Fill/Expand Selection adding placeholders to Decimals

Hi,
I set up a worksheet for a Lookup Function that contains numbers increasing
by 0.1 from 100.0 to 50.0. I used the drag and fill to set up the numbers.
I noticed some incorrect entries in the results from the look up and found
that on certain numbers it added many decimal spots to the number for example
66.5 look like 66.5000000000001 when I click into the cell.  I can not locate
a pattern for why this is occurring (i.e. does not occur in the 4-8 or 10-15
but does in the 9 and 16 series).  Formatting is set to numerical with 1
decimal point.

Any help?

I've just responded to your earlier post - please do not multi-post.

Take a look at the ROUND function in XL Help.

Pete

On Apr 26, 5:01=A0pm, awalker <awal...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I set up a worksheet for a Lookup Function that contains numbers increasi=
ng
> by 0.1 from 100.0 to 50.0. I used the drag and fill to set up the numbers=
.. =A0 =A0
> I noticed some incorrect entries in the results from the look up and foun=
> that on certain numbers it added many decimal spots to the number for exa=
mple
> 66.5 look like 66.5000000000001 when I click into the cell. =A0I can not =
locate
> a pattern for why this is occurring (i.e. does not occur in the 4-8 or 10=
-15
> but does in the 9 and 16 series). =A0Formatting is set to numerical with =
1
> decimal point. =A0
>
> Any help?

0
Pete_UK
4/26/2010 4:10:32 PM
I waited 20 minutes and my post didn't show up.  I logged out and back in 3
times to see if that would prompt it.  I'm on a deadline so I reposted, I
think I took the necessary steps before doing so.

"Pete_UK" wrote:

> I've just responded to your earlier post - please do not multi-post.
>
> Take a look at the ROUND function in XL Help.
>
> Pete
>
> On Apr 26, 5:01 pm, awalker <awal...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I set up a worksheet for a Lookup Function that contains numbers increasing
> > by 0.1 from 100.0 to 50.0. I used the drag and fill to set up the numbers..
> > I noticed some incorrect entries in the results from the look up and found
> > that on certain numbers it added many decimal spots to the number for example
> > 66.5 look like 66.5000000000001 when I click into the cell.  I can not locate
> > a pattern for why this is occurring (i.e. does not occur in the 4-8 or 10-15
> > but does in the 9 and 16 series).  Formatting is set to numerical with 1
> > decimal point.
> >
> > Any help?
>
> .

I have spent the last 10 minutes searching and still cannot locate my other
post with your response.

"awalker" wrote:

> I waited 20 minutes and my post didn't show up.  I logged out and back in 3
> times to see if that would prompt it.  I'm on a deadline so I reposted, I
> think I took the necessary steps before doing so.
>
> "Pete_UK" wrote:
>
> > I've just responded to your earlier post - please do not multi-post.
> >
> > Take a look at the ROUND function in XL Help.
> >
> > Pete
> >
> > On Apr 26, 5:01 pm, awalker <awal...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I set up a worksheet for a Lookup Function that contains numbers increasing
> > > by 0.1 from 100.0 to 50.0. I used the drag and fill to set up the numbers..
> > > I noticed some incorrect entries in the results from the look up and found
> > > that on certain numbers it added many decimal spots to the number for example
> > > 66.5 look like 66.5000000000001 when I click into the cell.  I can not locate
> > > a pattern for why this is occurring (i.e. does not occur in the 4-8 or 10-15
> > > but does in the 9 and 16 series).  Formatting is set to numerical with 1
> > > decimal point.
> > >
> > > Any help?
> >
> > .

Adding a calculated ROW to a pivot table
Does anybody know how to add a calculated ROW to a pivot table? I have a pivot table that is returning totals at the bottom, as it should, but I *also* need it to return that total as a percentage of grand total, directly beneath the total. I've always done this free-form in the cells below a pivot table before, but the size of this pivot is dynamic so that's not an option. Also--I'm using the pivot in Access, not Excel directly. Anybody have any tips? Thanks! ...

Using a formula to fill a field
I am ery new to Access and was wondering, is there anyway to make a field fill automaticaly with a formula? Like in excel for example if you have a fromula on a cell and the arguments change the cell changes. I have a table with a field of invoice amounts and then a table with account info, i want to know if there is a way for the account table (ie: Balance field) to update automaticaly when you add an invoice with that accountID. Access is a relational database. An Access table may look like a spreadsheet, but it is really just a "bucket o' data". No, you can't ad...

VBA to select formula cells OK -but want certain cells with ColorI
Using XL 2003 & 97 The following subroutine works. That said, how can I fine formula cells with a "!" in the cell. (In short, probably a cell formula referring to another sheet) With the following code I would like all formula cells set to colorindex 6 (yellow) but all formula cells with "!" set to a color index of 3 (red) I tried to use an If statement but to no avail. Sub SelectFormulaColor() Selection.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeFormulas, 23).Select With Selection.Interior .ColorIndex = 6 .Pattern = xlSolid End With ActiveWindow.Dis...

Can I set up a calendar lookup for date selection
Is it possible to lookup a calendar for date selection on a cell. I cannot find any reference to it in the help. try this url http://www.fontstuff.com/vba/vbatut07.htm ================= "Tangoxray" <Tangoxray@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:72D4DB63-1D7F-477A-93C7-2F767A207B26@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to lookup a calendar for date selection on a cell. I cannot > find any reference to it in the help. ...

>> Calendar Control drag to select range
Hi, using MS Access 2003, is it possible to allow a user to drag to select a range of dates and, if 'yes', how do you store the selected date range? Many thanks, Jonathan Not that I know of. Storing a range of dates is quite simple though. You store the start date and the end date and use a calculation to show all the dates between. -- Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP http://www.datastrat.com http://www.mvps.org/access http://www.accessmvp.com "Jonathan" <Jonathan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F22299F-3765-40D2-AA03-67FB42FFC07A@microsoft.com... > ...

Adding functionality to MS Outlook Express
Hi, I am looking for help to integrate anti-spam open source programs with MS Outlook Express :- - SpamPal - http://www.spampal.org/ - Spamato - http://www.spamato.net/ The problem is to provide a library that will facilitate this. I have read the MSDN Messaging and Collaboration documentation which gives the ability to get notifications of new messages and to access message folders :- http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/ms709546.aspx The next need is to add a toolbar (with buttons for SPAM/NOSPAM) and to detect what messages are selected in the message window. The MSOE...

what tab for calculating percent and decimal?
I want to find the percent for each column. Which tab do I click to get the drop down choice for percent. I found it once and forgot to remember it. I also remember seeing the dropdown had decimal as well. I am just starting to explore using this for my grading system at school. Today is my first day exploring this site. try format>cells or right click>format>>>> -- Don Guillett Microsoft MVP Excel SalesAid Software dguillett@gmail.com "Heidi" <Heidi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4BBF5660-5CD7-4756-9972-D980105...

Auto Filling Fields in Current Record from Previous Record
Hello, I have looked through posts related to Auto-Filling a field from a previous record but am still a little unsure of how to do things. What I would like to do is auto fill a field in the current record with one from a different field in a previous record. What I have is a form that records "engine hours" and "tonnes moved" for a piece of equipment. The operator will record the staring hours and tonnes (at the start of a day) and the hours and tonnes at the end of the day. So in the database, I would like the "Starting Hours" and "Starting Tonnes"...

move selection after enter into cell
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Upon entering data into a cell, I do not want to move to another cell when I hit Return. In the older version of Excel I used to be able to go into Tools/Options/Edit and uncheck Move Selection after Enter. How can I accomplish this in the 2008 version? thanks Aha - you've revealed yourself as a Windows user :-) Mac OS has never had Options, it uses Preferences instead. Go to Excel> Preferences> Edit where you can specify Up, Down, Left, Right from the list or clear the check to not have the se...

Adding company name to the "From" field
Hopefully this is an easy problem. We are running Exchange 2003 on Windows Server 2003 in a mixed domain. (Win2k and Win2003 servers) Lets say I am working for a company named "XYZ". The owner of the company wants the "from" line in the email client to say "Bill Smith, XYZ Company". Unfortunately I can not find a way to do this. Any help is appreciated. Bob Hi Bob, Just use ADModify to rewrite the Display name for every user in your company, or for users of that company (if companys are sharing and AD) ADModify can be found here: http://www.gotdotnet.co...

Keeping Foldres Expanded
Everytime I close outlook and re-open it again, the expanded public folders have all collapsed. Is there a setting to keep these public folders constantly expanded???? HELP! ...

Option to select printer B4 printing Payables Checks
Client recently upgraded from 7.5 to 9.0 and they lost the option to select a printer after clicking print. From print payables checks In 7.5 when they would click on print, a window would pop up and give them the option to select a printer to send their checks to. Now it automatically goes to their defaulted printer. How do they set up the option in 9.0? Go to the Named Printers settings, and look at the checkbox to suppress the printer dialog box. This should solve your problem Best regards Mike "TROOTBMI" <TROOTBMI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:...

formatting selected characters or numbers in each cell within a range of cells
I am sending this to several Excel newsgroups, because I am not sure which one if the most appropriate. I apologize in advance for the multiple postings. I have MS Excel 2000 (version 9.0.3821 SR-1). How can I format only a selected character or number within each cell in a specific range of cells? For instance if I have a cell containing �1234234�, how can I format it so that only the 2�s are bold or are colored? Obviously, I have a range of cells, and I want to format all the 2�s occurring in any of the cells as either bold or colored. Conditional formatting does not seem to all...

Select Records that fall in an external set of ranges (subquery)
HiI have not done subqueries before so I am a bit confused. I have twotables1 - Phone Numbers - (converted to be numeric) (with other fields forlater) and2 - Exchange codes - multiple entries for code with 3 fields -Exchange name (duplication) - Start Range and End Range.I want to return a list of phone numbers that fall into the range fora certain exchange.For example - MRSPOO has 4 entries in the Exchange Table with 4distinct ranges. 200-299, 307-788, 997-1102 and 2036-6698. I would like to be able to return all the phone numbers for a singleexchange code that I would select (using a query...

ActiveX control being added to outgoing e-mail?
I have a user running Outlook 2003 via Exchange 2000. All outgoing messages sent by his system apparently have an ActiveX control in them. Any messages I try to open on another machine give the alert "Your current Security settings prohibit running ActiveX controls..." Could this mean the user has a virus? Something else? Any help is appreciated, and a direct reply to me is appreciated as well. Thanks, John M John discovered this was due to bad signature or stationary files in Outlook. I had the same problem with a user and tested this theory. There was indeed some c...

Highlight a selected record
I am trying to highlight a selected record of a continuous form. Conditional Formatting is not working because it highlights individual fields. If Conditional Formatting would highlight the entire row, it would be perfect. I created a txtBackground text box to size of all my fields, sent it the back—behind the fields. Use the txtBackground as the control, but when it has focus it covers the data. Below is the code I used: Sub HighlightControl(ctl As Control) On Error Resume Next ctl.BackColor = 65535 End Sub Sub UnhighlightControl(ctl As...

Problem with AD-users
Hi, Ive done big mis-deleting. Ive tried to do one new DL-object for exchange. Its usually placed under users-coNtainer. The Distribution List I made, was false, so I had to be delete it. But, somehow Ive deleted a lot of objects from users-container! There did not existed many users they are in separate containers, but some were like administrator! I thin, it isnt possible to delete admin-account. The account still exist, but I think its properties arent now OK. I cannot add administrator account for administrator or any mailbox. Exchange system tool wont regocnize ay useraccounts. B...

Filling odd shapes
I'm trying to create a closed shape (Visio 2002) consisting of an exponential curve (stencil from the drawing tools set) and then 3 lines underneath so that the result is a closed shape that can be filled with a color. I can create the shape with the curve and 3 lines and everything looks connected but the fill just won't happen. I don't get any errors, it just doesn't fill with a color. What am I missing? Scott You need to make sure that all the lines are in the same geometry section. Graham provided a longer answer in the Yahoo Visio forum. John... Visio MVP Need...

Fill in text from drop down list box in Excel
Hello, I have created a drop down list box but the list is getting too big and the user has to scroll down the list to select the data. Is there a feature I can use to display the data that start with the same string. For example: If I type "Be" in my box, the box could display the list that start with "BE or Be". I created the drop down list by using "Data", chose "Validation", and chose "List" from the "Allow" tab. Thanks for your help. Bexi Bexi If your drop-down list if from Data Validation, you cannot have Autocomplete. T...

Selecting data for charts by criteria
Hi there, I am in control of a large database of information and I want to be able to automatically make my charts update to include new data that is added. I am using a regular excel spreadsheet. I would also like to be able to select which data is used for a chart depending on a criteria such as, 0 <= value <= 10. Any help is appreciated. Thanks Tim Archer ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~ View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Tim - If it's an external database, I guess yo...

delete rows when any cells in column A is filled in RED color
Hi people, I need your help for a VB code that can delete the rows with any cells in column A being filled in RED color ? Alternatively, it will be fine for me if you have the code that can move the rows to the top when there are cells being filled in RED color in column A . Thanks in advance for help. ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements If the colors are ...

Adding a Record
I have 2 Subforms on my Main form. Each Subform contains a combo box with drop-down list. Their tables are on the many side of the one-to-many relationship with the Main form. When I make a selection on Subform 1, Subform 2 automatically populates with a correlated item from its drop-down list. PROBLEM: when I make a SECOND selection on Subform 1, the item that was listed on Subform 2 gets replaced with the item correlating with the SECOND selection. How can I adjust my code so that the second item is ADDED to the list on Subform 2 instead of replacing the first item? A sample of...

Deleting a row when adding a new row -
I have a spreadsheet that contains 100 rows. I want to limit the number of rows to 100. I.e. if the user adds a row (i.e. row 101) then all data from row 1 is deleted. I do not have to worry about the deleted data as it is updated in the new row! Can anybody help. I think you're saying you want the first row to be automatically deleted when a row is added at the end of the table. The row will have to be deleted, it won't happen automatically. The macro language is there for such specific requirements. -- Regards from Virginia Beach, Earl Kiosterud www.smokeylake.com -------------...

Adding a menu
Hello, How do I add a new menu (not a sub-menu) to the menu bar using a macro in Excel 97? Thank you. Eric. Try this http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/index.php?d=envbacbmenuxl97 "Eric" <eric@mail.com> wrote in message news:uGVq7is3DHA.1760@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > How do I add a new menu (not a sub-menu) to the menu bar using a macro in > Excel 97? > > Thank you. > > Eric. > > Thank you. Eric. "Township of East Hanover" <someone@somewhere.com> wrote in message news:ofCdnczcvKAtppHdRVn-jw@garden.net... &...

"One or more of the selected senders could not be added to your blocked senders list"
Hey all. I get this when ever I try to killfile anyone at all, regardless of who they are. I'm on OE6 in XP Home and this has only just started happening. My KF only has a few spammers in it so I don't think it's full. Does anyone know what's going on? Thanks Ayatollah of rock 'n' roller wrote: > Hey all. I get this when ever I try to killfile anyone at all, regardless of > who they are. I'm on OE6 in XP Home and this has only just started > happening. My KF only has a few spammers in it so I don't think it's full. > Does anyone...