External Data Sources

I have a spreadsheet is used by several users.  The actual
workbook is not shared, rather the file is on local
drives.  The workbook contains two worksheets that have
two separate external data sources.  One data source is a
text file.  The other data source is an excel workbook
with Sheet1 being the data source.

Should I run into file sharing conflicts?  If I set the
excel workbook that is a data source as shared, would that
avoid conflicts?

Any suggestions would be helpful.
0
anonymous (74722)

truncate the yaxis if one data point is MUCH higher than the rest
How do I truncate the y-axis of a bar graph if in the event that one data point is VERY high, and the others are very small? I would like to see the top of all the bars in my graph, but not the entire bar for the large data point. http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Charts/BrokenYAxis.html - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP Peltier Technical Services Tutorials and Custom Solutions http://PeltierTech.com/ _______ steve wrote: > How do I truncate the y-axis of a bar graph if in the event that one data > point is VERY high, and the others are very small? I would like to see t...

Finding the end of Data
I have a data set that has a sorted column filled with either numbers or "#N/A" (which are all found above the numbers) I want to select the rows that have "#N/A" in them. How to I find the last row, please? Jim Berglund Maybe it's not important to find the last row. If you don't have any other errors in that column and these errors are constants (not formulas), you could do the equivalent of: Selecting the column Then hit F5 (edit|goto)|special|constants|and select only errors In code, it would look like: Option Explicit Sub testme() ...

Sorting Grouped Data?
Hi, I have a sales spreadsheet that is grouped by vendor with customer sales info under each vendor. Is there a way to sort the vendor groups keeping the customer data in each groups as is? TIA, Dan This may work Dan. To sort in Excel all the lines need to have same columns to sort on. So a heading line and a space between Vendor Groups would be be a problem You could add 2 columns (In the Example below columns A and B) with sort data criteria so that the Heading and Space positions could be preserved. Column A defines the Vendor Group Column B defines the sort priority Then Sort b...

Data from 3 different sheets in the same workbook
We have to produce a pie chart on a new sheet which will show the percentage total of 3 different data that are in 3 different sheets but the cell's still the same (B14 in sheet1, B14 in sheet2, B14 in sheet3). I hold the CTRL button but it doesn't work. Is there a way to create this piechart without linking the 3 data in a fourth sheet? We tried in a lot of different ways but they give us errors (one of them is "reference is not valid") Thanks are there any limitations as to why you could not link to 4th sheet? "Marta" wrote: > We have to produce a pie ch...

Getting data from a closed wbook (adaptation of rondebruin's)
Hello, I tried to post this question a few days ago but did not get any answer. I am still stuck. So i try again Getting data from a closed wbook: it works very well with the CODE 1 below inspired from http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy7.htm However, I need to extract data from a cell which address varies per sheet and has not been named. So I would have expected to use an offset function from a named cell (see CODE 2 (below)but it does not work. It returns a #VALUE! any help would be greatly appreciated Thanks a million Caroline CODE 1: For i = 1 To N Dim Name As String Name =...

How can I get data validation
I want to set up one cell (F41) to contain data validation that verifies that the entered contents are greater than the contents of another cell (F28). Since F41 needs to be greater than F28, I also want to make sure that F41 can't have input if F28 is blank. The first part of my validation formula works fine by itself but the second part doesn't work. Can I combine these two validation checks in one formula as follows? If not, how should it be set up if it can be done at all? =OR(F41>F28,CELL("type",F28)<>"b") Hi =AND((F41>F28);F28<>&...

how do i import multiple data sets at one time?
I'm importing a bunch of data and I'm using the import external data command in the data menu. I click on my file and choose delimited and then add a space in the next screen. It turns out to be two columns of data. I do this 10 times and was wondering if there is a way to import all the data at one time to simply save time. If anyone out there has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance. Assuuming that the files are all of the same two-column format, in a DOS Command Prompt window: Copy File1.txt + File2.txt + File3.txt + File4.txt + File5.txt File2Import.tx...

Charts and Line Graphs comparing companies with different data
I am trying to create a chart that is a line graph in Excel 2000. I want to compare severao builders price and square feet with each company being a different color. Here is an example Company A has homes that are 2152 square feet at $162000, 2424 square feet at $169000, and 2691 square feet at $178000. Company B has homes that are 2095 square feet at $159000, 2292 square feet at $164000, and 2436 square feet at $173000. There will probably be Companys c thru H as well with different data. Can you help? I have searched the web and all this is greek to me - I need it to be in the...

Data dissapears when reformatting a chart
When I create an Excel chart and reformat the X-Y axis data, the original line dissapears and I cannot get it back even by selecting the data field again. (Large data field) The chart is in the same file as the data to be accessed, so that is not the problem. Help! You have not defined your problem in detail. Will you please explain in detail. I think you i can help you. Suggestion: Select the axis which you want to format, then go to format data series, select patterns tab, give the desired color. I think this may help. If not please feel free to contact. Zak "Nateman" w...

Money 2000 Data File Won't Open
I have been using MS Money 2000 for a number of years now. It is the ONLY version of Money I've run on my current system. I recently was forced to reformat and reload my entire OS, Windows 2000 SP4, applications and data. After doing this and trying to open my MS Money files, one personal and one business, they both have asked for passwords. Since I have a secure environment I have never password protected these files... What I've tried since faced with this problem is: 1) Restore backups that had been on a remote zip drive. They too asked for a password... 2) Read a nu...

item engineering data
In what table does Revision Level from the Item Engineering Date window reside? We would like to add it to the PO print out so that the revision level of each item is included in the PO. Thanks, Wes Wes, The Item Engineering Data is stored in table "IV_Item_ENG" (Item Engineering File, IVR10015) with primary key "Item Number". The field you are looking for would be "Revision Level" (REVISIONLEVEL_I). This is not the revision level for the Bill Of Materials and these Revision Level fields are not synchronized. Thanks, RW -- This posting is provided &quo...

How to reset HQ data files
I have an RMS system with HQ and two stores. They have been used extensively in testin, training, etc. We need to purge all this test data prior to go-live of the system. This would include transaction data, journal, historical financial data, orders, purchase orders, etc. Of course we wish to retain setup data like item records, HQ users, departments and categories, etc. I can find no reference to this information anywhere. Can you direct me to the appropriate source? Thanks in advance. ...

Getting custom entity data into an account
I have created a custom entity which stores specific info about certain types of account which I don't want the whole organisation to access - however I now realise that I want to pull selected attribute values from the custom entity into the main account body so we can do mail merges and general searches - is there any way of doing this without double entry? - the account ID is available in my custom entity ...

Match data uneven columns
Hi, I have values in A and I would like to compare that with a list of values in B. All of the values in B will be in A but the values in A may not be in B. What I would like to have happen is for the corresponding B value to line up on the same row as the A value. Does that make sense at all? Thanks Diddy In helper column C: =IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A2,B:B,0),A2,"") Copy down as needed, then either hide column B, or copy, paste special - values. -- Best Regards, Luke M *Remember to click "yes" if this post helped you!* "Diddy" wrote:...

increase font size on vertical of chart without losing data
I am using Access to create a bar chart. The chart has over 50 namesin the vertical axis. How do I increase the font size so that I do notlose names? If I increase it past 6 font size I get only every otherbar labeled....

Error on hyperlinks to external websites
When I create a hyperlink to an external website in excel and click it it gives the following error message "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer". I'm not sure whether this is an issue with Excel or with Internet Explorer. Has anybody had a similar problem and how was it resolved. Thank you ...

Data Validation-Custom formula
I'm trying to set the validation to limit entries in cell K8 to the last day of the month e.g. 31/07/2004. I'm using the formula =eomonth(k8,0)=k8 which calc correctly in the sheet. * Entering with the leading = gives an error, but when I copy the formula in the Help example it allows the leading = sign? * Then when entering 31/7/2004 or any other eomonth date, validation returns an error. How do I fix this? Hi One way using Custom: =K8=DATE(YEAR(K8),MONTH(K8)+1,0) This works on the fact that Excel believes that the 0th of a month is the last day of the month before. -- Andy. &q...

Pivot Tables with different groupings based on same data table
On a single worksheet I have a small table consisting of two columns, Date & Sales. Each row is one instance of a date with its sales. The data is in the form of an Excel 2007 "Table". With a cell in the table selected, I click on "Insert Pivot Table"; position it on the same worksheet as the data table; in the Pivot Table Field List I check both Date and Sales; then select a Date cell, Rt.Click , Click Group, and Group by weeks (7 days); thus giving me the 1st table I want and from which I can obtain the chart I want. But then I try to repeat the whole process,...

form validation determines which sheet to add data
Let's say I'm creating a form that a non tech savvy used car dealer uses to enter his newly acquired vehicles to the excel workbook. Each sheet of the workbook is a unique model year of the car. (That would allow him to quickly refer to all vehicles of a given year.) On the input form, I would like validation such that if he selected "2006" from the drop down list of vehicle years, the data from the form would be AUTOMATICALLY be added to sheet "2006", regardless of which sheet is currently showing at the time. What would the code look like? I su...

how do i plot last n data point #2
I am using the john walkenbach book excel2000 formulas. When i try the example plotting the last n data points. when i try to alter the ranges in the graph as per the example i keep getting errors on the formula the formula is =series(,sheet1!date,sheet1!sales,1) what am i doing wrong ...

copying data from one book to another
hi, i have 2 workbooks. one, wbk1, contains 50 records(say) like a125 a237 a458 b965 b45 c115 c897 c564 c262 the second workbook ,wbk2, contains sheets named as a, b c i want to copy records from wbk1 starting with 'a' to wbk2 sheet named as a, similarly records starting with 'b' to wbk2 sheet named as b, and it goes on can it be done, pls help thanks a lot --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ If you are looking to get rid of one workbook and spreading the data over several sheets in another, then try the following. In the source workbook break the a1...

Grouping Data for a Chart
"I have the following raw data and I want to create a chart. Age Type I Type II Type III 16 20.2 24.5 23.5 17 19.8 23.6 19.8 18 17.6 24.8 18.7 19 23.5 25.3 18.2 I'm not sure how to group this so "Age" is on my X-Axis and "Type" are the individual groups for each age. I transposed the data and that doesn't work either. HELP! A setup like this will put Age and Type on the X axis with Data as your first series. Be sure t...

archive.PST file shows no data
Hi, Outlook 2003 A client changed out here PC. I recovered her .PST files from the old PC. 1 file named: Archive1.PST shows a size of 5.58 MB but when I use Outlook to open it the following folders: Archive, Deleted Items, Sent Items, Search folder appear but I do not see any data in any of the folders. Any ideas on this? Thanks, Frank Youve checked the obvious, Views? "Frank" <ffarero@cfl.rr.com> wrote in message news:48c07e38$0$5568$9a6e19ea@unlimited.newshosting.com... > Hi, > Outlook 2003 > A client changed out here PC. I recovered her .PST files from ...

Money Loses Reconciliation Data on Restore???
This is the second time this has happened to me. :( I had to restore ms money 2005 from a backup after moving the program to another computer or reinstalling the program after wiping a computer. I very carefully backed up the data first. It's all there, all except the reconciliation data! It looks like I've never reconciled my bank at all! What am I doing wrong? It's bad enough I can't seem to figure out how to print a reconciliation report showing uncleared transactions, etc., after performing a reconciliation. Thanks for any suggestions. In microsoft.public.money, C...

Handling Missing Fields in Raw/Imported Data
This is what I want my database to do: Import some raw data (about boats) in the form of an Excel spreadsheet. Some of the fields imported will be superfluous - no problem - they'll be ignored. Some will be essential - no problem - if they're not there it isn't going to work. But some of them will be 'optional'. Eg. I really need to know (roughly) how big a boat is so I need to have either a "Boat Type" field OR a "Boat Name" field. (I could have both, in which case I'll just use the name and look up the exact length in a table). So my current p...