Extracting the month that a date refers to in another cell

In cell  A1 I have the date 3/15/2003 (no formatting).
In cell B1 I have the formula =year(A1). The year shows correctly as 2003.
In cell C1 I have the formula =text(weekday(A1),"ddd"). The text shows as
"Sat" which is correct.
In cell D1 I have the formula =month(A1) which correctly shows '3'. I
attempted to use =text(month(A1),"mmm") in cell D1, but it shows as "Jan".
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?

TIA, Alan

0
here6701 (24)

=TEXT(A1,"mmm") for 3-letter month name and
=TEXT(A1,"ddd") for 3-letter day name.

where A1 houses a true date.

"SVMIS" <here@now.com> wrote in message
> In cell  A1 I have the date 3/15/2003 (no formatting).
> In cell B1 I have the formula =year(A1). The year shows correctly as 2003.
> In cell C1 I have the formula =text(weekday(A1),"ddd"). The text shows as
> "Sat" which is correct.
> In cell D1 I have the formula =month(A1) which correctly shows '3'. I
> attempted to use =text(month(A1),"mmm") in cell D1, but it shows as "Jan".
> Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> TIA, Alan

0
akyurek (248)
11/13/2003 10:17:10 PM
Use this =TEXT(A1,"mmm")

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
(Win XP Pro SP-1  XL2002 SP-2)

"SVMIS" <here@now.com> wrote in message news:W8Tsb.12853$IK2.956471@news20.bellglobal.com...
> In cell  A1 I have the date 3/15/2003 (no formatting).
> In cell B1 I have the formula =year(A1). The year shows correctly as 2003.
> In cell C1 I have the formula =text(weekday(A1),"ddd"). The text shows as
> "Sat" which is correct.
> In cell D1 I have the formula =month(A1) which correctly shows '3'. I
> attempted to use =text(month(A1),"mmm") in cell D1, but it shows as "Jan".
> Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
>
> TIA, Alan

0
rondebruin (3790)

Month problem

Oldest date for Duplicate Cust. #

Joining text with a formula in cell #4

Dates #9

Single click selects multiple cells

Qrp Date functions

Referencing cells across sheets

How to unlock locked cells by MACRO?!

date tracking

Short time vs short date

Date Calculation

date modified

Date function quit working

Date format 04-11-06

WLM transfer to another computer
Hi, I finally moved from Windows 7 RTM to Win7 Pro 64. I did it by installing the new OS on a brand new hard drive, then installed my old hard drive in a 2.5" external enclosure. I've been successful in moving most of my files and settings over, but WLM is the exception. Can someone help answer these questions for me: 1. Where are the actual mail files stored? 2. Where is the account login info stored? 3. In Outlook and OE installing on a new computer, even after moving files, prompted for a full redownload off of the POP server. Anyway to avoid this? Is ther...

MS Money '04 Reference Books
Is anyone aware of any good MS Money '04 reference books? I've checked the MS Press website, but they seem to have one for every software program other than Money. Any suggestions? Thanks much, Too many books ended up getting pulped--I'm not sure there are any for Money anymore. You might check on http://www.amazon.com. "Mike" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:e72001c3f056$477b1c10$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Is anyone aware of any good MS Money '04 reference > books? I've checked the MS Press website, but they seem > to...