filter rows rather than columns in Excel 2003?

can this be done?  I have 12 entries in a row...need the top 10 averaged,
lowest 2 discarded.
0
Lynne (43)

Lynne,

I haven't found a filter row solution yet, but this may help to start with
anyways. Select your data and choose to copy it, but instead of just pasting
it, do a paste special and choose the checkbox at the bottom to "transpose".
That will take your row format and change it to a column format that you can
then use autofilter on. When you're done, you can do the same thing in
reverse. Copy the data and Paste Special and transpose again. Hope this helps
as at least a temporary fix.

"Lynne" wrote:

> can this be done?  I have 12 entries in a row...need the top 10 averaged,
> lowest 2 discarded.
You can get the average of the top 10 entries with the following
formula

=AVERAGE(LARGE(A1:A12,ROW(INDIRECT("1:10"))))

Since this is an array formula, you must press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
rather than just Enter when you first enter the formula and
whenever you edit it later. If you do this properly, Excel will
display the formula enclosed in curly braces {}.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Lynne" <Lynne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> can this be done?  I have 12 entries in a row...need the top 10
> averaged,
> lowest 2 discarded.

0
chip1 (1821)
12/1/2005 6:12:59 PM
Chip,

Brillliant!  You've saved me hours of work with my mark sheets.  Thanks so
much!

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

> You can get the average of the top 10 entries with the following
> formula
>
> =AVERAGE(LARGE(A1:A12,ROW(INDIRECT("1:10"))))
>
> Since this is an array formula, you must press Ctrl+Shift+Enter
> rather than just Enter when you first enter the formula and
> whenever you edit it later. If you do this properly, Excel will
> display the formula enclosed in curly braces {}.
>

> --
> Cordially,
> Chip Pearson
> Microsoft MVP - Excel
> Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
> www.cpearson.com
>

> "Lynne" <Lynne@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > can this be done?  I have 12 entries in a row...need the top 10
> > averaged,
> > lowest 2 discarded.

0
Lynne (43)
12/2/2005 6:45:03 PM
Mike,

Read Chip's response.  I have tried what you suggested but it's alot of
extra work with the spreadsheets.  Chip's formula works perfectly as long as
there are numbers i.e. 0 or greater, in every cell.  Blanks won't work!

"Mike Armstrong" wrote:

> Lynne,
>
> I haven't found a filter row solution yet, but this may help to start with
> anyways. Select your data and choose to copy it, but instead of just pasting
> it, do a paste special and choose the checkbox at the bottom to "transpose".
> That will take your row format and change it to a column format that you can
> then use autofilter on. When you're done, you can do the same thing in
> reverse. Copy the data and Paste Special and transpose again. Hope this helps
> as at least a temporary fix.
>
> "Lynne" wrote:
>
> > can this be done?  I have 12 entries in a row...need the top 10 averaged,
> > lowest 2 discarded.
0
Lynne (43)

From Outlook 2000 to Outllook 2003

Excel button problem

Excel 97 #9

More Columns #2

New to excel

Looking for Excel Help

Auto transfer of row
I have a list of components to be ordered in each row is a cell with order number entered in it. What I want is to copy the row to anothe sheet (which is to be displayed at goods) when the order number i entered in that cell. Is this possible? many thanks for any help -- alanle ----------------------------------------------------------------------- alanled's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3094 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=57297 this could be acheived by using VLOOKUP function. if you want a perfect soluti...

hide a row
I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is something in Column B, I would like to hide the row. Is this possable in an if statement? Hi not possible with a formula. This would require VBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Bob" <bobolah@hotmail.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:OSOK8hisEHA.2556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > I have a worksheet with information in column A and B. > > If Column B has no information I want to do nothing, but if there is > something in Column B, ...

will CRM load on a 2003 server?

Filters not working in Exchange 2003

Outlook 2003 Drag and Drop Emails

Columns #4
My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Hi Me! I'm just guessing what you mean. Use: Tools > Options > General Remove check from "R1C1 reference style" OK -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au Excel and Word Function Lists (Classifications, Syntax and Arguments) available free to good homes. "me" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:12D9050B-079C-476D-B5B6-84445F60EA51@microsoft.com... > My columns in Excel have disappeared how do I get them back? Another gue...

learning Excel #3

Excel VBA

q Emailing Excel Sheet With Outlook