File size #11

I have read the other discussions on file sizes but they do not seem to
address my problem.

I have an Excel file that is 12mb large with low-res jpegs in it. This file
also has merged cells to make it look pretty. Does Excel look at these merged
cells as graphics? Is this why they are too big? I have run a macro to make
sure that it  goes to the last  cell.

How can I get the file smaller?

How big are the graphics? If you remove them from the file, what is the size
of the file and what is the size of the graphic files?

To be sure you do not have extra formatting, if you open the file and look
at the horizontal and vertical scroll bars and take them to the end by
dragging the bars, do they go way past your data? If so, delete the empty
rows/columns between where the scroll bars take you and your data? Then go
back to a cell with data in it, save, close and reopen the file. Having the
formatting in empty rows will cause similar problems.

"Chitownbabs" wrote:

> I have read the other discussions on file sizes but they do not seem to
> address my problem.
>
> I have an Excel file that is 12mb large with low-res jpegs in it. This file
> also has merged cells to make it look pretty. Does Excel look at these merged
> cells as graphics? Is this why they are too big? I have run a macro to make
> sure that it  goes to the last  cell.
>
> How can I get the file smaller?

0
NickB (68)
10/29/2004 5:43:01 AM
I did do this and all cells are clear. My two images that are in the document
are jpeg's one is 4kb and the other is 6kb. I resaved the file and it still
is 2,822kb  which will convert out to 2.7mb. We want these to be abled to be
emailed as my other form with many images in it is 12mb. I have used the
compress option in Excel to make all the images web based with optimization.
Does it matter if the file size of the images was bigger or should I replace
the images with a smaller version of them then compress?

"Nick B" wrote:

> How big are the graphics? If you remove them from the file, what is the size
> of the file and what is the size of the graphic files?
>
> To be sure you do not have extra formatting, if you open the file and look
> at the horizontal and vertical scroll bars and take them to the end by
> dragging the bars, do they go way past your data? If so, delete the empty
> rows/columns between where the scroll bars take you and your data? Then go
> back to a cell with data in it, save, close and reopen the file. Having the
> formatting in empty rows will cause similar problems.
>
> "Chitownbabs" wrote:
>
> > I have read the other discussions on file sizes but they do not seem to
> > address my problem.
> >
> > I have an Excel file that is 12mb large with low-res jpegs in it. This file
> > also has merged cells to make it look pretty. Does Excel look at these merged
> > cells as graphics? Is this why they are too big? I have run a macro to make
> > sure that it  goes to the last  cell.
> >
> > How can I get the file smaller?

Here is fix for Windows file problems

[ANN] Office 11.3.8 update

Fax Icon on my File menu and toolbar

PAGE SIZE DIFFICULTY
WHEN I CHANGE MY PAGE SIZE AND PAPER SIZE MY PUBLICATION REMAINS THE SAME. COULD SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO SHRINK MY DOCUMENT TO MATCH MY PAPER SIZE >-----Original Message----- >WHEN I CHANGE MY PAGE SIZE AND PAPER SIZE MY PUBLICATION REMAINS THE SAME. >COULD SOMEONE TELL ME HOW TO SHRINK MY DOCUMENT TO MATCH MY PAPER SIZE >. > Choose Page setup from the File drop down menu and set the page size to suit your needs. Note that elements on the page do not change. You will have to rearrange to suit. MISS2728 wrote: > WHEN I CHANGE MY PAGE SIZE AND PAPER SIZE MY PUBLICATION RE...

Outlook receiving zip files

unable to read file #7

SBS 2003 moving of users files

Microsoft Outlook 03-11-10
I have just got a message saying not installed for the current user and it will not load. But I've been using it for years. George George;131443 Wrote: > I have just got a message saying not installed for the current user and > it > will not load. But I've been using it for years. > > GeorgeGeorge, welcome to the forum. When you post (here or in any forum), you will get faster and less frustrating replies if you do a few standard things: - try to define the problem in the thread title. Since this is an Outlook forum, simply stating "Mic...

Importing AOL Email File Cabinet

Exporting contacts in a csv file

Publisher can not save file

Excel 2007 PC damages Mac Excel 2008 Files

Continuing problmes with chkdsk and PST file
My PST file is apparently corrupted, with "Data error, cyclic redundancy check" upon starting Outlook. As per earlier advice, i ran chkdsk /r. But, chkdsk hangs. The % done on phase 4, file data check, was moving along at 1% per every 1 to 5 minutes. Then, at exactly 50%, it just stopped moving. I left it for a few hours, but no further progress (so i interrupted it). The disk light was on continually, but no progress in % complete. Also, if scanpst.exe is run, windows crashes (blue screen). So, are there any further suggestions? Is there any disk utility more robust t...

Numbering in Book Files
I am creating a tech manual where each chapter is its own file. I have created an outline numbered list and saved the list in a template that I then use to create the new chapters. However, I am finding that when I go into a new chapter that the outline numbering does not pick up on the chapter (Heading 1) number. For example: Chapter 1: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. But when I start my next chapter, when I update the chapter number to start at 2, I get this: Chapter 2: Heading 1 style 1.1: Heading 2 style 1.1.1: Heading 3 style, etc. ...

Restoring Outlook Files
hi, I need to move the actual inbox, etc. from one hard drive to another. Which files do I look for? I had Outlook configured as an IMAP client. I keep looking for a master "inbox" or "mailbox" file, but am unable to find it. thanks for the help! rt brown Look here for all the information you need on backup and restoration of Outlook data: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:02b50...

Outlook 2000 slow to attach files
I am running Outlook 2000 with XP, and when I go to attach a file on the network, it is extremely slow. However, when I go to the same file through Windows Explorer, it is very quick. Does anyone know what this problem might be or how to fix it? ...

problem opening up program/file

"Freeze panes" settings lost after opening file in two windows
I'm using Excel 2003. I've got a big Excel file with multiple tabs. Many of them use "freeze panes" to keep headings in place. I needed to flip back and forth between multiple tabs, so I opened the file in a second windows. Now, when I save it, all the "freeze pane" settings are lost. Any suggestions? Thanks. That Freeze panes setting is assocated with a window. Maybe you're not looking at the correct window or maybe you closed the window that had freeze panes applied. I'd try: Window|Arrange|horizontal to see if you still have multiple windows assoc...