File naming conventions

I received an excel worksheet. It's named "fileA 24Aug2005.xls". When i
open it up on my mac in excel, the date truncates to something like
"fileA #17D114.xls. This wouldn't be a problem, except that when i
print their file from my computer, the new name, prints at the bottom
of the worksheet which won't fly because the new name printed wouldn't
match their database.

2 questions.

1) where is this file name stored and where is the command that tells
it to print at the bottom, because i don't see it on my screen, only
the printed copy.

2) how can i open a file without changing the system changing the
name?

very grateful for any insight.

Mary

--
gidget
gidget's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28460

gidget Wrote:
> I received an excel worksheet. It's named "fileA 24Aug2005.xls". When i
> open it up on my mac in excel, the date truncates to something like
> "fileA #17D114.xls. This wouldn't be a problem, except that when i
> print their file from my computer, the new name, prints at the bottom
> of the worksheet which won't fly because the new name printed wouldn't
> match their database.
>
> 2 questions.
>
> 1) where is this file name stored and where is the command that tells
> it to print at the bottom, because i don't see it on my screen, only
> the printed copy.
>
> 2) how can i open a file without changing the system changing the
> name?
>
> very grateful for any insight.
>
> Mary

Hi Mary

The file name at the bottom is probably in Footers, click View > Header
and Footer, under footer click the down arrow and select none

Don't know how it changes the name sorry

--
Paul Sheppard

Paul Sheppard's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=24783
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480604

Paul - thanks for the tip, that worked.

now i just need to figure out why when i open the original file, the
name changes on me. i have 54 files and they all end with a date like
24Aug05. that's the part that changes on me. it must have something to
do with an auto naming from the original user?

i was poking around in the footer section and went to the section where
you could insert the &[File]. that's the part that's going to goof me up
unless i can somehow prevent it from renaming the file. thanks your help
and thanks for any insight.

--
gidget
gidget's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28460
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480604

XL v.X limits filenames to 31 characters - if the filename exceeds that
length, the last few characters are hashed (not on the original file,
but in the titlebar and internally during the session, such as with the
filename in the View/Header and footer dialog). OS X doesn't change the
filename, and if you save the file, the name is preserved, unless you do
a Save As.

XL04 removed that restriction.

There's no workaround within XL. However, there are applescripts that
allow you to batch change filenames to shorter versions. Of course, the
filenames still wouldn't match "their" database.

In article <gidget.1xrxqb_1130774707.3637@excelforum-nospam.com>,
 gidget <gidget.1xrxqb_1130774707.3637@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> I received an excel worksheet. It's named "fileA 24Aug2005.xls". When i
> open it up on my mac in excel, the date truncates to something like
> "fileA #17D114.xls. This wouldn't be a problem, except that when i
> print their file from my computer, the new name, prints at the bottom
> of the worksheet which won't fly because the new name printed wouldn't
> match their database.
>
> 2 questions.
>
> 1) where is this file name stored and where is the command that tells
> it to print at the bottom, because i don't see it on my screen, only
> the printed copy.
>
> 2) how can i open a file without changing the system changing the
> name?
>
> very grateful for any insight.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
10/31/2005 4:28:51 PM
thanks so much for those words of wisdom. at least i can explain it to
the client! thanks again...

--
gidget
gidget's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28460
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480604

Hello again, i'm at it again with this crazy file name problem. This
question is so stupid, how can i upgrade to XL04? is this free or paid?
- i'm currently at Excel X Version 10.1.0 on the Mac. Can someone simply
point me to the correct site to download the correct patch for this
naming issue? Microsoft is so cumbersome that I'm half crazy trying to
decipher what i need... thanks so much for any insight...
Mary

--
gidget
gidget's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28460
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480604

If you don't get an answer in this newsgroup, maybe you'll get one here:

gidget wrote:

> Hello again, i'm at it again with this crazy file name problem. This
> question is so stupid, how can i upgrade to XL04? is this free or paid?
> - i'm currently at Excel X Version 10.1.0 on the Mac. Can someone simply
> point me to the correct site to download the correct patch for this
> naming issue? Microsoft is so cumbersome that I'm half crazy trying to
> decipher what i need... thanks so much for any insight...
> Mary
>
> --
> gidget
> gidget's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=28460
> View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=480604

--

Dave Peterson
0
 gidget <gidget.1yidky_1132008301.268@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote:

> Hello again, i'm at it again with this crazy file name problem. This
> question is so stupid, how can i upgrade to XL04? is this free or paid?
> - i'm currently at Excel X Version 10.1.0 on the Mac. Can someone simply
> point me to the correct site to download the correct patch for this
> naming issue? Microsoft is so cumbersome that I'm half crazy trying to
> decipher what i need... thanks so much for any insight...

There's no patch. MacOffice v.X uses Mac OS X system routines that are
limited to 32 characters, so it will never be able to generate long file
names.

Note that you're using a very old version of Office v.X - the latest
update is 10.1.6, which you can download, free, from MacTopia Downloads:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx

Again, you can open files with long names in Office v.X, and save them
again without a problem, even though you'll see the hashed name in the
title bar. You just can't use Save As with a long name - though you can
Save As with a short name and then rename the file in Finder. Depending
on the structure of your filenames, you might even be able to automate
this using a Folder Action script.

MacOffice 2004 is an upgrade product, which means you'll have to pay for
it. Go to MacTopia:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/

where, about half-way down the page is a section labeled "How to buy".
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)

Outlook 2003
When I type in a name to address an email, unless I have mailed them already and they appear on the recently used list, I then get a Check Names dialogue box and have to then search for additional names, even though the name is in the Address Book. Not sure why this is happening - I do have the Option to Suggest Names checked? Any ideas? Thanks State the steps you are using more clearly. You are talking about two completely different features here, the first is autocompletion, the second autoresolution. The latter will not prompt you for a search unless you have entered an invali...

Is there ANY possibility to view embedded PDF object in XLS file after when this xls file is digitally signed?
Hello, I created an XLS file with an embedded pdf object. I can view this object when I double click on its icon. However, if I sign this xls file, I am no longer able to view this embedded PDF object. If I double click on its icon, nothing happen. I am concerned in this last two days with no results. I appreciated any advice. Mike ...

Expost Outlook PST file to Outlook 2002 PST file
I have a customer who has bought a copy of Office 2003 which he has now decided he doesn't like!! He has asked me to return his system to his old Office XP Professional. No problem except for one thing - I exported his PST file from Outlook 2003 (11.5608.5703) and tried to import it toOutlook 2002 (10.2627.2625) and the result was that Outlook 2002 doesn't recognise the format of the Outlook 2003 PST file! My customer isn't impressed!! Does nyone any ideas on how I can either export the file in a format that will be recognised AND keep all his folders and messages where t...

Moving my Outlook files to new computer
How can I move my Outlook 2003 files (Contacts, Calendar, mail, etc) to a new computer? ...

importing multiple text files???
Hi, I am experiencing a big problem. As a part of my analysis for PhD I have to analyze more then 1000 files. The data that I have is in text files. To be more precise, I have 5 different data sets, from different meteo centres, each centre has a data set of 365 files for each day during the year. The format of text files is something as following: Camborne Met. Office WINDS rev 4.1 50.20 -5.30 88 02 01 01 00 00 23 0 29 3 35 07:09 (3.0) 07:09 (3.0) 06:08 (3.0) 284 284 65 65 400 400 23 23 12.5 12.5 1 1500 1500 35 35 400 400 43 90.0 43 74.5 313 74.5 HT SPD DIR Radials... 0.101 9.8 113 0.0...

Opening tab-delimited files in Excel... how to stop the autoformat of dates?
Hello, I'm doing bioinformatics work in which I often download tab-delimited files describing genomes and open them in Excel. Unfortunately, Excel decides that genes with names like APR1 and SEP7 are actually dates, and reformats them as such. This is a huge headache, as I often don't notice these problems until much later. Is there anyway to completely disable this date autoformatting? I've searched high and low and have yet to find a solution. Thanks! P.S. I'm using Excel 2002 -- salamander ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sa...

File Association in Dialog-Based Application
Has anyone seen any info on how to associated a file type with my dialog-based application? In order to use RegisterShellFileTypes(), I must add my document template using AddDocTemplates(). But AddDocTemplates() can't be called without a CDocument class. Thanks for any thoughts. -- Jonathan Wood SoftCircuits Programming http://www.softcircuits.com >Has anyone seen any info on how to associated a file type with my >dialog-based application? > >In order to use RegisterShellFileTypes(), I must add my document template >using AddDocTemplates(). But AddDocTemplates() ...

ACH file incorrect
The bank says our ach file is incorrect. It should begin with 522 and end with 822 and it begins with 520 and ends with 820. Does anyone know where or what I need to change to get this the file to display correctly. Thanks for any input Brandon ...

Obtaining Path of the file/folder ?
Hi I have an mfc dialog based demo application. I wanted to add my application's entry in the Windows Explorer's context menu, which i m able to successfully by making some additions to the registry. Now whenever the user right clicks on some folder/file,the context menu displays my application's entry which gets executed when the user clicks on it. How can i obtain the path of the file/folder on which the user right clicked ? Waiting for suggestions Regards >I have an mfc dialog based demo application. >I wanted to add my application's entry in the Windows Expl...

.XLB file corrupted often
The excel.xlb file is getting currupted every week or so. Once replaced w. a good version things work fine for a while. Any suggestions on premenent fixes or what is possibly corrupting it. Thanks for any suggestions Hi Andrew, One possibility is some rogue VBA code which is customising menus/toolbars and not undoing its work properly. If this is the case then yoour XLB file can get larger and larger until it falls over. If you are running any VBA code or using addins check that they have a workbook_close routine that removes any changes to menus/toolbars they have made. hth Charles...

Are there functions/Or Events that are called automatically when the database file first opens and When it closes?
All, I'm assuming its "Public Function init_something()" but I can't seem to find a reference to the correct syntax. I'm using Access 2007. Basically what I'm trying to do is initialize a list of global variables and I can't seem to figure out how to do it. Option Compare Database Public VariableName As String 'Call Init - Will throw an error 'VariableName = "Hello World" - Will throw an error Option Explicit Public Function Init() VariableName = "Hello World" End Function Private Sub btName_Click() ...

OUTLOOK FIELD NAME
Hi at all!!!I have this problem....I want export my mail from Lotus Notes into Microsoft Outlook 2000. I have the script already available but I don't know the field name of Outlook document. Something can help me??? Bye.... how in the heck did you get that far, i can't figure any of it out ----- giuliano wrote: ----- Hi at all!!!I have this problem....I want export my mail from Lotus Notes into Microsoft Outlook 2000. I have the script already available but I don't know the field name of Outlook document. Something can help me???...

Money 4.0 file transfer to Money Essentials
I am getting an error message when I try to import my Money 4.0 backup file to Money Essentials program on my new PC. Are the 2 version incompatible? =?Utf-8?B?Y21nZnVzYQ==?= <cmg_fusa@yahoo.com> wrote in news:E3AD8366-ED94-4625-A534-C0CCA8F3DBA8@microsoft.com: > I am getting an error message when I try to import my Money 4.0 > backup file to Money Essentials program on my new PC. Are the 2 > version incompatible? Yes. Money Essentials is incompatible with everything. Take it back and get Money Plus. -- Steve B. New Life Home Improvement In microsoft.public.money, cm...

Re: Outlook client installation error (file or assembly name not found) (solved)
"Steve Yates" <steve@teamITS.com> wrote in message news:... > We have one PC that gets the following error and can't get past the system > requirements phase of the desktop client installation: > > "Microsoft CRM Client for Outlook Setup User Input > File or assembly name 9o3db28v.dll, or one of its dependencies, was not > found." > > (the file name is random and changes on every installation attempt). Any > suggestions? The user has tried repairing and reinstalling Office, > installing and uninstalling .NET 2.0, verifying/empytin...

jpeg files
Hi, I find that jpeg files always displayed as attachment in outlook2003. Compared to outlook express where i can see the picture without double clicking on it to view it. How can i configure outlook2003 to work like outlook express? thanks I have Outlook 2002, but if 2003 works the same . . . Instead of ATTACHING the jpeg, got the INSERT menu and choose PICTURE. That will place the picture in the body of the message. Pat >-----Original Message----- >Hi, >I find that jpeg files always displayed as attachment in outlook2003. >Compared to outlook express where i can see t...

my file or edit in spanish how do you put on english
If you need to translate a document between Spanish and English, you'll need to hire a translator or learn both languages. Publisher isn't clever enough to do it automatically. If Publisher itself appears in Spanish and you want it in English, you're also probably out of luck, as you only get one language in your product box, you can't change it. (The exception being that if you have an English version installed, you can install a MUI to get access to other language versions.) -- Ed Bennett - MVP Microsoft Publisher ...

Error Message
I've started getting the following message each time I sign on to money. Due to Changes in your Money file, the saved version of the "Portfolio Value by Investment Account" report is no longer valid. Money has attempted to reset the report, but you should reset it manually to avoid unreliable information. I've tried to reset the report manually but to no avail. Anyone have any ideas / solutions ? In microsoft.public.money, greggoz wrote: >I've started getting the following message each time I >sign on to money. > > Due to Changes in your Money fil...

pass arguments to macro of excel file from command line
Hi, I realy need to pass aruments to macro(Auto_Open)s of excel file from command prompt. I tried with following code ----------------------------------------------------------------------------- Declare Function GetCommandLine Lib "kernel32" _ Alias "GetCommandLineA" () As Long Declare Function lstrlen Lib "kernel32" _ Alias "lstrlenA" (ByVal lpString As Long) As Long Declare Function lstrcpy Lib "kernel32" _ Alias "lstrcpyA" (ByVal lpDestString As String, ) ByVal lpSrcString As Long) As Long Sub Test() Ms...

Certain operations EXTREMELY slow on 64 bit Vista Premium: opening file, printing,...
Certain operations are extemely slow. After I choose the command or menu item, the progress bar freezes about at the 50% point and there is no CPU or disk activity at all for over a minute. These operations have the problem: - Opening a file (even a tiny template) in CorelDraw X3 - Printing anything, on any network printer - Certain dialog boxes in certain applications Oddly, many apps seem to have no problem at all (eg Autodesk 3ds Max 2009, a 6 year old copy of Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8, etc). Also, although Coreldraw takes ages to open any file, it saves a file in normal time...

End of File
We have XP and Office 2000 on a lovely farm in Kingston Seymour, just outside Clevedon, North Somerset, England. In Excel I occasionally lose the bottom of the document and doing Ctrl End takes me to line 65536 or column IV. Once saved the document is huge. I have searched for any text around this area, but there is nothing there. I have deleted the columns to the right of my text and all the rows to the v v bottom of document, but can’t seem to clear this. The only way is to copy the active rows and columns, paste them in a new tab, re-format etc etc and delete the tab. Is there any wa...

sharing a .pst file / double emails
Hi all. I have a small home network, a windows 2000 laptop in the living room and an windows XP desktop in the office. I network via a router but it is Peer to Peer. I have placed an Outlook .pst file in a shared folder on the desktop box. I have both computers running Outlook 2002 and both set to use this shared .pst file. I get my mail from a POP3 mail server owned by my ISP. I have choosen to leave email on the server for 7 days and then delete it because I need to read or check email via the ISP's web interface when I am away from home. Everything works fine; I an can look ...

File Crashed, DB info lost, Recovery?
Dear all, I have a visio 2003 file was crashed when I save it, it still can open but all DB information was lost, is it possible to fix it? Thanks a lot! Leo http://technigirls.com/Drawing7.vsd try to save as XML and to reopen. When an XML visio file (vdx) is reopened, Visio test for consistentobject and ignore all incorrect object. Thus you drawing will be clean. Hope this can help. Enjoy with visio. "Bad Leo" <badleo.spam@gmail.com> a �crit dans le message de news:uQzLxIuYIHA.1208@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > Dear all, > > I have a visio 2003 file was crashed w...

Having issues sending 11M text file with WLM and having it hang
I am trying to send an 11M text file through WLM and having it hang. When I say hang I mean that WLMail.exe takes 50% of the CPU usage and sits for over 12 hours without sending the email. I have checked the IO read and write bytes for the process and they do not change (through task manager). Does anyone have a suggestion or is this a known issue with no resolution? Thanks in advance "NewWLMUser" wrote: > I am trying to send an 11M text file through WLM and having it hang. When I > say hang I mean that WLMail.exe takes 50% of the CPU usage and sits fo...

Help needed with writing files in binary mode.
I need to add writing a binary file to my application and I haven't had much experience with writing files. I've been trying to understand and use examples found on the web and here is what I've been working with. 'Start code: Dim i As Integer Dim nFileNum As Integer Dim sFilename As String sFilename = "C:\Temp.bin" Open sFilename For Binary Access Write As #nFileNum ' Put data in the file For i = 0 To 15 'Write #nFileNum, , i Put #nFileNum, , i Next i Close #nFileNum 'End code This works but when I look at the file usi...