Finding an asterisk

How can I search/find an asterisk in a cell?  I've tried
and the find dialog box locates cells with any text.  I'm
trying to find a cell that contains three asteriskx.

Hi Gary,

Try ~*

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"Gary Callahan" <garycallahan@bmwconcord.com> wrote in message
> How can I search/find an asterisk in a cell?  I've tried
> and the find dialog box locates cells with any text.  I'm
> trying to find a cell that contains three asteriskx.

0
lhkittle1 (70)
10/14/2003 8:16:20 PM
Precede the * in the Find box with a tilde, eg ~*

--
Regards
                   Sys Spec - Win XP Pro /  XL2K & XLXP

  Attitude - A little thing that makes a BIG difference

"Gary Callahan" <garycallahan@bmwconcord.com> wrote in message
> How can I search/find an asterisk in a cell?  I've tried
> and the find dialog box locates cells with any text.  I'm
> trying to find a cell that contains three asteriskx.

---

ken.wright (2489)
10/14/2003 8:17:44 PM
The tilde character is the "escape" character:

~*

Also works when you want to search for a ?:

~?

To search for a tilde, use two:

~~

--
HTH -

-Frank Isaacs
Dolphin Technology Corp.
http://vbapro.com

"Gary Callahan" <garycallahan@bmwconcord.com> wrote in message
> How can I search/find an asterisk in a cell?  I've tried
> and the find dialog box locates cells with any text.  I'm
> trying to find a cell that contains three asteriskx.

0
frank8273 (76)
10/14/2003 8:46:29 PM
Thanks all.  Worked like a charm.

Unable to find WAB DLL
error message: An error occurred while attempting to open Windows Address Book. Unable to find WAB DLL. I'm running Outlook 2000 on XP. The above message shows up everything I try to save/change a contact or when doing a lookup "by clicking on the TO: button" on sending an email. Searching the windows/system32 folder I do find OUTLWAB.DLL. I also have a wab32.dll at Windows/ServicePackfiles/i386. Does anyone know which WAB DLL file the message is referring to? Thanks. Post your mail support mode of Outlook 2000. Line 2 of Help | About, if you don't know. -- R...

CRM Outlook Client error, not finding sender in CRM
Most of my users work just fine. But I have a couple that are causing me problems. When they create an email in Outlook 2003, and they choose to track the email in CRM, when they send it, it comes up with an error that says "The sender does not have an e-mail address in CRM......". This only happens to a couple of users. I have not been able to find any difference between their accounts and any of the users who are working. They are all logged into the domain, and their accounts are all setup in crm using the domain accounts they are logged in with, and the email address ...

how do i find PHStat under excel?
http://www.prenhall.com/phstat/phstat1/setup(ver1).html -- Ken Russell kenrussellyourhat@optushome.com.au Remove yourhat to reply by e-mail .. "ftybur" <ftybur@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A396F07F-614A-496A-8DC2-96309D805894@microsoft.com... > LOL - Love that spam trap message -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- It's easier to beg forgiveness than ask p...

Quicken can't find my 2007 Money file
I recently attempted to install "Q" 2010 but it won't import from my 2007 Money file. It says it can't find it. I tried using their "chat" support but chickened out when the rep wanted me to import Money 2008. My Money file is nearly 20 years old and contains my complete financial history for that time period. I am paranoid about protecting it. Anybody have any thoughts about why "Q" can't find my file? It isn't imperative that I convert now ....or in the future probably.... but I thought I would test the water. If Q can't find i...

Is there somewhere to find the html code for my email?
I created an email using publisher and I would like to find the html code. Is there a way to do this? I am having problems sending this email to my group and would like the code to use in another email program - can anyone help - please!!! basic enough - just want to get the code and be able to copy it... can anyone help with that - I am really slow at this - I need help like yesterday! "ajkawinkelman" wrote: > I created an email using publisher and I would like to find the html code. > Is there a way to do this? I am having problems sending this email to my >...

Forms manager dialog box? CAN'T FIND THIS FOLDER
The Outlook forms cache (forms cache: The folder located in C:\Windows\Forms that serves as a storage location for forms.) is corrupt. To repair the forms cache, you need to clear its contents. Open the Forms Manager dialog box. How? On the Tools menu, click Options. Click the Other tab. Under General, click Advanced Options. In the Advanced Options dialog box, under Appearance options, click Custom Forms. In the Custom Forms dialog box, click Manage Forms. In the Forms Manager dialog box, click Set. In the Set Library To, dialog box, under Forms Library, select Personal Forms. Click...

Finding text
I'm recording a macro to use across multiple documents. One task of the macro is to select a text string in the document and then take actions with multiple occurances of that string. The "non-programmed" way of doing this is to select the string, copy it, open the find box, and paste the string into the find window and click "Find Next." When I record these actions, the actual selected text gets saved into the macro as follows: With Selection.Find .Text = " Selected text" The next time I run the macro, in another file, wit...

Find Folder Names
Hi To find a list of files within a folder no problem, but I am stuck trying to find all folder names within a folder In folder Music I have 900 folders of the artists name I want to loop through each folder to check the data created. Can you help please? Post the code you are using to find files at the moment because there should be little difference between finding files and finding folders. The best way to find files is to use the FindFirst, FindNext and FindClose triplet of APIs, this returns files & folders and all you need to do is test their attributes to work out wh...

Find formula not calculating?
Hi All I'm using Excel 2007 on Windows Vista. I have a decription in column I like "S/back 2.0 TDI SE DSG " and in column Q I have the formula FIND("DSG",$I2). Looks simple enough to me but it isnt bringing the result I want! Just an #VALUE! error value. Can anyone see what I am doing wrong? In column R I have FIND("multi",$I2) and thats working fine!! Many Thanks! Adam If your description is accurate (i.e., that $I2 contains "S/back 2.0 TDI SE DSG "), then your formula in column R (FIND("multi",$I2) should return #VALUE!, so ar...

Find A Value In Sheet?
I have a Sheet with price list contains three columns. First is IDCode for particular item, second is item title and third column is price of item. I would like to make another sheet in which I could make an order based on mentioned price list and every time I enter code of item in order list it should be connected to Sheet with price list and get price from third column that coresponds to item code i have entered into order list? I know that there are many easier ways to accomplish this without using Excel but is there any way to do it with Excel?? :confused: -- BL69 ---------------------...

Where do I find lost email messages in Outlook?
I use Outlook 2003 for email. Suddenly today all of my "Sent" messages in folders have disappeared. Can anyone help by advising me how I can retrieve them please? Are you using a view that hides read messages? Are you using AutoArchive? Do you have more than 1 pst? Switch to the folder list view (Ctrl+6) to check for more sent folders. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EM...

Excel 2007: Finding Column Position
Is there a formula that can look at a row of labels and return the columnar position of a designated value? For instance: Row A: Apples Oranges Pears Peaches How can I programmatically determine the column number for Pears? The end result is I am trying to do a VLOOKUP but the column number may be dynamic though the label will always be the same. Thanks, David Row 1 (not row A): =match("pears",1:1,0) will return the number of the column (if it finds a match) or an error (if there is no match). Debra Dalgleish has some samples that you may w...

Find row and add variable amount to it
I want to choose a selection from a drop-down list, then type in an amount in a nearby cell, and I want it to find the matching row of the item I chose from the drop-down list and enter that amount into that row (and add it to any amount that is already there, because that cell will already have a formula in it, and I want to add to that formula). For ex., let's say Column A has labels. A1, A3 and A5 are labelled "Rafter." A2, A4 and A6 are labelled "Amount." A9:A13 are labelled "5001":"5005", respectively. These represent the various names/t...

web components cannot find office xp license
I would like to use Web Components with Interactivity, but this is not working on our installation of Office XP. We are a college with a site license for Office XP and it is installed on a network drive (which you probably don't support, but please read on). The products are all installed locally then part of it is moved to a network drive just for space considerations. They are all activated properly. When I use Web Components in Excel, I can't get interactivity on the resulting web page. But I CAN get it if I access the web page from another computer with a regular Office XP ins...

Find: runtime error 1004 Application-defined or object-defined error
At the "Find" line, I get a runtime error 1004 Application-defined or object-defined error. I tried Googling this, but I could not find a solution for this particular occurrence. My code may be found below. Can anyone help? Thanks, Alan Sub ExtractMessages() Dim row As Long, LastRow As Long, temp As String, MsgRow As Long, LastMsgRow As Long, FindMsgName As String Dim pos As Integer, message As String, purpose As String, initiation As String, trigger As String Dim msgstriggered As String, MessageWS As Object, MessageListWS As Object, rng As Range...

keyboard shortcut to return to previous cell after "find" or "got.
Is there any easy way to returnt to the previously selected cells? This is helpful especially after "goto" or "find". Hi, One way is to have 2 macros, both with their own shortcuts, one to store the current active cell address, and the other to use that stored address to reset the active cell. The macro would store the address somewhere on the sheet, or in a Public statement. Or a single macro could be used, which toggles between storing and restoring, depending on the state of the storage address. Would this be of help? Regards - Dave. "Nadavb" wrote: &g...

Syntax to combine MID() and FIND("LastPost:") to extract the Last Post Date ?
I want to organize my Tech Doc by Subject and Post Date. I am looking to extract the Last post date, but I cannot really use the right() function due to the date variable length. I need to create a loop thru all rows in Column A, FIND "Last post:", skip one character and copy the next 12 characters for the Last post date in Column B Column A contains one string of variable length. Post header text.... - 5 posts - 2 authors - Last post: Nov 21, 2008 Post Header text.... - 2 posts - 2 authors - Last post: Nov 25 ....... Sub PostDate() Set Sht =Sheets("Sheet...

How do I find a specific word in a document
I don't want to replace...I just want to find & read every mention of the word "diagnostic", for example. I'm sure this is basic but I can't figure it out. Thanks, Ctrl+F, then enter the word and then click on Find Next -- Hope this helps, Doug Robbins - Word MVP Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to obtain my services on a paid professional basis. "Frank" <Frank@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8813CD1F-5C68-41D1-B2F4-86505B240BFF@microsoft.com... >I don't want to replace...I just want to ...

can't find the macros
I recently put a macro in a worksheet, but then deleted it. Now, whenever I open the worksheet a message appears that asks to enable or disable the macros. I've gone through the worksheets and can't find any macros. How can I get rid of them?? remove the module "joseph" <jdr99a at yahoo dot com> wrote in message news:6B660AF7-6E96-4D23-BAF8-95F2AFA16888@microsoft.com... > I recently put a macro in a worksheet, but then deleted it. Now, whenever I open the worksheet a message appears that asks to enable or disable the macros. I've gone through the worksheets and...

Can find an old delegate.
Hi All, When I send a meeting request to a specific user, I get an NDR for someone different, someone who I am assuming was a delegate for this person. Trouble is, I am buggered if I can find where it is specified. (Unless I am missing somewhere??) Is there a trick to finding AND removing these as I know its not the only one I have? NDR: Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: Testing only - disregard. Sent: 10/03/2006 12:38 PM The following recipient(s) could not be reached: Rob Gryf on 10/03/2006 12:38 PM The messa...

Mail merging from results of an advanced find???
Hi Is it possible to run a mail merge from a set of results found after doing an advanced find on contacts in Outlook? Simon No. Filter you Contacts Folder instead, then do the merge from there. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Simon" <simonanquetil@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:036501c3c430$5badb190$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Hi > > Is it possible to run a mail merge from a set of results > found after doing an advanced find on contacts in Outlook? > > Simon ...

Looking up & Finding Stuff in another worksheet
I have, on the first worksheet, a series of item in the 1st column. For example Blue Yellow Orange Grey Brown White Red In the second worksheet I have another series of items in the 1st column & a number in the 2nd column. Red 2 Green 3 Grey 12 Blue 10 Brown 5 White 1 Black 0 Yellow 15 Orange 7 Taupe 5 Back to the 1st worksheet. If I wanted to use "Blue", the 1st value to look for "10" in the second worksheet, would I use the VLookup function, or Lookup. Perhaps there is another way... Yes, =vlookup(...

Outlook 2003 is not finding recent messages using the find function
One of our client have problems when searching for a message in his inbox. Recent received mails are not found. Only mails who are already a few hours in his inbox are found . The cashing is enabled. On the exchange server the full text indexing is disabled. His inbox contains +/- 20.000 mails In news:OOGMGUZAGHA.3352@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl, Paul <pcauwe@hotmail.com> typed: > One of our client have problems when searching for a message in his > inbox. Recent received mails are not found. Only mails who are > already a few hours in his inbox are found . The cashing is enabled....

Cannot find a filter
Dear All. When trying to use Clipart Gallery in Publisher 2000, I keep getting the following error when try to load the photographs from the Gallery:- "Publisher cannot find the necessary converter or filter" This only occurs in publisher, not word. I have tried the following:- 1. Detect and repair 2. Uninstalling and reinstalling 3, using the Microsoft office clean uninstall tool I have also uninstalled office 2000 as well as publisher, and done a reinstall of both, but still get this error message. Can any suggest how to solve this problem please? -- Barry Angus This e-mail...

Calendar: Can't find project or library
With help from this group some years ago the code, below, was developed. But now, having upgraded to Office 2010, I get an error message that says "Can't find project or library" and I can't figure out what steps I need to take to resolve. The help suggests I need to do the following, but I can't even see how to Display the References dialog box. Display the References dialog box. Select the missing reference. Start the Object Browser. Use the Browse dialog box to find the missing reference. Click OK. Repeat the preceding steps until all missing references are resolved...