Force a new line in a cell with "wrap text" on

How can I put a newline command in a cell formula?  I've
tried using Alt-Enter, but it doesn't work.

Why would you want to wrap a formula? Do you mean text, or an actual
formula?

"DRARetired" <draretired@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> How can I put a newline command in a cell formula?  I've
> tried using Alt-Enter, but it doesn't work.

In a Worksheet use   CHAR(10)
in a macro use   CHR(10)

Alt+Enter automatically turns on Cell Wrap.   This won't
so you may have to format the cells yourself.
   Format,  cells,  Alignment (tab),  turn on wrap cells
---
HTH,

"DRARetired" <draretired@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:edf201c43d16$e7f8e5c0$a001280a@phx.gbl...
> How can I put a newline command in a cell formula?  I've
> tried using Alt-Enter, but it doesn't work.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
5/18/2004 8:57:59 PM
The text display of a formula.
my formula is:
=TEXT(Calendar+(ROW(D2)-ROW(Calendar))*7/2+(COLUMN(D2)-
COLUMN(Calendar)),"d")& NEWLINE OFFSET(List!$C$1,(ROW(D2)-
ROW(Calendar))*7/2+(COLUMN(D2)-COLUMN(Calendar)),0)

The the first line is a date and otherlines are text.

Thanks,
Don

0
anonymous (74722)
5/18/2004 9:03:26 PM
The char(10) worked.

Thanks,
Don

Nov. 2001]
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm

>"DRARetired" <draretired@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>> How can I put a newline command in a cell formula?  I've
>> tried using Alt-Enter, but it doesn't work.
>

>.

0
anonymous (74722)

Wrap text around certain section/paragraph
Hi, I have a paragraph and a table on a page. I want to wrap all text around that certain page. That is no matter what happens, that one paragraph and the table underneath it should stay on page 16!!! I have searched for 2 hours already... cant find solution You can't wrap text around an entire page. Anything that is text-wrapped must be anchored to a text paragraph. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "VBforlifeYO" <VBforlifeYO@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9B...

Wrap Text will no longer autofit
I've read many articles here that mention how wrap text won't work after manually resizing a row. Many suggest to re-autofit the row to force wrap text to continue. I have two cells, in two consecutive rows, both labeled "Patient Safety Video." The user manually resized the rows for both. Now the top one only displays "Patient Safety" with "Video" wrapped below the cell border. The bottom cell only displays "Video" with "Patient Safety" wrapped above the top cell border. When I try to autofit either of these rows, nothing happ...

ALT + Enter and Wrap Text #2
Thanks for the advice, even if it wasn't necessarily what I wanted t hear ;-) I can work around this limitation and still avoid the dreaded Merg Cells (always the optimist here...). Cheers -- Christophe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Christopher's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1604 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27499 An ugly possibility--use a function: ="item 1" & char(10) & "item 2" & char(10) & "item 3" A not s...

Wrap text, Merge cells
I have merged 2 cells in a column, wrapped the text. There are actually 20 rows of data ( sentences) in one cell After the 18th row within that merged cell the data is no longer visible. Is there a limit to how high a cell can be ( mine is at 350, but can be made a whole lot large, not that the data is visible though) or how many "rows" wihin a merged and wrapped cell are possible? Stumped in IN. thanks for any info on this subject A row's height (with or without merged cells) cannot exceed 409. Also, a cell can display only about 1000 characters even though it can hold ov...

Wrap text function does not work on all cells
My wrap text function does not work in all cells. The issue is this: - It will wrap text for about 20 lines then the last line of the cell will not wrap. Cannot figure out what causes the sudden reason that the wrap text function will not continue working in the cell. Try adding some alt-enters to your text to force new lines within the cell. You can usually see more of the contents that way. deer777 wrote: > > My wrap text function does not work in all cells. The > issue is this: > > - It will wrap text for about 20 lines then the last line > of the cell will n...

Wrap Text in Access Form Pivot table
I need to display lots of records from a query in a pivot table. I have created the table but 1 of the fields I have that contains the description can be off the screen it's so long. When you float over the description for the record it appears fully in the yellow floating box. Is there anyway however to change the pivot table view so that it wraps the text instead. I changed the description Can Grow format to Yes but his made no difference. Thanks ...

Excel 2007
I have a spreadsheet in Excel 2007 where the wrap text function is not working properly. The text height is getting cut off before the full text displays. The AutoFit Row Height function does nothing. There is no merging or anything unusual in the workbook. By the way, the print preview does display the full text of the cell, but the regular worksheet view does not show the full cell. I have looked at the maximum height (which is 409 pts) and my rows are not at that height, so I'm not sure what's causing the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated! After spending hours ...

Wrap text and row autofit
Hello, If Wrap text is enabled for a cell, the row autofit function works properly. But if I merge 2 or more cells in a row, then autofit doesn't work. It sets itself to the height of 1 row even if the contents require more than 1 row's height. Pls help. Note: Excel 2003 version. thanks, GK GK Rows with Merged cells will not Autofit. Just one of many problems with merged cells. You need VBA code to do that. Here is code from Greg Wilson. Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Dim NewRwHt As Single Dim cWdth As Single, MrgeWdth As Single Dim c As Range, cc As ...

How do I wrap text in a text box around another text box
I'm creating a newsletter with columns. I have a horizontal text box with the article title. I want the vertical column at the same height as the top of the horizontal column. Right now the text in the vertical column is going through some of the horizontal box. I want it to wrap. I've tried to selecting "square" for each of the two boxes wrapping style. Nothing changes. How do I get the text to wrap around the horizontal text box? I'm using Publisher 2003 I found a way around this by copying another textbox from the template that was apprently already set ...

WRAP TEXT #3
I HAVE TRIED TO DO FORMAT, CELLS, ALIGNMENT & WRAP TEXT...IT DOES NOT WORK. I'M TRYING TO DO THIS IN A CELL THAT HAS BEEN MERGED WITH THREE OTHER CELLS TO THE RIGHT. I AM SETTING UP A WORKSHEET TO BE USED AS A LAW FIRM'S INVOICE AND NEED THE CELL WHERE THE NARRATIVE OF SERVICES GOES TO WRAP THE TEXT Lynn First, please turn off CAPS LOCK. Most find it hard to read and is considered "shouting". Second....... Merged cells will allow "wrap text" from Format>Cells>Alignment but.......... Excel has a problem auto-fitting merged cells. You can resize...

####### within a wrap text cell.
I have merged cells and wrap text (all text) and when gone back to the cell and added text, the cell display "##########" accross the merged cell and prints the same thing. What is happening and how can I fix it? cell isn't big enough... either make the font of that cell smaller, or increase the size. "OrlandoJayHu" wrote: > I have merged cells and wrap text (all text) and when gone back to the cell > and added text, the cell display "##########" accross the merged cell and > prints the same thing. What is happening and how can I fix it? Tr...

wrap text inserts a padding blank line
I use Excel 2003 (11.5612.5606). I thought I had a row autofit problem; I actually seem to have a wrap text problem. I have a cell in which the text can fit in one line; when wrap text is set, the cell is two lines deep. I have seen many descriptions of this problem; I have seen neither explanation nor solution. To demonstrate the problem: 1) open a new workbook; 2) Either: a) in A1, set the column width to 600 pixels, the font as Tahoma, Bold, Italic and the text on one line to 12345678 1 2345678 2 2345678 3 2345678 4 2345678 5 2345678 6 2345678 7 2345678 8 2 At this point, the text is in o...

problem with wrap text
I tried looking all through the newsgroup and saw nothing that approaches my query. I do a lot of data editing, working through other people's stuff and trying to standardize it, and that entails a lot of global replaces. It is s.o.p. for me to set |Format|Alignment|Wrap Text| to off, to compact a worksheet and to determine when someone decided to write a book where a single word is needed. Somehow, the Wrap keeps coming back! I have a suspicion that there is some sort of option or default which has got changed, but I know not where or what I have done to deserve this! Any advice...

merged cell wrap text autofit issue
hello, i am facing problem while trying to row autofit contents in a merged cell. the contents in the merged cell wrap to about 3 lines. when i click on row autofit, it shows me only the first line. the next two lines are hidden. aside from merging cells, i tried to select adjacent cells and chose centre across selection. i have wrap text here too, but the row autofit keeps all the lines visible. however, my intention is to keep the contents left justified, not centred. can it be helped? thanks, mac. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ One way is to use a macro by Ji...

Can not see text in Excel when cell format is set to wrap text
When I select wrap text in format cell, or open an Excel file with wrap texted, the text is not visible. Tried changing row height & column width, but does not help. One way to make text "invisible" is to set the text font color the same as the background color. Make sure this is not happening. Make sure the text is not heavily indented Make sure there are not an excessive number of hard returns at the beginning of the text. -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200725 "Mark" wrote: > When I select wrap text in format cell, or open an Excel file with wrap > ...

can wrap text and merge be used together?
I thought that I was able to use wrap text and merge in a cell together but when I use them together it doesn't wrap. Please let me know if I can use the two controls together. Thank you Yes you can use wrap text and merge in a cell. Highlight the cells you want to merge together Format>cells click on Alignment Tab choose the wrap text and merge cells boxes That should do it although excel usually doesn't adjust the row height to show the wrap so you'll probably have to by dragging on the left or going through Format>Row>height "Elizabeth" wrote: >...

Excel 2007; even though "Wrap Text" is on the text does wrap?
Excel 2007; even though "Wrap Text" is on the text does wrap? ...

How to wrap text in a merged cell
We are trying in a larged merged cell to wrap the text with a left alignment. We have the cell set up now to wrap text/merged cell, but it will not complete this. The cell already contains insert problem and I would like this to start the next line down. Thanks! Kristi I had this same question a while ago and someone was nice enough to help me. I actually pasted the text into a Notepad document. Here's the solution I was given: Have you tried, "Center Across Selection"? This works as you wish, as long as you're combining columns and *not rows*. First, select the ...

Wrap text limits in Excel 2003 cell formatting
We have an Excel document which needs to support rather lengthy text entries. We formatted the cell to wrap the text, but at a certain point, it stops wrapping. In the Knowledge base, I've found basic information regarding formatting cells and it included the following statement. " Select Wrap Text to wrap the text in the selected cell. The number of wrapped lines depends on the width of the column and the length of the cell contents." So I guess my question is does anyone know how to control the number of wrapped lines OR is there a fixed limit to the text wrapping i...

Wrap text does not adjust row height in merged cells.
When I set the format/alignment of a SINGLE (unmerged) Excel cell to select "WrapedText", the row height adjusts upward, automatically, to accommodate the greater height needed by the wrapped text. (That's good/) But if I select "WrappedText" for a MERGED cell (e.g., a cell made by merging two side-by-side cells into one), the row height does NOT adjust. In that case, if the text runs onto a second line, I cannot see that second line unless I increase the row height MANUALLY. (That's bad.) So, my question is: "How can I force the row height to adjust...

Please help: Wrap Text limit?
Hi all, if anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it! I have a couple of cells that each cell has a long list of bullet points and text in each cell. THe problem? Well, when I try to wrap text for that specfic cell. It will only wrap text for 2/3 of the cell text. The remaining 1/3 does not wrap text. Does anyone know what's going on? Is there a wrap text limit that I dont know of? Can anyone help? Suggestions? Excel will only display approximately 1024 characters. If you put in your own carriage returns (Alt+Enter), then you can get it to show much more. How...

wrap text/row width adjusted
Hello - My wrap text is checked, "general" allignment, and my row height is fine, but part of the text in the cell wraps, except my 3rd paragraph - doesn't wrap. I've tried everything. Any suggestions? Thanks, Julianne Julianne Possibly you have run up against a limitation of text length. From Excel Help on "specifications" you will learn that you can enter 32767 characters in a cell but only 1024 of them will be visible or can be printed. To work around this limitation, stick a few ALT + ENTERs in at appropriate spots. The ALT + ENTER forces a line-feed ...

Text does not Wrap, but Wrap Text is Selected
When I have a large group of text in a cell sometimes the text towards the end will not wrap. This occures even if I increase the row height. Wrap text is checked in Format Cells. How do i correct this? I bet that this cell has a lot of characters in it. Sometimes if you add a few alt-enters (line breaks within the cell), xl will act nicer. R Robertson wrote: > > When I have a large group of text in a cell sometimes the > text towards the end will not wrap. This occures even if I > increase the row height. > > Wrap text is checked in Format Cells. > > How d...

Wrap text around objects using Publisher 2000
I use Publisher 2000 on a Windows 98, Second Edition, machine. The Publisher came as part of a Microsoft Office 2000 Professional suite; I bought the Academic Edition. I am unable to cause my text to wrap around objects and also not able to use multiple columns in a single text box. I feel certain that I am following the correct sequence of steps and I am beginning to wonder if, perhaps, these features are not part of the Academic Version. Does anyone have a solution to my problem? Word Art will allow some manipulating of the text to go around objects. Do you mean multiple columns...