Font with Monospaced Numbers

Can someone recommmend a readily available sans serif font, similar to
Arial, that has monospaced numbers, so that a column of numbers will
line up.  When I use Arial in an Excel worksheet, the "1" occupies a
narrow space, and causes a column of numbers to misalign.

I don't want a totally monospaced font (I have one of those).  Only
the numbers, not text/letters should be monospaced.

Thanks for your help.

Fred Holmes
0
fsh (33)

Try using Courier.

HTH
Jason
Atlanta, GA

0
jasonjmorin (551)
1/20/2005 6:45:03 PM
Verdana works well for me. Tahoma works, too, though being more compact,
it's not as easy on the eyes.

In article <ibtvu0565dv2grfs8llto89ot2oeh4775b@4ax.com>,
 Fred Holmes <fsh@his.com> wrote:

> Can someone recommmend a readily available sans serif font, similar to
> Arial, that has monospaced numbers, so that a column of numbers will
> line up.  When I use Arial in an Excel worksheet, the "1" occupies a
> narrow space, and causes a column of numbers to misalign.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/20/2005 6:46:00 PM
Courier is all monospaced.  Don't want that.  Want only the numbers
monospaced.  Up until now, I was under the impression that Arial had
monospaced numbers so that columns would line up.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:45:03 -0800, "Jason Morin"
<jasonjmorin@OPPOSITEOFCOLDmail.com> wrote:

>Try using Courier.
>
>HTH
>Jason
>Atlanta, GA

0
fsh (33)
1/20/2005 7:00:53 PM
Both Tahoma and Verdana have narrow ones ("1") on my machine, and
columns of numbers still don't line up.  Windows 2000, SP-4, Excel
2000.

Still looking.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 11:46:00 -0700, JE McGimpsey
<jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

>Verdana works well for me. Tahoma works, too, though being more compact,
>it's not as easy on the eyes.
>

>In article <ibtvu0565dv2grfs8llto89ot2oeh4775b@4ax.com>,
> Fred Holmes <fsh@his.com> wrote:
>
>> Can someone recommmend a readily available sans serif font, similar to
>> Arial, that has monospaced numbers, so that a column of numbers will
>> line up.  When I use Arial in an Excel worksheet, the "1" occupies a
>> narrow space, and causes a column of numbers to misalign.

0
fsh (33)
1/20/2005 7:09:03 PM
On checking, it appears that it is only the screen font that has
narrow "1" characters.  Printed pages line up columns of numbers OK.

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:20:01 -0500, Fred Holmes <fsh@his.com> wrote:

>Can someone recommmend a readily available sans serif font, similar to
>Arial, that has monospaced numbers, so that a column of numbers will
>line up.  When I use Arial in an Excel worksheet, the "1" occupies a
>narrow space, and causes a column of numbers to misalign.
>
>I don't want a totally monospaced font (I have one of those).  Only
>the numbers, not text/letters should be monospaced.
>
>Thanks for your help.
>
>Fred Holmes

0
fsh (33)
1/20/2005 7:18:41 PM
Go figure.

For me Arial lines up fine (XL03, but not XL04) and Verdana and Tahoma
line up fine in both XL03 and XL04.

All six fonts supplied by MS.

In article <cc00v0pcnd3h7g1ilh9f2jokfijt65ksap@4ax.com>,
 Fred Holmes <fsh@his.com> wrote:

> Both Tahoma and Verdana have narrow ones ("1") on my machine, and
> columns of numbers still don't line up.  Windows 2000, SP-4, Excel
> 2000.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/20/2005 7:39:37 PM
If you change the zoom factor to 100% does it look ok?

If yes, then maybe this post by Debra Dalgleish will help:

You can change a registry setting to prevent this from happening (make a
backup copy of the registry first):

1. From the Start button, choose Run
2. Type regedit then click OK
3. Click the + sign to the left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER
4. Open Software, Microsoft, Office, 9.0, Excel, Options
5. Choose Edit>New>DWORD Value
6. Type the name for the DWORD:  FontSub
7. Press Enter to complete the renaming
8. Choose Edit>Modify
9. Type 0 as the value, select Decimal, and click OK
10. Close the Registry Editor

=====
That 9.0 will vary with your version of excel.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Fred Holmes

On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 16:23:26 -0600, Dave Peterson
<ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote:

>If you change the zoom factor to 100% does it look ok?
>
>If yes, then maybe this post by Debra Dalgleish will help:
>
>You can change a registry setting to prevent this from happening (make a
>backup copy of the registry first):
>
>1. From the Start button, choose Run
>2. Type regedit then click OK
>3. Click the + sign to the left of HKEY_CURRENT_USER
>4. Open Software, Microsoft, Office, 9.0, Excel, Options
>5. Choose Edit>New>DWORD Value
>6. Type the name for the DWORD:  FontSub
>7. Press Enter to complete the renaming
>8. Choose Edit>Modify
>9. Type 0 as the value, select Decimal, and click OK
>10. Close the Registry Editor
>
>=====
>That 9.0 will vary with your version of excel.
>
>Fred Holmes wrote:
>>
>> On checking, it appears that it is only the screen font that has
>> narrow "1" characters.  Printed pages line up columns of numbers OK.
>>
>> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005 13:20:01 -0500, Fred Holmes <fsh@his.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Can someone recommmend a readily available sans serif font, similar to
>> >Arial, that has monospaced numbers, so that a column of numbers will
>> >line up.  When I use Arial in an Excel worksheet, the "1" occupies a
>> >narrow space, and causes a column of numbers to misalign.
>> >
>> >I don't want a totally monospaced font (I have one of those).  Only
>> >the numbers, not text/letters should be monospaced.
>> >
>> >Thanks for your help.
>> >
>> >Fred Holmes

0
fsh (33)

In search of fonts...
I'm trying out my little localization app, but I'm now in search of fonts. I need Unicode-compliant fonts for any or all of the following languages (note: I will not be able to tell what they say, but if I get something other than the block meaning "I see no character here" I'll have some evidence my code is probably working). I've not previously worried about any of these languages, so it might well be that someone will say "this is on disk nnnn of the MSDN" (I don't get the international MSDN, by the way), but pointers to downloadable fonts would also ...

colored font in publisher document
I am creating a calendar using Publisher 2000. I am attempting to color code specific dates but when I close the document and go back all the colored fonts are again black. I have tried to change, save, and then close individually but this still doesn't work. Any ideas? ...

Inserting page numbers in a cell
Certain data in my spreadsheet has to reference to a specific page number when the spreadsheet is printed. I can't find a formula that would provide information about a page number (something like =CELL("filename")) Any help would be appreciated. need something similar. i have a list of manufacturers' and their respective products on a sheet. items on this list are constantly being added and removed. this list is also filtered so that certain data can be printed. On a master sheet I want to be able to list the pages that a particular manufacturer's items are on, ...

Another numbering system question
I want to create a numbering system, in a three character format, in a form starting at "001" and so on. Now, because the of the formatting of the prior data from an Excel file, I've had to distinguish one year's records from the next with a text field "08" (year). So when a new record is added, the text "08" is added and then the count begins at "001". How do I do that? table fields are: [I_period] - "08", [row_num] - "001", "002, etc,. Thanks all. -- AusTexRich What is the purpose of this numbering? If is goin...

=?windows-1252?Q?Entering_Purchase_Order_line_items_=96_who=92s_part_?= =?windows-1252?Q?number=3F?=
Any way to select our in-house part number yet have the selected vendor=92s part number be printed on the PO? The choice of either learning every part number from every vendor or using our in-house numbers and possibly getting the wrong part (vendor doesn=92t know our part numbers) is an ugly choice. Using version 8. Is this the way it is in all newer versions? Picking ours and printing theirs would be sweet... G You should be able to do that....right now, our PO prints our item number on the first line and the vendor item number on the second line. If you just want the vendor's it...

Unique chinese fonts
Hi, had tried installing types of chinese fonts(*.ttf), system prompt "Invalid fonts". Didn't see any problem with the extension of files. System is installed with English language but had tried to changed language to Chinese before installation of new chinese fonts. please advice ...

Number formatting in chart
The secondary axis in my chart is dollar value. It is showing in thousands, which is what I want, but the data labels I would like it to show 177 only, for example, instead of 177,883. It would be understood that the labels are in thousands. Is this possible? Connie Okay, I guess I didn't make myself very clear. I will try to take a different approach. How do I customize the format of numbers in a column so that it rounds 177,883 to 178? Connie "Connie Martin" wrote: > The secondary axis in my chart is dollar value. It is showing in thousands, > which is ...

How do I enlarge font in a drop-down list in EXCEL?
How can I enlarge the font in a EXCEL "drop-down" list? hi, in design mode, right click the dropdown then click properties. find and click font on the left. on the right click the small gray box. reset fonts sizes here. >-----Original Message----- >How can I enlarge the font in a EXCEL "drop-down" list? >. > If these are data validation dropdown lists, you can't change the font size. There are a couple of workarounds here: http://www.contextures.com/xlDataVal08.html#Larger Stan wrote: > How can I enlarge the font in a EXCEL "drop-down&quo...

1 Keeps appending to Contact Name's Business Fax Number
I'm using Office XP and whenever I build a contact it appends a 1 to the front of it. I have gone through "Dialing Properties" but have been unable to get rid of it. Does anybody have any ideas? -- Paul Bergson Open your Contacts folder Press Ctrl Shift D Select Dialing Options Is the option to add the coutry code selected? -- PATRICK REED [Outlook - MVP]~~~~~~ -Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) -Have you checked http://www.slipstick.com? -Please post your Outlook version! "Paul Bergson" <pbergson@mnpower.com> wrote in message news:%23BO...

Reference number
After adding a sales note to a transaction with a reference number, how do I pull up a list of all the transactions with that reference number? I haven't seen any reports out there (custom reports in customersource) that are based on the transaction table....if you know how to use SO Administrator then a query will work...(replace XXX below with your reference number but keep the single quotes) select transactionnumber, time, referencenumber from [transaction] where referencenumber = 'XXX' order by time Hope this helps... "Michael" wrote: > After adding a sa...

Convert Number to Word
Is there any Simple method to convert Number into Word (for instance like 1400 to One thousand four hunderd) -- Rup ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Rup's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=37638 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=572539 See http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.xlFAQ0004.html -- HTH Bob Phillips (replace somewhere in email address with gmail if mailing direct) "Rup" <Rup.2coc5d_1155801003.7583@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:...

how do i format phone number field
I have imported my Act 2000 database into Outlook 2003 to begin my conversion process. Even though I did not have the 1+ dialing in act..Outlook 2003 it added it to all my phone number fields. How do I bulk format all existing phone number fileds to read only (xxx) 555-1212?? tnbubba <tnbubba@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have imported my Act 2000 database into Outlook 2003 to begin my > conversion process. Even though I did not have the 1+ dialing in > act..Outlook 2003 it added it to all my phone number fields. How do > I bulk format all existing phone numb...

Count number of days that fall on a weekend or in a time range?
Hello! I am trying to reconcile my cell phone bill. I have copied and pasted it into Excel 2003. I want to find all entries that fall on Saturday or Sunday, cut/paste that portion into another area of the sheet, then sum the number of minutes used on those days. I also want to find all entries that fall between 9:00PM and 6:00AM in the remainder of the bill and sum those entries. Any suggestions? Thank you for helping! Gregg Hill Hi lets assume the following: - column A: your dates as Excel date format (check this with =ISNUMBER(A1) -> should return TRUE) - column B: the starting ti...

Change font of part of equation (Word 2007)
Hi group, In the equation editor: can I change the font for only a part of an equation? It seems that when I change the font for one part, the entire equation changes as well. Cheers -Ralf Assuming you use the new Word 2007 equations tool, you can select part of the equation (balancing could be an issue) and select 'Normal Text' from the Equations 'Design' tab and change the font size on the 'Home' tab. Yves "ralf.schaa" <ralf.schaa@gmail.com> wrote in message news:6cfffd34-73e4-46ff-94f6-5b39258d4ca1@v20g2000prb.googlegroups.com....

How do I add 1 to a number in column b
I have a spreadsheet in which column b refers to the number of years of safe driving. ie "22 years". How do I add 1 to each cell in column B? If you literally wrote "22 years" into a single cell, the manipulation needed is: =LEFT(B2,FIND(" ",B2)-1)+1&" years" -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "diana" wrote: > I have a spreadsheet in which column b refers to the number of years of safe > driving. ie "22 years". How do I add 1 to each cell in column B? I didn...

Is there a way to SUM based on formatting of a number?
I have a column of $ formatted numbers. Some of them are bold and the others are not. I would like to Sum the column based on whether the bold formatting is applied or not. Is there a way to do this? (doesn't appear to be) If there isn't, then let me explain what I am looking for ultimately. I want to have two totals for this column of $. One that includes everything and one that includes everything that isn't "marked". Bolding a cell is a really easy and visual way of marking a cell. Is there some other way I could mark a cell and is visible and I can conditionall...

How to change newsgroup message font

MROUND and negative/positive numbers
I have a spreadsheet where I keep track of certain expenses, and The Powers That Be want the dollars rounded to the nearest hundred, which is simple enough using MROUND. But here's where I run into trouble: in a couple of the cells, I could run a surplus or debt in any give quarter, which means the number could be positive or negative. MROUND to the nearest 100 is fine, but it can't round if the number is negative. Is there some way of using MROUND or some other function that would automatically round to the nearest 100 if the number is positive and to the nearest -100 if the number ...

Outlook message font says 11 but is so small it can't be read.
My Outlook was working perfectly. I pasted a web address from an open website into a message to send and it changed my text to so small it looks like dots unless I go to 72 point font and then it is readable. The receiver of the email actually receives huge font. The toolbar says it is 11 point Arial. My v-card on the message changed to about 1/4 inches square on my screen as well. You probably have changed your zooming factor. Changing it back depends on your version of Outlook. See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/95 -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring...

Case number format
Hi: There are a way to change the format of case number (ticketnumber attributes). This is the auto-generated case number. Example: From CAS-01001-R4JCBU to INFO-01001 By the way What the meaning of the letter at the end of the case number (CAS-01001-R4JCBU)? Regards -- Jose Valentin Rodriguez MCP-GP MCBMSS-GP You can change the behavior in the settings section - organization settings - auto numbers ... (sorry I don´t have the system right in front of me - this was from my mind) Best regards "Valentin PR MCP-GP MCBMSS-GP" wrote: > Hi: > There are a way to cha...

Presentations.count in VBA returns false number
Hi, I'm using PowerPoint 2003 with VBA to open a file, copy two slides from it and paste them into another file. Before I start, I check to see if any other files are open in PowerPoint using "Presentations.count". For some reason, it's starting to show that there is a presentation open, but it is not visible. There are no extra instances of PowerPoint.exe in the task manager (I've closed out and restarted). Any ideas why this number would be too large? Call the NewWindow() method to get the presentation to show. So, if you close all presentations and you st...

serial number
does any one have the serial number for visio 2002 enterprise network tools? I would appreciate any help. it's on the case that the cdrom came in (marked do not lose). If you registered the product you should be able to contact MS for it. ...

Convert between numbers and labels
Alright, here's the setup. I have an index list (hereafter referred to as INDEX), which is a table with one column of (unique) numbers, and another column of corresponding labels. I have another table, hereafter referred to as INPUT, with a bunch of numbers. What I want to do is have Access take the INPUT, and create a table (or query, whatever) that will convert these numbers into their corresponding lables from the INDEX. (I also need to be able to convert labels into corresponding numbers, the exact opposite process.) I have already tried using a query, and setting up a relationshi...

How do I read tab numbers into formula?
I want to use the tab number to automatically create a date. For example, I want to use tab number 1 to create a date in a cell on the same page. 1 for the 1st, 10 for the 10th, etc. How do I read the tab number into my formula? take a look here: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/formulae/cell_function.html In article <2D0BE3A6-FD87-4A13-847F-BCF42917430B@microsoft.com>, "Gregg" <Gregg@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to use the tab number to automatically create a date. For example, I > want to use tab number 1 to create a date in a cell on the...

matching a column of numbers to another in another spreadsheet
I have a spreadsheet of shortpayment amounts and their invoice numbers on one spreadsheet with a column of credit amounts with their invoice numbers on another spreadsheet. I need to match the credits written with the shortpayments. kinda like this spreadsheet 1 spreadsheet 2 inv # amount date Credit # Amount Date 122334 15.00 11-25-09 675555 15.00 12-10-09 223345 22.00 10-20-09 754444 22.00 111-25-09 naturally...