Finding last row in a column

Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it in cell
D1.
Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

0
danchen (87)

I expect you haven't described your question correctly. The last blank row in
column A is most likely the last row on the worksheet, row 65536.

Do you mean the last *embedded* blank row?

On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:33:41 GMT, "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net>
wrote:

>Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
>My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it in cell
>D1.
>Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

0
anonymous (74722)
8/15/2004 3:08:17 AM
Hi Daniel,

Try the following array formula...

=MAX(IF(A1:A100="",ROW(A1:A100)))

entered using CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.

Hope this helps!

In article
<9YzTc.209428$OB3.142912@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
 "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
> My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it in cell
> D1.
> Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks
0
domenic22 (716)
8/15/2004 3:08:59 AM
Hi, Thank for looking.
Let say  (A1=7,  A2= blank ,A3 = you,  A4 = me) is given,  the answer should
be 5.

"Myrna Larson" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I expect you haven't described your question correctly. The last blank row
in
> column A is most likely the last row on the worksheet, row 65536.
>
> Do you mean the last *embedded* blank row?
>
> On Sun, 15 Aug 2004 02:33:41 GMT, "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
> >My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it in
cell
> >D1.
> >Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

0
danchen (87)
8/15/2004 3:43:02 AM
Hi, Domenic
It didn't work. Maybe I should give the following example.

"Domenic" <domenic22@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> Hi Daniel,
>
> Try the following array formula...
>
> =MAX(IF(A1:A100="",ROW(A1:A100)))
>
> entered using CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.
>
> Hope this helps!
>
> In article
> <9YzTc.209428$OB3.142912@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>,
>  "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> > Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
> > My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it in
cell
> > D1.
> > Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

0
danchen (87)
8/15/2004 3:46:40 AM
Hi Daniel!

Try this. In cell D1 enter:

="A"&MAX(MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A),MATCH(REPT
("z",255),A:A))+1

This will return A5. If you only want the number 5
remove "A"& from the formula. This also takes into account
cells that may formulas that reurn "".

Biff

0
biffinpitt (3172)
8/15/2004 6:32:21 AM
Hi
try
=LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A1000)),ROW(A1:A1000))+1

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
> My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it
in cell
> D1.
> Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/15/2004 7:19:10 AM
Make that...

=MAX(IF(1-ISBLANK(A1:A100),ROW(A1:A100)))+1

entered using CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.  Although, I must say, I like Frank's
formula.

In article <domenic22-9E401F.23085914082004@msnews.microsoft.com>,
 Domenic <domenic22@sympatico.ca> wrote:

> Hi Daniel,
>
> Try the following array formula...
>
> =MAX(IF(A1:A100="",ROW(A1:A100)))
>
> entered using CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.
>
> Hope this helps!
0
domenic22 (716)
8/15/2004 12:49:47 PM
Thank you, Frank
That is exactly what I want.

> Hi
> try
> =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A1000)),ROW(A1:A1000))+1
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
> > My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it
> in cell
> > D1.
> > Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

0
danchen (87)
8/15/2004 10:22:42 PM
Hi Domenic,
Frank Kabel's  =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A1000)),ROW(A1:A1000))+1     works
a lot better.
I appreciate your help very much.

> Make that...
>
> =MAX(IF(1-ISBLANK(A1:A100),ROW(A1:A100)))+1
>
> entered using CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.  Although, I must say, I like Frank's
> formula.
>
> In article <domenic22-9E401F.23085914082004@msnews.microsoft.com>,
>  Domenic <domenic22@sympatico.ca> wrote:
>
> > Hi Daniel,
> >
> > Try the following array formula...
> >
> > =MAX(IF(A1:A100="",ROW(A1:A100)))
> >
> > entered using CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER.
> >
> > Hope this helps!

0
danchen (87)
8/15/2004 10:31:00 PM
Hi Biff,
It didn't work quite well.
Frank Kabel's  =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A1000)),ROW(A1:A1000))+1    do the
tricks.
Thank a lot.

"Biff" <biffinpitt@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi Daniel!
>
> Try this. In cell D1 enter:
>
> ="A"&MAX(MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A),MATCH(REPT
> ("z",255),A:A))+1
>
> This will return A5. If you only want the number 5
> remove "A"& from the formula. This also takes into account
> cells that may formulas that reurn "".
>
> Biff

0
danchen (87)
8/15/2004 10:36:01 PM
Interesting formula, Frank! Your creation?

"Frank Kabel" wrote:

> Hi
> try
> =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A1000)),ROW(A1:A1000))+1
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
> > My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it
> in cell
> > D1.
> > Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

On 2nd look,  this is ingenious, Frank.

> Hi
> try
> =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A1000)),ROW(A1:A1000))+1
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
> > My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post it
> in cell
> > D1.
> > Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

0
danchen (87)
8/16/2004 1:58:15 AM
Hi
to be honest the basic concept was 'borrowed' either from Harlan or
Aladin (not sure where I saw it first). I just adapted it to this
specific case and I just like the idea of this non-array-entered
approach :-)

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

Bob Umlas, Excel MVP wrote:
> Interesting formula, Frank! Your creation?
>
> "Frank Kabel" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> try
>> =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A1000)),ROW(A1:A1000))+1
>>
>> --
>> Regards
>> Frank Kabel
>> Frankfurt, Germany
>>
>> "daniel chen" <danchen@worldnet.att.net> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>>> Column A contains entries of any formats including blanks.
>>> My objective is to find the last blank row# in Column A, and post
>>> it in cell D1.
>>> Can you help me with a formula to do that? Thanks

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/16/2004 6:11:05 AM
hi,

i was wondering if there is a way frank's lookup formula would accept
the range dynamically.

i use this sheet wherein the rows are ever burgeoning... some days as
many as 500-1000 lines could be added.

currently i am using vba code to perform this functionality. it would
be of great utility if the same could be done using worksheet
functions.

thanks in advance,

mac.

---

Hi
you could always use:
=LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A60000)),ROW(A1:A16000))+1

or if for example the number of rows is stored in B1 (e.g. 10000) try
(not tested):
=LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(OFFSET(A1,0,0,B1))),ROW(OFFSET(A1,0,0,B1)))+1

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> hi,
>
> i was wondering if there is a way frank's lookup formula would accept
> the range dynamically.
>
> i use this sheet wherein the rows are ever burgeoning... some days as
> many as 500-1000 lines could be added.
>
> currently i am using vba code to perform this functionality. it would
> be of great utility if the same could be done using worksheet
> functions.
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> mac.
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
8/16/2004 7:55:09 AM
hi frank,

thanks for the reply.

i was trying to figure out if i could use offset in order to make th
formula dynamic. i was not able to, hence i posted my question here.

i used the formula you provided. if i enter the formula in B1 (when th
list is in column A), i get a circular reference error due to th
presence of B1 in the formula and the result is 0. if i enter th
formula in any other column (C, D, E...) i get #REF.

could you please help me with this, if its not too much o
inconvenience?

thanks,

mac

hi frank,

i just tweaked your formula a wee bit, i am getting closer, but not
there yet.

column A has a,b,,c,d,,e,f,,g,h (from A1 to A11).

that is, A3, A6, A9 are blanks.

i used the following version of your formula in B1:

=LOOKUP(2,1/(1-
ISBLANK(OFFSET(A1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A)))),ROW(OFFSET(A1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A))))+1

i got the result as 9. the expected result is 12.

could you please help with this?

thanks in advance,

mac.

---

Hi
of course you get this result as COUNTA only returns the number of
filled cells. To be honest I don't know why you want to make i dynamic
(you won't gain a speed advantage -  at least I dont think so). You why
not simply make the range large enough and use
=LOOKUP(2,1/(1-ISBLANK(A1:A60000)),ROW(A1:A16000))+1

With this you should have no problems

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

> hi frank,
>
> i just tweaked your formula a wee bit, i am getting closer, but not
> there yet.
>
> column A has a,b,,c,d,,e,f,,g,h (from A1 to A11).
>
> that is, A3, A6, A9 are blanks.
>
> i used the following version of your formula in B1:
>
> =LOOKUP(2,1/(1-

ISBLANK(OFFSET(A1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A)))),ROW(OFFSET(A1,0,0,COUNTA($A:$A))
))+1

> i got the result as 9. the expected result is 12.
>
> could you please help with this?
>
> thanks in advance,
>
> mac.
>

> ---

frank.kabel (11126)
8/16/2004 8:37:02 AM
i realise that using counta is not the right method for this situation,
it only returns the total number of cells that have data in them. seems
like hardcoding the cell number is the only way out.

mac.

---

frank,

thanks for your patience and help, i will do as you suggest.

mac

Hiding Macro Buttons when right-clicking>Hiding Columns
I've recorded a macro on a spreadsheet and assigned it to a button. I'd like to hide that button along with several columns using the right-click>Hide command. When I hide the columns, the button is still there. Is there anyway to hide the botton with those columns, maybe by embedding the button in a cell? Thanks -- Brooks For the button properties, check to move and size with cells. Then it will hide when you hid the underlying column or row. Richard Choate "Brooks" <brooks.b.finnegan@accenture.com> wrote in message news:023901c34bc4$0a249a30$a301280a@p...

Shared Contacts
Hello. I have a Shared contacts list. When these contacts are accessed, there is a "last modified" date on the contact that is automatically updated. Unfortunately, the "person" that modified the contact is usually wrong. The update gets the date correct but most of the time the person modified shows as the owner of the contact list. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. clk;90178 Wrote: > Hello. I have a Shared contacts list. When these contacts are > accessed, there is a "last modified" date on the contact that is > automa...

Retrieve last non zero value in a range of cells
Hi How do I extract the last non zero value in a range of 5 Cells for Example: A1=95 B1=93 C1=98 D1=0 E1=0 From the example above I would require to choose the value 98 from the Range declared. Some weeks it is possible for all the values to be >0 so therefore I would need the Value in E1 other weeks it may be B1 Would it be possible to return the value I require into Cell G1 in the example above? Thanks Peter Entered in G1 =LOOKUP(2,1/(A1:E1<>0),A1:E1) Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 8 Jun 2011 11:55:19 -0700 (PDT), Pete <fell-walker@hotmail.co.uk> wrote: >...

Row headings
I have about six groups of statistics that in each one I would like to reset the row heading back to 1 eg.. 1-32 for each group. Thank you, jack ...

Finding users that belong to a certain storage group
All, I have a storage group with a database offline because of errors. I don't really care because there were a lot of non-essential users in that storage group, I just don't remember which ones. We have a LOT of users in AD, and it would be difficult at best to open up the properties of each user to see which storage group they belong to. Is there an easier way? Thanks, Pair Probably the quickest way is to dump the directory to a text file using LDIFDE. You could also using the Active Directory Users and Computers "Find" feature and do a custom search. -- Ji...

Copying matched criteria plus relevant columns to new worksheet
I want to use code in a macro to search for criteria in a worksheet which allows the matched data to be copied (along with other relevant columns) to another worksheet in the same file. Would this involve some sort of loop? Any help apreciated. Thanks in advance, Matt there are several ways to do it. if you want to copy a hundred cells for three columns every time something in row 3 is matched somehting like the following could be used. sub try() tar=1 ' target column in sheet 2 for c = 1 to 34 step 3 ' this will be the look up column in sheet 1 if sheets("Sheet1&quo...

Insert row(s) with vba
I'd appreciate some help to determine if I'm attempting the impossible... We have a workbook to generate proposals. Each proposal contains numerous sections. Each section has many line items. The first item in section 1 is numbered 01-001, the next 01-002 etc. The 01 is the section number, the 001 is the item number. Iuse the formula:- =CONCATENATE((TEXT($A$2,"00")),"-",(TEXT((RIGHT(OFFSET(A5,-1,0),3)+1),"000"))) to automatically generate the item number row by row. The value in $A$2 is the section number. This way I can use vba to insert a ro...

Please help me .... (CListCtrl multi-line column)
Dear all, I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data displayed in the control contains multiple lines. By default, the control displays the multiple-line text in a single line. In the multiple-line text, it uses "\r\n" (CR-LF). How can I set the column of CListCtrl to display the column text in multiple line like the data cell in Excel? -- Kathy This is the nearest i can find. Hope it helps http://www.codeguru.com/Cpp/controls/controls/lists,treesandcombos/article.php/c2291/ "Kathy" wrote: > Dear all, > > I use VC++ 6.0 MFC CListCtrl. And, some data di...

Excel 2003 - VBA
Hi; I would like to do a lookup with the intent of determining the row of the match. I have several years of data in a flat file and am interested in doing a vertical lookup confined to a months worth of data. To do this I need to know what row the month starts and what row it ends. Thanks, Craig Please don't do that. Use Pivot tables. Pivot tables can automatically group data in months. Pivot tables can read flat files. Pivot tables are a teeny weeny bit difficult to master. Once you have cracked the idea, you will save yourself years of writing (silly) lookups. Zumble. "...

How to find a result in an array in the same row as a minimum resu
I have temperature data for many years and am trying to find the minimum temperature for a given day. I can find the min temperature on a given day with this: {=MIN(IF(TEXT($A$7:$A$2001,"mmm,d")=X127,$D$7:$D$2001))} where X127 has the day of the month I'm searching for and the low temperatures are in column "D". But now I want the day it occurred which is in column "A" of the same row as the min temp. How do I get that? I thought this would work; {=ADDRESS(ROWS(D7:D2001=Z127),1)} but that gives me an erroneous address. Another question: If ...

getting data into columns
I have to get data into columns. the data is in rows for example cell B (W436), cell B2 (X32), cell B3 (Y4639890), cell B4 (Z58911) cell C (X453), cell C2 (Z54786), cell C3 (W213), C4 (Y576). I need to get th data in order. Then into W,X,Y,Z columns so the data all lines up. Thanks to all, Willia -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Hi You don't make it clear from your post which values go into which columns. You'll probably need something including OFFSET() but without understanding your task it's difficult to advise. -- Andy. "William >" <<...

Inverting the contents of a column question
In Excel I have a column that has a word in each cell from cells A1 to A20. How can I invert this column of words, for example into column B so that the contents of A1 fills B20 and A2 fills B19 etc. Thanks. hi enter the following formula in A1 =OFFSET($B$20,-(ROW(1:1)-1),0) and copy down -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "stuart" <stuart@discussions.microsoft.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:C2F12AA8-E482-43AC-AA77-1EF4BFDCC082@microsoft.com... > In Excel I have a column that has a word in each cell from cells A1 to A20. How can I invert this column of words, fo...

Vlookup but two rows below
Hi, I have a requirement to extract some data which under normal circumstances would be ease as the formula =VLOOKUP(C2,$R$12:$T$1010,3,0) would return the correct result if R12 contained 301 and T12 contained XYZ i.e. XYZ would be returned. However, I want to return the contents of cell T14 which is always 2 rows below the match in column R. Appreciate any help. Ta, Rob ...

How can I see column headings of hidden columns in Excel before u.
I have a large spreadsheet with several columns hidden. I want to unhide a specific column that I know has a column name of Project Owner. How can I determine which column to unhide to see the desired column without unhiding all of the columns? I tried the find feature, but that did not help. assuming you have your name in row 1 of the column, you could use MATCH or in vba you could use FIND Sub findcol() Columns(Rows(1).Find("yournamehere").Column).Hidden = False End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "Beachcomber" <Beachcomber@discussions.m...

Advanced Find Command??
Is there an advanced find command or some kind of command where I can search through a particular column of dates and go to each row where the date is less than Feb 1, 2005. I thought I could use either the filter command but couldn't use the advanced filter to find dates?? Try an AutoFilter. Specify "Custom" on drop-down and select "is less than" and then the date. HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Is there an advanced find command or some kind of command where I can search >through a particular column of dates and go to each row ...

line and column numbers
Hi In Word'03 I am trying to find out how you would insert text into a document at line and column number reference points . so I know that on page 1 and 2 and 3 I would like to enter the value of "1" at Ln 1 Col 35 how would I do this in VBA code. Thanks for your help. Rob -- robhargreaves ------------------------------------------------------------------------ robhargreaves's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=25519 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=392120 The best way is to cheat: record t...

Column heading changed from letters to numbers
Using Excel 2000, all my spreadsheets have changed from having letters at the top of the columns to numbers. How do I change back? Joe Busch Tools / Options / General / Uncheck 'R1C1 reference Style' -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL2K & XLXP ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- "joe busch" <jbusch@ui.u...

how to find time difference between timestamps to a millisecond?
I have two columns which contain timestamps in the format of yyyy-mm-dd hh:mm:ss:msmsms (the last three digits are the milliseconds). I need to find the difference of the timestamps in ss:msmsms format. I am trying to implement a VB function to do this as there is no predefined function available. Can anyone please assist? Thanks! If you have date/time in exactly that format (ie 05 for fifth month not just 5) then this formula will convert your data to Excel's date/time format =DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,6,2),MID(A1,9,2))+TIME(MID(A1,12,2),MID(A1,15,2),MID(A1,18,2))+RIGHT(A1,3)/1000/60/...

Windows Media Player says ERROR: Cannot Find File Setting up sync
When I try to set up the sync for my microsd card, it says Windows Media Player cannot find the file. If you are trying to play, burn, or sync an item that is in your library, the item might point to a file that has been moved, renamed, or deleted. I haven't even selected any files from the library TO sync. I'm just trying to set up the sync for my device! It's done that with BOTH of my micro sd cards, and it's VERY aggravating. Please help. (I have Windows XP basic home edition, and Windows Media Player 11) ...

How can I add the "To" column heading to show up in ALL email fold
I have over 500 folders in my Outlook 2003. One for each customer, etc. I desperately need the "to" column to show up as default between the "From" and "Subject" for all my customer folders. This is because there are emails in each customer folder that are sent to various recipients so I need a way to find those fast. Outlook seems to omit this "to" gray cell in their default column settings. I know that you can do this to each folder individually be going in to the "Customize View" and selecting the "field" button but this...

OnFileOpen, OnFileSaveAs remembers last directory
Hello! I have all documents for my application in CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA\MyApp[1] and I have created CMyAppDoc::OnFileOpen() and CMyAppDoc::OnFileSaveAs() and in them I SetCurrentDirectory() like this: SHGetFolderPath( NULL, CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA, NULL,0, szAppData ); filepath = szAppData; filepath += _T("\\MyApp\\"); SetCurrentDirectory(filepath); Then in OnFileOpen I call: BOOL brc = AfxGetApp()->DoPromptFileName(filepath1,AFX_IDS_APP_TITLE ,OFN_HIDEREADONLY | OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST, TRUE, NULL); if(brc) AfxGetApp()->OpenDocumentFile(filepath1); and in OnFileSaveAs I c...

retain hyperlink target when adding/deleting rows
How can I retain the hyperlink target cell when adding or deleting rows in the target sheet? Please describe what it is that you want to happen, or what is happening that you don't want to happen with an exact description of how to reproduce you problem. There are object hyperlinks, and there is HYPERLINK Worksheet Function. If you delete the row that hyperlink pointed to you are going to get an error, so what would you want to happen instead. --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm...

where do I find my serial number?
I have microsoft office on my laptop, and want to take it off and put it on my main desktop. I cannot find my serial number anywhere...it has to be listed somewhere on my laptop...can anyone help?? heather In article <ed975fa9.0401011832.70ba6582@posting.google.com>, kallhoff@dailypost.com (heather) wrote: > I have microsoft office on my laptop, and want to take it off and put > it on my main desktop. I cannot find my serial number anywhere...it > has to be listed somewhere on my laptop...can anyone help?? > First - you're allowed under your End User License Agree...

Wrong Columns for Credit Card
I recently started using Money 2006 and setup my Direct Merchants Bank Mastercard to update automatically through online updates. Everything downloads and gets entered into the account, but it would appear that charges are going into the credit column and credits are going into the charge column. This means that when I try to categorize a payment from my bank account to the credit card, it shows up in the correct column in the credit card account, but this throws everything in that account off. Why is it acting so strangely? My Amex card updates correctly and puts the transactions in...

Macro to select 4 entire rows and then delete rows
Afternoon All, Ive never written a macro before. So excuse me if this is dead simple. With VBA how can I create a macro that when I select an entire row with the mouse then run the macro. It selects the next 3 entire rows below then, deletes these rows. Any help will be appreciated, Scott V One way: Public Sub Delete4Rows() Selection.Resize(4).EntireRow.Delete End Sub In article <eyWBrr5vFHA.1032@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, "Scott Viney" <scott@kar.com.au> wrote: > Afternoon All, > > Ive never written a macro before. So excuse me if t...