File format is not valid #2

Can anyone help me with this.  I tried to open an existing file (which a
number of people have access to) and it has come up with this error.
Can it be fixed?
Thanks heaps.
0
FB579 (10)

Is it an xls file?

"FB" wrote:

> Can anyone help me with this.  I tried to open an existing file (which a
> number of people have access to) and it has come up with this error.
> Can it be fixed?
> Thanks heaps.
Yes.  And it worked just fine a week ago prior to someone doing something to
the file.

"exceluserforeman" wrote:

> Is it an xls file?
>
> "FB" wrote:
>
> > Can anyone help me with this.  I tried to open an existing file (which a
> > number of people have access to) and it has come up with this error.
> > Can it be fixed?
> > Thanks heaps.
0
FB579 (10)
11/22/2005 2:05:02 AM
One of the bad things about Office is that MSWord can open .xls files.  And if
the file is saved as a Word Document (even with a .xls extension), then that
file can no longer be opened by excel.

Try this against a copy--no sense taking a chance that you'll do more damage.

Start up MSWord
File|open that copy of your .xls file.

If it opens there, then there's a pretty good chance that some user saved it as
an MSWord file.  You may be able to save a bit of it by just copying and pasting
into a new workbook in Excel.  But you'll probably have lots of work to do to
recreate it (or maybe just restore from a backup???).

=====
If that's not it....

Sometimes, you can open files in a later version of excel.  (Maybe xl2002,
xl2003???)

Lots of people have said that they could save a great deal of the data/code
using OpenOffice.org.

http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD

There are commercial recovery services.  I've never used it, but you might want
to check into:
http://www.officerecovery.com

--

Dave Peterson
0

Thanks once again.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

> One of the bad things about Office is that MSWord can open .xls files.  And if
> the file is saved as a Word Document (even with a .xls extension), then that
> file can no longer be opened by excel.
>
> Try this against a copy--no sense taking a chance that you'll do more damage.
>
> Start up MSWord
> File|open that copy of your .xls file.
>
> If it opens there, then there's a pretty good chance that some user saved it as
> an MSWord file.  You may be able to save a bit of it by just copying and pasting
> into a new workbook in Excel.  But you'll probably have lots of work to do to
> recreate it (or maybe just restore from a backup???).
>
> =====
> If that's not it....
>
> Sometimes, you can open files in a later version of excel.  (Maybe xl2002,
> xl2003???)
>
> Lots of people have said that they could save a great deal of the data/code
> using OpenOffice.org.
>
> http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD
>
> There are commercial recovery services.  I've never used it, but you might want
> to check into:
> http://www.officerecovery.com
>
> FB wrote:
> >
> > Can anyone help me with this.  I tried to open an existing file (which a
> > number of people have access to) and it has come up with this error.
> > Can it be fixed?
> > Thanks heaps.
>
> --
>
> Dave Peterson

0
FB579 (10)
11/22/2005 5:22:01 AM
You may want to start making backups of important files.  You never know when
things will be gone forever.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Where can I download 'USBSTOR.SYS' file
I bought a new IPod and as I am giong through the New Hardware Wizard, I receive the error message...."The file 'USBSTOR.SYS' on Windows XP Profesional Service Pack 2 CD is needed. Type the path where the file is located and then click OK." I don't where I can find this file. Can I download it from Microsoft's web site? On 18-01-10 02:48, Kim M Wagie wrote: > I bought a new IPod and as I am giong through the New Hardware Wizard, I > receive the error message...."The file 'USBSTOR.SYS' on Windows XP > Profesional Service Pack 2 CD is need...

Maximum file sizes

conditional formatting sort

find action on log file

More Columns #2

File size #11

Linking files 2 ways

How to repair a .dll file in IE8

Using Relative path for XML data file?

Goal Seek #2

Offline Synchronization Problem #2

CSV Files and VLOOKUP error

Contacts in Exchange #2

'top' is not a valid value for the 'vertical-align' property.
Well, it is, actually, and the resulting .chm file works properly in HTML Help. But it's a bit tedious getting that wrong useless error message from VS2002 on every build. (Well, not every build, it only does it sometimes actually.) Any idea how I can persuade it to stop telling me this? -- Tim Ward Brett Ward Limited - www.brettward.co.uk ...

number format with leading 0

Increment A2 from A1 and A2 Sum #2

Trouble in Save existing file
Hi there, I am using GetSaveFileName(), OnSaveDocument() to save configuration file of my application. Trouble is when I open existing file, edit, and try to save it as the same name, it compains like "Access to file was denied" and I can't save it. But it can be saved as a new name by SaveAs menu. One other thing is this trouble is happening only in Window2000 PCs. It just works well in Window 98. The application is developed in Windows 2000 and I am using Flags like OFN_PATHMUSTEXIST | OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST; Please help. Bob NZ >Hi there, I am using GetSaveFileName(), OnSaveD...

Any way to open an excel file directly to a worksheet?
I am building an application with an icon that launches an excel file when clicked. Is there any way I can open the file directly to a specified worksheet? The names of the worksheet are fixed and so is the file, so I am guessing adding some parameter after the filename should do the trick. Any help will be appreciated. Regards Sid -- skiddyrow ------------------------------------------------------------------------ skiddyrow's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=23965 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=386335 Hey...

inbox problems #2
My inbox says I have 3 new messages. I don't.. Its lying. So how do I correct this.. Its not a major problem but distracting. Computers are supposed to be always right.... As a sidelight to this. I deleted the Unread messages, thingy in the favorite folder place. I thought I would bring that back and see if there were some messages that were bad. I read the help file and it says to just click on any file you want to add to the favorite folder. But its gone.. totally and completely there is no Unread Message line to click on.. What's a person to do? See my reply to your late...