File Reservation error on shared Excel 97 spreadsheet, need help preventing it. 10 users accessing it, but can't always make changes.

File Reservation error on shared Excel 97 spreadsheet, need help
preventing it.

I have a shared Excel 97 spreadsheet located on a Windows 2000 Server.
There are about 10 computers that share access to it.  The spreadsheet
was setup just a few weeks ago.

What should happen is the first computer that opens the file has
Read/Write access.   When additional users access it, they get a
message saying it's in use by (User Name) for Read Only access or
Notify them when it's available for editing.

On occasion, the user with Read / Write access will close the file
down, but the other users will still get that same notification that
the file is not available for editing.

So far the only way i've been able to resolve the problem, when it
happens randomly, it by shutting down the computer that is hanging it
up (identified by the Excel user name).  Even shutting the pc down is
usually not enough.  It seems I have to open it up & close it down a
couple times, then wait 10 minutes and try again.   This normally
clears it up.

I'm not sure if shutting the pc down is necessary (or the server), but
i'm guessing there may be some type of delay across the network or
something of that sort.

Windows 2000 Server
Client PC's are Windows 98SE

On the server side you need to release the lock.
You do this by going in Computer Management (under
Administrator tools), then Shared Folders, then Open
Files.  Find the user that says the file is open (when
it's not), and go to the Action menu and select close open
file.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Joanne

Thanks, I'll try that.

On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:44:32 -0700, "Joanne Ramaekers"
<jo_nzchick@hotmail.com> wrote:

>On the server side you need to release the lock.
>You do this by going in Computer Management (under
>Administrator tools), then Shared Folders, then Open
>Files.  Find the user that says the file is open (when
>it's not), and go to the Action menu and select close open
>file.
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>Regards
>Joanne

0
ask9125 (1)
5/25/2004 6:32:46 PM
Actually, looking at your solution again,  it looks like you perfectly
described the process.  Just took me a minute.

On Tue, 25 May 2004 18:32:46 GMT, ask@fake.com (Nate Goulet) wrote:

>Thanks, I'll try that.
>
>On Mon, 24 May 2004 17:44:32 -0700, "Joanne Ramaekers"
><jo_nzchick@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On the server side you need to release the lock.
>>You do this by going in Computer Management (under
>>Administrator tools), then Shared Folders, then Open
>>Files.  Find the user that says the file is open (when
>>it's not), and go to the Action menu and select close open
>>file.
>>
>>Hope this helps.
>>
>>Regards
>>Joanne

Change domain name
Do some have tips or instruction to change the domain name where crm 3.0 is install You will need to follow the redeployment instruction to redeploy CRM from your old domain to new domain. The tool is in your CRM 3.0 CD. Darren Liu Crowe Chizek http://www.crowecrm.com On Jul 30, 1:20 pm, Denis <De...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Do some have tips or instruction to change the domain name where crm 3.0 is > install ...

changing GUID on ActiveX control
I need to change the GUID on an ActiveX control I have, such that two versions of the same control can exist on a local machine. (because the two interfaces are different!). Any idea how I can accomplish this? Thanks, Ike "Ike" <rxv@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<nE9Mc.8956$iK.7851@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net>... > I need to change the GUID on an ActiveX control I have, such that two > versions of the same control can exist on a local machine. (because the two > interfaces are different!). > > Any idea how I can accomplish this? Thanks, Ike ...

Row cannot be located Error when open POS
When I reinstall RMS 2.0 and its DataBase as blank like stand alone works fine, but when I sincronize data with HQ Server, all seem to be ok until I try to open POS aplication. It show me this message: Row cannot be located for updating. Some values may have been changed since it was last read I have SQL Server 2005 Xpress, MDAC 2.8 Windows XP sp2 This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_02B5_01C8682E.9D298F30 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Charles, Make sure the same RMS versions are at both HQ...

how to implement User Interface Thread.
Hi guys, i am performing some task on picture Box rectangle under worker thread, in between i am changing size of picture box rectangle , and immediately i got error message RtlFreeHeap(), i think this is due to i am changing rectangle size that are used by worker thread. so what is the solution of this problem , user interface thread is the solution of this problem, i am not very sure about the solution, please tell me what is the exact solution of this problem. Not sure exactly what you mean but you should not change the size of a window from worker thread. You should post a custom messag...

Help! Can't open my Outlook 2003
Message I get is: Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Unable to open the Outlook Window. The set of folders could not be opened. The server is not available. Contact your administrator if this condition persists. Need suggestion on what to do please. What type of email account do you use? Did it work before? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outloo...

Changing dd/mm/yy to the day of the week
Hi, Am looking for a macro or whatever which will change a set of dates into the corresponding week day. Ie: I have a column of dates in this format: 01/01/03 thru to 16/10/03. I want to write a quick macro which will then drop into an adjacent cell, the day of the week that each day is, so in column 'A' we have the dates (01/01/03) and in column 'B' we have the day that that date was ie Wednesday. any help would be great. cheers On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 02:13:51 -0700, Gerald wrote: > Hi, > > Am looking for a macro or whatever which will change a set > of ...

Access 2003 & the Database Documenter
I want to print out some TableDefs as a reference as I work on myapplication code. But I can't find that thing that used to be called the"Database Documenter".Did they take it out of Access 2003 or did they hide it in some differentplace that I am not seeing?Help?-- Peace & happy computing,Mike Labosh, MCSD MCTOwner, vbSensei.Com"Escriba coda ergo sum." -- vbSensei > I want to print out some TableDefs as a reference as I work on my> application code. But I can't find that thing that used to be called the> "Database Documenter".Nevermind, I f...

a if calculation help
Hi all i have a if calculation which i need to expand but I can't figure it out =IF(AND(D21>=1,D21<=7),"week",IF(AND(D21>=8,D21<=15),"2 wks","3 wks")) I need to expand it if you can help would be much appriciated 1-7 Wk 8 - 15 2 wks 16 - 23 3 wks 24 - 31 1 month 32 - 89 2-3 months 90 - 179 6 months 180 + season I hope you understand that for the numbers i need the result showing in the cell i.e. 1- 7 number showing in cell will answer as week Thankyou for your assistance in advance 360 + season Create a 2 colu...

Help with Mailing Labels
New to Excel and having problems with mailing mailing labels from my list. Any help out there. Jeff Jeff Are you attempting to make labels directly in Excel? It could be done in Excel only, but........ Investigate the use of Word's mailmerge feature to get Excel data to labels and envelopes. Doing it strictly in Excel is difficult and involves much trial and error formatting. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateAMailMerge.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge/CreateADataSource.htm Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, ...

Changing Default Save Location for Email Attachments
Hey gang.. I understand the Tools>Options>General tab allows you to change the default open/save file for Excel, however, this does not work when you open a file received as an attachment. The Save As location changes to one of the Temp folders. Does anyone know how to change this? I use Outlook 2002 - and this may be impossible, but it is extremely irritating and I would love to find out how to change this Thanks --Shane Hi shane try Ron's sendmail add-in: http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Shane wrote: > Hey gang... > > I ...

Excel files won't come up
I am having trouble bringing up any Excel file. I get an error message with a error signature like this AppName:Excel.exe AppVer 9.0.0.2719 ModName:mso9:11 ModVer:9.0.0.2720 Offset:00045909 When I look up the tech information at the bottom I get this c:\docume~1\HarryG~1\Locals~1\temp\2958_appcompat.txt I sent this message last week and the remark was to double click and copy the error and reply. I did and I haven't seen any reply yet. I really need to use the Excel files which I use often. All other ofice files OK Help!!! I don't have a guess about what's ...

How to code a batch file?
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code a batch file to open an excel file if current time is between 9 am and 10 am? otherwise don't open it. Thanks in advance for any suggestions Eric On Mar 25, 8:37=A0pm, Eric <E...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > Does anyone have any suggestions on how to code a batch file to open an e= xcel > file if current time is between 9 am and 10 am? otherwise don't open it. > Thanks in advance for any suggestions > Eric I would try this group. Andy http://groups.google.com/group/alt.msdos.batch.nt?hl=3Den ...

Sharing out a users calendar
I a trying to share out one of my users calendar, something I have done countless times before, but this time it is giving me an error. We have Outlook 2002 SP2 running on NT Workstation 4 SP6, I am able to set permissions on the calendar itself, but when go to set permissions on the "Mailbox - User" it gives me "The modified permission could not be saved. The client operation failed." Any suggestions? Thanks Eric To share the calendar, you don't need to share anything on the root folder ("sharees" will be able to use file | open other user's folder ...

CRM 3.0
Hi, I have been reading forums for a while now and have tried basically everything that I could get my hands on to try and resolve my problem and have not been successful. Here is my setup, the problem and then followed by what I have tried: Setup: --------- SBS 2003 Server 4 Gig of Ram, CRM 3.0 GIGbit Lan Mixture of XP and Vista PCs. (Total of 10 stations using the CRM) Problem: ------------ I have changed IE User Authentication to prompt for username and password. Login with any user account using IE 7 on XP or Vista. The Side Panel and Header display almost instantly. The First page is t...

Asset Template in Access
I set everything up in the Asset Template database and at first loved it. However, I noticed that there was a Show Retired check box and started trying to figure out how to register an asset as retired. I could find no tutorial or topic in Help. Since playing around with it I now get a Enter Retired Date everytime I open the file. I finally put in an arbitrary number and when I uncheck the Show Retired box in the Asset List Form view all my assets disappear as though I've retired everything. However, when i go to Assets Retired view under Queries it only show one item. H...

Create Pareto Chart in Excel? #2
Thanks for the responses. The data is in a sorted frequenc distribution. I have the data analysis add-in installed, but i couldn' locate the data analysis pull down or the histogram with pareto option I'm running excel 2000, I can still create a pareto with this versio correct -- Tycon2 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Tycon22's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1626 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27698 The bottom entry on the Tools menu should be "Data Analysi...

Hi I'm New and need help with Excel Basics
Please can anyone help me answer any of these questions: How would you add the contents of the cells from A1 to A10. Give 2 ways to do this. (hint: Look up "Examples of common formulas" in Excel help How do you format a cell to have dollar signs next to the numbers? How do you add the contents of cells A1 through A10 on sheet 1 and make the answer show up on sheet 2? How do you rename a sheet? Can I delete the sheets that I don't need? If so how? How do I freeze rows or columns of the sheet so that they don't' move when you scroll up or down? Example: My n...

File Saving with Text from File
I have a template, and the customer name always goes in the same cell. When I click the save button, I would like to have the customer name pop into the "save as" area instead of having to type it every time. Thanks for your help Only way is to keep opening the same file that already has the customers name. You must be adding dates or numbers after the customers name. Just open up the last file for that customer and tweak the dates/numbers. "jweasl" wrote: > I have a template, and the customer name always goes in the same cell. When I > click the save button, ...

Access 2000 to 2003 Conversion
Hi, We are about to move to 2003 from 2000. While the Access 2000 file format is compatible with 2003 I wanted to find out if there are reasons we should try and convert all our databases to 2003? Are we going to have any issues if we leave them in the 2000 format and just use them in 2003? Thanks, -- Jonathan Thomas Hampshire County Council The 2002/2003 format is supposed to be faster and more stable than the 2000 format. Microsoft's recommendation is that if everyone is using Access 2002 or 2003 you should use the new format. However, if the 2000 format is working satisfacto...

help with outlook 2002 XP
I deleted an old exchange server account as it always showed an error when send/receiving. When I did this I lost all inboz and calendar -- can I retrieve any of this data??? Also cannot even send emails as message pops up saying no data files available. ANy thoughts? ...

User Is Prompted for Password That Is Already Saved
I really need help with this one. I save the password in my Outlook (2002), but it remembers it for only 1 session. The next time I start Outlook, it asks me for my password again. Why is this happening and how can i fix this? I looked for this all over the Microsoft Knowledge Base and the best answer for this i could find was to install SP1 and SP2. Both of them are already installed on my computer. If anyone has any ideas about how this could be fixed, please let me know. Thanks in advance, Kamran If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, t...

Outlook 2010 04-19-10
Testing Office 2010 but before using any of the suite need to setup up Outlook first but cannot Import CSV file addressbook from either 2003 or 2007 in to it. Error message "Invalid SAM ID" and following global search it can be done with a "translator" but no one seems to know where to get it from so still cannot use Outlook. Although a beta product Outlook is specifically a communications application but not being able to easily import your contacts makes the application totally useless! I would have thought that MS would have at least made sure that the mos...

Restrict user from sending messages as somebody else?
I have a user that is part of the Administrator group so he can do our backups here at work, the problem that I have is that he is sending messages as other users which I want to restrict him from doing. How can I make this happen? We are using Windows Server 2003/Exchange 2003 sp2/Outlook 2003 "Penny Miller" <Penny.Miller@co.chelan.wa.us> wrote in message news:%23twPSbvmGHA.3668@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl... >I have a user that is part of the Administrator group so he can do our >backups here at work, the problem that I have is that he is sending >messages as...

Releasing a pointer in ExitInstance in a MFC DLL results in an Access Violation
Hello, I am trying to write a statically linked MFC regular DLL that uses a COM object. In ExitInstance of this DLL, when I try to release the interface pointer of the COM object, the DLL gives an access violation. I am testing the DLL in a statically linked MFC dialog based executable. The development platform is VS.NET 2003. Here are the steps: // MFC DLL BOOL CCrashTestApp::InitInstance() { CWinApp::InitInstance(); ::CoInitialize (0); HRESULT hr = ::CoCreateInstance (CLSID_XMLDocument, NULL, CLSCTX_INPROC_SERVER, IID_IUnknown, reinterpret_cast <void**> (&m_pUnk)); retu...

Can't save new Excel Doc