file cloning

I was wondering. How come it is possible to clone a file (using right
click copy/paste file), but not possible to do this for other documents
(apps and clip-art etc)?. Could it be possible to have an add-in in
excel to prevent people from copying documents on their desktop??

--
shnim1

You can copy files that way (rightclick|copy, rightclick|paste).

But most windows applications are no longer just simple .exe files (like back in
the old DOS days).

They usually have tons of other stuff that gets installed with them--and that
stuff gets scattered all over your harddrive (windows folder, windows\system,
windows\system32 and the windows registry, too).

There's just no good way for human being to determine what needs to be copied.
There are programs that do the work for you, though.  (I've never used them.)

But clipart files should be able to be copied just like any other file.

And you could try your best to create an excel addin that stop people from
saving things to their desktop, but it wouldn't stop them from using windows
explorer to copy files.

In fact, if the user turned off the addin, then it would fail--even in excel.

--

Dave Peterson
0

Saving files #2
I have a user that when he tries to save a file to his own network folder he gets the following Microsoft Excel message with a yellow triangle warning (this is only happening on 1 file at this time that he created) The file "filename.xls" may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want to do? Save a copy Overwrite changes Thank You! ...

How do I move .pst file?
My .pst file is very large, and I want to move it to another drive. It is at C:\Documents and Settings\My Name\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\outlook.pst [not wrapped of course]. I could move it "manually" but I don't want to confuse Outlook, and I can't find any way to tell Outlook the new location. Microsoft Outlook 2000 SR-1 Internet-only profile. Windows 2000 Version 5.0 build 2195 Service Pack 4. Thanks! On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 13:32:42 -0800, "Robert Cheshire" <abuse@spamme.not> wrote: >My .pst file is very large, and I want ...

Listing all the files on a disk
I apologize for asking a simple question, but I hope that somebody can help. I am looking for a sample .vbs script to list the full name (including path) of all the files in a given disk, if possible with owner and size. Before building it from scratch, is there a sample I can start from? Regards Marius I would take a look on this forum: 'visual basic, vb, vbscript,Free source code for the taking. Over five million lines of programs.' (http://www.planet-source-code.com/vb/default.asp?lngWId=1) Tree Walk or recursive directly search/list programs are usually common...

Linking Charts to publisher file saved as web page
Good Day I hope someone can help me with this question - I am using publisher 2007 to create a newsletter ( Saved as web page ) on our local intarnet. I am now trying to add / link charts and excel tables to the newsletter. I am only able to paste as picture and have them dynamically update with daily sales for example. Can anyone help me with this . . . I am trying to find a way to insert excel charts and tables into my publisher 2007 webpage and have them automatically update when the excel files update - I do not want to copy and paste and re-publish everyday ...

Can't open an embedded .zip file
I have one computer in my area that has problems opening our PowerPOint presentations. It will open the presentation, but when we try to open the ..zip file that is embedded in the last slide, PowerPoint locks up and crashes. This happens with all files we try on this computer, and every other computer can open these files and the embedded .zip just fine. Anybody have any idea what could be causing this? (MS Office 2007, Windows XP) Thanks! =?Utf-8?B?Q3J5cHRvY2hpY2s=?= <Cryptochick@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:23F57A6E-F9E0-45B6-AED1-B8F0B27DBA7F@mic...

ICS File?
Hi, I want to generate a ICS file which contains data to create a task in my outlook 2003. Can somebody help me to find out more about those ICS files? What content they need? TIA Heidi It's fully documented in this RFC http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2445.txt Probably eassier would be to create an appointment and save it as *.ics and look what's inside with Notepad -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -What do the Outlook Icons Mean? -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Heidi Anselstetter" <smilingfr...

Outlook File Attachments.
I have Outlook 2003 installed and am running XP Pro. I am unable to send any file with an attahment. I get an error that says: Task 'mail.earthlink.net - Sending' reported error (0x8004210B) : 'The operation timed out waiting for a response from the sending (SMTP) server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'Tried Outlook Express. It does the same thing. My email works fine on my Notebook running Windows 2000 Pro and Outlook 2000. Can send any file with an attahment. I was on the phone y...

Multiple Mail Messages & File Attachments Displayed
I have Outlook 2003 SP2. Periodically emails will arrive twice. In the message template, my email address will be displayed many times in the To: field and any associated attachment(s) will be displayed multiple times. Any assistance is appreciated. ...

upload hebrew xp, 97 office files to mac
word for mac doesn't upload hebrew files created on the pc in word. Word for Mac does not support Hebrew. You should be able to move the document between platforms, but the Hebrew probably won't be readable in Word for Mac. If you want to see Hebrew & Arabic support in a future version of Word, be sure to send the feature request to Microsoft. In any Office application, go to Help -> Send Feedback. Otherwise, click on this direct link to enter Mac Product Feedback: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/feedback/suggestion.asp> On 2/24/04 5:47 PM, in article 015601c3fb30$a25...

how to import Thai font in Autocad file to Visio correctly?
Dear Sir, I've got a problem about importing AutoCad drawing to Visio. The text in Thai language can not read after importing to Visio. If anybody has an experience like this, please let me know how to solve this problem. Thank you very much for every help. Hoho What version is the AutoCad file and what version of Visio are you using? One thing you might try is setting you keyboard input language to Thai before starting the import. -- Mark Nelson Microsoft Corporation This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "hoho" <ho...

files employee expense
Checking "files employee expense" box in the Employee Card>PA Employee Options butto creates a vendor with the same employee ID. This vendor cannot be deleted withouth de-selecting the checkbox, but then you cannot enter Expense transactions. This is great for customers who install GP and Project Accounting at the same time. However, we have a customer who already had vendors set up in GP and then installed Project Accounting. Checking this checkbox is creating new vendors and not allowing us to delete them. We also don't want to go to the expense of purchasing Ven...

who can tell me where to define the constant marco in MFC files

Macro Help- combining "CS" files
Below is the macro I have to go to a certain file and combine all spreadsheets. I did not write this macro myself. I just received it and modified it to work for my situation. When this maco is run it gets to the first file and says I cannot change a read only file and says I must unprotect the worksheet. This sheet is not protected but I really only want to copy the info on it anyway. Is there a way to modify this macro to copy the information. I could save all of the "CS" files as new files but that would defeat the purpose of automating this job Any help is greatly a...

DTD file location on a website
When XML is transferred by XSLT it creates and error that “dtd” file mentioned in document type is not found in window\system32 directory. How can I make either the XML or my code properly point to a relative virtual directory within the website for the dtd. Application is ASP.VB.Net Line with error cchxml.DocumentContent = CaseGroupXMLStrt CaseGroupXMLStrt is read from database -- Mo Chuck wrote: > When XML is transferred by XSLT it creates and error that “dtd” file > mentioned in document type is not found in window\system32 directory. > How can I make either the XML or ...

What header file defines SHGetDataFromIDList
Hello, thanks for helping, Does anyone know what header file defines ShGetDataFromIDList? I tried including shlobj.h, which seems to have a definition for it, but that doesn't seem to resolve it. I tried :: in front of the reference to it but that didn't do it either. Anyone know how to make it work or what I'm doing wrong? Thank you, Ivan Ivan Starr wrote: >Hello, thanks for helping, > >Does anyone know what header file defines ShGetDataFromIDList? > >I tried including shlobj.h, which seems to have a definition for it, but >that doesn't seem to reso...

Excel Files Acting Weird
I just got upgraded to WinXP and Excel 2000 (SP-3). Now when I try to copy cells from a worksheet in one workbook to a worksheet in a second workbook, Excel is treating the copied cells as MS Excel Worksheet Objects, and formulas are not being copied. Also Excel files opened from email attachments are re-opening Excel so I can't tile two files. All of these problems only cropped up this week when I got the upgrades. Larry For the second part of your question, Tools, Options, on the View tab uncheck Windows in Taskbar. "Befuddled" wrote: > I just got upgraded to WinXP...

Help files...
Hi guys, Has anyone seen a good tutorials on making help files in VS2003? HTML is perfered. AliR. "AliR" <AliR@online.nospam> wrote in message news:44ef41a2$0$15172$a8266bb1@reader.corenews.com... > Hi guys, > > Has anyone seen a good tutorials on making help files in VS2003? HTML is > perfered. > Can you download a trial copy of RoboHelp or some other help tool? I use ForeHelp, but they went out of business several years ago. -- David Thanks David, I'll look into RoboHelp. Just to clarify I was looking for a tutorial on using the VStudio Help ...

Internet explorer keeps deleteing my cookies and temporary files
Every time I exit the browser it seems to be deleting all the information from when I was on ealier, and I haven't set it to delete my history until a week has passed. I need help finding out what the problem is since i can no longer stay logged in on my other sites and it id frustrating me. it also seems to be effecting my Xat.com data cause all of that information is gone as well. I really would like for someone to help me solve this since it is too much of a chore to have to re-sign in every time i close the browser. "Bulletxinn" <Bulletxinn@discussions.mic...

CODE: get current dir of MDB file
I will be posting a few short snippets of code. Many of you coders already know these, but they should benefit other people as well. Here is code to find the current directory of the MDB file you currently have open. This is useful for saving output files (like report PDFS, text files, etc) to the same dir as your MDB file. It returns the current directory with a trailing backslash. Function CurrentDBDir() As String Dim strDBPath As String Dim strDBFile As String strDBPath = CurrentDb.Name strDBFile = Dir(strDBPath) CurrentDBDir = Left(strDBPath, Len(strDBPath) - Len(strDBFile)) End...

create defined name using variable file name in reference
please help in create defined name EXAMPLe: create name : ACCPath ---- Referes to (='E:\Data Folder\[externa work book.xlsx]sheet1'!$K$8:$K$10000) this works I NEED to put (external work book.xlsx) in a cell and refere to it as variable in the referes to (='E:\Data Folder\[&U2&]sheet1'!$K$8:$K$10000) where U2 having the file name because it is changing meny times Activeworkbook.Names.Add Name:="ACCPath", RefersTo:= "=" & Activesheet.Range("U2").Value2 --- HTH Bob Phillips "hala" <hala@discussions.mi...

Can't install Excell 2007
I successfully installed Excel 2007 on my desktop computer, but am unable to install it on my laptop. I get an error message stating that set-up can not find the following file: office-en-us/officeMUIset.xml I tried locating the file in all the directories on the CD, but can't find it. Can anyone help? ...

Disable Copy & Paste files but not text for Windows Server 2008 R2
I have a windows server 2008 r2 and am running remote desktop services. I want to disable cut/paste of files via clipboard/clipbook, while at the same time enabling cut/paste of text via clipboard/clipbook. This is working in earlier version of Windows. Any suggestion is much appreciated. -- Hannkwang ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Hannkwang's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/199146.htm View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1319418.htm http://forums.techarena.in ...

Opening XLS file directly and getting params
All, I am working on a .NET application sued to "index" our many (+300) Excel 2000 reports. The users log in and get a list of reports that they are allowed to run. When they click on the "link", the app starts the appropriate spreadsheet. We are current doing this by running: Excel.exe "FILENAME" /e/PARAMETERS As you can see above, we are sending params (in this case, a connect string) into the spreadsheet (not my design, I inherited it...) and using some API calls that were found here to read the command line. This is working correctly, However, one of our...

Publisher File as a Desktop
Is it possible to use a Publisher file, say a calendar, as a desktop for a PC? If so, how? Thanks. Create the calendar and save it as a .jpg. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "CalsLib" <CalsLib@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:CCE1BC5D-1A61-482B-B468-6234D400CBF1@microsoft.com... > Is it possible to use a Publisher file, say a calendar, as a desktop for a > PC? If so, how? > > Thanks. CalsLib wrote: > Is it possible to use a Publisher file, say a calendar, as a desktop for a > PC? If so, how? > > Thanks. I do...

Excel 2003: Reparing currupted excel files
Good day Anybody is aware of a good tool to repare excel files other than "Open & Repair" that comes with excel? Lots of people have praised OpenOffice.org for saving their data and code. http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD There are commercial recovery services. I've never used it, but you might want to check into: http://www.officerecovery.com And sometimes newer versions of excel can open files that older versions can't. (And sometimes just different versions may work, too!) Omdah wrote: > > Good day > Anybody is aware of a good t...