Extracting macros from a worksheet #3

Gord,

Thanks for the info.  I have Excel setup to ask me about enabling and
disabling macros when opening a worksheet.  I've tried both with no luck.  I
get the same error when attempting to open this file.

The workbook that I'm opening has always worked before.  That workbook and
macros were designed and written by me and they have been working for more
that 5 months now.  There are only two worksheets in the workbook and I've
never had any reason to group them together, however, when the workbook
opens with the error, I can see that the two sheets are, in fact, selected.
In addition, a third sheet is now showing, which is labeled "Module1".
Since I can't navigate through the workbook because of the error, I do not
know what is on this sheet.

It is apparent that the workbook is at least opening partially.  If I could
just find a way to get the macro text out without having to fully open the
file, then I'd be ok.

I don't recall having any kind of Auto_Open macro.  However, I have tried
disabling macros upon opening the file.  I've tried the Shift key while
opening, but it still prompts me about the macros to which I choose to
disable.  I attempted the command with the " /safe", but that results in a
file not found.   I'm using Excel 2000 on a Win2000 computer.  I've also
tried a Windows Me computer.  The error remains.

Thank you for any additional help you can offer.
Paul

"Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
news:2fgnsv81hl2jvj7nfvehgokv8e40mencro@4ax.com...
> Paul
>
> The "Group" you see indicates that two or more worksheets are grouped
together
> so changes made on one sheet will be reflected on all.
>
> To "Ungroup" sheets right-click on a sheet Tab and "Ungroup sheets".
>
> You may have an Auto_Open macro trying to do something that is considered
> illegal on grouped sheets.
>
> Have you tried opening the workbook whilst holding down the SHIFT key to
> prevent macros running?
>
> Or Start>Run "excel.exe /safe"(no quotes) to open with nothing loaded.
>
> Gord Dibben   XL2002
>
> On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:09:29 -0500, "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know if there is a way to extract macros from an excel
worksheet
> >that cannot be opened due to a memory reference error?  The exact error
is
> >as follows.
> >
> >____________________________________
> >The instruction at "0x3005c673" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The
> >memory could not be "written".
> >
> >Click on OK to terminate the program
> >Click on CANCEL to debug the program
> >----------------------------------------------
> >
> >Even though I get this error message, I can still see the worksheet
behind
> >the error, but the error takes priority and then closes Excel.  This
error
> >occurs on multiple computers using just the one specific Excel file.  So
I'm
> >trying to find a way to extact the macro data, if possible.
> >
> >Another strange thing I've noticed on the worksheet behind the error, is
> >that it has (Group) next to the file name on the title-bar at the top.
Just
> >like if it was opened as a read-only file, it would say (Read-only) next
to
> >the name.  I never had "Group" next to the title when it was working
> >properly.  What does the "Group" indicate?
> >
> >Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.
> >Paul,
> >


0
pclive (112)
12/2/2003 1:20:28 AM
excel.misc 78881 articles. 5 followers. Follow

2 Replies
480 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 13

Try opening excel in safe mode once more.  (I think you mistyped something.)

Start|Run|
excel /safe

And if that still fails, a few people have reported success using OpenOffice to
open their workbooks and recover both the worksheet stuff and macro stuff.

(http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)

And if you're not using xl2002, you may want to try that.  It also has a better
reputation opening files that earlier versions couldn't.  (I wonder if xl2003
does a better job than xl2002???)

PCLIVE wrote:
> 
> Gord,
> 
> Thanks for the info.  I have Excel setup to ask me about enabling and
> disabling macros when opening a worksheet.  I've tried both with no luck.  I
> get the same error when attempting to open this file.
> 
> The workbook that I'm opening has always worked before.  That workbook and
> macros were designed and written by me and they have been working for more
> that 5 months now.  There are only two worksheets in the workbook and I've
> never had any reason to group them together, however, when the workbook
> opens with the error, I can see that the two sheets are, in fact, selected.
> In addition, a third sheet is now showing, which is labeled "Module1".
> Since I can't navigate through the workbook because of the error, I do not
> know what is on this sheet.
> 
> It is apparent that the workbook is at least opening partially.  If I could
> just find a way to get the macro text out without having to fully open the
> file, then I'd be ok.
> 
> I don't recall having any kind of Auto_Open macro.  However, I have tried
> disabling macros upon opening the file.  I've tried the Shift key while
> opening, but it still prompts me about the macros to which I choose to
> disable.  I attempted the command with the " /safe", but that results in a
> file not found.   I'm using Excel 2000 on a Win2000 computer.  I've also
> tried a Windows Me computer.  The error remains.
> 
> Thank you for any additional help you can offer.
> Paul
> 
> "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
> news:2fgnsv81hl2jvj7nfvehgokv8e40mencro@4ax.com...
> > Paul
> >
> > The "Group" you see indicates that two or more worksheets are grouped
> together
> > so changes made on one sheet will be reflected on all.
> >
> > To "Ungroup" sheets right-click on a sheet Tab and "Ungroup sheets".
> >
> > You may have an Auto_Open macro trying to do something that is considered
> > illegal on grouped sheets.
> >
> > Have you tried opening the workbook whilst holding down the SHIFT key to
> > prevent macros running?
> >
> > Or Start>Run "excel.exe /safe"(no quotes) to open with nothing loaded.
> >
> > Gord Dibben   XL2002
> >
> > On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:09:29 -0500, "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net> wrote:
> >
> > >Does anyone know if there is a way to extract macros from an excel
> worksheet
> > >that cannot be opened due to a memory reference error?  The exact error
> is
> > >as follows.
> > >
> > >____________________________________
> > >The instruction at "0x3005c673" referenced memory at "0x00000018". The
> > >memory could not be "written".
> > >
> > >Click on OK to terminate the program
> > >Click on CANCEL to debug the program
> > >----------------------------------------------
> > >
> > >Even though I get this error message, I can still see the worksheet
> behind
> > >the error, but the error takes priority and then closes Excel.  This
> error
> > >occurs on multiple computers using just the one specific Excel file.  So
> I'm
> > >trying to find a way to extact the macro data, if possible.
> > >
> > >Another strange thing I've noticed on the worksheet behind the error, is
> > >that it has (Group) next to the file name on the title-bar at the top.
> Just
> > >like if it was opened as a read-only file, it would say (Read-only) next
> to
> > >the name.  I never had "Group" next to the title when it was working
> > >properly.  What does the "Group" indicate?
> > >
> > >Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.
> > >Paul,
> > >

-- 

Dave Peterson
ec35720@msn.com
0
ec35720 (10082)
12/2/2003 1:50:31 AM
Thanks Dave,

I did finally get Excel open in safe mode.  However, as you could probably
guess, the error continued therefore closing Excel without giving me the
chance to get any of the macro data out.  HOWEVER,  the OpenOffice program
worked great.  That was a life-saver.  Even though the worksheets looked
like crap as if two worksheets had been combined into one with overlapping
text and combo boxes, etc., I was able to copy out the macro data and rework
it into a new spreadsheet.  That program saved me a lot of work.

Give OpenOffice another vote of confidence.

Thanks,
Paul


"Dave Peterson" <ec35720@msn.com> wrote in message
news:3FCBEFE7.E50972B0@msn.com...
> Try opening excel in safe mode once more.  (I think you mistyped
something.)
>
> Start|Run|
> excel /safe
>
> And if that still fails, a few people have reported success using
OpenOffice to
> open their workbooks and recover both the worksheet stuff and macro stuff.
>
> (http://www.openoffice.org, a 60-65 meg download or a CD)
>
> And if you're not using xl2002, you may want to try that.  It also has a
better
> reputation opening files that earlier versions couldn't.  (I wonder if
xl2003
> does a better job than xl2002???)
>
> PCLIVE wrote:
> >
> > Gord,
> >
> > Thanks for the info.  I have Excel setup to ask me about enabling and
> > disabling macros when opening a worksheet.  I've tried both with no
luck.  I
> > get the same error when attempting to open this file.
> >
> > The workbook that I'm opening has always worked before.  That workbook
and
> > macros were designed and written by me and they have been working for
more
> > that 5 months now.  There are only two worksheets in the workbook and
I've
> > never had any reason to group them together, however, when the workbook
> > opens with the error, I can see that the two sheets are, in fact,
selected.
> > In addition, a third sheet is now showing, which is labeled "Module1".
> > Since I can't navigate through the workbook because of the error, I do n
ot
> > know what is on this sheet.
> >
> > It is apparent that the workbook is at least opening partially.  If I
could
> > just find a way to get the macro text out without having to fully open
the
> > file, then I'd be ok.
> >
> > I don't recall having any kind of Auto_Open macro.  However, I have
tried
> > disabling macros upon opening the file.  I've tried the Shift key while
> > opening, but it still prompts me about the macros to which I choose to
> > disable.  I attempted the command with the " /safe", but that results in
a
> > file not found.   I'm using Excel 2000 on a Win2000 computer.  I've also
> > tried a Windows Me computer.  The error remains.
> >
> > Thank you for any additional help you can offer.
> > Paul
> >
> > "Gord Dibben" <gorddibbATshawDOTca> wrote in message
> > news:2fgnsv81hl2jvj7nfvehgokv8e40mencro@4ax.com...
> > > Paul
> > >
> > > The "Group" you see indicates that two or more worksheets are grouped
> > together
> > > so changes made on one sheet will be reflected on all.
> > >
> > > To "Ungroup" sheets right-click on a sheet Tab and "Ungroup sheets".
> > >
> > > You may have an Auto_Open macro trying to do something that is
considered
> > > illegal on grouped sheets.
> > >
> > > Have you tried opening the workbook whilst holding down the SHIFT key
to
> > > prevent macros running?
> > >
> > > Or Start>Run "excel.exe /safe"(no quotes) to open with nothing loaded.
> > >
> > > Gord Dibben   XL2002
> > >
> > > On Mon, 1 Dec 2003 17:09:29 -0500, "PCLIVE" <pclive@livenet.net>
wrote:
> > >
> > > >Does anyone know if there is a way to extract macros from an excel
> > worksheet
> > > >that cannot be opened due to a memory reference error?  The exact
error
> > is
> > > >as follows.
> > > >
> > > >____________________________________
> > > >The instruction at "0x3005c673" referenced memory at "0x00000018".
The
> > > >memory could not be "written".
> > > >
> > > >Click on OK to terminate the program
> > > >Click on CANCEL to debug the program
> > > >----------------------------------------------
> > > >
> > > >Even though I get this error message, I can still see the worksheet
> > behind
> > > >the error, but the error takes priority and then closes Excel.  This
> > error
> > > >occurs on multiple computers using just the one specific Excel file.
So
> > I'm
> > > >trying to find a way to extact the macro data, if possible.
> > > >
> > > >Another strange thing I've noticed on the worksheet behind the error,
is
> > > >that it has (Group) next to the file name on the title-bar at the
top.
> > Just
> > > >like if it was opened as a read-only file, it would say (Read-only)
next
> > to
> > > >the name.  I never had "Group" next to the title when it was working
> > > >properly.  What does the "Group" indicate?
> > > >
> > > >Thanks in advanced for any help you can provide.
> > > >Paul,
> > > >
>
> -- 
>
> Dave Peterson
> ec35720@msn.com


0
pclive (112)
12/2/2003 3:11:45 AM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

#REF #3
Hi, I'm doing a projection spreadsheet. The new months in diff sheets will be added as and when the actual month passes, ie, up to now i have sheets up to Aug. But in the MAIN sheet, I'm supposed to have months for the whole year up to Dec. Since Sep to Dec don't have equivalent sheets yet, the cells show #Ref since my formula is =Oct!A1. I want to tell the cell to get the amount from "Oct" sheet if there's such a sheet and if not, get the amount from "Sep" sheet. I tried this "=if(Oct!A1="#REF", Sep!A1,Oct!A1)" but it doesn'...

The Sum from 1 worksheet cell to another worksheet cell
the sum from one cell on sheet1 from another cell on sheet2,how do you do the formula qwerty: To sum the value on Sheet1, cell A10 with the cell value Sheet2, cell B20, enter =Sheet1!A10 + Sheet2!B20 (or you can enter '=' sign and click on A10, then enter the plus sign and click on B20) jeff >-----Original Message----- >the sum from one cell on sheet1 from another cell on sheet2,how do you do the formula >. > ...

Compare entries in 2 worksheets and list what does not match
Good Day All; I have 2 Excell works sheets with approx 14000 rows each. What I would like to do is compare both lists and get a 3rd list that shows what entries do not match. Is there a simple way to do ythis in Excel Thanks All Chomp Assuming A1 should equal A1 in the other sheet... =IF(Sheet1!A1=Sheet2!A1,"",Sheet!A1&" does not match "&Sheet2!A1) Auto-Filter for non-blanks. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "The Chomp" wrote: > Good Day All; > > I have 2 ...

Creating a print-macro that'll only print page 1?
Hi, I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple sheets. I want to add a button that runs a macro, which only prints page 1 on the first sheet (called Scorekort). The "Scorekort" sheet contains 13 pages in total, but I only want to print the first page. Any ideas for this macro? Anders hi, Sub Macro1() Sheets("Scorekort").PrintOut From:=1, To:=1, Copies:=1, Preview:=True, Collate:=True End Sub if you don't want a print preview, Preview:=False -- isabelle Le 2011-05-21 04:16, Anders M a �crit : > Hi, > > I have a spreadsheet that contains multiple ...

extract all attachments
Hi I am looking for a freeware soltuion to extracting all attachements from outlook2003 and replacing with a link to the file. WoodyUK See http://www.slipstick.com/addins/housekeeping.htm and the code samples at: http://www.outlookcode.com/codedetail.aspx?id=70 http://www.slovaktech.com/code_samples.htm#StripAttachments -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "woodyuk" <woodyuk@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1108897893.566...

get rid of macro option at startup
I created and then deleted a macro in an Excel file. Why do I still get the warning box (i.e. the one asking if I want to enable or disable macros) when I open the file? Is there a way to get rid of this since I no longer have macros in this file? Thanks. Brad You need to delete the empty module.! Bill K "Brad Rench" <brench@comcast.net> wrote in message news:kSOdnb0Jjst9afaiXTWJkg@comcast.com... > I created and then deleted a macro in an Excel file. > > Why do I still get the warning box (i.e. the one asking if I want to enable > or disable macros) when I o...

first time linking worksheets need some info and help
I'm trying to link 4 cells with dates in them to be inputted into the second sheet for calculation. BUT the info is in a cycle. So basically I need it to link and stay. But when I do the next cycle, I need the info to change. I do have a column that is counting the cycles. So can I make it so it'll link the info until the cycle number changes? (a Formula???) if so how do i put a link and formula together. Also if this is figured out,can you possibly link a cell to two different worksheets within a workbook? Thank You Bryan Bloom Hi, Can you give an example as to what you are...

Solver add-in and macros
I just got a new computer with XP and Excel 2003 and tried to run a macro that used to SOLVER add-in function and got a compile error. As a test I recorded a macro using the SOLVER and got the same result when I tried to run that macro. The Compile Error is "Sub or Function not defined". On the Knowledge Base it says I need to add SOLVER to the list of References in the VB Editor. When I go to the references list, SOLVER does not appear. When I open Help for VB and search for SOLVER, it finds nothing. What is going on? Why doesn't VB even recognize the existence ...

Somehow I created a Macro in a worksheet.
I created a macro in an Excel worksheet somehow. I didn't try to, it just happened. Now everytime I open that workbook, it asks me if I want to run the macro, disable it, etc. How the hell do I get rid of the macro? It doesn't show up under tools, macros. And it apparently doesn't do anything either because I can disable it and nothing different happens. Who invented this system anyway? Thanks, V When you record a macro, a module is created to store the macro code. There are instructions here for removing the module that is causing the prompt to appear: http://www.c...

Excel ask duplicate NAMES when duplicate a worksheets
I have added a NAME called "Above" where point to the cell just above the current cell. The formula is "=INDIRECT("R[-1]C",)" In some workbook, when I duplicate a worksheets, this name will remain silent and work ok. But in some workbooks, when I first duplicate a worksheets, the same name ABOVE will be duplicate and a new local name (belongs to that new worksheet) will be created. If I further duplicate that new worksheets in to a new worksheets, the third worksheets will be warned that a dupicate NAME is existed and ask whether refer to another name or use a ne...

Macro's with Ctrl or Ctrl-Shift?
When you record a new macro it asks you what Ctrl key you want to access it with. If you Edit the Properties of a Macro it asks you what Ctrl-Shift key you want to use to access a macro. How can you have more control over this to assign the proper key to a macro? Thanks. Al, I don't know what you mean by "edit the properties of a macro." You can assign a Ctrl or Ctrl-Shift combination (excluding number keys) to macros either when about to record a macro, or later with Tools - Macro - Macros - Options. If by "have more control," you mean keys other than C...

XL 2007: How to find out what keyboard shortcuts I've assigned to macros?
Over the years, I've recorded and written a lot of macros. (Probably time to take a week or two and go over them and delete at least half!) I assigned a keyboard shortcut to a lot of them. I seem to remember that before XL 2007, there was a keyboard organizer that I could go through and review what shortcuts I had already assigned to my macros. I can't find that in 2007, though. Is there an easy way to generate a list of all my keyboard assignments and what macros they go to? Ed I don't recall ever seeing any such keyboard organizer in 2007. Canned from a prev...

How do I import data from lotus123 & maintain formulas/worksheets
I am trying to convert several complex Lotus 123 workbooks with formulas into Excel 2003. How do I do this and maintain my formulas and the individual tabs (worksheets). hi, if the lotus file is a wks version or earlier, xl should open it and let you save it as an xl file. if the lotus file is a 123 version or higher, you can open the file in lotus and save it as an xl file. if you don't have lotus, find someone who does. "Ineluctable" wrote: > I am trying to convert several complex Lotus 123 workbooks with formulas into > Excel 2003. How do I do this and maintai...

Pivot tables and Macros
I was looking to be able to manipulate (ie change selections from the drop downs, not change the fields in the table or anything)and print from a pivot table using a macro. So how do I go about doing that? When I set up a macro by recording the actions that I want to do, I always get an error message when I try to run it as a macro. What specific steps are you recording, and what error message do you get? Can you click the Debug button, and see the line of code that is causing the problem? Dust For Eyes wrote: > I was looking to be able to manipulate (ie change selections from the >...

time formats #3
I have an Excel sheet with a long list of times spent on various projects. The times should all be in minutes and seconds. The first time reads 2:29 and I know that is accurate, for 2 min, 29 seconds. In the formula bar, it reads, 2:29:00 AM. Another...the cell displays 0:40 and I know that is right, for 40 seconds. But in the formula bar, I see 12:40:00 AM I want numbers, but apparently I am looking at times. I tried changing the format. When I check the format for 2:29, it comes up Custom and says it is hh:mm, not mm:ss. I tried changing it to mm:ss, but that changes the displa...

Can you link 2 worksheets together?
Say i have one worksheet and on my second one I want to reference cells from the first one? is there a formula for that>? To create a simple link: Select a cell in the second worksheet Type an equal sign Select the first sheet Click on the cell that you want to link Press the Enter key. Alesha wrote: > Say i have one worksheet and on my second one I want to reference cells from > the first one? is there a formula for that>? -- Debra Dalgleish Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html ...

New Computer #3
How do I move my settings, emails, address book, etc... to my new computer. I'm mostly concerned with Outlook because it's the program I use most often. I have an older computer running WIN2K Pro. I purchased a new Dell computer with Windows XP Pro also with Office 2003. Again how do I make my new Outlook have all the information and settings that my old computer has. I do have both computers connected on my home network and they can see each other. But I'm not sure what to copy over. Any help would be very helpful. Thank You, Paul The file you need to copy and re-use up ...

CRM 3.0
Folks Any way that we can assign leads / opportunities / other entities to teams rather than individuals? All the best Hany Hi Hany, Team ownership is not supported in CRM 3.0. Could you describe your scenario, and maybe we could provide some alternatives? Thanks -- Jay Grewal Microsoft Dynamics CRM This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights. "Electronic Workplace" <info@electronicworkplace.LoseThisBit.com> wrote in message news:O0cfzAT$FHA.140@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Folks > > Any way that we can assign leads /...

Importing #3
I had a previous version of Money and just got a new computer with Money 2004. I have a backup disk made with the info from the previous version. How can I import that into the new version? File|Restore?!? <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:075a01c3d169$a360b0a0$a001280a@phx.gbl... > I had a previous version of Money and just got a new > computer with Money 2004. I have a backup disk made with > the info from the previous version. How can I import that > into the new version? ...

EXTRACTING UNIQUE RECORD BASED ON CONDITION
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0012_01C781BF.08FB92F0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable Hello everyone! I would like to extract unique records based on a condition. For = example, how to extract unique record from column 'B' when column 'A' = has "AP" or any other desired condition. The data is as follows: A B =20 MI 70056542=20 MI 70056543=20 AP PATRICK CUDAHY INCORPORATED=20 AP PATRICK CUDAHY INCORPORATED=20 AP SUGAR CREEK ...

Create Excel macro for barcode output
I am looking for suggestions or samples of an Excel macro that will output barcodes that can be printed and then attached onto loan documents. Example: input loan # 555 and print off 20 barcoded labels - each label contains loan number + the document type. hi, you don't need a macro for that. we just got throught barcodeing our part numbers in the ware house and used excel and no macro. bar codes are just another font. excel uses 3 0f 9 barcode font. you can download others off the net. you can format a cell with this font and it will show as barcode on the sheet and numbers in th...

Debt Reduction Planner #3
The debt reduction planner on my version of Money 01 does not take the minimum payment due into account. It expects me to short some accounts to make bigger payments to other accounts. Obviously that is not feasable, as the late charges for not making the minimum payment would negate any possible savings. Is there a way to fix this so at least the minimum payment is listed? ...

Converting from Lotus 1, 2, 3 docs
I have a user who has a bunch of Lotus 1, 2, 3 spreadsheets that he is trying to convert to Excel. His version of Lotus is old (version 5), his version of Excel is 2000 sp2. The files convert but they are missing pages or headings or other unacceptable qualities. Anyone any advice? Michael If you open the files using Excel and save them to an .xls format in the current version you are losing data? A while back I needed to do this. I wrote an application in VB that loops through the files, opens them using Excel (add a reference in VB to MS Office 10) and then save them in the current ...

Calculating dates #3
Can anyone tell me what I should use (in the way of helper cells) to take any date (mm/dd/yyyy) and turn it into that same month and day for specific year? For instance, turn... 10/12/2009 into 10/12/2010 and 4/6/1998 into 4/6/2010 I'm trying to determine anniversary date based on start date and do it starting in 2010. TIA -- Jordon Try this: =3DDATE(2010,MONTH(A1),DAY(A1)) Assuming your date is in A1. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 5, 5:35=A0pm, Jordon <jordon@REMOVE~THISmyrealbox.com> wrote: > Can anyone tell me what I should use (in the way of helper cells) > to tak...

Cell References #3
I have 2 separate work sheets. I want to copy the values of cells in work sheet A to cells in Work sheet B. The values in A are separated by at least 4 rows. Cells in B where I want those values are separated by 1 row. How can I copy the values without having to enter each cell reference indivudually in B? Is there a formula to add columns or rows such as cell A1+3 = cell D1 or cell A1 + 3 = cell A4 gman Wrote: > I have 2 separate work sheets. I want to copy the values of cells i > work > sheet A to cells in Work sheet B. The values in A are separated by a > least > 4...