Forgotten Password to Unprotect Workbook/sheet

Is there a way to unprotect a workbook and/or worksheet in Excel 2002/2003 if
the original password is forgotten???

0
Brandon (91)

Visit JE McGimpsey's site:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

But you must promise us you are not doing this for nefarious reasons.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:07:03 -0800, "Brandon"
<Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>Is there a way to unprotect a workbook and/or worksheet in Excel 2002/2003 if
>the original password is forgotten???

0
Gord
2/26/2005 12:20:05 AM
It's OK, John has amended it such that if the code detects nefarious
intentions it will delete all data within the workbook and then save the
workbook, so no worries on that score  <g>

--
Regards
              Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL 97/00/02/03

> See John McGimpsey's site for info and methods.
>
> http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html
>
> But you must promise us you are not doing this for nefarious reasons.
>

> Gord Dibben Excel MVP
>

> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 16:07:03 -0800, "Brandon"
> <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> >Is there a way to unprotect a workbook and/or worksheet in Excel
2002/2003 if
> >the original password is forgotten???

0
ken.wright (2489)
2/26/2005 12:25:38 AM
Happy to hear that Ken.

I can sleep better now knowing I have not become a co-conspirator in a
criminal enterprise<g>

Gord

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:25:38 -0000, "Ken Wright"
<ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:

>It's OK, John has amended it such that if the code detects nefarious
>intentions it will delete all data within the workbook and then save the
>workbook, so no worries on that score  <g>

0
Gord
2/26/2005 12:37:16 AM
No worries, gentleman. This was a spreadsheet I created awhile ago, and used
for a contract I was on, and haven't used since.  I am on a new contract
where this can be utilized again, but needs to be customized.  I can't
customize it without unprotecting the workbook, which I initially protected
so end-users couldn't mess it up.  But, the password used to unprotect it was
specific to that company I worked with, and I have since forgotten the
passwords I used back then.  Thanks for the help!!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

> Happy to hear that Ken.
>
> I can sleep better now knowing I have not become a co-conspirator in a
> criminal enterprise<g>
>

> Gord
>
> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:25:38 -0000, "Ken Wright"
> <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>
> >It's OK, John has amended it such that if the code detects nefarious
> >intentions it will delete all data within the workbook and then save the
> >workbook, so no worries on that score  <g>

0
Brandon (91)
2/26/2005 7:57:01 PM
LOL - Pay us no mind Brandon, and i'm assuming you got sorted yes?

--

"Brandon" <Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> No worries, gentleman. This was a spreadsheet I created awhile ago, and
used
> for a contract I was on, and haven't used since.  I am on a new contract
> where this can be utilized again, but needs to be customized.  I can't
> customize it without unprotecting the workbook, which I initially
protected
> so end-users couldn't mess it up.  But, the password used to unprotect it
was
> specific to that company I worked with, and I have since forgotten the
> passwords I used back then.  Thanks for the help!!
>

> "Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
> > Happy to hear that Ken.
> >
> > I can sleep better now knowing I have not become a co-conspirator in a
> > criminal enterprise<g>
> >

> > Gord
> >
> > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:25:38 -0000, "Ken Wright"
> > <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
> >
> > >It's OK, John has amended it such that if the code detects nefarious
> > >intentions it will delete all data within the workbook and then save
the
> > >workbook, so no worries on that score  <g>

0
ken.wright (2489)
2/26/2005 10:11:58 PM
Brandon

Just pulling your padonger as Ken points out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 11:57:01 -0800, "Brandon"
<Brandon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>No worries, gentleman. This was a spreadsheet I created awhile ago, and used
>for a contract I was on, and haven't used since.  I am on a new contract
>where this can be utilized again, but needs to be customized.  I can't
>customize it without unprotecting the workbook, which I initially protected
>so end-users couldn't mess it up.  But, the password used to unprotect it was
>specific to that company I worked with, and I have since forgotten the
>passwords I used back then.  Thanks for the help!!
>

>"Gord Dibben" wrote:
>
>> Happy to hear that Ken.
>>
>> I can sleep better now knowing I have not become a co-conspirator in a
>> criminal enterprise<g>
>>

>> Gord
>>
>> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:25:38 -0000, "Ken Wright"
>> <ken.wright@NOSPAMntlworld.com> wrote:
>>
>> >It's OK, John has amended it such that if the code detects nefarious
>> >intentions it will delete all data within the workbook and then save the
>> >workbook, so no worries on that score  <g>

0
Gord
2/26/2005 11:55:29 PM
:confused: Hello All,

I've inheirited some workbooks that to my displeasure are passworded
The original owner doesn't remember the passwords.
I've downloaded allinternalpasswords.xls but don't know how that'
supposed to work.
I've downloaded and "added in" password.xla, but when I try to open th
passworded workbook I get nowhere. It says that the workbook i
unprotected, but it's not.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Ala

--
alanken
alankeno's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=2839

If the allinternalpasswords.xls file is based on the code at J.E. McGimpsey's
site:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html

Then this will break the passwords set by:
tools|protection|protect worksheet
or
tools|Protection|protect workbook

It won't break the passwords applied via:
file|Saveas|Tools...
or passwords to the VBA project.

But J.E. does have some notes that may point you in the right direction for this
level of protection:
http://mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

--

Dave Peterson
0

Outlook 2000 doesn't remember email password
I cannot get Outlook 2000 to remember my email password, with the consequence that I have to send and receive emails manually. I was directed to Microsoft Knowledge Base Article - 259416 which in turn prescribes an edit of HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Protected Storage System Provider. The problem is that that file does not seem to exist on my comptuer (WIndows XP Home). I would welcome advice. ...

Increasing # of rows in excel sheet
Hi all.. I usually import data from other programs such as SAP into excel and face the problem of excel running out of Rows.. is there a way that I can increase the total number of rows in my worksheet or any other solution possible to my problem. Thanks Rehan Hi no. 65536 rows is the maximum "Rehan" wrote: > Hi all.. > > I usually import data from other programs such as SAP > into excel and face the problem of excel running out of > Rows.. is there a way that I can increase the total > number of rows in my worksheet or any other solution > possibl...

open an excel sheet in works
Is there a way to download an excel sheet and open in works or works spreadsheet? Not that I know of. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "mike" <mikeext249@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:754C543F-E2EE-4B4F-9955-58682BCB14D9@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to download an excel sheet and open in works or works spreadsheet? ...

creating links inside a workbook.
I would like to put a working table of contents into my workbook. In other words, I would like to list all of the sheet names on a master page and allow the user to jump to that page simply by clicking the page's name. Any suggestions? Please and Thank You!!!! Use the Hyperlink feature. Just do a Insert> HyperLink>. Choose place in this document. Then select the tab you want to link to. "Angelica" <Angelica@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:94B5487B-A816-4BE3-B43A-701863DCFE76@microsoft.com... >I would like to put a working table of content...

Embed Sheet
I am working on a sheet with approx 3000 entries, The first colum stores the company name, second stores customer number and so on. company can have many customer numbers which causes alot of compan name repitition in the first column. Is it possible to embed this shee into another one and use a combo box filled with all the company name to access the specific areas of the embedded sheet? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou, Johnny -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi, I think this sounds do-able - first look at Chip Pearson's page: http://www.cpearson.c...

Enter Network Password dialog box
Since we upgraded to Office 2000, I receive the "Enter Network Password" dialog box every time email is received. The server, user name, and password are all filled in. I have the option to OK or Cancel. Selecting either will close the dialog box and bring up the Microsoft Outlook new mail has arrived notification. How can I get the "Enter Network Password" dialog box to go away? If numerous emails come in, the dialog box pops up for each one. Chris Bauer ...

shared workbook issue
Hello All - I am using Excel 2007 and have a shared workbook that is also password protected. One user of the workbook attempted to save changes and received an error message that reads: "Caution: You are attempting to save a shared workbook that is also protected with a password. Portions of the file, including the change history, will not be encrypted. To help ensure the security of your file, unshare the workbook or delete the change history from the document. Do you want to save this file?" I would like to keep this as a shared workbook, so I attempted to delete t...

copy data from one worksheet to identical sheet in different workbook
I want to essentially sync the data between 2 identical worksheets in different workbooks. Essentially, I want to import and replace data in the second sheet with data from the first, is there a simple way to do this without deleting the worksheet and then copying the new sheet into the workbook? Thanks You can right-click on your source-sheetname tab, the shortmenu will reflect Copy/MoveSheet.... Select it and make 2 other choices: 1) Check to Create Copy box at bottom 2) From dropdown box at top of screen select an existing open workbook or select new-workbook. OK HTH "a...

Smaller workbooks?
Hi. My Excel 2000 workbook has just increased in size from 1mb to just under 8mb !! I have added a few formulae and a long VBA macro. The workbook has 14 sheets, no graphics and quite a bit of conditional formatting. The VBA adds formulae to the various sheets on an 'as required' basis - if 30 rows are needed, then the macro adds formulae to about 20 columns on 30 rows. Thats all it does. I just did a bit more work to it and the size jumped.... Any suggestions on how to get it smaller again? Thanks. Jim Hi Jim, Does Ctrl+End properly identify your last cell or is it way down...

password for workbook
Hello, How can i set the workbook so that when opened, a dialogu appears asking for password to open up the workbook before being abl to read or Read/write anything.... Thanks a lot From Joh -- Neo ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Neo1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3032 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=53146 One simple way, although the password input is not masked '----------------------------------------------------------------- Private Sub Workbook_Open() '...

Office Document Connection
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel No matter how many times I click "save my password in keychain" it always asks me for my password when I open up the document connection. Additionally, when I click "new file" , then edit the file and save it does not save to the location I was on the SharePoint site but locally. Other than that great work, this saves me so much time, I can't wait to have it fully integrated in Office! There might be a problem with the Keychain database. Open Keychain Access, then click on Keychain>Keych...

moving to end of sheet
I know that "ctrl-end" should take me to the end of a worksheet. Sometimes, however, it takes me beyond the last row where data is entered, sometimes many blank rows beyond. I've tried deleting those blank rows, making sure there is nothing hidden inthose rows, no conditional formatting, etc., but that doesn't work. If I cut and paste the rows with data into a new sheet, that works (i.e., "ctrl-end" takes me to the last cell with data in it). Is there a way to do this without the cut and paste workaround? Thanks. There are instructions here for resetti...

Searching a Differnt worksheet in the same workbook.
So what I need to do is have a colum D that searches Sheet1, column E for a certain text string entered in a different sheet (either 2 or 3) column D. If they match I want the cell in column E, sheet 2 or 3 to return a text of "Found" and if there is no match I want the cell to be blank. I've been looking in these forums and have a feeling it can be done, I just can't figure out how. Thanks. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Dear Cre...

Enter Network Password #4
I keep getting a dialogue box entitled Enter Network Password pop up for each of my mail accounts. while running Outlook XP (fully service packed) under XP Pro. It lists mail server, User and password (shown as *******) and an unticked `save this password in your password list' box. Needless to say, ticking this does not prevent the event from recurring fairly frequently. Has anyone come across a solution to this? I have seen the problem on many sites but with no solutions. TIA Toddy ...

Excel spread sheet
Why random data is replaced with a number symbol. Date entered as 2/2/2010 but ######## shows up in the cell. iCould be a number of reasons: First try either widening the column or reducing the font size. Come back if that doesn't work "hondo" wrote: > Why random data is replaced with a number symbol. Date entered as 2/2/2010 > but ######## shows up in the cell. ...

Network Password entered each time Outlook starts
I have Office XP Pro with Outlook 2002 and EVERY time I start up Outlook it asks me to enter my Network Password. I do and check the box to remember my password but is shows up again next time. Anyone know how to get it to accept the password? I had Office 97 and Outlook 97 before and never had this problem. I have already installed Office XP Service Packs 1 & 2. brunyon@knoxy.net If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, then see if this article addresses your problem OL2002: The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a POP...

shared workbook opens slowly
I have a workbook that uses conditional formating etc has 60 worksheets one for each week and 8 for info for drop down lists and the size is 10 mb. I have shared it via a windows 2003 severer but it takes along time to open any thoughts as to what I may have done wrong Since you have 60 worksheets with conditional formatting and the same is used by many persons in sharing mode will make excel to open the file slowly. Try to Remove unwanted worksheets from your workbook and on daily basis or two days once Remove the sharing and give Cntrl+S and apply the sharing. While doing ...

Saving workbook #2
We are sharing some excel books on netwrok by using several "my briefcase" linking to one master file. We cannot modify the file and update to the master file at the same time - as the computer refuse to merge them together. Is there any method that it can go real multiuser. Hi you may try the following: sub save_with_cell() Dim fname fname = worksheets("sheet1").range("A1").value fname = fname & ".xls" ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:=fname end sub You should add some error checking to this (does the files exist, etc.) -- Regards Fr...

Insert sheet, move to end, rename with cell data.
I've spent most of my day trying to ask VB to do this for me, but don't know how to communicate it correctly. I have column A in "List"(Sheet1) with 150 entries. I want to create 150 sheets with Sheet numbers of 2-151. However, I would like for the tabs to read what the appropiate cell in "List" says.... ie if +++ (column A) ___ Fun Not Fun Cool +++ was my column, I would like the first four tabs to read "List" (my original sheet), "Fun", "Not Fun", and "Cool". Then they would appear in Microsoft Visual Basic as Sheet1(List...

Exchange/Outlook security problems Password What??
Hello everyone, I hope one of you Exchange/Outlook users out there can help solve this problem. This has all started out by needing to turn off the "Something's looking at your email addresses" nag box in Outlook 2003, in order to get a macro written in Outlook 2003 to work properly. According to what I have read and hopefully understood from Microsoft's support documents ("Customizing the Outlook Security Features Administrative Package" is that these nag boxes can be bypassed with the Outlook Security Features Administrative Package. I have set up a form ...

Excel 2k opens 2 sheets within same window
We have excel2k with sp3 on win2k pro with sp4. my problem is when i open 2 excel sheet both appear within the same window. if i have to switch between the 2 sheets i have to minimise 1 n maximise the next. what i need is to open both the excel sheets in 2 separate excel windows. how do i do this? please advice Hi, Tools>Options>View Under the "show" section, make sure that the "Windows in Taskbar" option is checked. This should solve your problem. It might be slightly different in Excel 2000, but the same options. Hope this helps Sunil Jayakumar "sp...

Password Recovery Tool ? ? ?
Hi All Ive got a Workbook that I need to recover the password for the Sheet Protection....Any Suggestion on the Best password recovery tool to use, would be greatly appreciated ! ! ! Thanks Dodge Dodge, Make the sheet you want to remove the protection from the active sheet and then run this subroutine. It will "come" back with teh message that an password is found. Click OK and the protection from the sheet will be removed. Sub PasswordBreaker_Sheet() 'Author unknown 'Breaks worksheet password protection. Dim i As Integer, j As Integer, k As Integer ...

How do I link cells, sheet to sheet, to recognize row deletions?
In Office XP - Excel - I want to copy a column from one sheet to another sheet in the same workbook. I want the copied links to recognize row deletions and insertions when I change the source sheet. When I use the Copy, Paste Special, Paste Links command, the linked sheet does not recognize a row deletion in the source sheet. Instead, the linked sheet displays a #Ref message in the cell related to the deleted row. One way to try .. Assume the source col to be linked is col A in Sheet1, A1 down In Sheet2 ------------- Put in any starting cell, say A1: =OFFSET(INDIRECT("Sheet1!A1&qu...

Print Workbook
Hi, I've looked around and seen one answer to this that suggests a macro with a button, but I don't want to go down that route. So - how do I make excel print the whole workbook when print is selected? I have a workbook with 3 worksheets, and the users will need to print off all 3 to return to me. Rather than risk them print off only one and return that, if it auto prints all 3 I should guarantee that i get all 3 returned. Thanks, You might try this. Put this code in your workbook's ThisWorkbook module: Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Worksheets....

2005 password problem
Is there a way to reset a password on a money 2005 file? I recently changed a file from MSN passport back to a money 2005 password. The change worked ok, but now when I enter the new password it says it is invalid??? What would be the point of having a password on a file that was easily reset? If you could easily reset it, so could the boogeyman you were scared of in the first place. Per chance are you trying to open the file from a recently reinstalled version or a different machine or similar? "dog" <dog@bellsouth.net> wrote in message news:8VA0e.51687$6g7.48107@bignew...