Format a single column into a row

I have a collection of column headers and simply want to move them into a
single Row up and down.

thanks

Hi

select your headers and copy them
choose a blank cell in the row you want to paste them into and choose
edit / paste special - transpose - OK

delete the original range if you want to

cheers
JulieD

"shepbinker" <shepbinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a collection of column headers and simply want to move them into a
> single Row up and down.
>
> thanks

0
JulieD1 (2295)
2/3/2005 4:58:11 PM
shep

They are already in a row(sideways).

What you want is for them to be in one column(up and down).

Edit>Copy.

Select a column and Edit>Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc.

Note: you cannot paste to any part of the original row.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:55:06 -0800, "shepbinker"
<shepbinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I have a collection of column headers and simply want to move them into a
>single Row up and down.
>
>thanks

0
Gord
2/3/2005 10:16:14 PM
Thanks JulieD this did help...I knew it was simple just couldn't think of
Transpose when I needed too.  :-)

"JulieD" wrote:

> Hi
>
> select your headers and copy them
> choose a blank cell in the row you want to paste them into and choose
> edit / paste special - transpose - OK
>
> delete the original range if you want to
>
> cheers
> JulieD
>

> "shepbinker" <shepbinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a collection of column headers and simply want to move them into a
> > single Row up and down.
> >
> > thanks

0
shepbink (2)
2/4/2005 7:21:04 PM
Thanks very much.... I had done it before but was just drawing a blank at a
time I needed it.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> shep
>
> They are already in a row(sideways).
>
> What you want is for them to be in one column(up and down).
>
> Edit>Copy.
>
> Select a column and Edit>Paste Special>Transpose>OK>Esc.
>
> Note: you cannot paste to any part of the original row.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>
> On Thu, 3 Feb 2005 08:55:06 -0800, "shepbinker"
> <shepbinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >I have a collection of column headers and simply want to move them into a
> >single Row up and down.
> >
> >thanks

0
shepbink (2)
2/4/2005 7:21:06 PM
you're welcome

"shepbink" <shepbink@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks JulieD this did help...I knew it was simple just couldn't think of
> Transpose when I needed too.  :-)
>
> "JulieD" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> select your headers and copy them
>> choose a blank cell in the row you want to paste them into and choose
>> edit / paste special - transpose - OK
>>
>> delete the original range if you want to
>>
>> cheers
>> JulieD
>>

>> "shepbinker" <shepbinker@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I have a collection of column headers and simply want to move them into
>> > single Row up and down.
>> >
>> > thanks

0
JulieD1 (2295)

Formatting Problem #2
I have a workbook with 9 worksheets. All but one of them are used to track different company projects, one is used for summary: various counts and sums. On the summary sheets, the individual project are separated by two blank rows. The summary data was formatted with borders. I need to remove the borders, which is easy to do. The problem is that when all the borders are removed, vertical "lines" remain that span many rows, between several columns. Removed gridlines, with no effect. These are not drawn objects. Does anyone have an idea how to remove this? Thanks Dudley Could th...

How can I delete a list from a column?
Hello all -Excel 2003- I have a column L that call a list. When I want to insert a new column in M, this M columns takes also the list of L. I have now the same list in L and M. How can I delete the list from M? Thanks a lot. Select the column and Edit>Clear>Contents. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 11:20:51 +0200, "Casrlos A." <carlin334@msn.com> wrote: >Hello all -Excel 2003- > >I have a column L that call a list. When I want to insert a new column in >M, this M columns takes also the list of L. >I have now the same list in L a...

Finding templates and formats
Can you please tell me, where can I find a template or the format of a resignation letter? With much appreciation. Come on Mary...let's see you find a template for this poster :-D DavidF "mandm" <mandm@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:724ADDB2-F04E-4AA7-AD35-59BD7CF9ECE7@microsoft.com... > Can you please tell me, where can I find a template or the format of a > resignation letter? With much appreciation. Here's an idea, http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/deadkennedys/takethisjobandshoveit.html -- Ron "DavidF" <Nope@nospam.com>...

can a column have diffent width?
I have dates in column A and 20 rows down or so, I want to have names in column A and numbers in column B but column A must be wider to accept the names. I want the dates to be a certain width say 64 pixels and the names to be 336 pixels,can this be done? thanks No, a column has one width from top to bottom best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "dave" <spammer@nospammer.net> wrote in message news:kdLGf.8425$bW6.4202@bignews7.bellsouth.net... >I have dates in column A and 20 rows down or so, I want to have names in >...

Leopard Upgrade -> File Format Not Valid -> every file is corrupted??? = I am up the creek
Hoping someone has an idea on this one. I recently upgraded a clients small network (4 comps) to OS X 10.5 The machines were a mix of 10.3 and 10.2 machines. I cloned all machines to ext hard drives and did an erase and install of Leopard on each. While there were certainly a few issues around the upgrade, mostly everything went fine...then the client tried to open his excel files, consisting of client databases and other essential information. No bueno. The excel files were stripped of their extensions at some point and finder calls them "unix executable files." Excel will not...

insering rows with vb
Hi This piece of code inserts a new row on the current worksheet, above the active cell. Private Sub CommandButton1_Click() ActiveCell.Resize(1, 1).EntireRow.Insert End Sub Anyone know how this can be expanded to insert a new row in exactly the same position on worksheet 2? Many Thanks katie Katie, Here it goes: Worksheets("Sheet2").Rows(ActiveCell.Row).EntireRow.Insert HTH, Nikos "katie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:11d2901c4423d$9f7d6510$a601280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > This piece of code i...

Table / Column descriptions
Is there ANYWHERE that you can find what the column names in each table represent ? Such as there is a column in the SOP10200 table that is PURCHSTAT. Some of them are a 1 and some are a 2. What does this represent ? Where can we find out a detailed list of what these columns are in the tables ? Why does MS not provide this ? Is it a secret or is it just because they dont even know ? This is VERY frustrating in trying to troubleshoot Great Plains .... or shoud I say Great PAINS !! Accolade has been the best so far, just not as detailed as one would need for accurate tro...

Excel: Ignoring Specific data in a column
I have Excel data (raw) that I am importing into an Excel sheet which has my formulas). I am trying to add up a column of numbers, but some of the fields have the letter's "N/A" Presently I am using formula =sum(A10:A15000), but it is not working due to the "N/A". How can I get Excel to ignore the "N/A" and just add the cell's that do have the numbers. For reference, the numbers do have decimal points (xx.xx) Thanks, -Avi If the N/A are just text, then select the column and use find/replace to make them all zeros. If the N/A are the result of fu...

Time formatting issues
I am nearly finished working on my latest project, a data entry GUI in VBA (2003), and have run into difficulties dealing with time values. Brief project background: It is a simple data entry form which takes various bits of flight data and enters them onto a spreadsheet. The key entries I'm having trouble with are 'Time' values. Two fields are automatically populated with the appropriate 'Departure' and 'Arrival' times based on a 'ListIndex' run during initialization, which allows values for the 'Flight Numbers'. An 'If...Then' stat...

Multiple Column Sorting
I've been reading online about sorting multiple columns and I'm confused. Selecting one column to sort also selects all the other columns as well, at least in Excel 2000 and XP. I didn't see any difference in selecting one column or using the "Then by" boxes, in fact, the "Then by" choices didn't work. If the first column sorted in ascending order, and I chose to sort the second and third columns to sort in descending order, Excel still sorted all three columns in ascending order. If Excel sorts the all the columns together by default, why use the "Then...

conditional formatting?
I have two columns....some of the cells in Column A differ from the cells in column B...how do I hilight the cells in column A that are different from the ones in column B? thanks! Jo Either CF/ Cell Value Is/ not equal to/ =B1 Or CF/ Formula Is/ =A1<>B1 -- David Biddulph "Joann" <Joann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FF801B4-6011-4132-942C-94892781C20C@microsoft.com... >I have two columns....some of the cells in Column A differ from the cells >in > column B...how do I hilight the cells in column A that are different from...

Number Format #14
Is there a way I can format a number so that significant 0's and a letter are conditional? I currently use: ?0"g" ?0"s" ?0"c" - which formats like so: 100000 = 10g 00s 00c 100010 = 10g 00s 10c 1000 = 0g 10s 00c What I wish to have is a code that formats like so: 101010 = 10g 10s 10c 10000 = 10s 10 = 10c 100010 = 10g 10c Is this possible? -- LoganStallworth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LoganStallworth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27561 View this thre...

date format #32
i have a sheet where in some cells the date are in ddmmyy format along with text & in some cells mmddyy format along with text. is there any command to change all in mmddyy format On Sat, 20 Aug 2005 03:40:03 -0700, "Ankur" <Ankur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i have a sheet where in some cells the date are in ddmmyy format along with >text & in some cells mmddyy format along with text. > >is there any command to change all in mmddyy format You need to describe more precisely exactly what is in the cells, and how one can tell the difference betwee...

Column Labels #5
I have a coworker who changed the column labels from letters to numbers. She does not know how she did it. Does anyone know how to change them back to letters. The columns are numbered in all of the worksheets that she opens. Stephanie tools>options>general>settings>ric1 uncheck -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Stephanie" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3d7701c52341$aceff2e0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > I have a coworker who changed the column labels from > letters to numbers. She does not know how she did it. Do...

Excel default date format
1) The default date format for Excel is "21-Mar" when I enter date recognized data. This is unusable for me, I need the year displayed. How do I change the default date format to display the year. 2) With default also, Excel sometimes requires "=" in equations and sometimes not; i.e., if I enter a '-' it converts the cell to an equation. How do i stop this so that it only makes equations when I enter '='. 3) How do I get help on Excel inconsistancies like the above in Excel documentation anywhere? mjk #1. If I type in the date that includes the ye...

Highlighting text using conditional formatting
Hi All I'm trying to highlight certain text in a list - namely all text that end with river, stream or creek. I've been trying to use conditional formatting but for some reason I can't seem to get it to go (I would have thought * wildcard would have done the trick but no such luck). Ideally you would have a different colour for rivers, creeks and streams. The list is like this Grey River Brash Creek Fred Stream Hell Stream Roger River Turd Creek and so on (about 3000 entries) Any ideas about how you can do this? Feedback appreciated. Thanks Mike Try this... Select the text ...

summing number of 'y's in a filtered column
Basically I have a spreadsheet which is filtered by column R and I wan to sum the number of 'Y's in column P based only on the visibl filtered table rather than hidden rows. Now I know the subtotal worksheet function will ignore hidden rows however it does not seem to be able to total up the number of 'Y's i the range of cells. The count function would sum up the number of 'y' but it counts the hidden columns as far as I know. Is there some other function which would allow me to sum the number o 'y's ignoring hidden rows -- neowo ---------------------------...

display last value in a column
I would like to display the last value unequal to zero recorded in a column in a specific cell. For example, A1 is to display the last value unequal to zero recorded in column B. The number of entries and values in column B changes frequently; therefore the last value in column B is in a different row. Thanks. -- Mike Try this... Assuming there are no logical TRUE entries in the range. =LOOKUP(1E100,1/B2:B100,B2:B100) -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP "Mike" <Mike@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DFFCBDB0-3632-46AC-A3AB-073E6F0D475...

ISBN #'s starting w/ "0" are deleted, how to format so "0" stays put
Hello, I need to know how to format a list of cells that contain ISBN #'s so that when an ISBN starting with a "0" the zero stays. I am working w/ Excel 97. I have tried to format the cell to "Text" but then the zeros are deleted. What I am doing is copying and pasting from another spreadsheet. So, the ISBN looks like this at first: 0-889658-27-8 Then I say "Replace "-" with nothing. So then I get: 889658278 So, what I want is: 0889658278 Got me? Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! I suggest formatting the cells as text *prior* to pa...

How do I select every nth row?
Hi I have a long list of data. Every fourth row contains the sort of data (ID, name, points...) Unfortunately the data is all in one long column. Can someone tell me how to select out every fourth row? Maybe something that can give me the row number modulo 4? My overall goal is to move this data into an Access table, but I'm having trouble because of the format. Thanks. Ray. If your data starts in A2 and you want A2, A6, A10 and so on, use a help column adjacent and next to the first cell with data use =MOD(ROW(1:1),4)=1 copy down if you want A5, A9, A13 use =MOD(ROW(1:1),4)=0 ...

If Count is not in a certain range, delete Rows
I have a spreadsheet that is 59752 x 2, with the one column Contact ID A and the other column Contact Link ID. It is like an instant messaging system. It looks something like this: 1 2 1 3 1 15 2 1 2 15 I want to count by different values in column A, and any count that is not within one of several ranges, those rows get deleted. So if the range is 3-5 contacts, then I want to keep the set of 1s, but delete the set of 2s. My ranges are 4-5 contacts, 30-41 contacts, and 100+ contacts. I am also brand new to macros, but I have experience with some other coding ...

macro to apply only to even number rows and NonBlank cells
I want a macro to be useable only on even number rows, AND NonBlankcells. I need something like an If Then statement? Like If ActiveCell.Row _______ Then Exit Sub? Thank you for your help. Tonso if activecell.row mod 2 = 0 then 'it's an even row if isempty(activecell.value) then 'it's empty Billy wrote: > > I want a macro to be useable only on even number rows, AND > NonBlankcells. I need something like an If Then statement? Like If > ActiveCell.Row _______ Then Exit Sub? Thank you for your help. > > Tonso -- Dave Peters...

How can I delete rows from Pivot Tables in Excel 2000 as in 97
I was able to delete multiple unwanted rows from Excel 97 Pivot Tables. Now I find I can only delete rows individually by untagging them in Excel 2000 Pivot Table. This is far too time consuming... Does anyone have a faster Solution ...

How do I sort data in column B to align with data in column A?
Im fairly green to Excel but what I am after is I want to be able to sort a range of codes in Column B to basically move and realign to the same row as the data that is in Colmn A eg Start Column A Column B R F G B B H H R F G Finish Column A Column B R R G G B B H H F F Piece a cake. Delete columm B, then copy column A and paste into Column B "Jephri1" wrote: > Im fairly green to Excel but what I am after is I...

How do I sort a column consisting of fractions, decimals, and who.
I need to sort products by the horsepower. Horsepower can be a fraction, decimal or whole number. For example, I need 1/100 to come before 1/10, 1/125 to come before 1/12, 1/10 to come before 1.0, 3/4 to come before 1...etc. Why don't you use the Fraction format under Number format? That way you only enter the decimal value and it will be represented by it's fraction, but the sorter won't be confused. Another option is to use this formula: =IF(ISERR(SEARCH("/",E8)),VALUE(E8),LEFT(E8,SEARCH("/",E8)-1)/RIGHT(E8,SEARCH("/",E8)-1)) Where E8 is ...