Fitting to scale?

I have inconsistencies when I select fit to scale, sometimes I get large
white spaces (about 1.5 - 2 inches on either side) and the page looks really
narrow.  How can i fix this and get a more consistent look to all the
workbooks.

You'll often get that kind of results when you choose to "fit to scale" with
settings fixed for both page width and height.  If it's a long document, then
it has to squeeze it down a lot to get it on one page, and it squeezes the
width at the same time, giving wide margins.

What you can do is to choose the Fit to Scale settings to fit to EITHER a
particular width or height, but leave the other dimension undefined.  You do
this by going to the settings and actually deleting any entry in that
dimension's fit to area; don't enter any number at all.

Lets say you have a document that's just a couple of columns wider than a
printed page will accept, but it runs on for several pages in height.  If
you'll set the pages wide setting to 1 and then DELETE the entry in the
section for "tall", then it should look much better to you.

"EVH" wrote:

> I have inconsistencies when I select fit to scale, sometimes I get large
> white spaces (about 1.5 - 2 inches on either side) and the page looks really
> narrow.  How can i fix this and get a more consistent look to all the
> workbooks.

X axis Scale
I have a bar graph with dates for the X axis. I have 3 months, Jul 08, Aug 08 & Sep 09. The X axis displays all the 08 months up to Sep 09. How do I stop the other 08 months from showing up. The bars on the graph are separated, I want them all together. Hi, Here are a number of things to do depending on what you mean by separated 1. If there should be only one month per bar - select the chart and choose Chart, Chart Options, Axes, Category 2. Double-click the series on the chart and choose Options, Gap width 0 3. If you are displaying all the dates through Sept 09, it means tha...

Charts with scaled axis
Can anyone recommend a procedure for creating large format scaled charts? Ideally, I'd like the y-axis to have a scale of 5 inches per unit and an x-axis of 1 inch per 500 units. Ive used the following macro to set the plot area, but i'd like to automate it a bit based on data ranges. Sub ResizePlotArea() ' ' Resize Plot Area Macro ' Macro recorded 6/8/2006 by steve' ' 'Selection.Width =(desired width*72) +36 (36 dependant on axis font) 'Selection.Height =(desired height*72)+25 (25 dependant on axis font) ActiveChart.PlotArea.Select Selectio...

The scale on vertical axis equals to scale on vertical axis of ano
Hello, I have a chart that displays 'before product implementation' scenario and another one next to it that dispalys 'after product implementation'. The user will have two countries to choose from so I have to leave the scale on auto rather than fix it because the the countries have very different size markets. What I would like to do is to make the vertical scale of graph 1 equal to the vertical scale of graph 2 so that I can show the impact of the product more clearly. Is there a way to do this which doesn't involved fixing the scales? Many thanks...

Best fit data from a best fit curve?
MS Excel 2003. I have followed the instructions to apply best fit curve to my raw data points. I have a best fit curve that I am happy with, and I now need to extract the corresponding actual best fit data from the curve for use in other software applications. Does someone know how? Hi, See Bernard's page, which also includes a link to Tushar's page. http://people.stfx.ca/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm Cheers Andy Gigi wrote: > MS Excel 2003. I have followed the instructions to apply best fit curve to > my raw data points. I have a best fit curve that I am happy w...

A formula for sliding scale percentage??????
Hi, I am still very much an Excel novice, barley finding my way, so please be a little patient. I am trying to calculate a commission payment based on a sliding percentage scale. Let’s say cell B8 contains a salespersons total monthly gross profit, I want to show their commission payment in cell D5 I require a formula which will calculate if the figure in B8 is less than $3000 then 0% of the value of B8 will be calculated and shown in D5. If between $3001 and $5000 then 5% will be shown in D5 If between $5001 and $7500 then 7.5% will be shown in D5 Etc, etc, up too anything over $200...

Want to add Items with attributes that change price scale.
We are using RMS for all of our OTC and MOPO transactions. We also have a website that uses Storefront 6. We are getting ready to implement an integration of RMS and Storefront using (what I believe to be) Newestech's RMS Ecommerce Web Integrator. We are a remanufacturer and have several items on the website which have the attribute of "new", for some of our customers who demand new rather than remanufactured units. We did have some of our products listed in RMS as 2 different item lookups (CAL1963 & CAL1963-N). How can we create 1 item in RMS to correlate with the 1 i...

Values plotted outside of Axis scale
I'm plotting data in a scatter plot. The data values span -1 to ~16,000 and I want them on the Y axis. I do not want to plot the -1 values. I've set the Y axis scale minimum value to 0, but the -1 values are still displayed. I use the -1 values later in the chart, so replacing them with another # might be an issue. Outside of changing the minimum value until the -1 values disappear, is there any way to remove those values? Do you get data points outside of the plot area? How did you set your axis minimum? Did you set it to zero, then check the box that says Auto? Auto ...

Scale Issue with RMS
One of our clients, a grocery store, recently upgraded their lanes with new computers however, they kept their old scanner scales, MagellanSL 384s. All three terminals have the exact same desktops with the exact same software, however two of the scales work perfectly fine and one does not. The one scale that does not work, works perfectly fine in the OPOS software, everything weighs correctly, however weighing in RMS is off. Certain items are weighed correctly, however many are not. For instance, I weighed two items on a working scale and it said item A was 1.7 pounds, item B was 0....

How do I change the scale (extend) the X axis in Excel 2007?
One of many questions under the new Office 2007. Trying to reproduce the old behavior some way. In Excel 2003... rioght click on X axis --> select Format Axis --> change value in "Maximum" field --> Bingo. Chart has new scale (extended with dates for another year) If I can't do this in Excel 2007, I just need to know so I can find/buy other software. Hi, In 2007: Right-click the axis and choose Format Axis, then click Fixed to the right of Maximum on the Axis Options tab and enter a new Maximum value -- If this helps, please click the Yes button Cheers, Sha...

All Y Axis Labels won't fit on the chart
Hello, I can't get all of the Y axis labels to fit on my chart. I have gone to as small as size 6 for font and still they won't go. Is there some way that I can make the labels "squeeze" in there? I need my charts to be a certain size, so making them larger so that they all fit is not an option. Any expertise is greatly appreciated! Thanks, Kristin barrettk@brandonrha.mb.ca On Wed, 22 Oct 2003 09:34:52 -0700, Kristin = <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hello, > I can't get all of the Y axis labels to fit on my chart. I > have gone to a...

New message text scale
In Outlook 2007, when I create a message (new or reply) the font, as I am viewing it, is very tiny. The scale at the top is also small, so I am sure that it is a setting, but I am unable to fix it. The text itself, when I check the font size, is correct. This occurred on my laptop so I am sure I must have touched something wrong in the mousepad. Can somehelp tell me how to fix this? Thanks very much. -- ksl You probably scrolled while holding the CTRL button. You can use that to re-zoom it back to 100% or switch to the Format text tab to set the zoom level. -- Robert Sp...

Shrink to Fit 11-19-09
Word Perfect has a shrink-to-fit option. Does Word? Try the Shrink One Page command, which is available on the ribbon if you switch to Print Preview. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Gina" <Gina@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5905A3B8-1B77-41A9-B091-4F2F0104991B@microsoft.com... > Word Perfect has a shrink-to-fit option. Does Word? And see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm for other options. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "S...

Adjust scales automatically
Hi, How can I arrange it so that the x and y axis scales automatically adjust to different data within the same series? Eg say I make a chart that has the x axis (A1:A10) going from 1 to ten. If I paste in an x axis range going from 100 to 1000 how can i get the scale to adjust automatically? Thanks for help, N Jon Peltier has instructions for linking the axis scale to formulas on a worksheet: http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Nicole wrote: > How can I arrange it so that the x and y axis scales > automatically adjust to different data within t...

RTF Scaling in C#
I posted this in a C# group yesterday. Haven't seen any replies yet, and thought someone here might like the challenge. http://groups.google.com/group/microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp/browse_thread/thread/d4a045e51ca8ce06# I'm not sure if anyone is able to reproduce the problem or not. AliR. I have officially narrowed the problem down to Vista 64! I guess I'll call microsoft and report this. AliR. "AliR (VC++ MVP)" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message news:_6GNk.1506$%11.133@flpi144.ffdc.sbc.com... >I posted this in a C# group yesterday. Ha...

Setting chart scale min/max in VBA
Would like to set the scale on several different charts in the same workbook based on min and max values in a data range. Can do it manually but it would be nice to automate it. Any help? Hi, See Jon's page, http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/AxisScaleLinkToSheet.html Cheers Andy pjasak@alum.mit.edu wrote: > Would like to set the scale on several different charts in the same > workbook based on min and max values in a data range. Can do it > manually but it would be nice to automate it. Any help? > Here's an example of setting min and max dates for a trend chart...

How do I make rows expand to fit wrapped text in cells?
I am submitting a grant which must be done in Excel. The grant was originally written in Word, and I am cutting and pasting, a paragraph at a time, into Excel. When I do Format -> Row -> Autofit, it shrinks the cell to one line, regardless of how many lines of wrapped text are in there. I'm on a deadline and really need help fast... If you have a lot to convert, I'd save the original word file as a text file and then open that into excel. I'd use the "DELIMITED" choice and ensure that all of the delimiters are turned off. Once you have the data in excel...

Sliding Scale Percentage via IF?
Hello all, I'm trying to do a formula for a sliding scale percentage fee, for which it references the item price of an object. Ie: First $25.00 = 10%, $25.01-100 = 10% of first $25 + 7% of remaining price, $100.01-1000 = 10% of first $25, 7% of first $25.01-100, and 5% of remaining price, etc. However! The formula I cobbled together won't debug correctly - it works up to the 7% range, but trying to get that third jump to the 5% and beyond returns a value of 'FALSE'. I can see what's happening in the formula evaluator, but I'm at a loss on how to side-step it. ...

best fit straight line
How do i draw a bit fit line in a chat? Hi, Right click the series and add a trendline. Here are a couple of pages that may help you get further. http://www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme/ExcelTips/Polynomial.htm http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/tips/trendline_coefficients.htm Cheers Andy Priscilla wrote: > How do i draw a bit fit line in a chat? -- Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel http://www.andypope.info ...

Publisher should have option to scale large poster to fit page
I make large scientific posters using Publisher. I used to do it using PowerPoint, but Publisher is much better for the task. However, PowerPoint has the option of scaling my 3 ft x 4 ft posters to one 8 1/2 x 11 page, so I can print a miniature version. Publisher should include this option! It's really valuable for making minatures, or draft copies before printing huge, expensive posters. ...

Date Scaling Issue
I have created an x-y scatter chart that has dates along the x-axis (mm/dd/yy). The first date on the chart does not correspond to the first date in my source data! When I go to change the min scale for the x-axis instead of seeing a starting date I see a huge number(38790) that in no way seems to corralate with my data (03/14/06) (note that my end point in this scaling section is also a large number). My data cells that are used for this x-axis data have been formated to be dates. I do want gaps between my dates that match how much time has passed (if possible), but I do not want my da...

How can i fit my data to page when it prints
I want to fit a page to the printing sheet, like fit to page as you find in word and powerpoint File/Page Setup/Page/Scaling Fit to 1 pages(s) wide leave the pages tall blank if you want more than 1 vertical page. In article <20F4C285-0AEA-456E-9458-EC9B137724D4@microsoft.com>, Aparna <Aparna@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I want to fit a page to the printing sheet, like fit to page as you find in > word and powerpoint ...

Graphic in Header scaling with pages contents
Hello, I'm having an issue dealing with graphics in headers in 2003. I place a graphic (.jpg) in the left header and set its size to .5" height. Because aspect ratio is locked, the width auto-sizes for me. *IF* I do not scale the page, the graphic works as intended; a half-inch high logo in the left header. *IF* I do scale the page to Fit to Pages Wide = 1 and tall = nothing, my graphic scales with my data as if it were in the main data grid instead of the header. I then get a small graphic in my header instead of the half-inch logo in my header. It seems that the gra...

Chart Scale #2
Is it possible if I have 2 charts in one, both with different scales (1st one -50 to 200 and the 2nd one 1000 to 1500) to take out from the y-axis part of the scale, say for example, take out from 210 to 900, so overall i have a clearer chart, with a scale -50 to 200 and then 1000 to 1500???? Thanks for the help. have a look here http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/axes.html. these might help -- John MOS Master Instructor Office 2000, 2002 & 2003 Please reply & rate any replies you get Ice Hockey rules (especially the Wightlink Raiders) "chelo" wrote: > Is it ...

New gym manager needs templete to create group fitness schedule
Anyone have a templete that can be updated and changed easily for a gym group fitness schedule. Hi Terri, See Microsoft's free template offerings at: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/results.aspx?Scope=TC&Query=fitness --- Regards, Norman "Terri" <Terri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7F7E1DD2-FB76-4D6E-AE2B-61711201F437@microsoft.com... > Anyone have a templete that can be updated and changed easily for a gym > group > fitness schedule. ...

Weekly scale on Y axis
Hi! I'm trying to create a chart that includes a weekly scale on both X & Y axis. The format required is as follow: YYwkWW - i.e. 06wk52. My issue is that after 06wk52, the 07wk01 corresponding value is shown on level 01 of the y axis (cells are formatted to respond to format requirements), or there is a gap of 48 between 06wk52 and 07wk01 if a calculation is applied. Anyone seen this before??? Cheers for your help!!! JF -- JFAIRBUS ------------------------------------------------------------------------ JFAIRBUS's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=ge...