Filtering by Check Boxes

I have created a multisheet workbook for my staff.

One of the pages summarises results from the other worksheets.

On this summary page, I have used check boxes in one of the columns to allow 
users to select relevant records and then filter for those records to show 
only those where the check boxes are True.

Am experiencing problems with:

1. After filtering, some of the check boxes that were previously checked are 
no longer checked.

2. Removing the filter and reapplying the filter returns different records.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
-- 
Many Thanks
EGGcel
0
egg (4)
1/17/2006 6:00:02 AM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

2 Replies
446 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 1

Did you use checkboxes from the Forms toolbar or from the Control toolbox
toolbar?

If you used the Forms toolbar version, then maybe you're looking at the wrong
checkbox.  Hiding the rows doesn't hide the checkbox.

If you used the control toolbox toolbar, make sure that you chose "Move and size
with cells" (after rightclicking on it and choosing format control|properties
tab).

=======

You may want to take a different approach.

If you delete all the checkboxes, maybe you could just format the cell nicely.

Select the range
Format|cells|number tab|custom category
In the "type:" box, put this:
alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252

But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
keypad.

It should look something like this when you're done.
�;�;�;�
(umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)

And format that range of cells as Wingdings.

Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
mark.

Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.

If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:

=if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")

And since this is just data, it'll sort (well, if you include that column in the
range).

And you can always filter for that funny character.


Eggtavius wrote:
> 
> I have created a multisheet workbook for my staff.
> 
> One of the pages summarises results from the other worksheets.
> 
> On this summary page, I have used check boxes in one of the columns to allow
> users to select relevant records and then filter for those records to show
> only those where the check boxes are True.
> 
> Am experiencing problems with:
> 
> 1. After filtering, some of the check boxes that were previously checked are
> no longer checked.
> 
> 2. Removing the filter and reapplying the filter returns different records.
> 
> Any ideas would be appreciated.
> --
> Many Thanks
> EGGcel

-- 

Dave Peterson
0
petersod (12005)
1/17/2006 3:31:51 PM
I had originally experimented with both Control and Form Check Boxes and had 
tried various properties and format settings without success.

I have decided to use the alternative solution that you have suggested 
instead of the check boxes - less risk of things going wrong. Much 
appreciated!!
-- 
Many Thanks
EGGcel


"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> Did you use checkboxes from the Forms toolbar or from the Control toolbox
> toolbar?
> 
> If you used the Forms toolbar version, then maybe you're looking at the wrong
> checkbox.  Hiding the rows doesn't hide the checkbox.
> 
> If you used the control toolbox toolbar, make sure that you chose "Move and size
> with cells" (after rightclicking on it and choosing format control|properties
> tab).
> 
> =======
> 
> You may want to take a different approach.
> 
> If you delete all the checkboxes, maybe you could just format the cell nicely.
> 
> Select the range
> Format|cells|number tab|custom category
> In the "type:" box, put this:
> alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252;alt-0252
> 
> But hit and hold the alt key while you're typing the 0252 from the numeric
> keypad.
> 
> It should look something like this when you're done.
> ü;ü;ü;ü
> (umlaut over the lower case u separated by semicolons)
> 
> And format that range of cells as Wingdings.
> 
> Now, no matter what you type (spacebar, x, anyoldtextatall), you'll see a check
> mark.
> 
> Hit the delete key on the keyboard to clear the cell.
> 
> If you have to use that "checkmark" in later formulas:
> 
> =if(a1="","no checkmark","Yes checkmark")
> 
> And since this is just data, it'll sort (well, if you include that column in the
> range).
> 
> And you can always filter for that funny character.
> 
> 
> Eggtavius wrote:
> > 
> > I have created a multisheet workbook for my staff.
> > 
> > One of the pages summarises results from the other worksheets.
> > 
> > On this summary page, I have used check boxes in one of the columns to allow
> > users to select relevant records and then filter for those records to show
> > only those where the check boxes are True.
> > 
> > Am experiencing problems with:
> > 
> > 1. After filtering, some of the check boxes that were previously checked are
> > no longer checked.
> > 
> > 2. Removing the filter and reapplying the filter returns different records.
> > 
> > Any ideas would be appreciated.
> > --
> > Many Thanks
> > EGGcel
> 
> -- 
> 
> Dave Peterson
> 
0
egg (4)
1/18/2006 4:41:03 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

upgrading the OS on Exch2003 box
I have successfully upgraded Exch2000 to 2003. The OS is still Windows 2000 Server. Now I'm ready to upgrade that box to Windows Server 2003. Is there anything special I should note before upgrading, or is there a specific document which addresses any known method or problems ? thanks chrism "chrism" <chris@no_spam> wrote: >I have successfully upgraded Exch2000 to 2003. >The OS is still Windows 2000 Server. > >Now I'm ready to upgrade that box to Windows Server 2003. > >Is there anything special I should note before upgrading, or is there >a...

How OMPM Scanner (offscan) Filter by Access/Modified Date ?
Hello, I have problem to inventory excel files on very big file server, but I believe there are so many documents we no longer need to maintain. I want to skip files if the access date or modified date longer than 6 month, but don't see the OMPM providing feature about it. I currently running OMPM since 2 weeks ago and running out of time for reporting to my manager. Please help me, this is my critical assignment. -- Eldi Munggaran ...

outlook 2003sp3: applying the inbuilt junkmail filter on existing messages?
hi all, would like to apply the outlook junk mail filter, with settings set to 'high', on emails already in my inbox. is there any way of doing this? apologies if this has been posted before, I've made a couple of searches but can't find anything... many thanks! No, there's no way to apply the spam filter to already downloaded items. <spam@redo.net> wrote in message news:1137601837.257355.134230@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > hi all, > > would like to apply the outlook junk mail filter, with settings set to > 'high', on emails already in my...

Safe Pay Check Amount Problem
I am trying to setup Safe Pay. Everything seems to be working fine except for one annoying quirk. Our bank's Positive Pay data format gives us 12 characters for check amounts ($$$$$$$$$$¢¢). The file that Safe Pay generates is working perfectly except for those checks that are greater than $9,999,999.99 (9 characters). If the check amount is greater than that (say $10,000,000.00), the value that the Safe Pay file shows for that check is 002147483647. And, even if none of the individual checks exceed $9,999,999.99, if the total of the checks in the batch exceeds that a...

Vendor transactions and checks
I'm trying to create a vendor payment report from my program. From which tables I can get the vendor payable transaction information??? I also need to know whether there is a check aleady issue to a transaction. Thank you. ...

How to write a new entry in a combo box to its underlying table
Dear Access 2007 VBA Gurus, I have a assets database (rather uncreatively named "Assets"). I use a form (named "Asset Acquisition Input Form New") to enter new assets. The "Manufacturer" field (combo box name "Manufacturers_ID) on this form is a lookup to a Manufacturers table. What I want to happen is when I enter an item that is not in the lookup list, I want a message box to prompt me to add the new entry to the underlying table, or to cancel and select an item from the list. I have no trouble with the MsgBox command itself. What I don&...

Intelligent Message Filter Installation Failure
I've tried installing the Intelligent Message Filter on a Windows 2000 SP4 Exchange 2003 SP1 server. The installation fails at around 98% with the following error: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. a program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. contact your support personnel or package vendor. I tried downloading it again, and had the same results. Any ideas? Thanks ...

Keeping a table in a form editable and checking that fields are filled in before allowing a save
Firstly apologies if this is the incorrect forum but I was looking for a general word forum and could not find one. Please point me to one if one exists. I am trying to create a form where I want to specify what items need to be filled in. (Review minutes from design reviews). I want to make certain fields mandatory like the date, attendees and check list used and want to block saving of the document with a warning until they are filled in. Is there a way of doing this? Also as a part of the review actions are filled in to a table. depending on how many actions there are the table...

Excel 2003 Copy/Paste filtered column
I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filtered column. It is not copying over the original filtered column but rather over cells that have been filtered out. The worksheet/cells are not protected. What could the problem be? Kind Regards Heather That's the way pasting works. It'll hit the visible and hidden cells. Heather wrote: > > I have a filtered column on my spreadsheet. I have copied the column, > changed the figures and then tried to paste it back on to the filter...

Intelligent Message Filter (IMF) SCL for Junk E-mail being ignored
I have Exchange Server 2003 Enterprise SP1, and I recently downloaded and installed Intelligent Message Filter. In Message Delivery Properties -> Intelligent Message Filtering, I have - Gateway Blocking Configuration SCL 8 - Store Junk E-mail Configuration SCL 8 All users have Outlook 2003 Professional installed. Although I have SCL set to 8 for "Store Junk E-mail Configuration", Messages with SCL 6 and others with SCL as low as 3 are being sent to the Junk E-Mail folder. I am able to see the SCL of the emails because I installed an SCL Column via Forms using th...

E-mail box sizes. Echange System Manger.
Hi. Now and then I need to find out the size of the various e-mail boxes in Exchange2000. The problem is that the size indicated in the Exchange System Manager do not reflect the same size when you look into Outlook. Is the a way to figure out the correct e-mail size? If not. Is this better in Exchange2003? Thank you in advance. DagN I'd consider the Exchange value to be the most important given this is what will be used for mailbox quotas, etc. Nue "Dag N" <skier@start.no> wrote in message news:OjCaWfjLGHA.2320@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > Hi. > Now and then ...

Can I have spell check ignore errors and alert me to real words?
Instead of stopping on misspellings and skipping real words, is there a way to stop on correct spellings to find actual words in a bunch of gibberish? Sort of an "UNspell check". For example, pass over "JJKSXO" but show me "SPELL". No, there is no way of doing that regards, Peo Sjoblom "JenLynFish" wrote: > Instead of stopping on misspellings and skipping real words, is there a way > to stop on correct spellings to find actual words in a bunch of gibberish? > Sort of an "UNspell check". For example, pass over "JJKSX...

Junk E-Mail filter unavailable in online mode
We had Outlook 2003 clients on an Exch 2000 server, and, as expected, the Junk E-Mail filter was not available when working in online mode. In cached mode it was working fine. Now, after upgrading the organization and server to Exch 2003, the Junk E-Mail filter is still not available in online mode. According to all the MS documentation this should be working. Any ideas? Thanks kindly, FV All of the documentation that I have know of says that it works on in Cache Mode. Can you give us a link to the documentation that you saw that shows it will work with online profiles? Thanks, -- Matth...

How to return the primary key from a combo box
I have a table containing two columns Column 1: Primary key Column 2: Name. I want to create an unbound combo box that shows the name but returns the PK. I have these properties set: Control source: <is empty> Row source type: table/query Bound column: 1 Row source: <I have a select that returns the desired records> In cboClient_AfterUpdate() I look at debug.print cboClient.Value and I see the name. I need the PK so I can construct the query for the next combo box. How do I get the PK Thanks for the help -- Message posted via http://www.accessmons...

Simple Yes/No drop down box
Hi, I am looking to create a simple drop down box which has yes or no as the options. For the life of me i can't remember how to do it. Thanks Select the cell and then click on Data | Data Validation. In the dialogue box for Allow click on List, and then in Source you can type "Yes,No" (without the quotes) and ensure that In-cell drop-down is checked. Click OK and then you have it. Hope this helps. Pete On Apr 21, 9:41=A0am, Debi <D...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Hi, I am looking to create a simple drop down box which has yes or no as = the ...

creating nested formulas from drop down box
Hi, I have cell A1 with a drop down box containing 26 available choices. B1 has the dollar amount matching to the choice in A1 using vlookup. E1 totals several cells including B1 together. I want F1 to look at A1 and either enter the number from E1 or NA. Here's billing example: A1=January , B1=$5 ,C1=$10, D1=$1, E1=$16 (total of b-d1) F1 is the column for January G1 is the column for February H1 is the column for March, etc If A1 = Jan, then F1 should be $16 If A1 = Feb, then F1 should be NA or $0 This is the formula that has been working so far: =IF((G2="...

anchor picture to text box
(Publisher 2003) I have a newsletter with a Kudos box. In the corners of the box I have a happy face. I'd like the happy faces to be anchored to their corners so when I enlarge or shorten the box, the faces move along with the text box. Why not create a rectangle, insert the happy faces, group. The problem as I see it would be if you resize, the happy faces could be distorted if you widen or shrink the group. You would always have to re-size proportionally. -- Mary Sauer http://msauer.mvps.org/ "Helen" <Helen@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:193...

Removing filters from data
Hi. I have recorded a macro to remove filters from data lasts in advance of performing other actions. However if the data is unfiltered the macro falls over with the message Run time error '1004' ShowAllData method of Worksheet class failed. I think I need some sort of if error continue code or something to check filtering first. I would be grateful if someone could point me in the right direction please. Hi Philip Try If Activesheet.Filtermode Then ActiveSheet.ShowAllData -- Jacob "Philip J Smith" wrote: > Hi. > > I have re...

Command Button to Sort and Filter by Selection
Is it possible to create a command button on a form that will allow you to sort records or to use the Filter by Selction option? They are not choices I can select while using the wizard or the macro builder. However, both of these would be extremely useful as I'm building a database for someone who has never used a database before and isn't all that comfortable with computers in general. I am using Access 2003 and I am NOT familiar with Access Visual Basic, Java or building macros from scratch. I'm sure there is a way to use these tools to create what I want, ...

"Enabel / Disable macros" message box appears no matter which .xls file the user opens....
"Enabel / Disable macros" message box appears no matter which .xls file I open... I can't find any hidden/empty code in the xls files... Has someone got any experience with this? krgds, Nils Egil Lie Stolt Offshore AS Hi you also have to remove the (empty) modules in the VBA editor. Also check that there're no statements left in the worksheet modules and in the workbook module -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Nils Egil Lie wrote: > "Enabel / Disable macros" message box appears no matter which .xls > file I open... I can't find any hidden/emp...

text box email publication
I am a publisher novice. I am trying to develop an e-mail newletter. The templates in publisher have a text box under each article with what appears to be a hyperlink with "more details". I assume this will enable the reader of the email to expand the text box and see the full details of the article. I like this feature as it means that readers only get to see the title and abstract and then can select the articles they want to read in full. Unfortunately I can not work out how to use this function and as usual help is no help. Tim no such feature in Publisher. "kiwi ti...

File Open Box
When I go file open and the box appears to select where & what I want to open, it appears full screen, how can I reduce the size of it (it never used to be full screen). I try placing the mouse on the edges but it won't give me a drag arrow from anywhere around the perimeter of the screen Drove me near insane once. Dbl-click in the dialog title bar. "bev" <bev@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:66C4FC65-041A-4EF3-A1F0-4B1FEA6F472F@microsoft.com... > When I go file open and the box appears to select where & what I want to > open...

Check if data has already been formatted.
Hello, I have a sub() as part of a larger set of macros. This particular sub() will take the raw data pulled from an in-house reporting system and format it to suit our needs (adding a couple of columns with formulas to facilitate pivot table creation). This is the code as I have it so far: Sub FormatData() Application.ScreenUpdating = False ActiveWindow.DisplayGridlines = False ' Declarations Dim DataWks As Worksheet Dim LastRow As Long Dim LastCol As Long ' Set the DataWks variable Set DataWks = Worksheets("Data") ...

Combo box from a macro
Hello, First let me give you the scenerio. I have a main form of data. On it I have a subForm. I want to select a record from the subform (which is sub-data) and display that record in the main form. This is a customer and related customer DB. When Customer X comes in I want to be able to see customer x's family. I want to be able to choose a mamber of custome x's family and display them on the main form, thus displaying customer y and their family. I have created the main form to have a combo/lookup based on the SS#. I have created a button on the subform to read the SS# on ...

input box prompt
Hi, Once again I need help. I have an Input Box that I would like to set a portion of the prompt font to bold. I've searched the forums and could not find an answer. This is the code for the Input Box that I'm using InputBox("Enter Allocation For : " & .lstProddescp.List(i) & vbCrLf & "Current Qty is : " & MyQty) You will note "MyQty" this is what I want to make bold. It is a numeric value. In my limited knowledge I tried to format "MyQty" to bold, but only to fail. Any help would be appreciated. You cannot...