file

I have an excel file that an employee tried to save and
somehow has an error message on it that it will not save
because locked by another station.  I have done everything
from trying to find out who last used it to deleting it
and starting over and nothing works.

PLEASE HELP
amy
0
anonymous (74722)

Maybe Debra Dalgleish has the answer:
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#ReadOnly
or
http://www.contextures.com/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

--

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com

Excel stores in Windows\Temp(win98) folder a copy(s) of any file that is open.

Sometimes this *.tmp file is not deleted from the Temp folder when you close
out Excel(maybe a crash of Excel?) or the file, so Excel thinks it is still
open and locked for editing.

You can try a re-boot and see if that clears it up.

If not....after the re-boot, clear out your Windows\Temp folder.

If using WinXP your Temp folder would be under user.......

Documents and Settings\User\Local Settings\Temp

If on a network, re-booting the server may be the only solution.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 3 May 2004 15:42:00 -0700, "amy" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:

>I have an excel file that an employee tried to save and
>somehow has an error message on it that it will not save
>because locked by another station.  I have done everything
>from trying to find out who last used it to deleting it
>and starting over and nothing works.
>
>PLEASE HELP
>amy

0
Gord

Pub 2002 won't open all Pub 2000 files
I just got Pub 2002, and it opens some Pub 2000 files, but not all. On some, Pub 2002 totally crashes out when attempting to open the file. This is not a network issue, as was indicated in another thread by someone else. Anyone have this problem? What is the solution? Try to update your Publisher 2002. There is an update for the 2002 i.e Office 2002 Service pack 3. Click on the help menu in Publisher 2002 and click on Check for Updates. This should take you to the Office online site, go thru the site and get the service pack installed. This should get you working. "Don via OfficeKB...

Tif file import
I am wondering how I used to use a scanned *.tif file and import it into Excel with the text to columns function. Cannot seem to duplicate previous efforts. A TIFF file is a graphics file - Excel will treat it as a picture. You will need to process the file with an OCR (optical character recognition) program first. Bernard "Bruce Macdonald" <MacdonaldBruce@msn.com> wrote in message news:0e3601c385ec$682c36d0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I am wondering how I used to use a scanned *.tif file and > import it into Excel with the text to columns function. > Cannot seem to dup...

Explorer File List
Is there a way to list all files in a directory into a database in excel i.e. with a row for each file and columns of the listed file properties from explorer. See Directory List http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/software/dirlist/index.html -- Regards, Tushar Mehta www.tushar-mehta.com Excel, PowerPoint, and VBA add-ins, tutorials Custom MS Office productivity solutions In article <273e701c463e6$523269c0$a601280a@phx.gbl>, anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com says... > Is there a way to list all files in a directory into a > database in excel i.e. with a row for each file ...

Outlook Backup Error - cannot copy mailbox
Running 98se and outlook 2000 - before the outlook backup runs the following error message is displayed - Error copying file Cannot copy mailbox - File system error (2106) Any ideas on how to fix this welcome. ...

Main Outlook Data File Appears Several Times
The same data appears two times in the navigation pane view. The folders are identical and information changed in one is duplicated in the lower view. It is obviously one file but appears twice. Any suggestions? Michael Obymako <mobymako@earthlink.net> wrote: > The same data appears two times in the navigation pane view. The > folders are identical and information changed in one is duplicated in > the lower view. It is obviously one file but appears twice. Any > suggestions? You have a corrupt mail profile. Create a new one with Control Panel>Mail>Show Profile...

suggest a good video file converter
our cameras output MOV FILES. The plan is to record on a camera then transfer file via USB. I need a file converter program so I can use movie maker and then upload to youtube. I've read that Movie Maker isn't that great. Don't know haven't tried it yet. tia See if Irfanview will do the job for you. It will convert dozens of image formats to other image formats. These are the file formats/extensions supported by the current version of IrfanView: AIF�, ANI, AU�, AVI, AWD, B3D, BMP, CAM, CLP, CPT, CRW/CR2, CUR, DAT�, DCM/ACR, DCX, DDS, DIB, DJVU, DLL/...

merge 2 PDF files into 1 PDF file
I created a booklet using 2- 11 x 17's plus a insert for the booklet using 1- 8.5 x 11. I saved the booklet part as one PDF and the insert as another. Is there a way to merge these 2 PDF's for ease in e- mailing? (Publisher 2002) Thanks, Jim Open the second file; select Print, select your PDF creating program from the Printer drop down menu. Print at the bottom of the print window, select Append and then select the first file. -- Don - PDF-XChange Pro�/PDF-XChange Viewer Pro� Vancouver, USA - http://www.docu-track.com/downloads/users/ "Jim K." <grinmonger@aol.com...

how do i get a 2003 poweropint file to work on 2007?
i am having trouble getting my project to work on the school computers. The school has the latest version but i only have 2003... i need your help!! We need a little more information on what actually does not work. There should be no problem running a 2003 presentation in a 2007 environment. -- Michael Koerner MS MVP - PowerPoint "djh" <djh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:17CA4BB2-3ED9-4E0E-B8E1-3ABFF9EAEB0A@microsoft.com... i am having trouble getting my project to work on the school computers. The school has the latest version but i onl...

Converting to Money 2004 Data File
I have a data file created on Money for Windows 95 v.4a on another computer. Money 2004 v.12 on my new computer is having difficulty converting the file. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Describe "difficulty." Also, similar issues have been treated in other threads including the other one you started less than 30 minutes ago. Posting multiple times does not increase your chances of getting help. Quite the opposite. "Ron" <rkmaxwellNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message news:028101c3957a$0fc73c90$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I have a data file created on Money ...

Enormous files
I've got a strange problem with Excel 2000 (Office 2000 sp2) Even a single worksheet, with little information ( 50 rows by 10 columns ) creates a .xls file that is over 2 megabytes in size ! There are no macros present and the file is not infected by any viruses. Have tried cancelling all the cell formats and even eliminating all the empty columns and rows, but the file size doesn't change. This causes problems of extremely slow navigation within the worksheet. Anybody got an idea has to what may be causing this problem ? Thanks in advance Steve Hi maybe a problem with your u...

Unable to read file in Excel
Have Office XP and did the MS Office XP Updates and now I cannot open any Excel files I have created. Did a MS Office XP Updates put a security block on my old files? Purchased a DELL with Windows XP Home and Office XP factory install. DELL sent OEM Office XP Standard CD. When MS Office XP Update called for original CD I inserted the DELL OEM disk from DELL. Has the MS Office XP Update and the DELL OEM CD with the factory load of Office XP create a bad update?? Any new file created and saved still gets the "unable to open file" error message along with any older files I try to o...

Save only One Worksheet To Separate File
I need to place into a Word document, only one of several worksheets in a workbook. When I shade and save that worksheet, I get the entire workbook. Can someone please point me in the direction for these instructions. Hi Right-click on sheet tab and select 'Move or copy'. Check 'Create a copy' and in 'To book' field, select 'New Book'. OK You get a single-sheet new workbook. Save it under a new name. -- Arvi Laanemets (Don't use my reply address - it's spam-trap) "John Gregory" <jaygreg90@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ekPA9W...

UNRESOLVED: Attaching multiple files from the desktop
I'm running Outlook 2003 (non SP1) on all of my PCs. Outlook is configured on all PCs to use only HTML for emails (it's the default, anyways). If I attach 2 or more files (simultaneously) from windows explorer (using the "send to mail recipient), the email comes up as plain text. This happens on all clients. If only one file is attached, or if you attach multiple files *from the outlook email window itself*, then the email comes up as HTML, which is correct. We're using a document management system (DocsOpen) and it is not easy for my users to save each document to the desktop...

Make code aware of the workbook file name
My Auto_Open code runs a timer that will close a document if it has been open for 15 minutes (it is shared by a number of users, some of them tend to forget to close out when they are done). What I was wondering, since I want to create a template document to roll out each year, and I do not want to have to remember to change the document name in the code each year. Is there anyway that the code can be made aware of the document name? I can not use ActiveWorkbook since it might not be the active document at the time. Sub Auto_Open() ' ' AutoRun Macro ' Macro record...

can't open pub2000 file in pub2002
I have a bunch of Publisher 2000 files created by someone else on a different computer. I'm trying to open them in Publisher 2002 on my Windows ME computer. Most of them open but two will not. I do have Norton AntiVirus, I have already disabled script blocking and disabled the Microsoft Office Plug-In. I installed the patch for blocking the conversion of Wordart. The two files are 39MB and 44MB, but I've opened a file that was 80MB without trouble (well, it took a long time, but it opened). Can you help? Try opening them in safe mode. If they open, rename them, could be the ...

saving excel file as tab delimited
i am trying to save a excel file , and one of the cells in the file ha a string with a ',' and when saved as a tab delimited file , ""[Doubl Quotes] are printed around the string that was in the cell. EG: NOTE: If conduit is needed*, it * must be in place before vendors ar dispatched to complete any site work when saved as tab delimted file is saved as \" [/B] NOTE: IF CONDUIT IS NEEDED, IT MUST BE IN PLACE BEFORE VENDOR ARE DISPATCHED TO COMPLETE ANY SITE WORK[B]\" I do not want to see double quotes around the string in the ta delimited file. -- kirshr...

Help me please
Hi All my Publisher files created using Publisher under ME have converted themselves to .php extension files now that I'm running XP. I don't know how this has happened or whether it has anything to do with the change in operating system but does anyone know how I can convert them back so that Publisher can read them?? Any help or suggestions gratefully received as I need these documents urgently. Thanks Miranda Hi Thanks for replying to my plea for help. It could be that my Publisher files have been opened by Picture It because it is on my computer, although not used (by me). I...

Attach Link does not work if file name has changed
I used MS Money Plus Home and Business. I keep scanned copy of Invoices in one folder. I link them to MS Money. After linking the item in MS money to the file, a link icon appears in MS money. When I change the name of the scanned file, the link does not work any longer. There is no way of knowing whether the item (that still has a link icon) has a valid link or not (because the scanned file name changed)? Rajesh Sorry - the question was "Is there a way of knowing whether the item (that still has a link icon) has a valid link or not (because the scanned file name changed)?" ...

Slow to Open File
I have a file with about 40,000 records. All 40,000 records have hyperlinks in Column A. This file takes about one minute to open, and is very slow to edit, sort and modify! When I remove Column A, the file opens quickly. Is there a better way to store or reference my hyperlinks so that my file will open/process more quickly? Replace each hyperlink with the Hyperlink function... =HYPERLINK(location, name to display) The function uses less memory. -- Jim Cone Portland, Oregon USA "iamnu" <iamnubw@gmail.com> wrote in message I have a file with about 40,000 records. All 40...

xp home sp2 repair install needs asms file
i have a hp laptop w/xp home sp2. it has a dvd-cd combo drive & woundn't read cd's. talked with an IT guy. he walked me thru some checks. found auto start and disk drive ok. said prob. was in os & needed to do a repair reinstall. inserted original hp's 'operating system cd', restarted machine, error message came up needs 'asms file'. gave 4 chooses of paths to click on to get file but none worked. the pop up wind stayed on & can't continue with repair install. what is prob. & how do i fix it? can i get this file somewhere? thanks ...

Offline Folder File Settings
In Outlook 2003 Does anyone know why my file location for Offline Folder File is "grayout"? I can not either browse or set the - Encryption Setting, its also all "grayout" I'm running Exchange 2003 Thanks, Henning ...

Can't log into money file
I upgraded from 2002 to 2004 (standard) last night. It converted my existing file without any problems. I was able to connect to the bank accounts and retrieve the latest transactions. I closed Money to go work on something else but when I reopened Money later it won't sign into my passport account. Same result this morning. As a result I can't use any of the online services. I went to the msn home page and signed into my passport account manually and determined that Firefox (my default browser) was blocking my cookies for the msn.com site. I also checked IE and made sure that ...

Error in a large excel File
I have two files i use a formula and count some informaton. Since i made some more entires it show the error message in the attachement What can that be it is a lrge file about 8000 lines with 24 collums. but is this to large ? Formula =COUNTIF(DATA!$F$2:$F$8469;(B48&"x"&C48)) in the Cell DATA$F$2:$F$8469 is this formula =IF('E:\Documents and Settings\RS\My Documents\Inventory\[Timberstocklistactually test4.xls]INVENTORY'!U2=$E$1;IF('E:\Documents and Settings\RS\My Documents\Inventory\[Timberstocklistactually test4.xls]INVENTORY'!T2=0;'E:\Docume...

Linking Excel files -- I cannot find an answer anywhere.
I have an Excel spreadsheet with links in it going to other spreadsheets. When I click on a link, and it's a link to a file that's in use by another person, I get a message that the linked file is being modified and that I can either open it as read only or I can cancel. If I click on "Ok" to open as read only, the document hangs and I eventually have to end task. However, I can open the linked document directly as read only without a problem. Is the lock-up of Excel caused because I'm trying to link to an already opened Excel file? Is it possible to link to fi...

Importing an Excel file into Money
I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could download directly into Money (or Quicken) there is a monthly charge to do this. I don't want to use Money or Quicken to pay my bills, simply to organize my finances better. I am able to download my account data into Excel. Is there anyway I can import from Excel into Money? I tried doing this using the import feature, but nothing happened when I selected the Excel file and clicked import (no error messages or anything). In microsoft.public.money, Cruzin wrote: >I do my banking with Smith Barney. Although I could >...