and show its running serial number on the left of the continuous form. I trying putting a textbox on extreme left of the the continuous form detail section to show me the running serial number Eg 1 ...

Can I change a date with no format (20051111) to date format?
Can I change a date with no format ex: 20051111 to a date format ex: 11/11/2005? As long as you have 2 digits for months and days, select the column, do data>text to columns, click next twice, under column data format select date and then select YMD assuming that is the order of the original. Then it will retrun a date based on your regional setting so if in US you should get MDY -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "Rose" <Rose@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:339D3237-0358-422C-A029-711F0D7FE602@microsoft.com... > Can I change a date with no format ex: 20051...

Emails in TEXT format wrap at around 53 characters.
I have noticed that when I send emails in plain text format they end up being wrapped at around the 53rd character on the receiving end. I mailed tests to yahoo, gmail, and msn accounts, and they all get reformatted as above when sent via Outlook. The only version that is not wrapping is the copy in my Outlook Sent folder. I noticed that my Outlook inbox is full of plain text email that others have sent me and they DO NOT wrap at a fixed line width (but are still denoted as being in plain text format). Instead they 'free wrap' to the size of the window. So it does not seem to be ...

Auto Re-Numbering in Excel
Ok.. here's the problem.. I'm re-creating a seniority list for my company.. I need a column to show an employee's 'seniority number'.. (ex, the employee thats been with our company the longest would be assigned #1.. second longest #2.. etc..).. the problem is when someone quits or retires I have to manually change all the seniority numbers beneith them.. is there any way that Excel can do this automatically for me.. for administrative purposes.. I can arrange employees by hire date.. however our union wants each employees seniority number listed Thanks for ...

Loseing Formatting in Workspace
When I open a worksheet in a workspace, if I have formatted the sheet with then Freeze Pane option it will not be their in the Workspace. Some settings aren't saved in a workspace. There's information in the following MSKB: Split or Frozen Panes Not Saved in Workspace http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=113803 Bob wrote: > When I open a worksheet in a workspace, if I have > formatted the sheet with then Freeze Pane option it will > not be their in the Workspace. -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

Trouble importing Ms-Word booklet with moderately advanced formatting
I'm having problems getting Ms-Publisher 2003 to properly import a half-size booklet from Ms-Word 2003. Rather than keep beating my head against a wall (or ordering some "smart pills"), I thought I would ask people with a lot more experience than I have if Ms-Publisher can do the kinds of import involved. The booklet has the following characteristics: * half size (each page is 4.25"w x 5.5"h) * duplexed * paragraph shading style * page borders * page numbers * superscript style * multiple fonts * compressed font * "Space after" paragraphs * multiple font siz...

EFT Payables remit doc number
Client is having an issue where the REMITXXXX number that is assigned during the EFT payment process is not getting pulled correctly. The Number that gets assigned is REMIT000000000000001. This is causing duplicate document number problems. the correct number should be REMIT000000000012735 Any thoughts on how to fix this in GP 9.0? Thanks ...

Make pivotchart formatting stick after pivottable refresh.
After setting custom pivotchart patterns the patterns are reset to default after underlying pivottable is refreshed. How can we make the custom patterns remain in place after pivottable refresh? Hi, Known bug: See MSKB article, XL2000: Changing a PivotChart Removes Series Formatting (Q215904) . http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q215904 Cheers Andy larry garka wrote: > After setting custom pivotchart patterns the patterns are reset to default > after underlying pivottable is refreshed. How can we make the custom > patterns remain in place after pivottab...

Relabeling axis numbers
Greetings: I purchased Excel 2007 for Dummies and got hoodwinked again. As usual (does this happen to you?) the problem I have is not discussed nor found in the book. I have a relatively simple chart with time data portrayed in YEARS on the X axis. When I create the chart it shows 1 through 27, the number of years well enough buy I can't find the editing feature to portray those numbers as the years in which the data occurred. I have discovered and been through all the editing features I can find but none of them will accomplish what I want. Has anyone been through this before and...

Formatting Dates in a sheet imported from ACCESS
I have imported a report from ACCESS 97 into EXCEL 97 and this worked fine. However, when I tried to format the dates in EXCEL, nothing happens. I can format other cells, just the existing date cells won't change unless I retype the information. Seems almost like the format is locked?? Please advise how I can format these cells. Thank You, Orlando The dates are being treated as text. There are some techniques here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataEntry03.html that you could try, on a copy of your workbook, to convert the text dates to real dates. Orlando Omizzolo wrote: >...

format inplied decimal point
I am importing a fixed length text file containing numeric data with an implied decimal point. I want to format the worksheet column to include the decimal point. E.g. text file '000012345', worksheet column '0000123.45' I can format the column as numeric to include the decimal point and divide the value by 100 to get the precision. I am not sure how to define the calculation for the column. I'm assuming that dividing by 100 is the easiest way to do this. Let me know if there is an easier way. Thanks, Tom If you're doing this by hand, you can find an empty cell...

Copy/Move Email to Calendar formatting
I use these functions every day. Annoyance is that most of the email text comes over with lots of extra line spacing. Other than pasting into Word first and stripping the extra, is there something in Outlook I'm missing? Using Office & Outlook 2003 on an Exchange server. Julie No, you aren't missing anything. The message body uses HTML and the appointment uses RTF. Are you dragging the message to the calendar or opening the appointment and copying/pasting the message body into it? I tend to see better results with the copy and paste, although it also depends on th...

How can I copy the formatted value and paste as a new value(not the original value with formatting)?
Here are the examples about the problem which I am facing. eg1. The original value in the cell: 4/23/04 Formatted cell(DD/MM/YYYY): 23/04/2004 (In this case, the value is still 4/23/04) Expected: the value and the outlook are also "23/04/2004" eg2. The original value in the cell: 4.332 Formatted cell(truncate with 2 digits): 4.33 What I am now going to do is changing the value of cells with new format because a new system of my computer need to extract the value from the excel with specified format. But changing the format in excel doesn't really change the value of the cell. ...

Is there a way to SUM based on formatting of a number?
I have a column of $ formatted numbers. Some of them are bold and the others are not. I would like to Sum the column based on whether the bold formatting is applied or not. Is there a way to do this? (doesn't appear to be) If there isn't, then let me explain what I am looking for ultimately. I want to have two totals for this column of $. One that includes everything and one that includes everything that isn't "marked". Bolding a cell is a really easy and visual way of marking a cell. Is there some other way I could mark a cell and is visible and I can conditionall...

formatting cells
Hi, I am trying to format cells that contain dollars in millions and make it decimal. i.e $1,500,000 would show $1.5 and the head of the table would say "Dollar Value in Millions" any ideas? Thanks Custom Format $0.0,, That's two commas after second 0 Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 13:14:06 -0700 (PDT), pat67 <pbuscio@comcast.net> wrote: >Hi, I am trying to format cells that contain dollars in millions and >make it decimal. i.e $1,500,000 would show $1.5 and the head of the >table would say "Dollar Value in Millions" ...

multiple SO invoice formats
I have a client that currentlyhas one department printing invoices from SO with the department's logo. Another department now needs to print invoices from SO using the same invoice format but with their own logo. Complicating the situation even further, they now have a second COMPANY database. They need to print another set of invoices from SO using the new company's logo. So I need 3 versions of this form. Is this even possible in RW? I'm assuming one modified report exists for the current invoice layout. Can I have 3 modified versions of one report? Any sug...