Finding duplicate entries in lengthly list of names

_Finding_duplicate_entries_in_list_

---

Check out this site Sherry
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1  XL2000-2003)

"Sherry Kaufman >" <<Sherry.Kaufman.10153u@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> _Finding_duplicate_entries_in_list_
>

> ---

rondebruin (3790)
1/14/2004 4:34:49 PM
Hi

maybe you can give some more details. Some possible solutions
1. Assuming your list is in Row A, you can use columns B as helper
columns. Insert the following formula in B1
=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)
and copy this formula for all rows
This will show you the numer each entry occurs. Now you can sort this
columns B (descending order) or filter

2. You can Use 'Data - Filter - Advanced Filter' to create a new list
without duplicates

There are more solutions. Search Google for existing posts in this
newsgroup

Frank

0
frank.kabel (11126)
1/14/2004 4:35:08 PM
Hi Sherry,
You could easily find that by searching the newsgroup
archives   http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/xlnews.htm

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:*Excel*&num=100

Most of the postings are simply going to refer to
  Tagging Duplicate entries
   http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm
--
---
HTH,

"Sherry Kaufman >" <<Sherry.Kaufman.10153u@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message
> _Finding_duplicate_entries_in_list_
>

> ---

dmcritchie (2586)

Want use results of Drop down list to look up a value
I am using Excel 2002 and I have a multisheet workbook and on the first sheet I have created a series of 6 drop down lists pulling from predefined named ranges. I also have limited subsequent choices based on what is selected in the other lists. The end result is the user will be selecting parameters that identify a product and now I am stuck with an easy way to look up the associated part number based on the parameters they selected. Essentially, once they have chosen the parameters in the list, I would like to create a macro that uses those values to locate the associated part...

Show email address instead of contact name
How can I make Outlook 2000 show the typed email address instead of resolving to the contact name in printouts of the contacts list and in the address boxes of email ? For example, I have a list of contacts in a custom list view with the email fields showing. Several of the entries in the email fields have resolved to the name of the contact. I want to see their email address not their name again. Also, a second example. I have three email addresses for a person, in the Email1, Email2, and Email3 fields. I go to send an email and instead of selecting the default from the addressbook/contact ...

copy sheet with range names
I'm making 2 copies of an existing worksheet within a workbook. The original sheet has lots of range names. Now, when I make my copies, the range names are screwed up and are referring to the new sheet instead of the original one. What's up with that? I don't see any options related to range names. Deleting and resetting the names would take forever, as would "re-defining". I shouldn't have to do that. Any ideas? -- RMC,CPA I think if you look at your range names, you'll find that xl localized the copies. When it copied the worksheet, it had to do something ...

Adding members to Marketing Lists whilst offline
Hi, When in Offline mode of CRM 3.0, the 'Manage Members' button in the Marketing List Members section of Marketing Lists screen is not available. Does anybody know if it is possible to change the configuration to display this button, and allow users to add members to marketing lists whilst working offline? Thanks Hi Steve, Sorry, but CRM 3.0 does not allow the managing of List members while in Offline mode. You must be online with your client or using the web client in order to manage the list members. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and...

duplicate transactions
A fatal error occurs when I work in Money I get booted out and when I log back in the transactions of my money homepage have been tripled thus rendering the home page useless. Any ideas what may be wrong? It depends on what that 'fatal error' says. Suggest you post the details of that too. -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or email mnyukwsh@microsoft.com especially if it&#...

Access unwanted automatic data entry
when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to the next field, it often enters a number in that field. Why does it do that nad how can I make it stop! Are entering data direcctly into Access table? If so, stop doing that, unless you only do it occasionally to repair data in database and you know database design and manage it. "Pat the biologist" <Pat the biologist@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6B724974-C937-4C5C-BDBA-1A086C0712A1@microsoft.com... > when entering data in my Access table, if i use the tab ket to advance to...

Call up computer name
[Excel 2003] Is there a way to retrieve the computer identity/name and display it in a listbox on a userform? regards, Roger uName =3D Environ("computername") Me.ListBox1.AddItem uName On Dec 3, 9:30=A0am, Roger on Excel <RogeronEx...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > [Excel 2003] > > Is there a way to retrieve the computer identity/name and display it in a > listbox on a userform? > > regards, > > Roger Thanks - works nicely Roger "muddan madhu" wrote: > > uName = Environ("computern...

Changing name from Arabic to English
I, m registering all new recruitment employees so always I'm writing the employee name by Arabic and English. So there is any code to change automatically the person name for Arabic to English ...

dropdown list problem for newbie
i have a column(A) where each cell is a dropdownlist(same list). if person chooses an item from that list...can it return a correspondin value? example: my drop down list corresponding value animal 005 building 1174 vehicle 3345 so for a specific cell...lets say A1, i choose building from th dropdown. i want it to return a value of 1174 in cell A1. is this possible? if so please help? thx eri -- enag ----------------------------------------------------------------------- enags'...

no option to add display name
I am running outlook xp on a both win98 and xp machines. In neither case can I find or set a display name for my email account (ie so others will see my display name). I have seen various suggestions about going to email accounts/change but there is just no option there for 'display name'. Is it something to do with the 'mode' of install? any advice appreciated david marcus David Marcus <dmarcus@netspeed.NO-SPAM.com.au> wrote: > I am running outlook xp on a both win98 and xp machines. In neither > case can I find or set a display name for my email account ...

Entourage: Calendar User Name Incorrect-Correct elsewhere.

Find Future Value of a Savings Account
I am trying to set up a spreadsheet that determines the future value of a savings account. Take a look at the FV function in XL Help. In article <EC8EEB72-AF22-47D8-A266-839CA9356725@microsoft.com>, "gingerjane" <gingerjane@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to set up a spreadsheet that determines the future value of a > savings account. ...

Fonts name using CDC
Hello, I am drawing text using CDC (MFC control). How can I know all the Fonts available? does anyone know the font list available (if so please, and it is not so long, please write it, or at least tell me how to get it) thanks! Mathieu "Mathieu Fregeau" <mathieu.fregeau@polymtl.ca> wrote in message news:fAg0b.670$HB4.154408@news20.bellglobal.com... > Hello, > > I am drawing text using CDC (MFC control). How can I know all the Fonts > available? does anyone know the font list available (if so please, and it is > not so long, please write it, or at least te...

Appending data in cells that utilize a Dropdown list.
Hello all, I would like to append entries in cells that utilize a dropdown list. Currently, when I select (in this case names) from my dropdown list I cannot append them if I want to add more than one to a cell. If I select another name from the dropdown, it erases the first entry. Is there some way to append entries within cells that use this form of validation so that I can enter more than one in a cell from the dd list? -- Thanks, Geek using Office XP Professional Hi Geek Debra Dalgleish has an example workbook showing how to do this http://www.contextures.com/excelfiles.html...

Exchange 2003 All Address Lists
In Exchange 2003, under System Manager | Recipients | All Address Lists, I do not want users in Outlook to able to see the default address lists: All Contacts, All Groups, All Users, Public Folders. I would rather create my own Address Lists which contain specific grouping of users. What is the best way to go about this? For example, should I delete the default address lists, and create my own? Yes you can do that. When you say "Groups", let's clarify something. You cannot filter them based on AD domain group membership. You must use an LDAP filter to identify groups...

Finding text
I am using Excel 2007, I have a column containing formulas that would return a name if true and a zero if false. I want to search the column for the text entry and return that text as the answer. Can I do this or should the column formulas be changed to something else? The "T" formula seems to work only for one cell not the whole column. It's not real clear what you want to do. Here's my best guess... Assume you want to know if John is in the range. =IF(COUNTIF(A1:A100,"John"),"John","not found") Better to use a cell to hold the criter...

Find and loop help-multiple columns
I an trying to write a macro to search for a cell value in one column and see if it occurs in other columns I'm having 2 problems: 1. How can I look from the last used row up to row 4 in "myrange+5" as set below? 2. How can I look in all other columns beside the "myrange+5" column named "Route Number(s)"? Am I completely off track?? With lastperiod 'Find the last used column myrange = ActiveSheet.UsedRange.Columns.Count ActiveSheet.Cells(1, myrange + 2).Select 'find the last row therow = ActiveSheet.Cells.Fi...

Assigning category after entry reconciled
I have a reconciled credit card transaction in my checking account register that needs to have several category corrections, but after I make the changes and hit "done", it defaults back to the original entry. I've tried marking the entry as unreconciled, but it makes no difference. If I make the changes without hitting "done", the changes remain until I close the application, then when I re-open, it displays the old information. BTW, this is Money 2006 Small Business "GHS" wrote: > I have a reconciled credit card transaction in my checking account...

How to find Tools menu
Hi there - I'm trying to configure my Accounts and can't find my Tools Icon in the Menu Bar - is it located in some secret place? Have tried to 'restore' under standard and advanced menus in case I had deleted it somehow, but it's still not appearing Any help much appreciated! thanks Feldy Which menus do you see now? By default they are the following; File | Edit | View | Go | Tools | Actions | Help Otherwise force a reset on your Toolbars by renaming outcmd.dat to .old. For details see; http://www.msoutlook.info/question/19 -- Robert Sparnaaij [...

Duplicate .pst files #3
How do I get rid of a extra .pst file for Microsoft Outlook 2000? My operating system is Microsoft Windows Professional 2000. My company does not have Microsoft Exchange. We use Novell as a server. Somehow I ended up with two .pst folders: The Outlook Today, and one that is named "Personal Folders". I can't close it the Personal Folders; if I try to close it, I get the error; "The operation failed, the object could not be found". It gives me the same message when I go into the personal properties, advanced section. I went into mail icon in the Contacts folder, but i...

dist list
I have a list of people distributed on week days, such as: Monday: alex, rose, lisa Tuesday: george, gary, mitch wed: ...... Th:..... Fr:.... I would like to create a dist group say named "meeting" and when i send email to "meeting" address on monday, alex, rose, lisa will receive the mail only and if i send on tuesday george, gary, mitch will receive the mail only..... Any suggestions are highly appreciated... Thanks... -- renomero "renomero" <renomero.59201dc@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:renomero.59201dc@outlookbanter.com... >...

publishing lists in excel
I'm trying to publish a list from excel to sharepoint window services. I get an error: cannot connect to the server at this time. Your list cannot be published. I've checked off all the troubleshooting alerts except one (You cannot create a list in a shared workbook). Since I'm on sharepoint windows, I don't have the option of sharing or not sharing my workbook (its greyed out) and I CAN create a list in Excel. I just can't published it to my sharepoint site. I want to set-up a synchronized list with my excel worksheet and sharepoint site. The TEST data is only 1 l...

Is there an executable file Outlook uses to find the default browser?
Hello, I do IT support for a company that uses restricted computers (they will only run allowable .exe files). Some of our users have Firefox as their default browser, when they try to open links in Outlook, they get an error message saying the operation has been canceled due to restrictions on this computer. (which is the error one would get when trying to run executables that haven't been OK'd) Other than opening the links in Outlook, Firefox works fine. The reason I think there is some executable running is if I unrestrict the computer the links open fine. I checked for changes t...

How to populate a value list
I have a field that is a valuelist. I select the value from a list that I typed in. That is fine. But I need to have those value in the order of selection. Ex : I have in the list the value from a to z. I select f, m, a. I want them to show up in that oder. At best I would like to use the same thing as Access when we define a combobox, we have 2 lists : the available field and the selected fields with 4 buttons in the middle. Can that be done ? Thank you -- eric On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 10:10:01 -0800, ericb <eric@b.com> wrote: >I have a field that is a ...

Duplicate messages ++++ HELP....
I am using Outlook 2002. Setup with one email account only as on offline user to 5.5 Exchange. When I do the send/receive via dial up I pull down whatever messages are on the Server down to the .PST file. Yet when I dial in again I get the same messages over and over. Again I only have one email account setup on the laptop. And it is setup to work offline with a .PST file. Everything I have read and found pertaining to this is if you have multiple acounts setup under the send/receive. This is not the case here. Getting tired of Microsofts constant change and lack of documentation of ...