Find - Entire Cells only

Hi All,

Whenever I search for something (CTRL+F) in excel it always defaults to the
"Find entire cells only" setting.

Is there any way I can change this default setting - I want it to search for
any cell , not whole cells, by default.

Thanks

Andi

0
andibevan (33)

I use xl2003 and when I first open excel (with a blank workbook), I hit ctrl-f,
then that option is not checked.

But excel likes to help.  It remembers the previous settings that you
used--including any VBA code that you may have run.

Are you sure that it's the default and not the result of a previous find?

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks

Andi

"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@netscapeXSPAM.com> wrote in message
> I use xl2003 and when I first open excel (with a blank workbook), I hit
ctrl-f,
> then that option is not checked.
>
> But excel likes to help.  It remembers the previous settings that you
> used--including any VBA code that you may have run.
>
> Are you sure that it's the default and not the result of a previous find?
>
> Andibevan wrote:
> >
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Whenever I search for something (CTRL+F) in excel it always defaults to
the
> > "Find entire cells only" setting.
> >
> > Is there any way I can change this default setting - I want it to search
for
> > any cell , not whole cells, by default.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Andi
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
andibevan (33)

Excel keeps taking me back to cell A1 !!!
I tried this in another forum, but wasn�t able to get the help needed. I have a Mac (Dual 2 GHz, PowerPC G5) running OSX 10.4.8, with Office 2004 for Mac (11.3.3). In Excel, I go down to cell...say K121 (it can be ANY cell), choose the cell, go to type and the screen jumps up to the A1 row while you are typing in cell K121. It shows what you are typing in the formula bar, but it's a real pain to keep going back down to the row you are working on to see what it looks like or to go to another cell. I do not have to have the �marching ants� border for this to happen, it also happens...

cell format changing when when using search and replace.
I have a macro that places a large number of pictures on a spreadsheet. I would like the pictures to show as "placeholders" to speed up viewing/editing. The only problem is that this feature (under Tools/Options/View) does not work. All the images are being display normally. I have tried this in Excel 2000/2003/XP with the same result. This feature works great in MS Word. Please help. To see what I'm talking about. Go to Tools/Options/View and check the "Show Placeholders" option. Now insert a picture or clipart. The image will be displayed normally instead of just a b...

Formating cell
I have a number say 100.00, I would like to make it into 1+00 so for 236.50 the cell would produce 2+36.50 and for 24.36 will make it 0+24.36 Can this be done in Excel? Thanks for the help! C. Fillmore Hi, Try custom formatting the cells as follows: 0+00.00 Hope this helps! In article <2CCF6B37-6CDE-4092-95C0-778D26AA9D12@microsoft.com>, surveyorinva <surveyorinva@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I have a number say 100.00, I would like to make it into 1+00 > so for 236.50 the cell would produce 2+36.50 and for 24.36 will make it > 0+24.36 > Can this be done ...

make cell entries a negative number
I have a situation where I would like the number entered into a cell to always be a negative number. Seems like it should be easy but I can't seem to get it. Any suggestions? gls858 if you use the negative of the absolute value =-ABS(B32) --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "gls858" <gls858@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:usqxoltlFHA.3312@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a situation where I wo...

Not finding Records
My listbox [lstModify]contains a field [ClientDetail] but my combo box cmbFindClients is not finding the records , does my Code look OK? Private Sub cmbFindClients_AfterUpdate() Me!lstModify.RowSource = "SELECT * FROM qryClientInvoice Where [ClientDetail] Like " & Me.cmbFindClients If Me!lstModify.ListCount = 0 Then MsgBox "Sorry, there's nothing for " & Me.cmbFindClients.Column(1) End If End Sub -- Thanks in advance for any help with this......Bob MS Access 2007 accdb Windows XP Home Edition Ver 5.1 Service Pack 3 Thanks to Alle...

How do I find the amount of hours between times?
I am creating a costed roster spread sheet. I would like to be able to calculate amount of hours between entered times and result be displayed in decimal number format i.e. In: 8:00am Out: 2:30pm Result: 6.5 Or........ In: 8:00 Out: 14:30 Result: 6.5 Is this possible in excel? If so how? Thanks Jim Gorman Hi Jim Sure. With start time in A1 and end time in B1: =(B1-A1+(B1<A1))*24 Format the result cell as decimal number. HTH. best wishes Harald "gormanj" <gormanj@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:A0EB2B4F-978B-4536-8AF4-41DD20177EBA@microsoft.com... > ...

Unprotect cells in a worksheet when I have forgotten the password
I have created a worksheet some time ago and protected certain cell within it and gave the worksheet a password in order to edit it. Unfortunately I can no longer remember the password and to save me creating the worksheet again it would be better if there was a way round this or a small program that will remove the password for me. Your help is appreciated. Try this link to John McGimpsey's site: http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/removepwords.html -- HTH, RD --------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please keep all correspondence within the News...

finding training classes on CRM
Does anybody know of any class training for installing and deploying Microsoft CRM? I've searched around and I can only find one place in Canada that does it. Anybody know of any other classes? Has anybody taking the eclasses offered by Microsoft? I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks! you know....honestly,......with this product in particular, I would suggest that you are better off taking a good computer with decent CPU/Memory and create a test environment for CRM. Theres simply no way any class can cover every possible issue that comes up with installing and customizing CRM with...

Find distinct records of the last order from a customer
Hi I am trying to find a list of customers that have not bought anything for the last xx months. I have a salesorder table which holds an orderdate and customer account code, other customer details are held in the customers table. i have a table called soitemsdespatch thats holds the parts that have been sold to that customer. salesorder and soitemsdespatch are linked by sonumber. I was hoping that would show me the last orderdate for all customers and list them in order but it repeats customer orders but not all of them. What i would really like is one query that would show m...

How to find the most recent product (using group,last and first)
I am working with a production system, but now I have a need to filter out only the newest version of a product (to export it to the sale/ logistic-system). I have tried using Grouping, Last or First in a query, but find that sorting has no effect. The only thing that seems to me to control what is first and last is the time of the recording of the record. I have tried sorting a query and using this as source for grouping - with no effect. Sincerely Hans Kristian Eide Do you have a date field that identifies which record is the last version of the product? Or do you propose to identifiy ...

Could not find file "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\help\help_toc.xml".
Anyone had this error before ? And what is the solution.... I do not have this file. Microsoft CRM Unhandled Error Details: Could not find file "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\help\help_toc.xml". Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code. Exception Details: System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not find file "c:\inetpub\wwwroot\help\help_toc.xml". Source Error: An unhandled exception was generated during the execution of the...

replacing zeros by blank cells
Hi, Charts read cells with 0 as value, but a blank cell as a missing value so that it is not presented on the chart. What is the trick to replace the zeros in a large table by blank cells? Thanks for your help, -- milet Blank cells are ignored by chart engine ONLY if you have specified this in Options To make zeros into blanks would seem to need another column =if(B1=0,"",b1) then plot this new column best wsihes -- Bernard Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP people.stfx.ca/bliengme email address: remove uppercase characters REMEMBER: Microsoft is closing the newsgr...

Pictures with Data from Exel-Cells
Hi! Is there any way to have a picture in Excel that has labels - text or numbers - from Excel cells? Excel has the option to insert "Diagrams". In this diagrams, you create objects such as boxes, circles, lines, etc. And you can add Text-Boxes. I'd like to write "A1" in such a text box, and would like to the the content of cell A1 in that Text cell. Is this (or something like this) possible? Any pointers? >From Excel help: Link an AutoShape or text box to a worksheet cell 1 Click the AutoShape or text box you want to link. 2 In the formula bar, type an equal ...

Counting the number of coloured cells
Hi all, I would love to be able to count the number of cells in a row that are coloured yellow or the number of cells that are coloured green. Is this possible? Mat "Mat][" <masterman@telpacific.com.au> wrote... >I would love to be able to count the number of cells in a row that are >coloured yellow or the number of cells that are coloured green. > >Is this possible? If these colors are the result of conditional formatting, then use the same conditions in a conditional sum. For example, if yellow corresponds to cells >= 100 but < 1000 while green corresp...

Find and Highlight
I have two sheets called Sheet1 and Sheet2 in WKBK Each sheet has only one column (column A) with content. I want to be able to compare both sheets to see if the content in their respective Column A match. If there is a number in Sheet2 that doesn't match the number in Sheet1, then I want to highlight with yellow those cells in Sheet2. For example here is the content of both workbooks: Sheet1 Sheet2 23 66 15 23 66 19 ...

cycling $ in cell refs
In previous versions of excel one could cycle through the various premutations of A1, $A$1, $A1, A$1, by hitting the F4 key. That functionality appears to have disappeared in excel 2007. Has it moved elsewhere or is there some simple way to get it back? That still works for me. You don't happen to have a new keyboard too, for which you have to enable the function keys with an F Lock key? -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "rossu" <rossu@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:97BBEC81-BD2F-4CB2-B237-E8357CFAD079@microsoft.com... | In previ...

Hiding Cells #2
I was creating a flowchart one night and I highlighted just the flowchart, somehow I was able to hide the cells just inside the highlighted box and I can't for the life of me remeber how I did it. I know how to hide the cells for the whole sheet but what about just inside a highlighted box? Thanks. E -- egiro25 ------------------------------------------------------------------------ egiro25's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28247 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=478042 You want to hide something behind ...

adding comment to cell
Hi, New to here, just a quick question. I know how to add a comment to a cell so that when the cursor moves over it, it appears. How do I produce a comment that appears only when the cell is clicked? Apreciate your help. Thanks in advance -- mancitmis ------------------------------------------------------------------------ mancitmis's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28495 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480995 It was in the cell validation menu. Thanks for looking -- mancitmi --------------------------...

Cell matching issue!
Hi guys, Ok here is my issue: I have a workbook containing 2 sheets. One sheet contains a list of ETFs with livefeed data from Bloomberg about two different volume measures.I then use this data to do a simple calculation for the performance of each ETF. The issue is the fact that in the other sheet I want a table with the top 5 performers and the worst 5 performers. What I did in order to receive the names of the ETFs, provider, performance etc, I used the VLOOKUP function. The performance is the column on the far left. =VLOOKUP(LARGE(data!$C$4:$C$41,1),data!$C$4:$L$41,7,TRUE) data is the...

Several values in one cell. is it possible?
Hi all, I want to be able to have a drop down list where I can select on _or_more_ items to assign them to a single cell. Is this possible? Thanks -- EliB ----------------------------------------------------------------------- EliBY's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1649 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27879 Hi yes, Debra Dalgleish has examples on her website .. i'm not sure exactly what page their on, but if you go to the index page and look through the Data Validation topics you'll find it www.co...

formula for cell
I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula where I can take for instance a cell with 500 characters and take only the first 30 and paste it in to a new cell. I have used a formula thanks to Gary =left(a1,len(a1)/2 which has worked for other uses I have--now I need to extract only the first 30 characters of a description and I have thousands of cells in my description column..Please Help =left(a1,30) Pete.Cornejo@gmail.com wrote: > > I have many cells with descriptive text, does anyone know of a formula > where I can take for instance a cell with 500...

can not find the outbox
Outlook today starts with Calender. Can not get it started in inbox. The outbox disappeared all together. I can sent mail. kees Zegwaard <kees Zegwaard@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Outlook today starts with Calender. Can not get it started in inbox. Exactly how depends on your Outlook version. For OL 2003, click Tools>Options>Other>Advanced Options. To the right of the "Startup in this folder" field is a Browse button. Click it and select the folder you want. > The outbox disappeared all together. I can sent mail. If you can send mail, you have ...

Formula to change content in a cell
Hi I have a column of vendor numbers such as m6501p01 in one cell, the next record is m6501p02 and so on. The person that entered the numbers should have entered an S instead of a 5. I have over 100 records to change. Is there a forumla that will change all the 5's in that position to an S Thanks! Hi, Try =SUBSTITUTE(A1,MID(A1,3,1),5) in another range, Copy > Paste Special > Values back to the original range, Regards, Alan. "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6CB5FF11-CDF9-40AD-ABA4-313E98539E6D@microsoft.com... > Hi, > I h...

sumif by color of cell
Hi, can someone advise how to sum in excel by the color of the cell? e.g. sumif the cell is highlighted in green Thanks, HK Chip Pearson has a custom function: http://www.cpearson.com/excel/colors.htm -- Steve "HK" <HK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C9C9E437-8AB6-449E-B032-75A5A775B320@microsoft.com... > Hi, > can someone advise how to sum in excel by the color of the cell? > e.g. sumif the cell is highlighted in green > Thanks, > HK Try this with modifications to do green. Where it sums the values of Orange, Red and Green cells, (...

Filters: multi-criteria cells ?
A filtering question: Is it possible to have some rows selected by a filter on more then one criteria? For example, in the column "A" I have the text strings "string1", "string2", "string3", "string4", multiple times. If I set a AutoFilter, I will be able to select all rows which contain in its first cell one of those texts strings, from a drop-down list. Now, I would like to have a specific row to be selected on, for example, _either_ "string2" _or_ "string4", and I would like to have this by simply choosing "strin...