Extract and count unique entries in a list (Excel 2003)

I have a list of items (all text strings, but some rows are blank) in column
A. I want to extract a list of all the unique text strings and to count how
many occurrences there are of each one. I've had a look at
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique but it doesn't
quite do what I want.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Gavin

0
no-one1 (46)

Hi
if this is a one-time operation try to use 'Data - filter  - Advanced
Filter' and check 'Unique entries'

--
Regards
Frank Kabel

"gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> I have a list of items (all text strings, but some rows are blank) in
column
> A. I want to extract a list of all the unique text strings and to
count how
> many occurrences there are of each one. I've had a look at
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique but it
doesn't
> quite do what I want.
>
> Any help would be gratefully received.
>

> Gavin

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/31/2004 6:38:23 PM
Frank,
Thanks for that but unless I am doing it wrong it doesn't count how many
occurrences there are of each item.

Gavin

> Hi
> if this is a one-time operation try to use 'Data - filter  - Advanced
> Filter' and check 'Unique entries'
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > I have a list of items (all text strings, but some rows are blank) in
> column
> > A. I want to extract a list of all the unique text strings and to
> count how
> > many occurrences there are of each one. I've had a look at
> > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique but it
> doesn't
> > quite do what I want.
> >
> > Any help would be gratefully received.
> >

> > Gavin

0
no-one1 (46)
8/31/2004 6:51:29 PM
Hi
after creating this list use COUNTIF. Or simply create a pivot table

--

> Frank,
> Thanks for that but unless I am doing it wrong it doesn't count how
many
> occurrences there are of each item.
>

> Gavin
>

> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > if this is a one-time operation try to use 'Data - filter  -
> > Filter' and check 'Unique entries'
> >
> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Kabel
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > I have a list of items (all text strings, but some rows are
blank) in
> > column
> > > A. I want to extract a list of all the unique text strings and to
> > count how
> > > many occurrences there are of each one. I've had a look at
> > > http://www.cpearson.com/excel/duplicat.htm#CountingUnique but it
> > doesn't
> > > quite do what I want.
> > >
> > > Any help would be gratefully received.
> > >

> > > Gavin

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/31/2004 7:01:26 PM
Thanks very much, Frank - I didn't think about pivot tables. In fact I think
I have only ever used a pivot table once before - this will give me some
practice!

Regards,

Gavin

> Hi
> after creating this list use COUNTIF. Or simply create a pivot table
>
> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Frank,
> > Thanks for that but unless I am doing it wrong it doesn't count how
> many
> > occurrences there are of each item.
> >

> > Gavin
> >

> > "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > > if this is a one-time operation try to use 'Data - filter  -
> > > Filter' and check 'Unique entries'
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Frank Kabel
> > > Frankfurt, Germany
> > >
> > > "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> blank) in
> > > column
> > > count how
> > > doesn't

0
no-one1 (46)
8/31/2004 7:35:15 PM
Hi
maybe the followin sites are helpful for you:
http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm

--

> Thanks very much, Frank - I didn't think about pivot tables. In fact
I think
> I have only ever used a pivot table once before - this will give me
some
> practice!
>

> Regards,
>

> Gavin
>

> "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> > Hi
> > after creating this list use COUNTIF. Or simply create a pivot
table

> > --
> > Regards
> > Frank Kabel
> > Frankfurt, Germany
> >
> > "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > > Frank,
> > > Thanks for that but unless I am doing it wrong it doesn't count
how
> > many
> > > occurrences there are of each item.
> > >

> > > Gavin
> > >

> > > "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message

> > blank) in

0
frank.kabel (11126)
8/31/2004 7:52:34 PM
Thanks again, Frank.

Gavin

> Hi
> maybe the followin sites are helpful for you:
> http://www.cpearson.com/excel/pivots.htm
> http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivotstart.htm
> http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot02.html
> http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/excel-pivot-tables.htm
>

> --
> Regards
> Frank Kabel
> Frankfurt, Germany
>
> "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> > Thanks very much, Frank - I didn't think about pivot tables. In fact
> I think
> > I have only ever used a pivot table once before - this will give me
> some
> > practice!
> >

> > Regards,
> >

> > Gavin
> >

> > "Frank Kabel" <frank.kabel@freenet.de> wrote in message
> > > Hi
> > > after creating this list use COUNTIF. Or simply create a pivot
> table
> > >
> > > --
> > > Regards
> > > Frank Kabel
> > > Frankfurt, Germany
> > >
> > > "gavin" <no-one@home.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> how
> > > many

> > > blank) in
> and to
> it

0
no-one1 (46)

Auto-format in Microsoft Excel.

function to check for entry
I'll try and make this as clear as I can... I am looking for a function that will check column b,c,d,e for an entr if there is an entry then check row n in the same row for it's value. that's the first bit, then I need to be able to check the date valu (month) in column a and total it for the month. perhaps I could run the first function only looking for month=1 o something and just run it 12 times? not sure how to go about this -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com well I've got this far but it still doesn't work and gives an error: =IF(MONTH(A3:A167)=4,...

Counting number of X's in a column

Password Issue with MS Money 2003

Outlook 2003 keeps crashing #2

Excel not Access