File format not valid message

I have Excel 2000 office.  Created a workbook document and saved it in Excel.  Now when I try to open it the message "File format not valid comes up".  What do I do to open the document in Excel workbook format.
0
anonymous (74722)

You have damaged your file file.  You may be able to recover
data but  the first thing I would do is to copy your file and to
work from the copy of the file.

Always check the file with your virus scanner and anyone else
who attempts to open your file should do the same.

Open Notepad and drag the file to the notepad,  if you can
see text that is a good sign.

You may be able to open the file with another version of Excel
usually the higher the version the better.  You may be able to
open the file  with  OpenOffice their free version of StarOffice,
but suggest going to
     http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm#recovery

---
HTH,

"kweaver6801@aol.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I have Excel 2000 office.  Created a workbook document and saved it in Excel.  Now when I try to open it the message "File format
not valid comes up".  What do I do to open the document in Excel workbook format.

0
dmcritchie (2586)
11/23/2003 10:54:37 PM
Another way might be to try to open it in Word since Word can be the
culprit,
If an Excel wb is opened in Word and if it is saved when prompted upon
closing it will be
in wrong format for Excel. Of course if that's the case the file is lost
except what can be copied and pasted from Word

--

Regards,

Peo Sjoblom

"David McRitchie" <dmcritchie@msn.com> wrote in message
> You have damaged your file file.  You may be able to recover
> data but  the first thing I would do is to copy your file and to
> work from the copy of the file.
>
> Always check the file with your virus scanner and anyone else
> who attempts to open your file should do the same.
>
> Open Notepad and drag the file to the notepad,  if you can
> see text that is a good sign.
>
> You may be able to open the file with another version of Excel
> usually the higher the version the better.  You may be able to
> open the file  with  OpenOffice their free version of StarOffice,
> but suggest going to
>      http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/backup.htm#recovery
>
> ---
> HTH,
> David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel    [site changed  Nov. 2001]
>
> "kweaver6801@aol.com" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> > I have Excel 2000 office.  Created a workbook document and saved it in
Excel.  Now when I try to open it the message "File format
> not valid comes up".  What do I do to open the document in Excel workbook
format.

0
terre081 (3244)

Validation Confusion-Excel 2003
On a timesheet I need to ensure that when I enter in the times of a the DAY shift that it is on or after 6:00 am. The finish time is not important as the start time dictates the shift. For example, someone may start at 7:30 and work thro to 3:30 (or 15:50), this equals a day shift. I may have someone else who starts at 6:00 am and finishes at 10:00 am, this also equals a day shift. I also need an AFTERNOON shift that starts at 12:00 (Noon). I believe if I have the answer to the day, this will come easy to me (that is if the Noon time doesn't become a hinderance??) I also need ...

Hide "You are about to" message box
How do you bypass all of the "You are about to" messages that pop up when you run an append or delete query so it just runs without you having to hit the yes button in the message? From the Access menu Tools, Options, and select the Edit/Find tab. In the Confirm section, uncheck the warning messages you don't want to see. -- Dave Hargis, Microsoft Access MVP "Supe" wrote: > How do you bypass all of the "You are about to" messages that pop up when you > run an append or delete query so it just runs without you having to hit the > yes button i...

IS there a way to compare 2 excel files
I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is there such a thing? Hi Now imagine how totally different two excel files can possibly be. The report would say ... ? But if you have two pretty similar sheets, try Myrna Larson and Bill Manville's "Compare", downloadable from http://www.cpearson.com/excel/download.htm HTH. Best wishes Harald "PeterM" <pmaston@comcast.net> skrev i melding news:%23BAzyBkOFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > I like to be able to compare 2 excel files to see how different they are.Is > there such a ...

Corupt excel file ???
I have a excel file that seems to want to open, but then when it is done opening, There is no data or blank sheet. It goes though the possess and say's at the bottom ready opening but then there is nothing and the screen look's like I just opened Excel but no spread sheet. I then can go to file open another sheet and it works. (Not the one I wont) any body help. of coarse we don�t have a backup??? Email: bhogan@emediaofli.com --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ First, check to see if the file is actually loaded. Click on Window and see if it appears at the bottom o...

Conditional Formatting for a certain month
Having a bit of an issue at the moment, ive got the Cell for instance A1 Which contains 04-Jan-06 Basically Im after some conditional formatting to say if the month is January, then make the cell blue. Which will then lead to me making the other cells different colours depending on their month, but again, it has to be in this format (DD-MM-YY) Thanks for any help, muchly apreciated Assuming a properly formatted date, formula is =if(month(a1)=1) -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "Advo" <max_mischief@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:1158151582....

File Handle not being released with FileInfo.LastWriteTime
From an ASPX page I am trying to access the System.IO.FileInfo.LastWriteTime property of a file on the web site. The problem I have is that image file types; e/g/ gif, bmp etc; are not being released from the FileInfo object. If I access a page that reads the LastWriteTime of an image file; I cannot then update the file on the web server, until the app pool recycles. The same is not true for the text files; e.g. css, js; the FileInfo object is releasing these files. I have tried the garbage collector against the FileInfo object instance; but this did not work. Using t...

Unable to open .xls file
Hello- I have Windows XP Home edition on my computer and I received an email with some info that is an .xls extensoin. I have Windows Worksheet and wanted to know how, if I could, look at this file? I also receive info with >pps (powerpoint) and am unable to open these files also. ANy suggestions? Thanx, -- Michie You may not have MSOffice. It's not part of Windows. It's a separate suite of applications. But MS does make a viewer for excel: http://office.microsoft.com/downloads/2000/xlviewer.aspx and one for powerpoint: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Fa...

Import Excel Data from another workbook or file
Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different workbooks? E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files into one. tamato43 wrote: || Is there a way to import or export Excel Data between 2 different || workbooks? || || E.G. Import from "File A" 'Sheet1' Column A, Row2 to "File B" || 'Sheet1' Column A, Row 2. || || What I'd like to do ultimately is import data from 5 excel files || in...

MnyBank : Ofc Ofx file conversion and Money import
Version 1.5.9 : bugs correction on Qif files Money 2005 do not accept any more Ofc files and the Ofx files delivered by my bank where invalid. So I write this program, it can be use to : - convert QIF, OFC files to OFX V1 (Money 2000->Money 2004) or OFX V2 (Money 2005, XML files) - convert OFX V2 files to OFXV1 - check transactions in files before send them in Money - archive bank transaction in a database (MS Acces format) This program is a freeware. It's a dotnet program, you have to install : 1- Framework .Net 1.1 2- MS Jet 4.0 3- MDAC 2.7 or greater 4- MnyBank GUI is in englis...

OL 2000 .pst file moving to new computer
I am trying to export a OL 2000 .pst file running under Windows XP with SP 1. I want to export or save the file so I can open it up on my other computer using Outlook 2000 under Windows 98. When opening the outlook.pst file on the computer with Windows 98 I received the following message - "File access is denied; You do not have the permission required to access the file C:\WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook outlook.pst." I had exported that outlook.pst file to a CD and then copied it into WINDOWS\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook ...

formatting of txt file
Hi, Can anybody can help me in in formatting the below data for me The below data is coming in a txt file and i need the data in a excel file However when i put in excel i am not getting any structured form I need the Reference mentioned against the numeric value in the separate column as heading and the data below should come below the heading. I have tried, but i have to a lot of manual edit after formatting. 1.Emplyoee name bsdcbasdb hbvabfvas 2.Date 12-12-09 3.Address Dettails 12/2 main street City - bvauisdbc Pin code- 1100154 4. Department snbvsivnsvn oihbvis...

File Menu button is now an icon
I succeeded in changing File Menu to the Excel Icon and have no idea how I did it or how to get it back. The result is that a left click on that icon will bring up the Restore Menu and a right click will bring up a seriously abbreviated File menu. Two commands I use quite a bit are Set Print Area and Clear Print Area and neither are present on this abbreviated menu. Help! It sounds like you're still using xl2003 or below (not xl2007 with the new ribbon interface). If that's true... I'd try this first. Rightclick on an empty spot on any of the toolbars. Cho...

Script to count duplicate lines in a text file
We have a requirement to count the number of duplicate entries in a text file and then list the line and the number of duplicates. For example, we have a file call test.txt that has the following entries: A1 A1 B1 B2 B2 B2 B2 This would return the following: A1,2 B1,1 B2,4 Any assistance would be greatly appreciated Gadgetman schrieb: > We have a requirement to count the number of duplicate entries in a text file > and then list the line and the number of duplicates. For example, we have a > file call test.txt that has the following entries: > A1 > A1 ...

Executing change event with out tabbing off from a filed (DEX or VBA)
Hi, Scenario : A field in a GP form, I have my cursor in that field. When I enter data in to it, I need to split that string and insert the splitted string in to two text boxes (I will not be doing tab off from the field). EG: String which will be entered : 111112 I need to split the string into two strings string1 : 11111 string2 : 2 As soon as data entry is done the splitting should happen (to string1 and string2). And string2 , ie 2 should be inserted in to a field say quantity. If I enter data and do tab off from the field it is working fine. The requirement is ,as soon as data is ente...

conditional formating #4
I have an annual report spreadsheet comprised of 15 rows (1 - 15) and 5 columns (A - E). In columns "B" and "D" I add numbers from the current year, leaving future year cells blank. I highlight in yellow the blank future cells in columns "B" and "D" by a conditional format "formula is = ISBLANK(B9)". I leave past year cells in "B" and "D" with numbers but no highlight colors. I wish to highlight in green the current year numbers in columns "B" and "D", which will always be a cell above the firs...

Open Spreadsheet--Formatting Changed to Date??
I opened my spreadsheet and some, but not all of the columns on every sheet in the workbook has changed to a date format. I opened other spreadsheets and there was no change. Can anyone explain this. It's a real pain to deal with. ...

Rich Text control formatted as bold??
I have a control field on my form that is setup as textformat = rich text. In the memo field on the form I need specific parts of the text to show up as bold. Upon form load I am populating the field with string data such as: Me.MyTextBox = "This is a test string generation." I need to set bold only one or two words of this string. The way I understood it was that if I was using Rich Text format it would convert the formatting to HTML style. But I don't see and havent found examples HTML formatting like [b] [/b] working in VBA. What is the correct way I can do t...

Delete jpg file based on Access field contents
Hello, What would be the best way to have access delete a bunch of jpg's? I have two tables in mdb format, the main table has 36000 records. When I am done with a record, I move it to a Deleted Record table (using a query and a macro). There are about 1300 of the deleted records that have an associated jpg file. The file size is around 100k, so I have around 130 meg of files cluttering up my laptop. I will never look at the jpg's again. I know it's not a lot of space, but why not have some code get rid of them? So, should I use a button on a regularly accessed Fo...

Parent/Child window message processing
I have a problem with VC++ window message routing(not command message routing) I have a ControlBar(pParent) window and inside this window, I create a child window(pChild devied from cview). This pChild window is constrained to pParent's client rect. The problem is that all the mouse messages are sent to the parent window instead of the child window. I've traced it to AfxWndProc(), if I click on the child window, a mouse message targeting the parent window is generated(the target window handle is the parent window). Maybe this is related to windows not mfc. The child could re...

File Transfer using vb.net code
Hi, I would like to transfer/move a file from one folder to other folder in shareopint site. That needs to be done using vb.net. Could you please prove the code for that? Regards, Balu Submitted via EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .NET Tips and Tricks # 16 http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/960bc693-889f-46c1-9b0e-1b0a67d13ea5/dr-dotnetskys-cool-net.aspx So your asking someone on this list to do your work for you? For free? Sounds like you might want to get some consulting time. -- Daniel A. Galant Imagine what w...

COUNTIF using formatting?
Here is a basic example of what I'm trying to do: I have a list of football teams. Each week, I format the football teams that won with red font. Is there a way to find a count of those teams formatting in red and display that number in my worksheet? I know an alternate way around this would be to have a win/loss column and do a COUNTIF based on the values there. But I'm wondering if there's a way to do it based on the formatting instead of the values. Nicolle K. wrote: > Here is a basic example of what I'm trying to do: > > I have a list of football team...

how to get Outlook Express to continue after failing to read a newsgroup message
I use outlook express as a newsreader. Sometimes I want to get the entire server holdings of a particular newsgroup. Trouble is, OE seems to snag when it was able to read a message header but for some reason it can't retrieve the body. It snags with Outlook Express could not download the requested message. It is likely that the message was removed or expired from the server. Subject 'Simple security??', Account: 'news.nevrona.com', Server: 'news.nevrona.com', Protocol: NNTP, Port: 119, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800C006F and the only op...

Stop Excel Changing Format
In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the cell to use the General format. Any idea how I get Excel to show the number as I want? Format as dd/mm -- David Biddulph "Chris762" <Chris762@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D028B2CD-5096-4EB5-8FFF-249AD6839774@microsoft.com... > In Excel I want to just show a date as dd/mm in a cell. Every time I enter > this Excel shows the number in dd/mm/yy format, even when I change the > cell > to...

Bookmark Not Valid
hello everyone I have tried everything, but cannot connect Bookmark not valid and to top it off My Administrator Account will not let me logon Interactively I run SBS Premium with all users on Xp pro and Outlook 2k3 I have not had a problem up until this point then it started with teh sync issues default offline address book Matthew - Have you rebooted the SBS server (which should also be your one-and-only Global Catalog)? -- Evan Dodds Microsoft Exchange Support ****** Disclaimer ****** This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Note: Please ...

Problems with Money 2005 file in two different computers
I upgraded to Money 2005 from 2004 (have been doing this since Money 97 without a problem), installed Money 2005 on my notebook, updated it to be compatible with the one on my desktop... BUT now when I try to open my money file on the notebook I get this message: "The place you are trying to reach only functions in the Business version of Money, and can't be used in the version you are using now. If you want to use this place you will have to upgrade to Microsoft Money Small Business." What place???? I don't want to go any place!!! All I want to do is use my money file (it ...