Find file using first 2 digits

How can I search for a file using the first to digits of the filename?

--
aking1987
aking1987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15393

Manually:

Windows start button|Find (or Search)
Search for XY*.xls

(change XY to what you want)

You can also use this technique in the File|open dialog.

aking1987 wrote:

> How can I search for a file using the first to digits of the filename?
>
> --
> aking1987
> aking1987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15393
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=319299

--

Dave Peterson
0

Code
-------------------

  "X:\EXAMPLE\" & Worksheets("sheet1").Range("A1").Value & "\40***\47***\" & Subnumber & "\" & discipline & "\Reports\Report.xls
-------------------

--
aking198
aking1987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1539
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=31929

Not in xl2002.  What happened when you tried it?

aking1987 wrote:

> Would that work for folder names?
>
> Code:
> --------------------
>
>   "X:\EXAMPLE\" & Worksheets("sheet1").Range("A1").Value & "\40***\47***\" & Subnumber & "\" & discipline & "\Reports\Report.xls"
> --------------------
>
> --
> aking1987
> aking1987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15393
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=319299

--

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)
11/22/2004 6:06:52 PM
nothing, couldnt find the file.

--
aking1987
aking1987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15393
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=319299

I see you have another thead going in a different newsgroup.  I'll defer to that
group.

aking1987 wrote:

> nothing, couldnt find the file.
>
> --
> aking1987
> aking1987's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=15393
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=319299

--

Dave Peterson
0
ec357201 (5290)

File size #11

More Columns #2

find action on log file

excel database 25,000 plus names #2
I am working with a database i set up in excel. It has over 25,000 names, total size of file is 274mb. If i transfer all my data from an excel database to access, will i work faster. Right now it takes forever to open and save. I am told it is not my computer. any tips??? -- mikedipaol ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mikedipaola's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3568 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=55465 ...

circular files; iterating to a "correct" solution
I am working with a circular file. I have been making changes to the file, and I have noticed at times when i manually calculate that the file iterates to an obviously "incorrect" solution. No amount of changing the max no of iterations or the max change seems to fix the problem. It iterates to the same "incorrect" solution every time. It is like it is stuck in a rut and can't get out. I have also noticed that, if I manually calculate each worksheet separately (that is, hit shift - f9 simulaneously on each worksheet individually, from left to right) all the ...

Maximum file sizes

Find and Replace Footnote Numbering
I often have documents where I need to put formatting before or after the footnote number for every footnote, often for hundreds of footnotes...anyone know how I can do this in one shot? I know I can specify ^f in find and replace, but only in the find portion...it gives an error if you put it in replace. ...

Using Relative path for XML data file?

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Linking files 2 ways

how to find an item in a list control?